PDA

View Full Version : Water damage restoration

niceguyeddie
09-22-2014, 02:48 PM
A flood took place in my home due a broken pipe at the neighbor's house.

The remediation company came out, removed a bunch of drywall and quarantined a couple areas of my home. One area being the stairwell to my my living room. How serious is this stuff? Should I pass on through, so I can watch tv and etc or should I really just stay out? This stuff has to stay up til Friday.

riverrunner1984
09-22-2014, 02:53 PM
Im thinking they want to dry is so no mold forms. im sure watching TV would be ok for a couple hours but then again, Im not a pro...lol

niceguyeddie
09-22-2014, 03:06 PM
Im thinking they want to dry is so no mold forms. im sure watching TV would be ok for a couple hours but then again, Im not a pro...lol

I just need to pass through one zippered access to the other to get to the living room. My living room is fine, it's just the stairwell leading to it that is closed off.

HB Vic
09-22-2014, 03:11 PM
People used to live with mold for decades or ions. It wasn't until lawsuits started flying that it because a hit.

Granted, most mold isn't good for you. But unless you snort it, you're probably ok for brief periods of time.

But then again, I'm not a doctor :D

riverrunner1984
09-22-2014, 03:12 PM
I say, go through and watch your TV.
Like HB basically said, they are doing it to cover their ass.

niceguyeddie
09-22-2014, 03:23 PM
Thanks, Yea I figured it was just some liability thing. I can't see how just passing through there is going to cause physical harm.

Stainless
09-22-2014, 03:58 PM
Can't advise to the mold safety, of course I have my opinion,lol.

I will testify that these remediation company's are doing well though. Had it happen 10 years ago and they billed insurance co about 17K for dry out and repairs.

CH3NO2

HB Vic
09-22-2014, 04:11 PM
I wouldn't worry about it. I lived with mold for years. :action-smiley-060:

HB Vic
09-22-2014, 04:44 PM
We all hope your insurance covered everything.Not giving you a hard time,just remembering the same events when I went thru it,except I was hell of a lot younger.Takes about 12 months to ride it out.

My insurance company, Dewey, Cheatum and Howe, is all over it. Hopefully it will be resolved soon :D

jordy
09-22-2014, 05:23 PM
I will testify that these remediation company's are doing well though. Had it happen 10 years ago and they billed insurance co about 17K for dry out and repairs.

CH3NO2

I had it happen a year ago and was well into 6 figures by the time it was done. The fight with the insurance company was amazing and not a good time, but you have to become a pain in the ass to get it taken care of to your satisfaction.

As to the original post, they're doing it to cover their asses. Make sure they are thorough on the dryout and have an independent inspector come out and sign off if you're not happy with their work. Unless you hired them, they're not looking out for you or your interests, but rather either trying to save the insurance company money or put money in their pockets.

jordy
09-22-2014, 05:32 PM
Here's some of the during... only took up a year of my life or so. :shock:

Stainless
09-22-2014, 05:46 PM
Here's some of the during... only took up a year of my life or so. :shock:

Man that was bad!

You anywhere near Tempe tonight? I'm here for a bid walk in the morning.

CH3NO2

jordy
09-22-2014, 05:50 PM
Man that was bad!

You anywhere near Tempe tonight? I'm here for a bid walk in the morning.

CH3NO2

I am not, but should be one of these days when things settle down.

Yeah, they dropped all the drywall, and then replumbed and rewired it. While I had it torn down, I did some upgrades, including extra insulation and new dual pane windows. Seems to have made a huge difference in the utility bill area. Insurance companies suck to deal with though when it comes to valuation on property that was destroyed.

Fought, fought, fought, submitted all kinds of documentation, fought some more. Don't know if the finishes were done on the cabinets at this point, but it was a very long time coming.

Stainless
09-22-2014, 06:02 PM
I am not, but should be one of these days when things settle down.

Yeah, they dropped all the drywall, and then replumbed and rewired it. While I had it torn down, I did some upgrades, including extra insulation and new dual pane windows. Seems to have made a huge difference in the utility bill area. Insurance companies suck to deal with though when it comes to valuation on property that was destroyed.

Fought, fought, fought, submitted all kinds of documentation, fought some more. Don't know if the finishes were done on the cabinets at this point, but it was a very long time coming.

Came out nice!

10-4, wanted to see if you want to watch MNF and grab some wings and beers. I spotted a place called Devils Advocate, driving to hotel.

CH3NO2