PDA

View Full Version : gps receiver installation

sangermike
09-11-2014, 03:55 PM
I purchased a autometer gps with a puck style receiver from keith eckhart about 1 1/2 to 2 years ago. as my boat had delays in completion due to the shop it was at it is finally time to install the receiver at a new shop. The box and instructions were lost at the shop it was at and i was lucky to get what i got. the receiver has 6 wires unlike the pucks that all of hardin marine business sell now. the extra wire is purple in color. I called the techs at keith eckhart where it was purchased and they only have the 5 wire pucks. Has any one installed a puck with this wire configuration on a autometer gps or is this receiver for another type gps head. any input would be appreciated

314joey
09-11-2014, 04:00 PM
Maybe google it and see if you can get the old instructions that way, I've done it several times before with other stuff, good luck.

sangermike
09-11-2014, 04:27 PM
thanks good idea just googled and found information

Menace Marine
09-11-2014, 05:07 PM
Google knows everything.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mrs.K034
09-11-2014, 05:11 PM
Let us know if you need additional help with this, we had the same issue with Drake's boat and got it working.

314joey
09-11-2014, 05:14 PM
google makes all of us look smart, some just smart and some smart azzez.........................lmao.

Glad you found what you're looking for, it's worked for me many times.

sangermike
09-11-2014, 08:08 PM
thanks Candace I'll let you know if we don't get it working

Mrs.K034
09-11-2014, 08:36 PM
thanks Candace I'll let you know if we don't get it working

For sure, I'm pretty sure if I got in there I would remember what wires went where to get it to work because I was really careful with it.. If not we can always goo look at drake's real quick and get it done. It was actually pretty simple once we had all the wire diagrams (that weren't with anything either) If I remember correctly, there was still a wire from the puck that didn't need to be used.. I was working with a auto meter and lavorski though.

Stainless
09-11-2014, 08:50 PM
Probably not the same, but I have a Livorsi puck signaling a Mercury Smartcraft instrument. I'm using 4 wires, red pos, black neg, and a blue one and a white one going to the Nema connections. I think there is an orange wire coming from puck that is unused.

CH3NO2

Mrs.K034
09-11-2014, 08:54 PM
Probably not the same, but I have a Livorsi puck signaling a Mercury Smartcraft instrument. I'm using 4 wires, red pos, black neg, and a blue one and a white one going to the Nema connections. I think there is an orange wire coming from puck that is unused.

CH3NO2

I'm pretty sure that's exactly what it was!

Stainless
09-11-2014, 09:02 PM
I'm pretty sure that's exactly what it was!

Did you use the little round splice connectors for telephones? They have silicone in them and make a waterproof connection as well as crimp the 24 gauge wire.

CH3NO2

Mrs.K034
09-11-2014, 09:04 PM
Did you use the little round splice connectors for telephones? They have silicone in them and make a waterproof connection as well as crimp the 24 gauge wire.

CH3NO2

Yep!!! Was a pain in the ass!!

Stainless
09-11-2014, 09:07 PM
Yep!!! Was a pain in the ass!!

Lol, yeah I tried 20 guage butt connectors and they didn't work that well and remembered what the telephone guys use. It's not a pretty splice but it's behind the dash. ;)

CH3NO2

Mrs.K034
09-11-2014, 10:05 PM
Lol, yeah I tried 20 guage butt connectors and they didn't work that well and remembered what the telephone guys use. It's not a pretty splice but it's behind the dash. ;)

CH3NO2

Just strip more off and fold it in half, then crimp it.. Works just fine... I tugged on it before I even sealed the heat shrink..

Mrs.K034
09-11-2014, 10:06 PM
I feel like this shouldn't be in the sandbar. Lol.

Stainless
09-12-2014, 06:10 AM
I feel like this shouldn't be in the sandbar. Lol.

Awh why, we talk about everything else here. Besides it's cool to talk to a lady that wrenches on her boat. :)

CH3NO2

314joey
09-12-2014, 07:03 AM
Just strip more off and fold it in half, then crimp it.. Works just fine... I tugged on it before I even sealed the heat shrink..

A Gal that know her way around a tool box, that's cool.

Brian
09-12-2014, 08:09 AM
Post a pic of the back of the gauge. Autometer has changed the wiring on the setup over the years. Basically you will only need to use 3 wires off the puck. I can tell you how to do it after I see what you have.

jordy
09-12-2014, 08:19 AM
I think there is an orange wire coming from puck that is unused.

CH3NO2

I think that extra wire is for jet boat use only. Wiring it in doubles the speed so you can sell it as a 100mph boat on Ebay. :hilarious:

Stainless
09-12-2014, 08:48 AM
I think that extra wire is for jet boat use only. Wiring it in doubles the speed so you can sell it as a 100mph boat on Ebay. :hilarious:

Lmfao!! :p
Grads would love to use that comment.

CH3NO2

Mrs.K034
09-12-2014, 07:31 PM
Lmfao!! :p
Grads would love to use that comment.

CH3NO2

Lol, he's probably reading posts right now, just wishing he had said that!! But, anyways... Mike, did they get it figured out? If not, we can come down this weekend and take a look.

sangermike
09-12-2014, 08:33 PM
Yes it was to simple dave just hooked up the wires as the 5 wire puck and appears to be working fine. we'll know when it gets wet soon.I appreciate the offer.

papaletch4130
09-14-2014, 10:34 AM
How far did Matt make it on the boat before he got sick Mike? Oh and what the hell post up some pics of that beautiful ride!!

sangermike
09-14-2014, 01:34 PM
after Matt got sick i decided to check out the cam (he did not install that or any of the other things that i'll talk about) the cam which i was told was a solid roller turned out to be a used hydraulic crane cam with rust and pits on one or two of the lobes not the new cam i paid for. having solid roller lifters and valve springs on the merlin heads set up for solid rollers i'm not sure how long the motor would have last. nothing matt did was wrong but the motor was completely taken apart. I took the boat to connolly's marine. he recommended that i take the motor to todd's performance. It turned that used rod and main bearings were installed not the new clevite bearings that I paid for. The only thing that did not have to be redone was the wiring and stuff that Chris and Candace did. dave connolley removed the shaft log that was counter sunk from the bottom leaving two holes in the shaft log that were not used. I told (name not mentioned) to install them from the top the way the were. when the shaft log was removed the shaft almost hit the side where it went through the boat. when dave removed the whip strut it moved even more. dave removed the strut and aligned every thing correctly the hole were filled and bottom re- gelled. the motor was so dirty that the cylinders had marks on them just from turning it over by hand. the motor has been completely rebuilt with a new solid roller cam, lifters , new bearings and push rods. I was luckey that i had a bad feeling about the cam that we didn't have a cam card for. to be continued

sangermike
09-14-2014, 01:57 PM
45558455574555645559[ATTACH=CONFIG]45560 Here's the progress so far. all the plumbing is complete with push lock hose and fittings, just finishing some wiring on the motor and velvet drive and adjustments to the interior. oh yea we need to run the motor set the valves hot and some misc stuff and it will be wet soon. I can't thank matt, chris ,candace, dave connolly and todd at todds performance enough. almost done

Mrs.K034
09-14-2014, 02:10 PM
Awesome, Can't wait till she's done, Mike!!

papaletch4130
09-15-2014, 06:18 PM
That really sucks to hear Mike. Yeah I had mentioned a couple times that I would have had the motor looked at but good thing you did.. Cant wait to see pics of you and the wife heading up river in it..

sangermike
09-15-2014, 10:27 PM
yea that will be soon, both tod and dave have been incredibly fair and fast and knowledgeable with their work. I heard mat was back to work if he is please let me know. the last time i talked to him he didn't sound to good so i haven't called as i didn't want to bother him.

sangermike
09-17-2014, 08:01 PM
started the motor today fired right up. only things left are final adjustment on cavitation plates, run the motor and adjust timeing and valves when hot then install the interior. the left tank is not reading but I only put in 7 gallons don't know if its stuck from sitting so long but that will be easy and not a major issue. won't be long now

Mrs.K034
09-17-2014, 08:50 PM
started the motor today fired right up. only things left are final adjustment on cavitation plates, run the motor and adjust timeing and valves when hot then install the interior. the left tank is not reading but I only put in 7 gallons don't know if its stuck from sitting so long but that will be easy and not a major issue. won't be long now

Nice, Mike!!! Let us know when you have it back home!

niceguyeddie
09-17-2014, 10:22 PM

Very cool boat! Do you have any pictures of her with the interior in or better pic of the windshield?

Who made the tanks? If so, IMCO installs a short sender in their tanks in order to make the driver think they have less fuel (less likely to run out). I don't think they're set a whole 7 gallons high, but who knows, many tanks are built different.

sangermike
09-18-2014, 11:57 AM
no pictures of the interior in the boat or of the windshield. the windshield was done by finney' s plastics and powder coating here in havasu the old one was shot. by the end of next week i should have photos of everything hopefully on the water. if the sending unit isn't working i think it will be a tank removal to get it out(this winter). i'll put more gas in it first. I don't know who made the tanks, i think by 84 sanger was using the aluminum tanks that are in it. I put 15 gallons in the right side and it showed 1/2 full.

sangermike
09-20-2014, 09:14 AM
The motor was run, valves adjusted and timing set everything appears to be ok . (rear sear needs minor mods to clear velvet drive) the boat is at home. Dave offered to take the boat out with me before all the interior is in to check for any issues which we'll do next Sunday hopefully, in laws will be here this week so there would not have been any boating Todd also wants to go out to pull spark plugs to check if jets need to be changed. I'm hoping to be at Parker Oct. Candace i have all that wire left over I think chris said he could use it to rewire a boat, anyways it's yours if you want it.