PDA

View Full Version : Allison 1000 transmission

2manymustangs
08-19-2014, 08:58 AM
I will give props to Chevy for the exclusive use of the Allison 1000 in their Duramax trucks / "lighter duty" trucks...

These are some bad mofos...

Here are some pics from a one ton 200k mile utility 4x4 work truck... The trans was still working well but the owner was noticing hard UP and DOWN shifts...

There was a needle/roller thrust betwen the low/reverse gear shaft and the output shaft that failed (common failure point)... The frictions/steels looked like new... I suspect that the metal in the system caused the pump housing to start to fail/wear prematurely and start to loose pressure causing the shift condition...

2manymustangs
08-19-2014, 09:02 AM
Worn pump housing and failed needle/shaft face (where they idle together / overrun each other):

The face of this shaft should be flat smooth/ground surface. The face of the gear should have a the needle bearing that failed, and should lift right out (but its gone)...

2manymustangs
08-19-2014, 09:27 AM
Bad part:

New thrust:

The Doctor
08-19-2014, 09:32 AM
The real trick to these units is to use Castrol "Transynd" fluid from your first change on. I've had a number of them (Bruce, you've ridden in them) and I've never met a person with an Allison failure who used the Transynd fluid in them.

Stainless
08-19-2014, 09:55 AM
Great Trannys, had one in an '02 Dually, and presently have one in 2500HD and Motorhome. The 8.1 engine and Allison trans were why I bought the MoHo vs the V-10 Ford setup. ;)

2manymustangs
08-19-2014, 10:17 AM
My buddies at the shop here do SWEAR by the synthetic for these big slipNgrips... THey say that there is no doubt about the increase in hard parts life with the full synthetic on high high mileage transmissions...

Most of their work is on trash trucks with a BAZILLION miles on them... THese little 1000s are about 1/3 the diameter for the frictions/steels/torque converters...

Paul65K
08-19-2014, 11:07 AM
Hey 2MM.......all I can say is "You know your shit".....very cool!! :thumb:

2manymustangs
08-19-2014, 11:08 AM
Hey 2MM.......all I can say is "You know your shit".....very cool!! :thumb:

I had a good teacher on these autos... :D my favorite brain teaser is the AOD fully hydraulic OVERDRIVE valve body... :)

One clarification on this Allison failure, this transmission is from a 4x4 and the needle thrust that failed is smaller in the earlier version of the 1000 that has a transfer case hanging on the back end. The 2wd versions and the upgraded 4x4s have the larger thrust bearing in that cluster for the output shaft to ride against...

2manymustangs
08-19-2014, 01:01 PM
The BIGGIE size...

The Doctor
08-19-2014, 01:50 PM
Hey Bruce, which Fords have these Allison trannys? :D

JBS
08-19-2014, 02:51 PM

My Ford has a Cummins with an Allison auto. 1997 F700

The Doctor
08-19-2014, 03:18 PM
My Ford has a Cummins with an Allison auto. 1997 F700

Great! I have a Ford dealer just a couple miles down the street! Which model should i look for with the Allison?

2manymustangs
08-19-2014, 04:06 PM

The ones pictured above are from trash trucks... The airport tugs use a medium size Allison and they are breaking the cases quite often since the tugs essentially don't have springs/suspension...

I think to get an Allision in a FORD your going to have to shop for a F550 and up, I really dont know BUT I know. I have a guy for that... :)

"The 2016 F-650 and F-750 trucks, which will go on sale in the spring of 2015, will be assembled at Ford's plant in Avon Lake, Ohio, and feature chassis, engine and transmissions all built in-house.

For years, the two vehicles were built on chassis made in Escobedo, Mexico, under a joint venture with Navistar, using diesel engines supplied by Cummins and transmissions supplied by Allison."

Personally I would pick the version JBS has :D A Cummins engine and an Allision trans should be a stout and reliable combo for a LONG time...

The Doctor
08-19-2014, 07:35 PM
I'm yanking your chain Bruce. :D

Remember where both Buzzz and Paul work. They've already seen and tested everything Ford will put out in the next few years. Ask them about the Kingsford Ranch edition F-150. Photos already hit the internet with that one but you might never find them under that "nickname."

2manymustangs
08-20-2014, 04:57 AM
I'm yanking your chain Bruce. :D

Remember where both Buzzz and Paul work. They've already seen and tested everything Ford will put out in the next few years. Ask them about the Kingsford Ranch edition F-150. Photos already hit the internet with that one but you might never find them under that "nickname."

:smilies_mit_hut018:

Kingsford Ranch, I like it...

Ya ya ya, I know you guys are chebby guys... :thumbsUp:

jordy
08-20-2014, 07:28 AM
My buddies at the shop here do SWEAR by the synthetic for these big slipNgrips... THey say that there is no doubt about the increase in hard parts life with the full synthetic on high high mileage transmissions...

Most of their work is on trash trucks with a BAZILLION miles on them... THese little 1000s are about 1/3 the diameter for the frictions/steels/torque converters...

Transynd is the way to go with the Allison. From cooler operating temps, to 100K miles in between changes in normal conditions, and even like 50,000 miles in severe conditions, like your trash trucks. Those were always a shop favorite.

To get an idea the abuse that a trash truck takes, you just have to watch one run down the road... they idle, then WFO to the next can, idle, then WFO all over again. Not to mention all the trash and debris that gets packed around the transmissions and in the coolers. Those things take a licking!

Sharp shooter
08-20-2014, 12:36 PM
I have the Gen 4 six speed behind an 8.1. Sounds like next fluid change (soon) I'll switch to the Transynd. :cool

Stainless
08-20-2014, 01:39 PM
2MM, I changed the fluid in Motorhome about 8 months ago and used Transynd. I also added a Mag Hytec deep sump aluminum pan. Knowing there's still old oil in the converter, am I pissing $$ away not being able to get a complete evacuation and mixing Transynd?

2manymustangs
08-20-2014, 03:05 PM
2MM, I changed the fluid in Motorhome about 8 months ago and used Transynd. I also added a Mag Hytec deep sump aluminum pan. Knowing there's still old oil in the converter, am I pissing $$ away not being able to get a complete evacuation and mixing Transynd?

I dont think you are... How many miles are on the thing and how many miles do you travel per year???

Stainless
08-20-2014, 03:26 PM
I dont think you are... How many miles are on the thing and how many miles do you travel per year???

It has 43000 miles ~, I'm second owner and do not know service history. I put about 5000 miles a year on it.
Based on the previous owners care of unit I would guess it had a fluid change at 25K miles.

CampbellCarl
08-20-2014, 05:56 PM
Brucie, ask your trans guys why the Allison 643 in my moho heats oil FAST in second gear. Towing, when it drop to 2nd, the trans oil goes from 195 to 240 in minutes. I try to back off in second and get her into 3rd when the temp begins to drop and goes right back to 195 in 4th.

2manymustangs
08-20-2014, 05:59 PM
It has 43000 miles ~, I'm second owner and do not know service history. I put about 5000 miles a year on it.
Based on the previous owners care of unit I would guess it had a fluid change at 25K miles.

I'm going to check and see if the masters suggest a follow up change to get more of the original/conventional fluid out of the system, the converter itself holds a bunch of fluid in these bad boyz... I don't think its an issue but I will check and see what they say... The fluid manufacturers say its ok to mix but I will see if these guys have a different opinion...

Brucie, ask your trans guys why the Allison 643 in my moho heats oil FAST in second gear. Towing, when it drop to 2nd, the trans oil goes from 195 to 240 in minutes. I try to back off in second and get her into 3rd when the temp begins to drop and goes right back to 195 in 4th.

Will do Capn... :captain:

jordy
08-20-2014, 10:04 PM

It won't hurt anything. It's a step in the right direction and way better than the original oil at 100%. You won't hurt anything to run it that way, and next time you can change it the same way and have a higher ratio. The other option is to keep an eye out for transmission specials at the Allison dealer as they run them for a full flush and Transynd fill. I know some people who know some people in that field and will see what I can find out next time I talk to them. :wink_002:

Stainless
08-21-2014, 03:26 AM
It won't hurt anything. It's a step in the right direction and way better than the original oil at 100%. You won't hurt anything to run it that way, and next time you can change it the same way and have a higher ratio. The other option is to keep an eye out for transmission specials at the Allison dealer as they run them for a full flush and Transynd fill. I know some people who know some people in that field and will see what I can find out next time I talk to them. :wink_002:

You talking about WW Williams? That's where I bought the Transynd, good people! Yea, let me know if you hear anything.

2manymustangs
08-21-2014, 05:18 AM

The FULL FLUSH is a good system and thoroughly purges the lines/cooler/converter where alot of the nasty stuff accumulates.

The guys that own the trans shop where I play around have REZNOR waste oil furnaces, they burn the trans oil and have a unlimited supply of heating oil... :D As you can imagine, one trash truck holds about 20 gallons or more... THey are next door neighbors to the big St Louis REPUBLIC/Waste Mgmt/BFI landfill and have a steady stream of bench jobs coming in, they are pushing back on the "pull outs" since they are getting older...

jordy
08-21-2014, 08:58 AM
You talking about WW Williams? That's where I bought the Transynd, good people! Yea, let me know if you hear anything.

That'd be them. I don't know anyone in the Tucson office anymore, I don't think, but still get an employee discount out of the Phoenix shop. :happy:

2manymustangs
09-18-2014, 05:19 AM

As per YODA, there is an adjustable lock up valve/modulator (AKA "clicker dicker" :) ) that controls where your converter locks up. SOme applications are set up to lock the converter at/in different shifts (works off the line pressure and is adjustable).

As we all know, a converter that isn't in lockup OR in the case of towing, possibly not in lock up AND not in fluid coupling (slipping) you will get LOTS-O-HEAT.

The adjustable lock up of the converter is set differently depending on the application of the transmission. As per YODA most of the time this trans is set to lock up at the same time as your 1-2 shift but it could be different in a moho.

If this heating is something you have been seeing for a long time I would guess that all is OK and when you are towing in 2nd your converter isn't locked and the slippage is heating the fluid. WHen the converter gets to the point of "fluid coupling" the heating effect of the oil goes way way down. (think of driving a drag car on the street that has a high stall converter, they get HOT).....

No way of knowing for sure what your lock up is set for in your moho, the manufacturer may be able to tell you that. It's a possibility that you have a set of clutches slipping but you would see this getting worse and worse over time I would think.

Sorry for the delayed answer big feller... :beer

niceguyeddie
09-18-2014, 09:34 AM
Great transmission!

I was a little overkill with my 6 speed 1000. I'd change the fluid every 30k, Wix external spin on filter every oil change, and drop the pan to swap internal filter (also Wix) at every 50k. I'm one of those guys that you want to buy something used from! :)

My truck was lifted, tuned and got some serious use. I never had any transmission issues and never noticed enough debris on the magnet to worry over. I sent trans fluid and oil samples to the lab yearly for analysis.

2manymustangs
09-18-2014, 01:32 PM
Great transmission!

I was a little overkill with my 6 speed 1000. I'd change the fluid every 30k, Wix external spin on filter every oil change, and drop the pan to swap internal filter (also Wix) at every 50k. I'm one of those guys that you want to buy something used from! :)

My truck was lifted, tuned and got some serious use. I never had any transmission issues and never noticed enough debris on the magnet to worry over. I sent trans fluid and oil samples to the lab yearly for analysis.

Better to OVERkill than UNDERkill IMHO... :)

B&D Marine
09-19-2014, 10:30 AM
I have a 3000 series Allison in my motorhome. When I changed the trans fluid in my motorhome I went on Allison's website and Mobil 1 Delvac synthetic trans fluid was on their approved list. I had also heard to only use the Transynd. I called Allison and spoke to a tech guy and he said use either Transynd or the Mobil 1. Anyone heard of any problems using Mobil 1?

hpboats83
09-21-2014, 07:59 AM
When I had my duramax/Allison, I used the Amsoil Torque Drive and was pretty happy with that; however since that time, Amsoil has come out with some new stuff.