PDA

View Full Version : Tool kit

KAP
08-18-2014, 04:42 PM
Ok!

I wanna hear from the creative/McGyver boaters.

Who has a bad azz tool kit for their boat...describe the items...and where to get them.

No Harbor Freight stuff lol.

Photos are great if you have it for your boat let me see it.

This is difficult for me because I want to bring the Snap On rolling tool chest everywhere.

Goals it has to be in a really small tool bag....to be carried on a cat style boat. A cannot live without it type deal.

I need to go boating after Powell I'm having serious H2O withdrawals.

LB247XS
08-18-2014, 05:08 PM
I carry a WESTWARD 100+ piece COMBO wrench/socket kit from GRAINGER.small FLUKE digital meter and a SNAP-ON1/2" drive breaker bar and socket to remove prop and a assortment of screwdrivers

HB Vic
08-18-2014, 05:27 PM
I don't carry any tools. Never have really. Maybe a Leatherman. Most important tool is my phone and AJ from Barrett Custom Marine's cell number lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sharp shooter
08-18-2014, 05:35 PM
I kept one of these under the seat of my Hondo for 12 plus years. Didn't really use it though... I don't take anything in the Biese since I don't go very far.

28eliminator
08-18-2014, 05:49 PM
16" long canvas tool bag with:

Ratchets and all necessary sockets, extensions, etc
Screw drivers
Allen set with extra 1/8" ones, and 1 long one for MSD cap.
Allen socket for exhaust and water pump bolts
Needle nose, dikes, side cutters
End wrenches and 2 crescent wrenches
Knife and watertight tape
Multimeter, wire, connectors and fuses
Merc shifter tool
Spare water pump
Spare MSD cap and rotor
Spare plugs
Jumper cables
Plastic divided container with all assorted stainless bolts, nuts, washers, Allen screws and fasteners
Plastic divided container with spare everything Holley :)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

KAP
08-18-2014, 05:50 PM
I kept one of these under the seat of my Hondo for 12 plus years. Didn't really use it though... I don't take anything in the Biese since I don't go very far.

I like that Jerry because one of the items in the tool bag must be a crescent...small Phillips and good Craftsman medium sized flat blade screwdriver, diagonal cutters and zip ties, pliers, black electrical tape....would like some allen or hex head tools but don't really know any creative stuff like the tool above.

I would like to carry some tools in a water proof bag so things don't get wet or rust out.

Some gear heads must have thought about a bad azz tool bag...for boaters maybe even stainless tools etc..

OH Where can you buy that???

Stainless
08-18-2014, 06:02 PM
I don't carry much, what I do has been mentioned except a long flexible hose cleaner(36") in case of clogged water passage. It worked for me once on a CLE lower. Have not had to use it on my 3.0 Sportmasters. I don't have a pic with me but it's something you might find at a hardware store that sells cooler parts. It's used for cleaning out the spider on a swamp cooler.

KAP
08-18-2014, 06:07 PM

Ratchets and all necessary sockets, extensions, etc Ahh hell no this would take up a whole tray.
Screw drivers Only two of each
Allen set with extra 1/8" ones, and 1 long one for MSD cap. Now on Allen/Hex Head stuff it needs to be creative.
Allen socket for exhaust and water pump bolts Nope I have two motors.
Needle nose, dikes, side cutters Side cutters YES
End wrenches and 2 crescent wrenches Hmmm you got me thinking about crescents two would be nice.
Knife and watertight tape This I forgot about that self sealing miracle tape stuff and a knife duh.
Multimeter, wire, connectors and fuses Fuses always plus they are small already have them on boat
Merc shifter tool Nope
Spare water pump Nope
Spare MSD cap and rotor Nope
Spare plugs Nope
Jumper cables This one is really hard when you need it!
Plastic divided container with all assorted stainless bolts, nuts, washers, Allen screws and fasteners
Plastic divided container with spare everything Holley :) Nope

Good start but remember I have a twin engine boat and all the things I said Nope to were great ideas but not absolutely necessary for me because I could limp in on one motor.

The tools I want need to be... absolutely necessary must have items.

Your knife although basic in thought IS A HUGE MUST HAVE why because if you get fishing line caught up on props or kelp you need to get the job done. One that floats would be bad azz and had a lanyard so if your cutting away stuff if it slipped out of your hand and end up at the bottom of who knows were your SOL.

That is why this crescent wrench put up by Jerry is bad azz it provides redundant tools for you just in case you need another knife or thingama jig.

Keep thinking its a great start.

I want a great light...but don't know if flashlight or small spot light is better. I bought a Energizer head lamp that works bitchin in the boat. I used it at night to put the cockpit cover on. Lets you use both hands and is LED puts out tons of light.

Mrs.K034
08-18-2014, 06:13 PM
Damn, I say just take a tow rope.. Get back to your tools, fix it on the trailer, then get back on the water. Lol.

Mrs.K034
08-18-2014, 06:14 PM
OR just don't break?? 😉

HB Vic
08-18-2014, 06:23 PM

That's bad ass, I want one. Where did you get it?

Sharp shooter
08-18-2014, 06:28 PM
I like that Jerry because one of the items in the tool bag must be a crescent...small Phillips and good Craftsman medium sized flat blade screwdriver, diagonal cutters and zip ties, pliers, black electrical tape....would like some allen or hex head tools but don't really know any creative stuff like the tool above.

I would like to carry some tools in a water proof bag so things don't get wet or rust out.

Some gear heads must have thought about a bad azz tool bag...for boaters maybe even stainless tools etc..

OH Where can you buy that???

How about one of those cheap, tiny, Chinese, multi tool kits with case....?
http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51Oct7P42aL.jpg

Not sure where to get the one like I had. I got that thing like 20 years ago....

HB Vic
08-18-2014, 06:39 PM
Found it on ebay. Totes multi tool. Like $20.

Mrs.K034
08-18-2014, 06:43 PM

Not sure where to get the one like I had. I got that thing like 20 years ago....

Still no room in the Beismeyer for one of those, but for a cat, should be perfect, IMO..

28eliminator
08-18-2014, 06:47 PM
Good start but remember I have a twin engine boat and all the things I said Nope to were great ideas but not absolutely necessary for me because I could limp in on one motor.

The tools I want need to be... absolutely necessary must have items.

Your knife although basic in thought IS A HUGE MUST HAVE why because if you get fishing line caught up on props or kelp you need to get the job done. One that floats would be bad azz and had a lanyard so if your cutting away stuff if it slipped out of your hand and end up at the bottom of who knows were your SOL.

That is why this crescent wrench put up by Jerry is bad azz it provides redundant tools for you just in case you need another knife or thingama jig.

Keep thinking its a great start.

I want a great light...but don't know if flashlight or small spot light is better. I bought a Energizer head lamp that works bitchin in the boat. I used it at night to put the cockpit cover on. Lets you use both hands and is LED puts out tons of light.

I don't care about your boat, you asked what I had :D

Those are the basics, can't remember everything that's in there, but I'll tell you what John... It's the same toolkit (with a few enhancements, and replacements) that I've had for the last 24 years of boating, so I'll go ahead and stick with it :) it's done me good for a long time.

I do like the multi tool dealio though, might have to add that.

Menace Marine
08-18-2014, 07:53 PM
Power probe
Crescent wrench
Screwdriver with assorted tips
Electrical pliers
Assorted electrical connectors and fuses
Electrical tape
Basic wrenches and sockets
Magnet

Everything fits in a small tote bag and stores easily under the bow or under the rear seat.

Sharp shooter
08-18-2014, 08:14 PM
Still no room in the Beismeyer for one of those, but for a cat, should be perfect, IMO..

The only way you could have a tool box in a k boat would be if it was bolted down. :yes:

Mrs.K034
08-18-2014, 08:16 PM
The only way you could have a tool box in a k boat would be if it was bolted down. :yes:

And who wants to put the extra bolts in the boat??

KAP
08-18-2014, 08:57 PM
Well so far we have Jerry's crescent wrench as a must have item.

Next we have Dave S with the rescue tape and floating knife.

Mrs. K034 with the idea of Vessel Assist or Sea Tow....I have Boat US towing...not on point but hey its good to have.

Mark my words I will have a kick ass tool kit.

I like this knife plus it has a compass and floats. Here is the rescue tape as well.

Mrs.K034
08-18-2014, 09:15 PM

Mrs. K034 with the idea of Vessel Assist or Sea Tow....I have Boat US towing...not on point but hey its good to have.

I like this knife plus it has a compass and floats. Here is the rescue tape as well.

Wait, you have this all wrong, you don't go boating by yourself! Lol! Everyone goes out with friends, am I correct? You don't pay to be towed in, just don't break.. And if they do.. Tow your friend in!! 😉 then fix their shit and get back to what you were doing.

Menace Marine
08-18-2014, 09:56 PM
Forgot to mention the anchor. Not necessarily a tool but it's pretty hard to fix your boat and hold it off the rocks at the same time.

KAP
08-18-2014, 11:01 PM
Wait, you have this all wrong, you don't go boating by yourself! Lol! Everyone goes out with friends, am I correct? You don't pay to be towed in, just don't break.. And if they do.. Tow your friend in!! �� then fix their shit and get back to what you were doing.

You are not correct. If I had to wait for friends to go boating I wouldn't boat at all. Your reasoning is flawed if we adhere to it we can say the same about carrying a PFD throw it away... just don't end up in the water unconscious. Also anchors what do you need that for when you have docks and trailers....lol.

The ocean is a big place and so are some Lakes. Powell recently was an eye opener you break down in a cove... it's gonna be a long while getting help or back to a dock.

Menace Marine:

Agreed! I carried two with me on the last outing. I'm just looking for great ideas about what tools to carry. The real tough one is jumper cables to carry or not...that is a queston??? I was thinking of a light weight version with clips on the ends just to get that little ummph to start the motors...from a passing vessel.

The other dilemma is allen or hex head issues...when you need sae its metric and vice versa same with sockets and box wrenches. On that topic Craftsman has these clench wrenches that are awesome and universal for a variety of sized nuts along with a crescent you really can manage things.

28eliminator
08-19-2014, 11:06 AM

I actually had to use that rescue tape once on my bilge pump line... it worked good :thumbup:

Paul65K
08-19-2014, 11:28 AM

Ratchets and all necessary sockets, extensions, etc
Screw drivers
Allen set with extra 1/8" ones, and 1 long one for MSD cap.
Allen socket for exhaust and water pump bolts
Needle nose, dikes, side cutters
End wrenches and 2 crescent wrenches
Knife and watertight tape
Multimeter, wire, connectors and fuses
Merc shifter tool
Spare water pump
Spare MSD cap and rotor
Spare plugs
Jumper cables
Plastic divided container with spare everything Holley :)

Sent from my iPad using TapatalkJust out of curiosity..........Does "Fix-A-Flat" count as part of the tool kit :hilarious:

Mrs.K034
08-19-2014, 11:35 AM
You are not correct. If I had to wait for friends to go boating I wouldn't boat at all. Your reasoning is flawed if we adhere to it we can say the same about carrying a PFD throw it away... just don't end up in the water unconscious. Also anchors what do you need that for when you have docks and trailers....lol.

The ocean is a big place and so are some Lakes. Powell recently was an eye opener you break down in a cove... it's gonna be a long while getting help or back to a dock.

Menace Marine:

Agreed! I carried two with me on the last outing. I'm just looking for great ideas about what tools to carry. The real tough one is jumper cables to carry or not...that is a queston??? I was thinking of a light weight version with clips on the ends just to get that little ummph to start the motors...from a passing vessel.

The other dilemma is allen or hex head issues...when you need sae its metric and vice versa same with sockets and box wrenches. On that topic Craftsman has these clench wrenches that are awesome and universal for a variety of sized nuts along with a crescent you really can manage things.

This was supposed to be funny.. I failed! Oh well, maybe next time you'll get my humor. 😉

28eliminator
08-19-2014, 11:44 AM
Just out of curiosity..........Does "Fix-A-Flat" count as part of the tool kit :hilarious:

:kissit:

You around this weekend? The wife and I will be out Friday night

Paul65K
08-19-2014, 11:53 AM

You around this weekend? The wife and I will be out Friday nightYup....just sent you a text

2manymustangs
08-19-2014, 12:28 PM

Just out of curiosity..........Does "Fix-A-Flat" count as part of the tool kit :hilarious:

I REALLLLLLLLLLY like Billy B's idea of having a spare mounted to a complete hub/spindle assemby bolted to the trailer so that you have the WHOLE shizzy right there in the event of a bearing failure, flat OR a complete spindle failure... I never forgot Billy saying that...

Ziggy
08-19-2014, 12:29 PM

You around this weekend? The wife and I will be out Friday night

Yup....just sent you a text

Where's dinner at? :D

Paul65K
08-19-2014, 12:29 PM
My place Friday night.....you guys available?

28eliminator
08-19-2014, 12:32 PM
Where's dinner at? :D

My place Friday night.....you guys available?

We're gonna be late... Don't let Ziggy drink all the good stuff..

Sent from somewhere on the water

Ziggy
08-19-2014, 12:35 PM

LOL...don't think he knew he was inviting me and Jan too.:D

Paul65K
08-19-2014, 12:39 PM

OK.....I got quite a few boxes of wine.......I'm sure we won't run out :hilarious:

The Doctor
08-19-2014, 01:58 PM
My tool box is a constant evolution. It consists of everything I desperately needed before but didn't have when something happened and, it evolves every time something new happens. :D

My most important tool these days is a floating GPS to mark precisely where the boat went down, since I have a Hallett flat at the bottom of Powell and we couldn't find it, even with hired divers. It also provides proof of speed for the doubting clowns that can, and do exist. :D

2manymustangs
08-19-2014, 03:48 PM
My tool box is a constant evolution. It consists of everything I desperately needed before but didn't have when something happened and, it evolves every time something new happens. :D

My most important tool these days is a floating GPS to mark precisely where the boat went down, since I have a Hallett flat at the bottom of Powell and we couldn't find it, even with hired divers. It also provides proof of speed for the doubting clowns that can, and do exist. :D

AMEN brother... :)

One of the most impressive and ingenious on the road, in a pinch fixes that I recall was someone who broke a leaf spring and half of the spring was still holding the axle in place but wouldnt support the boat/trailer... Into their tool stash they went and used a large rubber hammer between the axle and the frame of the trailer... The rubber hammer handle was taped in place on the leaf spring with duct tape and a ratchet strap was used to help anchor the axle into position so the rubber hammer could act as the spring... :)

Cant recall who that was, from the OLD HotBoat days...

28eliminator
08-19-2014, 04:07 PM
OK.....I got quite a few boxes of wine.......I'm sure we won't run out :hilarious:

:fsakes:P

KAP
08-19-2014, 04:46 PM
This was supposed to be funny.. I failed! Oh well, maybe next time you'll get my humor. ��

I thought you were playing around more emoticons would help my vision is not real good late at night.:no::happy:

KAP
08-19-2014, 04:51 PM

If the boat goes down Doc that will be the least of my worries i.e...trying to find it. That is the job for the insurance company...they just need to have the right address for where they mail the check too.

As far as tool kit:

I'm working on it while some people make dinner plans. You think I would get at least an invite for beverages and discussion:angry-smiley-018::angry-smiley-018:.

I will have one here pretty quick and probably will share via video what is in it.

Or I could do a call out thread and have 10 pages of replies and lines of takers....laughing...but probably true.

Mrs.K034
08-19-2014, 04:57 PM
I thought you were playing around more emoticons would help my vision is not real good late at night.:no::happy:

Lol, ok.. More visual less words. Got it.

2manymustangs
08-19-2014, 05:53 PM
If the boat goes down Doc that will be the least of my worries i.e...trying to find it. That is the job for the insurance company...they just need to have the right address for where they mail the check too.

As far as tool kit:

I'm working on it while some people make dinner plans. You think I would get at least an invite for beverages and discussion:angry-smiley-018::angry-smiley-018:.

I will have one here pretty quick and probably will share via video what is in it.

Or I could do a call out thread and have 10 pages of replies and lines of takers....laughing...but probably true.

My 2 cents... Spend $20-$40 bucks on a radio shack DVM (digital volt meter) and read the manual, get familair with checking the basics... I rarely travel without mine ( I have a $250 Fluke TRUE RMS meter )...

http://youtu.be/FnTi6n4lYNo

http://youtu.be/dmEr1d2xs_c

The Doctor
08-19-2014, 07:45 PM
If the boat goes down Doc that will be the least of my worries i.e...trying to find it. . . .

But I just finished this boat up with a fresh BBC, brand new Menkens Stainless Steel prop that worked beautifully on that thing, all stainless tanks, hardware, etc. My wife just upholstered the boat to match the candy paint striping to boot. I wanted all that stuff back because we continue to build boats around here and that stuff wasn't cheap!

We didn't sink it. It just broke a prop shaft coupler and we were kicking it in when a family in a tuna boat blew by at top speed (about 20) throwing a two foot wave into it without ever knowing anything happened as they drove off into the sunset. If ignorance is bliss, that was one blissful family, indeed. :D

Singleton
08-20-2014, 09:00 AM
I have 2.
One for the boat and one for when trailing the boat long distances.

KAP
09-07-2014, 05:13 PM
Ok here it is simple:

Fits in a real small bag.

The knife is in the kit I forgot to put it in the spread on the floor.

Sharp shooter
09-07-2014, 05:17 PM
Ok here it is simple:

How about fuses and zip ties?

KAP
09-07-2014, 05:20 PM
Those are always in the boat.

Good call but those are non-negotiable...lol. Had a bilge pump blow a fuse one time and it saved the boat...so I always have them on board.

GRADS
09-07-2014, 05:21 PM
Ok here it is simple:

Just curious but how could a level possibly come in handy on a boat?

KAP
09-07-2014, 05:36 PM
Grads you crack me up.

LOL waiting for someone to ask that...it came with the kit so I left it in the bag. I will probably yank it.

Yeah I know it's suppose to be nothing but the essential's. I still like that combo crescent Jerry pointed out. I just went to Sears and picked up everything.

The clench wrenches were really cool adjustable like a box wrench but two wrenches cover a variety of size nuts.

The barrel handled screwdriver is really cool. It has all kinds of bits in the handle and ratchets.

I want a long Single 0 cable with clips on each end for jumper cable...just enough to turn the motors over in case I have really weak batteries.

1976renegade
09-07-2014, 06:06 PM
The craft mans 220 piece set, has every thing hopefully you will not need.

ChumpChange
09-07-2014, 06:30 PM
I don't take anything in the Biese since I don't go very far.

The only tools you need is a floor jack, spinner wrench and a spare tire. :D

Napanutt
09-07-2014, 07:05 PM

Ouch!!!
Trailer queen tool kit at its best.

sangermike
09-07-2014, 08:54 PM
Ouch!!!
Trailer queen tool kit at its best.cell phone and towing insurance

Sharp shooter
09-08-2014, 05:32 PM

And a tow rope. :(

niceguyeddie
09-08-2014, 07:06 PM
Ok here it is simple:

I have a similar set up, but what the hell is the hammer for?

ChumpChange
09-08-2014, 07:18 PM

To tap on the starter while your buddy turns the key. Yup, used that trick one time at the launch ramp. :D

niceguyeddie
09-08-2014, 08:05 PM
To tap on the starter while your buddy turns the key. Yup, used that trick one time at the launch ramp. :D

That's what the crescent wrench is for. :)

ChumpChange
09-08-2014, 08:16 PM
That's what the crescent wrench is for. :)

I thought that was for dodgeball training. If you can dodge a wrench, you can dodge a ball.

KAP
09-09-2014, 07:38 AM

It's a persuader and some of the stuff on my boat always ends up needing a little persuasion:action-smiley-060:.

You forgot the tape measure I mean really what am I going to do with a tape measure:smile:.

Sharp shooter
09-09-2014, 07:49 AM
You forgot the tape measure I mean really what am I going to do with a tape measure:smile:.

It's for female quality control. What do I win? :action-smiley-069: