PDA

View Full Version : OUCH! That's gonna leave a mark

GRADS
08-17-2014, 04:36 PM
What the hell happened here?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pg8lFzeKgEM

ONE-A-DAY
08-17-2014, 04:52 PM
Link doesn't work on river Dave's. Crazy shit.

ONE-A-DAY
08-17-2014, 04:56 PM
Grads can you post the link?

ONE-A-DAY
08-17-2014, 04:57 PM
Where did the truck and trailer disappear to so fast?

ChumpChange
08-17-2014, 05:00 PM
Damn that sucks. Things can happen quick!

Where did the truck and trailer disappear to so fast?

You can see them pullin up the ramp.

HB Vic
08-17-2014, 05:11 PM
Wow that's a bummer. Just guessing he got the throttle and shifter confused.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sharp shooter
08-17-2014, 06:30 PM
What an idiot!!!!! And what was with that crazy idle?

GRADS
08-17-2014, 07:47 PM
Link doesn't work on river Dave's. Crazy shit.

What is this place you speak of?

GRADS
08-17-2014, 07:54 PM
Any guesses on what happened here? Stuck throttle? It obviously wasn't stuck in gear. Novice boater not used to using offshore controls?

Sharp shooter
08-17-2014, 07:59 PM
Any guesses on what happened here?

My first guess would be what most of you are addicted to. :D

http://shechive.files.wordpress.com/2010/05/a-super-drunk-171.jpg?w=500&h=375

GRADS
08-17-2014, 08:38 PM
My first guess would be what most of you are addicted to. :D

http://shechive.files.wordpress.com/2010/05/a-super-drunk-171.jpg?w=500&h=375

That was my first thought. Although it looks like they are launching not retrieving. Did he show up to the ramp drunk?

ChumpChange
08-17-2014, 08:40 PM
That was my first thought. Although it looks like they are launching not retrieving. Did he show up to the ramp drunk?

I'm guessing that even though that might not be the case in this incident, people do. ;)

ONE-A-DAY
08-17-2014, 09:17 PM
He was removing quagga mussels from the hull

Ricks raft
08-17-2014, 09:29 PM
Offshore controls certainly a possibility. After over a thousand hours with single gear/throttle. It took more than a few hours for separate controls to become natural!

GRADS
08-17-2014, 09:31 PM
When you have flames like that the boat only has one speed!!!! ;)

Menace Marine
08-18-2014, 08:19 AM
Why does it sound like a nasty big power two stroke?

Menace Marine
08-18-2014, 08:20 AM
Just to add insult to injury you know the islander banned him for life after this.

Ziggy
08-18-2014, 01:25 PM
Someone said stuck throttle..............buuuuuuuuuuuut.............. ..... someone else seemed to have a more plausible cause. Weird on/off idle due to it being in neutral with throttle lever engaged hitting a max neutral idle setting...until you put it in gear, then the throttle opens up.

2manymustangs
08-18-2014, 02:19 PM
Maybe his little four year old got ahold of the controls?

I wonder how the rest of his boating day went?

Sharp shooter
08-18-2014, 03:23 PM
He was removing quagga mussels from the hull

Lol!! Weather that was the plan or not! :D

spike morelli
08-18-2014, 08:10 PM
What an idiot!!!!! And what was with that crazy idle?

Sharps...I was thinkin' the very same. Glad you said it. X10 on the first statement, really puzzled on the idle thing as well. Advise to that guy, ...leave boating, consider toaster repair.

Mrs.K034
08-18-2014, 09:07 PM
Sharps...I was thinkin' the very same. Glad you said it. X10 on the first statement, really puzzled on the idle thing as well. Advise to that guy, ...leave boating, consider toaster repair.

Lol!! I agree..

WESTERNAERO
08-18-2014, 10:44 PM
Apparently with blue motors and offshore hand throttle split shifters, there is a neutral position rev limiter deal. He was in neutral and throttle forward and stuck which caused the the motor surge. Being inexperienced he revved the motor and then engaged reverse which didn't help and in a panic shifted forward. At that point shit is going down fast and wasn't in the right mind to shut it down. End result is the ramp. Shit happens, luckily nobody got hurt.
Now, can I make the augment that every thing needs foot throttles? Just saying, never did like hand throttles of any kind.

HB Vic
08-18-2014, 10:54 PM
Its very rare that I do anything wrong when it comes to boating (LOL), but one time several years ago I had a Mach 26 with a HP500 and offshore hand controls.

While tied up at the dock, a dock line pushed the throttle almost wide open (boat not running) and I did not notice. I fired up the boat and it hit 4000rpm instantly. Scared the absolute shit out of everyone on the boat including me. So within milliseconds I hit the throttle (actually the shifter) forward. The boat died. When I figured out what I did I reset everything and refired the boat. Started right up. Put it in gear and nothing.

I ended up shearing the lower main shaft. It looked like it was made that way, the upper portion had a beautiful twist in it. The lower portion was cut clean in half.

Thankfully no one was hurt, except my wallet :D

WESTERNAERO
08-19-2014, 12:00 AM
I've launched every boat we've owned, three of them with offshore controls, and have never had a problem. I personally feel the offshore controls are easier. Sorry Westernaero, but I'm going to have to disagree that foot throttles are the answer. It sounds like inexperience may have been the problem. I'd be happy to show that driver how it's done ;)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Pretty sure he experienced a mechanical issue with the controls. A loose or slipping cable would cause this. Sometimes working and sometimes not. If he's new with this setup, this is what happens. Go slow and learn the vehicle you're operating.
Kate, you just haven't experienced a mechanical failure and by watching the video you should be thankful. I don't think the guy was a idiot, I don't think he realized what was happening until it was too late.

GRADS
08-19-2014, 07:35 AM
Pretty sure he experienced a mechanical issue with the controls. A loose or slipping cable would cause this. Sometimes working and sometimes not. If he's new with this setup, this is what happens. Go slow and learn the vehicle you're operating.
Kate, you just haven't experienced a mechanical failure and by watching the video you should be thankful. I don't think the guy was a idiot, I don't think he realized what was happening until it was too late.

I think the guy was an idiot.

Paul65K
08-19-2014, 07:39 AM
If I was speculating this is exactly what I would be thinking.......but since no one ever speculates on the internet......I'll just agree with you :D

GRADS
08-19-2014, 07:43 AM
A simple turn of the key or tug on the lanyard and this wouldn't even be an issue.:dumb_ass:

Paul65K
08-19-2014, 08:14 AM
A simple turn of the key or tug on the lanyard and this wouldn't even be an issue.:dumb_ass:
True dat!!!!.......on the other hand if you watch the video it seems to all have happened within about 2-3 seconds......when you factor in the heightened heart rate, the non recognition of the issue and adrenaline......maybe this wasn't as simple a "Solution" as it would seem from the comfort of one's keyboard.....just sayin' :Rolleyes

Ziggy
08-19-2014, 12:33 PM
True dat!!!!.......on the other hand if you watch the video it seems to all have happened within about 2-3 seconds......when you factor in the heightened heart rate, the non recognition of the issue and adrenaline......maybe this wasn't as simple a "Solution" as it would seem from the comfort of one's keyboard.....just sayin' :Rolleyes

Camera person said Oh My Gawd how many times?

Rock_Bottom
08-19-2014, 12:57 PM
I posted this video on Facebook and one of my friends said his throttle got stuck.. I still believe this could have been easily avoided. 44591

Sharp shooter
08-19-2014, 01:45 PM
I posted this video on Facebook and one of my friends said his throttle got stuck.. I still believe this could have been easily avoided.

It still doesn't make sense. If your boat was aimed at the launch ramp and you aren't that far back from it, why apply that much gas even momentarily?

Everything I see points at operator malfunction which may have been compounded by mechanical issues. JMO.

Rock_Bottom
08-19-2014, 01:47 PM
It still doesn't make sense. If your boat was aimed at the launch ramp and you aren't that far back from it, why apply that much gas even momentarily?

Everything I see points at operator malfunction which may have been compounded by mechanical issues. JMO.

Yep I think that as well, no reason to give it much throttle at all in a no wake

Paul65K
08-19-2014, 02:27 PM
Yep I think that as well, no reason to give it much throttle at all in a no wake

Sent from my iPhone using TapatalkIf I was guessing I'd bet he grabbed the gear lever and got the throttle.....when he kicked it into Fwd the throttle was still engaged.....must have really Jolted itself into gear with that much throttle!!

spike morelli
08-19-2014, 09:29 PM
I must admit right up front, that I have zero experience with this type of throttle set up, or any type of "offshore" ( pun intended ) shift/throttle, but I can tell you this much......I believe even my sister, who happily doesn't know much about engines, would probably HEAR that the engine(s) sounded funny. My ears told me that something was askew with the idle from the very beginning. That boat should have been shut down by the operator because the engine(s) was telling him something. It's a point we all should acknowledge, boating is a motorsport, listen to your engine, it should be warmed up , settled down, and idling well before attempting to be underway. By the posts, it appears that many of you heard a problem too.

GRADS
08-29-2014, 05:29 PM
Almost 10,000 hits in a week on the video I posted....that's 10,000 people that saw Grads for Moderator.:thumb:

riverrunner1984
08-29-2014, 08:45 PM
Almost 10,000 hits in a week on the video I posted....that's 10,000 people that saw Grads for Moderator.:thumb:

I saw it on FB and couldn't believe it lol