PDA

View Full Version : San Diego to Catalina

KAP
07-25-2014, 04:26 PM
Thinking about running this trip here real soon.

Has anyone done this with a powerboat.

It seems really easy but I know not to mess with the ocean.

I can do it easy with the fuel onboard. One way is 60.4 miles.

Can anyone share their experience any caveats or advice.

I know carry a VHF, PFD's and PLB or EPIRB and the rest of the safety gear. Plus carrying a lot of fresh water.

I would like to harbor hop up to it Oceanside, Huntington etc...any ideas.

ChumpChange
07-25-2014, 04:31 PM
You can pick me up in Huntington. That's about all I got. :D I have run from Long Beach to Catalina. The ocean is a BIIIIGGG place.

jordy
07-25-2014, 04:42 PM
Depending on the swell, it will be a nice downhill ride to SD. The ride up could be a little bumpy. The trip to Catalina is always different. Have been in rough water in the morning going over and on pure glass in the afternoon coming back, have been smooth both ways, have been rougher than shit both ways. Always a roll of the dice it seems.

Havasuing
07-25-2014, 04:42 PM
I've pretty much run the entire SoCal coastline plus Catalina, Santa Barbara Island, the Coronado Islands and Ana Capa in boats much smaller than yours. Just pick your weather and try to avoid fog (it's never fun). Make sure you have a GPS and a conventional magnetic compass on board as a backup. Hopping from San Diego to Oceanside is a nice run -- then up to Newport, Huntington or Long Beach. The crossing from Long Beach to Avalon is probably the easiest route. When you're at Avalon, make the run up past Long Point to the west end and into Two Harbors. If you feel really adventuresome, you can run the backside of Catalina but probably best to do it in a counterclockwise direction -- from west end to east end. Make a 3 or 4 day trip out of it -- lots of fun.

KAP
07-25-2014, 05:37 PM
Great posts! Any details about what to have specifically on board?
Mateo only stop for C-Cups or better bud...now if you had a special bottle of Tequila or Remy...be on the dock lol!

Ziggy
07-25-2014, 05:48 PM
Never been myself but some old fishermen employees did it regularly out of O'side. They'd turn on the autopilot and go below to sleep the ride over at night. :shock::yikes:
Other times he'd trailer to Dana and leave from there.
Seemed really sketchy to me but he did always make it back.

2manymustangs
07-25-2014, 05:49 PM
THe afternoon winds can REALLY kick things up...

We went from Long Beach several times and the auto pilot did everything except serve us drinks... From Long Beach / Alamitos Bay to Avalon its pretty much a visual deal on most days...

I would call ahead and check with the Avalon harbor master to see if they have a "can" available IF your staying overnight, since my inlaws moved my connections with the owners of the cans at Avalon are thin but I could make a few calls IF your planning on spending the night... A phone call ahead would prolly be your best bet...

The ski racers are over to Avalon and back in 50 minutes +/- if that gives you any idea of the early morning conditions/speeds... After morning it gets choppy QUICK...

You could follow the wake of the Catalina Express that makes daily runs (several times per day) from SanDiego to Avalon... :)

Due west from Dana Point or nearly due south from the Federal Breakwater at Long Beach...

IF you come up next weekend for the circle races at Marine Stadium (Alamitos Bay) I could set you up with a side tie on a 50' slip that is about 200-300 yards from the race event...

https://maps.google.com/maps?q=Alamitos+Bay,+Long+Beach,+CA&hl=en&ll=33.761489,-118.121202&spn=0.011221,0.022638&sll=38.304661,-92.437099&sspn=5.421498,11.590576&oq=alamitos+bay&t=h&hnear=Alamitos+Bay+Marina+Center,+Marina,+Long+Bea ch,+Los+Angeles+County,+California&z=16

jordy
07-25-2014, 05:59 PM

GPS is good, as is a compass. My Spectre had both in dash, and I kept a backup just in case. A ship to shore radio is a must have in case you have issues. Cell phones are sketchy, especially when there is fog. We ran it a few times with fog, and it's wild. Dark, damp, and you're running along essentially blind, then you hit what amounts to a wall and it's bright as day.

The radio is a must to hail the harbor master and get your can assignment. We've had cans on the outside and not had any issues, but we've also seen boats sink on the outer cans.

Another trick, if you have a bunch of people with you, drop them at the dock, then go out to the can assignment with a buddy and tie up. The boats that ferry you to shore charge you by the head out and again to come back. It's easy to drop $100+ bucks that could be better spent at the bar getting people out and back.

2manymustangs
07-25-2014, 06:18 PM
^^^ Absolutely get a can inside... OR you may have your crew >>> :puke:

Havasuing
07-25-2014, 07:17 PM
One final thought. If you are going to overnight in Avalon, and have never used their mooring can system, take a few minutes and watch a youtube instructional video or two on how to do it. You don't want to look like a complete novice in front of an entire harbor.

2manymustangs
07-25-2014, 10:13 PM
One final thought. If you are going to overnight in Avalon, and have never used their mooring can system, take a few minutes and watch a youtube instructional video or two on how to do it. You don't want to look like a complete novice in front of an entire harbor.

FOrtunately my father in law schooled me on the set up in advance or I would have looked like a TOTAL novice :D good advice ^^^

Hey KAP, do you have easy access bow cleats on that beast??? What is the beam +/- of the KAPmobile???

Have some fenders handy just in case... With the low tides and STRONG winds overnight we were bumping into the yacht next to us, fortunately we had plenty of fenders handy... I would hate to see your paint get jacked up in a situation like that...

jordy
07-26-2014, 12:25 AM
If you've never been there, they make good points. Either way, the water is typically very clear. There is a buoy to grab with a tie to secure the bow, which will be pointed out towards the East. From that, you can pull the line that ties to the stern tie, and then goes to an anchor block that you'll tie off to the stern, and I know that doesn't make much sense, at least until you're on top of it. YouTube vids will make that a very clear process, and as I suggested before, drop the non-essential people at the dock and get the boat set.

WMC
07-26-2014, 11:16 AM
Mateo only stop for C-Cups or better bud...now if you had a special bottle of Tequila or Remy...be on the dock lol!
ok pick Wendi and I up

Sent from my XT907 using Tapatalk

KAP
07-26-2014, 02:31 PM
2ManyMustangs:

That is a great offer we are getting ready for Lake Powell. I am thinking of doing this trip when we get back.

As for the mooring system in Catalina I am familiar with it. Jordy you brought up a great point about dropping people off first:action-smiley-035:. Excellent tip. The last time we could have saved some cash by dropping people off first and less of a wait. Plus, having just one other person is far better in the cockpit of a cat than having everyone play musical seats.

You know coming up for the Long Beach circle races would be awesome. I never thought of that as a added bonus. The thing is if we are set on spending time on Catalina being in Long Beach defeats the whole idea of the trip. Plus, if we wanted to watch the races we could drive up... and drink/hotel it the whole weekend.

WMC you are too funny...your beautiful wife definitely qualifys:captain:

Do you stay close to land or go with what the GPS navigation directs you? Typically the GPS is a direct line. If something were to go wrong it seems you might want to be closer to land i.e...or in the lane of boat traffic. This is easier for Seatow or Vessel Assist and probably less money or easier with one engine.

jordy
07-26-2014, 02:38 PM
Jordy you brought up a great point about dropping people off first:action-smiley-035:. Excellent tip. The last time we could have saved some cash by dropping people off first and less of a wait. Plus, having just one other person is far better in the cockpit of a cat than having everyone play musical seats.

Yeah, we did it a few times before we figured that little gem out. Cat, big vee hull, it doesn't matter the boat, having room to get around and set the mooring is always a bonus, aside from the extra drink money.

Do you stay close to land or go with what the GPS navigation directs you? Typically the GPS is a direct line. If something were to go wrong it seems you might want to be closer to land i.e...or in the lane of boat traffic. This is easier for Seatow or Vessel Assist and probably less money or easier with one engine.

I've had a waypoint set every time I've gone out and back, which makes it nice with the surge. Heading back from Catalina and going in a straight line will usually land you somewhere around Dana Point without correction. I had a waypoint marked for Avalon and a waypoint set for the mouth of Newport. After that, just follow the arrow. :smile:

Havasuing
07-26-2014, 03:40 PM
Kap -- I'd recommend not running too close to the coast. First, lots of inshore kelp beds between San Diego and Long Beach -- avoid going through those, they most likely will foul/plug your engine cooling system. Secondly, if you're running close to shore and you have a problem (a mechanical that puts you dead in the water -- you do have a some extra security with two engines) things can happen rather quickly -- like an onshore breeze that pushes/drifts you rapidly into the surfline and the beach, you definitely don't want that. As a backup, always carry a good anchor and a couple (at least 150 to 200') of feet of line for just such an emeregency. Toss it overboard first and then search out the problem. Even if it isn't holding, it will slow down your drift. And one more last thing -- if you really want to have some additional peace of mind on board, you might want to invest in a self-inflating liferaft (Winslow) just in case it ever escalates to an "abandon ship" moment.

2manymustangs
07-26-2014, 08:12 PM
2ManyMustangs:

That is a great offer we are getting ready for Lake Powell. I am thinking of doing this trip when we get back.

As for the mooring system in Catalina I am familiar with it. Jordy you brought up a great point about dropping people off first:action-smiley-035:. Excellent tip. The last time we could have saved some cash by dropping people off first and less of a wait. Plus, having just one other person is far better in the cockpit of a cat than having everyone play musical seats.

You know coming up for the Long Beach circle races would be awesome. I never thought of that as a added bonus. The thing is if we are set on spending time on Catalina being in Long Beach defeats the whole idea of the trip. Plus, if we wanted to watch the races we could drive up... and drink/hotel it the whole weekend.

WMC you are too funny...your beautiful wife definitely qualifys:captain:

OK, so we will see you at the races next weekend??? :D

Come over to the dark side of the stadium...