PDA

View Full Version : Donate Blood Get 2 Concert Tickets

nowski
07-05-2014, 12:52 PM
I've been donating blood at The American Red Cross for a few years now and belong to the 2 gallon club. I went to the KLOS Blood Drive last year for the 1st time and received 2 concert tickets for my donation. It's for a great cause and you get concert tickets to boot. Check out this years concert line up...

July 26 – KLOS Company Picnic with Santana at Verizon Wireless Amphitheatre (Courtesy of Live Nation)

July 29 – Boston / Cheap Trick at The Forum (Courtesy of Nederlander Concerts)

Aug 1 – Chicago/REO Speedwagon at The Greek Theatre (Courtesy of Nederlander Concerts)

Aug 7 – Michael McDonald/Toto at The Greek Theatre (Courtesy of Nederlander Concerts)

Aug 24 – YES at The Greek Theatre (Courtesy of Nederlander Concerts)

Sept 26 – *Heart at the LA County Fair (Courtesy of Los Angeles County Fair)

Oct 10 – Experience Hendrix at The Greek Theatre (Courtesy of Nederlander Concerts)

Oct 3 – Crosby, Stills & Nash at The Greek Theatre (Courtesy of Nederlander Concerts)

More concerts to be announced!!!
*Free admission to the L.A. County Fair on 9/26. Concert admission is not guaranteed. Tickets may be obtained at 3:00p and will be given out on a first come first served basis and are not guaranteed.

Here is the info and locations for the up coming KLOS Blood Drive.

http://www.955klos.com/common/page.p...8884&is_corp=0

Stainless
07-06-2014, 05:46 AM
Wish they offered something like that here, sure I'm in the 2 gallon category too.

CH3N02

riverrunner1984
07-06-2014, 11:30 AM
Sad to say, I have never donated blood...Not because I am scared or anything, just never really actually thought about it.
Then again, I have never really been asked either.
I may have to do it now...

Stainless
07-06-2014, 11:56 AM
Sad to say, I have never donated blood...Not because I am scared or anything, just never really actually thought about it.
I may have to do it now...

I do it through my employer couple times a year. Red Cross will come to your office if there are 20 +- donors, makes it pretty easy.

CH3N02

nowski
07-06-2014, 12:35 PM
I may have to do it now...Five Benefits to Donating Blood.

1. The Joy of Saving Human Lives

2. Free Health Check-up

3. Reduces Risk of Heart Disease

4. Burns Calories (It even burns 650 calories for every pint given.)

5. Reduces the Risk of Cancer

Findings have shown that donating blood reduces the risk of heart attacks and even cancer.

It is thought that the benefits arise from lowering high iron levels.

Iron affects how thick and sticky the texture of the blood is. High iron levels causes the blood to be thicker.

Raised iron levels also accelerate the oxidisation process of cholesterol.

This can affect blood consistency and create increased friction as it travels through blood vessels.

As this increases wear and tear to the lining of arteries it could then contribute to cardiovascular disease.

Because donating blood removes some of its iron content, it may therefore have a protective benefit if done on a consistent basis by helping thin the blood.

According to a study from the Journal of the American Medical Association, researchers found that those aged 43 to 61 had fewer heart attacks and strokes when they donated blood every six months.

A study of 2,682 men from Finland found they had an 88 per cent reduced risk of heart attacks than those who don’t donate, reported Medical Daily.

Likewise, a study published in the Journal of the National cancer Institute also links iron to an increased cancer risk as it’s believed to increase free-radical damage in the body.

In line with this theory, a four-and-a-half-year study involving 1,200 people found those who made bi-annual blood donations had a lower incidence of cancer and mortality than those who didn’t because blood donations lowered their iron levels.

However, these benefits depend on making donations on a regular basis, rather than once in a while... Jim

riverrunner1984
07-06-2014, 12:45 PM
Five Benefits to Donating Blood.

2. Free Health Check-up

Findings have shown that donating blood reduces the risk of heart attacks and even cancer.

Iron affects how thick and sticky the texture of the blood is. High iron levels causes the blood to be thicker.

This can affect blood consistency and create increased friction as it travels through blood vessels.

As this increases wear and tear to the lining of arteries it could then contribute to cardiovascular disease.

Because donating blood removes some of its iron content, it may therefore have a protective benefit if done on a consistent basis by helping thin the blood.

According to a study from the Journal of the American Medical Association, researchers found that those aged 43 to 61 had fewer heart attacks and strokes when they donated blood every six months.

A study of 2,682 men from Finland found they had an 88 per cent reduced risk of heart attacks than those who don’t donate, reported Medical Daily.

Likewise, a study published in the Journal of the National cancer Institute also links iron to an increased cancer risk as it’s believed to increase free-radical damage in the body.

In line with this theory, a four-and-a-half-year study involving 1,200 people found those who made bi-annual blood donations had a lower incidence of cancer and mortality than those who didn’t because blood donations lowered their iron levels.

However, these benefits depend on making donations on a regular basis, rather than once in a while... Jim

Thanks for the info.....Ill make it a point to donate.
Does it take a while, or do I need to get pre-approved or something or just show up and say Im here to donate?

Stainless
07-06-2014, 12:47 PM
Five Benefits to Donating Blood.

2. Free Health Check-up

Great info, I did not know this. ;)

CH3N02

nowski
07-06-2014, 01:33 PM
Thanks for the info.....Ill make it a point to donate.
Does it take a while, or do I need to get pre-approved or something or just show up and say Im here to donate?

During the KLOS Blood Drive you can pretty much just show up. During most Red Cross Blood Drives they require an appointment. There is always a questioner / screening process every time you donate blood. The whole process takes between 30 - 45 minutes. Once you donate your blood they thoroughly check it for the recipient and the donor. If there is a problem with your blood they'll contact you immediately that could end up saving your life.

Almost 2 years ago now a buddy of mine (Steve) went to donate blood and during his visit it was found that he didn't have enough blood to donate. They (The American Red Cross) told him to go the the emergency room immediately because his own blood level was dangerously low. Come to find out my buddy had Multiple Myeloma (Blood Cancer) and his body was no longer producing blood. Steve ended up in The City of Hope and had a bone marrow transplant. The end result on that faitful visit to donate blood was the day that saved Steve's life...

nowski
07-07-2014, 05:21 PM
Here is Their website for anyone interested in making an appointment. Enter klos for the sponsor... http://www.redcrossblood.org/