PDA

View Full Version : Dry Ice

Stainless
06-22-2014, 10:00 AM
Using it first time...any pointers, other than don't touch it bare handed?

CH3N02

ChumpChange
06-22-2014, 10:06 AM
Blow some stuff up!

Sharp shooter
06-22-2014, 10:10 AM
You can hold it in your hand but don't squeeze it. Use your calluses.

Nordic Bear
06-22-2014, 10:22 AM
Here is a pretty good video about it....
http://youtu.be/oAOdMvEmis8

Nordic Bear
06-22-2014, 10:26 AM
And a tip sheet from AirGas... :0)..42140

Stainless
06-22-2014, 10:33 AM
Here is a pretty good video about it....
http://youtu.be/oAOdMvEmis8

Thank you, that was very educational!
I left the dry ice in the plastic, should I remove it?

CH3N02

Nordic Bear
06-22-2014, 12:46 PM
Thank you, that was very educational!
I left the dry ice in the plastic, should I remove it?

CH3N02

I don't think it matters,,, just depends on when you want to put the bag in the trash... :0)...

Mrs.K034
06-22-2014, 12:50 PM
Blow some stuff up!

That's what I was going to say! Dry ice bombs are so much fun!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Napanutt
06-22-2014, 12:51 PM
I usually keep it off to the side and try to keep it dry (get it, dry ice). :)

ChumpChange
06-22-2014, 01:17 PM

I'll have to type out my story from High School tomorrow when I have time. My neighbor called me Boomer ever since that day. It involves the police, firemen, and a call to Haz Mat. My neighbor was an attorney and..........I'll leave it at that for now.

Stainless
06-22-2014, 01:58 PM
Let's hear more about these bombs...

CH3N02

riverrunner1984
06-22-2014, 02:02 PM
CH3N02

Thats what I am saying!

Sharp shooter
06-22-2014, 02:24 PM

CH3N02

Take an empty 2 liter bottle and fill it with hot water. Add dry ice pieces, tighten the bottle cap and get back.

riverrunner1984
06-22-2014, 02:43 PM
Just youtubed it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nZHGK37jBp8

Mrs.K034
06-22-2014, 04:34 PM
Take an empty 2 liter bottle and fill it with hot water. Add dry ice pieces, tighten the bottle cap and get back.

You have to get the correct quantity of water/dry ice mixture, or you'll have a failure, though. 😉

CampbellCarl
06-22-2014, 06:31 PM
I've used it houseboating at Powell. Loaded the meat (only) cooler in reverse order from planned meals. First meal on top and last meal at the bottom. Also used duct tape around the joint of the lid to bottom to further insulate. Nothing else was there and there was no reason for anybody to open that cooler. Lasted the week just fine.

SnoC653
06-22-2014, 07:50 PM
Just youtubed it.

Nice video, And it certainly wiped the smile off of that face. ;)

Stainless
06-22-2014, 08:44 PM
Just youtubed it.

Damn, that's cool! Gonna have to try that at home. ;)

CH3N02

2manymustangs
06-23-2014, 06:18 AM

I'll have to type out my story from High School tomorrow when I have time. My neighbor called me Boomer ever since that day. It involves the police, firemen, and a call to Haz Mat. My neighbor was an attorney and..........I'll leave it at that for now.

I recieved a visit from the park ranger POPO last summer while at our family reunion. One small marble size piece of DI in a typical 20oz water bottle and 1/2 cup of water... FOr the small scale version of the video... The park ranger POPO was 3/4 mile away and thought someone was shooting a shotgun...

riverrunner1984
06-23-2014, 07:06 AM
Nice video, And it certainly wiped the smile off of that face. ;)
Just noticed that lol

Damn, that's cool! Gonna have to try that at home. ;)
CH3N02

Well make sure to make a video so we can see how it turns out!

ChumpChange
06-23-2014, 08:37 AM
You have to get the correct quantity of water/dry ice mixture, or you'll have a failure, though. ��

Bingo! Failure is what led to my nickname.

So I'm in high school hanging at a buddy's house when my mom calls me up and says the refrigerator went out and needs me to pick up some dry ice. We were going to be heading that way anyway to pick up our girlfriends for dinner. Yes I'm young enough where cell phones were around in high school. :D Since my buddy was 18 we were able to swing by Ace Hardware and pick some up.

We first bring the ice back to his house and put a 2litre bomb together. It wasn’t going off fast enough so a quick shot with the pellet gun and car alarms were going off throughout the neighborhood.

Now we’re at my house and had the “hey mom, watch this” situation. We put the goods together and once again, it’s not going off. As we did not have a pellet gun here, idiotically, my buddy runs to it and twists the cap off, fortunately not exploding, but burning his hand with cold. Time to reload with more ice.

We throw more ice in and yet again, no explosion. We’re not fans of twisting the cap again so we take the pool net and hit it a couple of times…..nothing. We’re now facing the clock to go pick up our girls for dinner. As we had a dog, I scooped up the bottle and launched it to my neighbor’s backyard and off we went for dinner.

So the next morning I’m talking to my mom and suddenly……BOOM! She looks at me and I said “yup, that was it”.
About 30 minutes later there was a knock at my front door by a fireman asking if I heard an explosion. I said yup and pointed in a general direction. He then asked to look in my trash cans and I said sure. After that he was on his way.
Mom asks me what’s up and I tell her I’m gonna hit the shower and then go over and see what’s going on. As soon as I’m dressed there is another knock at the door. It’s the police department. They want to ask me a few more questions to which I just tell them what it was. No prodding needed as I was going to go over there anyway. He radios to call off HazMat.
So my neighbor was a divorce attorney and he was representing a guy with a crazy soon to be ex-wife. She had already slashed some tires and made threats to him.

So I throw the bottle over the wall and it went into his pool. The cold water kept the compression down until he saw it the next morning floating in the pool. He had some work being done in his backyard so he thought it was just the laborers. Fortunately, he was suffering from the flu so instead of walking it to the recycle bins in his garage…next to his Harley….he just threw it in the normal trash in his backyard. It obliterated his trash can enough to where the cops were then called. He told me had he been well and it damaged his Harley, we would have had a problem. :D

He was a cool guy and just called me boomer from then on out.