PDA

View Full Version : Left hand turn law???

Skav
06-18-2014, 06:58 AM
Ok, so my son has his permit and me and the wife are driving with him from school and practice whenever we can.

The other day, I told him that he could turn into any lane from a single left hand turn.

Next time he drove w my wife, she yelled at him for doing it.

Obviously this started a debate as to who is right.

So.... I'm right, right?

HB Vic
06-18-2014, 07:01 AM
That's what I thought. But then again even if there are 3 left hand turn lanes I turn in to any one I want as long as I'm out in front :D

Skav
06-18-2014, 07:02 AM
Ha. I told him that if it's a single lht lane, he can pick any lane. Where's the popo?

Skav
06-18-2014, 07:07 AM
Ok. I think I'm right. Just want to confirm before I go to the wifey:)

This is from the VCB.

Left Turns: The approach for a left turn shall be made as far as practicable to the left-hand edge of the extreme left-hand lane or portion of the roadway lawfully available to traffic moving in the direction of travel as the turning vehicle. When turning at an intersection, the left turn shall not be made before entering the intersection (i.e., don't cut the corners short). When making a left turn onto an intersection, turn into lanes made for travel in your direction and not into the lane for on-coming vehicles expect:
Upon a highway having three marked lanes for traffic moving in one direction which terminates at an intersecting highway that accommodates traffic in both directions. In this instance, the driver in a middle lane may turn left from either the middle lane or the far left-hand lane and into any lane lawfully available upon the roadway being entered.

RogerThat99
06-18-2014, 07:57 AM
I am pretty sure you can turn into any lane from a single left turn lane. How else would you be able to turn into a business on the corner? I remember my drivers training instructor going over this many years ago...I am 96% sure he said you can turn into any lane.

RogerThat99
06-18-2014, 08:00 AM
From the CA DMV Drivers Handbook.

1. Left turn from a two-way street. Start the turn in the left lane closest to the middle of the street. Complete the turn, if safe, in either lane of the cross street (shown by the arrows). Use the center left turn lane if one is available. A left turn may be made from the other lane, if permitted by signs or arrows.

http://www.dmv.ca.gov/imageserver/dmv/images/dlhdbk/29a.gif

Skav
06-18-2014, 08:01 AM
I am pretty sure you can turn into any lane from a single left turn lane. How else would you be able to turn into a business on the corner? I remember my drivers training instructor going over this many years ago...I am 96% sure he said you can turn into any lane.

That's what I remember too. She's only 4 yrs younger than me, but sometimes it seems like 20;)

Skav
06-18-2014, 08:46 AM
From the CA DMV Drivers Handbook.

1. Left turn from a two-way street. Start the turn in the left lane closest to the middle of the street. Complete the turn, if safe, in either lane of the cross street (shown by the arrows). Use the center left turn lane if one is available. A left turn may be made from the other lane, if permitted by signs or arrows.

http://www.dmv.ca.gov/imageserver/dmv/images/dlhdbk/29a.gif

She's going down!!!

riverrunner1984
06-18-2014, 09:22 AM
She's going down!!!

Dont you just love knowing your right when it comes to stuff like this? I know I do and my girl hates to admit it lol.

HB Vic
06-18-2014, 09:23 AM
Just tell her accelerate hard in the turns and close your eyes :D

RogerThat99
06-18-2014, 09:51 AM
She's going down!!!

make sure to wear a GoPro when you tell her and post the video of her kicking you in the nuts on YouTube. :D

HB Vic
06-18-2014, 10:06 AM
I was taught defensive driving always meant leaving yourself outs and options :D

rschap1
06-19-2014, 11:24 AM
First Legal lane is what I was taught in drivers' ed.
If there is another vehicle accessing that open lane, they have their own right of way to it.
I see people driving both ways all the time though.

tkrrox
06-20-2014, 05:04 AM
i thought it was the first available lane..

Tinkerer
06-20-2014, 07:59 PM
What I was always told when making a turn was that you had to stay in the lane closest to the lane you are in. If you are making a right hand turn you had to stay in the right lane of the road you are turning onto. same goes for making a left hand turn.
If someone is making a left hand turn at the same time that you are making a right hand turn and they hit you because they did not stay in their left lane they get the ticket.

Stainless
06-20-2014, 08:20 PM
What I was always told when making a turn was that you had to stay in the lane closest to the lane you are in. If you are making a right hand turn you had to stay in the right lane of the road you are turning onto. same goes for making a left hand turn.
If someone is making a left hand turn at the same time that you are making a right hand turn and they hit you because they did not stay in their left lane they get the ticket.

This is what I was taught in drivers ed.

CH3N02

RogerThat99
06-21-2014, 07:19 AM

This is what I was taught in drivers ed.

CH3N02

If it is a dedicated left turn lane with a left turn light, then the car turning left has the right of way over the car turning right. The car turning right would be turning on a red light.

If it is an intersection like the one pictured above, the car turning left does not have the right of way and would need to yield to any cars coming the opposite direction (regardless of whether they are going straight or turning right). So in this instance the car turning right would have the right of way. Once it is clear, the car turning left can enter any lane.

Skav
06-21-2014, 07:27 AM
Once it is clear, the car turning left can enter any lane.

Thanks roger. That's the situation we were debating.

I also talked to a couple buddies, one LAPD, and the other CHP. LAPD wasn't really sure, but said no, you have to turn into the left lane. CHP said he wasn't sure either, then read the VC, and said he'd get back to me. So much for asking the pros;)

MalibuKen
06-21-2014, 08:22 AM
I always get in trouble on the left turn when my mom visits from Oregon, up there you must turn into closest lane. Cali is anarchy when turning left. :D

Ca VEHICLE CODE
SECTION 22100-22113

22100. Except as provided in Section 22100.5 or 22101, the driver
of any vehicle intending to turn upon a highway shall do so as
follows:
(a) Right Turns. Both the approach for a right-hand turn and a
right-hand turn shall be made as close as practicable to the
right-hand curb or edge of the roadway except:
(1) Upon a highway having three marked lanes for traffic moving in
one direction that terminates at an intersecting highway
accommodating traffic in both directions, the driver of a vehicle in
the middle lane may turn right into any lane lawfully available to
traffic moving in that direction upon the roadway being entered.
(2) If a right-hand turn is made from a one-way highway at an
intersection, a driver shall approach the turn as provided in this
subdivision and shall complete the turn in any lane lawfully
available to traffic moving in that direction upon the roadway being
entered.
(3) Upon a highway having an additional lane or lanes marked for a
right turn by appropriate signs or markings, the driver of a vehicle
may turn right from any lane designated and marked for that turning
movement.
(b) Left Turns. The approach for a left turn shall be made as
close as practicable to the left-hand edge of the extreme left-hand
lane or portion of the roadway lawfully available to traffic moving
in the direction of travel of the vehicle and, when turning at an
intersection, the left turn shall not be made before entering the
intersection. After entering the intersection, the left turn shall be
made so as to leave the intersection in a lane lawfully available to
traffic moving in that direction upon the roadway being entered,
except that upon a highway having three marked lanes for traffic
moving in one direction that terminates at an intersecting highway
accommodating traffic in both directions, the driver of a vehicle in
the middle lane may turn left into any lane lawfully available to
traffic moving in that direction upon the roadway being entered.

Sent from Tapakeg

CampbellCarl
06-21-2014, 11:10 AM
Just tell her accelerate hard in the turns and close your eyes :D

I see you've consulted the Drivers Handbook for Circle Boat Racing..........

tpltrbl303
06-21-2014, 12:46 PM
I got a ticket in Parker last year for this. Turned left off California onto Riverside, heading to the Mexican restaurant. Wrote me up for not going into the inside lane. $250 bucks.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk