PDA

View Full Version : Writing Your Own Divorce...

Nordie
06-09-2014, 12:18 PM
Who's done it?

I have started to write up my own divorce, and see I am just a dummy construction worker that knows absolutely nothing about the legal system period. I never even been to jail. I've been to court 2 times, once for Jury Duty, and once from a lawsuit against Cingular Wireless. I lost that, even though I shouldn't have, but I was 21 at the time and didn't know anything back then either.

Anyhow...I have a relatively easy divorce, there is no debt, no property, no new assets no nothing. I just want to file a simple Joint Uncontested Divorce. We both go on about our business and move on with life. She has already moved out, but I don't know where she lives, or her phone number. However I want to get 99% of the paperwork together, and either meet up with her and have her fill in the blanks, or have it delivered to her work and let her fill in the blanks, and then back to me where I can file with the courts and be done with it.

Does any of this make sense, or am I in for a rude awakening? I haven't make any dumb decisions like cancel health insurance on here, because I know I could be on the hook for that, but I know I want this over so in case she screws up I am no longer resposable for her actions....

Any advice, anyone know how to point me in the right direction?

We've only been married 1 1/2 years if this helps any...

C-2
06-09-2014, 12:31 PM
Who's done it?

I have started to write up my own divorce, and see I am just a dummy construction worker that knows absolutely nothing about the legal system period. I never even been to jail. I've been to court 2 times, once for Jury Duty, and once from a lawsuit against Cingular Wireless. I lost that, even though I shouldn't have, but I was 21 at the time and didn't know anything back then either.

Anyhow...I have a relatively easy divorce, there is no debt, no property, no new assets no nothing. I just want to file a simple Joint Uncontested Divorce. We both go on about our business and move on with life. She has already moved out, but I don't know where she lives, or her phone number. However I want to get 99% of the paperwork together, and either meet up with her and have her fill in the blanks, or have it delivered to her work and let her fill in the blanks, and then back to me where I can file with the courts and be done with it.

Does any of this make sense, or am I in for a rude awakening? I haven't make any dumb decisions like cancel health insurance on here, because I know I could be on the hook for that, but I know I want this over so in case she screws up I am no longer resposable for her actions....

Any advice, anyone know how to point me in the right direction?

We've only been married 1 1/2 years if this helps any...

Contact a local paralegal service; preferably one who has good Yelp reviews or is registered with the BBB (so that they are accountable to somebody)

Do your research, make sure they are licensed and have a good track record.

They will help you fill out the forms and file them for you; and coach you on what to say if you need to make any court appearance.

Reach out to your wife's family, have them contact her and relay your message about a proposed amicable split.

Good luck. :)

Nordie
06-09-2014, 12:32 PM
She won't talk to her family, they already reach out to me to see if I know what's going on!

riverrunner1984
06-09-2014, 12:44 PM
Maybe legalzoom.com???
I always hear their commercials on the radio...Its worth a look.

C-2
06-09-2014, 01:58 PM
Send a letter to her work marked "Personal and Confidential". Tell her of your intent and ask for her cooperation and a current address. Giver her a period of time to think about it, but have a cut-off date.
If she refuses, then have her served at work with papers for an uncontested dissolution.
If she refuses to cooperate, that's fine, she will still be obligated to respond to the court within a certain number of days.
If she doesn't respond within that time frame, the court will enter a default judgment against her.
You might need to appear at a default hearing to "prove up" your case (basically, prove the statements you made in the paperwork are correct and true.)

That's where using a paralegal service could be helpful - they can guide you thru the process.

Nordie
06-09-2014, 02:17 PM
Send a letter to her work marked "Personal and Confidential". Tell her of your intent and ask for her cooperation and a current address. Giver her a period of time to think about it, but have a cut-off date.
If she refuses, then have her served at work with papers for an uncontested dissolution.
If she refuses to cooperate, that's fine, she will still be obligated to respond to the court within a certain number of days.
If she doesn't respond within that time frame, the court will enter a default judgment against her.
You might need to appear at a default hearing to "prove up" your case (basically, prove the statements you made in the paperwork are correct and true.)

That's where using a paralegal service could be helpful - they can guide you thru the process.

Are you saying just a formal letter of intent for divorce to her work? I know this divorce is an easy one, but she likes to run from her problems...it is just in her nature, she did this to cause the divorce...I know she will not disclose where she is living, so everything will have to be served to her at work

C-2
06-09-2014, 02:35 PM
Are you saying just a formal letter of intent for divorce to her work? I know this divorce is an easy one, but she likes to run from her problems...it is just in her nature, she did this to cause the divorce...I know she will not disclose where she is living, so everything will have to be served to her at work

If you know she will not cooperate, don't send a letter.
Unless NV has a specific requirement to know the respondent's residence address, have her served at work with the dissolution package.
Since serving her could be be a one-time shot, make sure everything is correct.
A paralegal service should be able to give you some options. It's money well spent because if you screw up the paperwork, and she quits because she knows that's the only address you have for her - then you will have to hire a PI to find her, serve her again etc.
Remember, after she has been served, the ball is in her court. Either she responds and litigates, or she ignores it and you are granted a dissolution because she failed to respond (a default judgment).
Most court's have comprehensive self-help websites too.

Nordie
06-09-2014, 02:38 PM
What a mess, I just want this to be over with, she doesn't take care of shit, just runs and dissapears...I know that serving her at work of my intent she will not quit her job, she needs that job...

pvhca1
06-09-2014, 03:25 PM
I had a paralegal friend give me all the necessary paperwork, I filled mine out, the ex filled hers out. Our divorce wasn't as easy as yours should be, we had property and business together but I insisted on no attorneys(she didn't listen and got fucked), oh well, finally got her to pull her head out and move forward, my divorce took ALONG time but it's been final for nearly 2 months now. If your ex is being uncooperative file your papers and let the paralegal and court deal with serving her.

ChumpChange
06-09-2014, 03:49 PM
Good luck. Although you don't need an attorney at this time, when she talks to her friends and they tell her that she needs to milk the situation, things could change. Make sure you're as nice as possible so that doesn't happen.

Milkmoney
06-09-2014, 06:30 PM
U can get the divorce paperwork at the shop on the corner of charleston and valley view in Vegas.

I think it's called legal shop or legal papers I know it's a blue building. They have all the legal paperwork for do it urselfers.

Hope this helps ya.

HB Vic
06-09-2014, 06:54 PM
Udivorce.com ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nordie
06-09-2014, 06:54 PM
I actually printed the paper work and already filled out my half, I just gotta get her to fill out hers, and I wanna make sure all of my stuff is properly filled out

Nordic Bear
06-09-2014, 07:03 PM
If Nevada,,, is anything like Washington Nordie,,, all you hafta' do is file for legal seperation, post it in the local paper, and if she doesn't respond in a year, you can legally change the seperation to a divorce WITHOUT her doing the paperwork. ... might wanna ask about that, if you can stand the wait that is.... good luck!!!

spike morelli
06-09-2014, 09:31 PM
.....The Divorce paperwork should start like this,.....I keep my clothes and my car, you keep your clothes and your car...........I keep the BOAT, you can keep the house and all the other stuff. BELIEVE ME! Arguing, is how attorneys make their living, not settling your problems. At $200.00 to $350.00 per hour for representation, it's a bargain by far to just settle amicably without lawyers, if at all possible. The house? She'll likely not be able to keep up all the costs ( neither would you ), and It'll be gone eventually anyway. Try to get through it as quickly as you possibly can. Life, for me, got amazingly better after my divorce! Did I mention keep the boat? Oh, and the Monkees records, keep those too.

She's Mine
06-10-2014, 10:51 AM
Go see We the People. You can google them. They are very affordable and since yours is a simple divorce I would go to them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk (http://tapatalk.com/m?id=1)

K-034
06-10-2014, 10:57 AM
Good luck. Although you don't need an attorney at this time, when she talks to her friends and they tell her that she needs to milk the situation, things could change. Make sure you're as nice as possible so that doesn't happen.

X 2 on that, my attorny cost me alot of money and I got no were with him, after 3 years we talked it out and it was over in court after 30min's with no attorneys

Nordie
06-19-2014, 01:00 PM
So, I'm waiting on a text, that will most likely bring me closure on why we even split to begin with...something was off, and I found out more details today...just waiting on a confirmation text. If it is true, I am going to have to step up the security aroubd the house, or get a roommate....

Ziggy
06-19-2014, 01:06 PM
:
So, I'm waiting on a text, that will most likely bring me closure on why we even split to begin with...something was off, and I found out more details today...just waiting on a confirmation text. If it is true, I am going to have to step up the security aroubd the house, or get a roommate....
:schreck:

Nordie
06-19-2014, 01:07 PM
This could end badly, very badly...if true it's going to end more badly for her, but its not gonna be good for me either....

riverrunner1984
06-19-2014, 01:11 PM
Sounds intense....Are we going to get the story when you get your conformation?

HB Vic
06-19-2014, 01:11 PM

Rut roh.....

Nordie
06-19-2014, 01:14 PM
Sounds intense....Are we going to get the story when you get your conformation?

To an extent...not all of the story, that would be bad too, if it is true...

Brian
06-19-2014, 01:57 PM
So should I go grab some popcorn?

Ziggy
06-19-2014, 02:10 PM
To an extent...not all of the story, that would be bad too, if it is true...

Is the overall result ok if it ends up being not true?

Nordie
06-19-2014, 02:14 PM
So should I go grab some popcorn?

Not yet, the person I am trying to reach will not respond to my text message, or answer my phone calls...

Is the overall result ok if it ends up being not true?

either way this is not going to end well...someone might be going to prison, that someone would not be me

ChumpChange
06-19-2014, 02:53 PM
Is she who you thought she was? Different name? Past?

Nordie
06-19-2014, 03:52 PM
Time to go investigate the neighbors...the day she moved out 2 of the neighbors came inside of the house and walked out with something...then they sat and talked with my future ex wife for an extended period of time...I have known this for a while, and I let it go, but with the most recent evidence, I need some details...

Nordie
06-19-2014, 03:54 PM
My 2 neighbors sitting outside with my future ex wife when she was moving out, and my dog too

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/06/20/9ydy4eqy.jpg

Brian
06-19-2014, 04:00 PM
Shit, now I'm all curious. Sorry you have to go through all this, but it sounds like we are going to get a hell of a story.

Nordie
06-19-2014, 04:59 PM
I have an alarm company showing up tomorrow for an estimate

ChumpChange
06-19-2014, 07:05 PM
So she let the neighbors jack some stuff? Is there a conspiracy going on? I have so many questions!!!!

In all seriousness though. Good luck to you in all of this.

Nordie
06-20-2014, 05:44 AM
So she let the neighbors jack some stuff? Is there a conspiracy going on? I have so many questions!!!!

In all seriousness though. Good luck to you in all of this.

I found out it was some of her stuff she gave them...

ChumpChange
06-20-2014, 06:09 AM
So mystery solved or you still deep in it?

riverrunner1984
06-20-2014, 07:07 AM
So did she take your dog as well?

HB Vic
06-20-2014, 09:21 AM
So did she take your dog as well?

Better your dog than your suitcase lol

Nordie
06-20-2014, 09:59 AM
Nope, still have the dogs

Nordie
06-30-2014, 04:02 AM
Well...I knew the truth would eventually come out...she was having an affair. Her new BF decided to text me yesterday, he's also a coworker of hers, and I always had suspicion that maybe there was something...oh well they deserve each other...

ChumpChange
06-30-2014, 05:24 AM
He text you? So I take it you have met him prior to where you gave him your number? WTH!

riverrunner1984
06-30-2014, 07:12 AM
So you got your confirmation from the BF and not from your ex-wife? That is some shady Sh!t right there!

Eli
06-30-2014, 07:54 AM
So what I'm reading is she's someone else's problem now. In my opinion you lucked out.

Sent from my Bat Cave

Nordie
06-30-2014, 08:58 AM
He text you? So I take it you have met him prior to where you gave him your number? WTH!
Yep, he works with her and we were all partying together at some point. I always suspected they were into each other at some point. I knew she left me for one of 2 things. Drugs or soneone else, and I knew the truth would come out eventually. So it finally did, and I am glad I got closure...

So you got your confirmation from the BF and not from your ex-wife? That is some shady Sh!t right there!
It is wierd, but I think she is embarrassed. I call him a vulture, we started having problems, and he probably talked himself up, while putting me down. Personally I think she took a step down. He bragged about living in his apartment with beer cans scattered everywhere, and how he goes to a certain bar so when he gets waisted its only a couple blocks from his apartment.

So what I'm reading is she's someone else's problem now. In my opinion you lucked out.

Sent from my Bat Cave
I did luck out! I an so happy too!

riverrunner1984
06-30-2014, 09:12 AM
You know what they say.....
The best way to get over someone is to........get on top of someone else!!! :wink2:

djunkie
06-30-2014, 09:16 AM
The best way to get over someone is to........get on top of someone else!!! :wink2:

Lol....

Nordie
06-30-2014, 10:22 AM
This is true lol!

Eli
06-30-2014, 10:31 AM

I thought it was to get under someone else? I gave him the wrong advice!! 😱😱😱😱😱

Sent from my Bat Cave

Nordie
06-30-2014, 10:41 AM
I thought it was to get under someone else? I gave him the wrong advice!! 😱😱😱😱😱

Sent from my Bat Cave
If you are the lady counterpart then yes! Well hold on, ahhh, nevermind...hi Eli...

riverrunner1984
06-30-2014, 10:43 AM
I thought it was to get under someone else? I gave him the wrong advice!! ����������
Sent from my Bat Cave

You are a girl so Yes, you would get under....generally speaking....lol...

Eli
06-30-2014, 11:00 AM
If you are the lady counterpart then yes! Well hold on, ahhh, nevermind...hi Eli...

You are a girl so Yes, you would get under....generally speaking....lol...

Generally speaking ;)

Sent from my Bat Cave

Nordie
06-30-2014, 11:10 AM
Generally speaking ;)

Sent from my Bat Cave
We all know you like to burn calories ;)

djunkie
06-30-2014, 11:50 AM
We all know you like to burn calories ;)

:eek: :eek:

djunkie
06-30-2014, 12:04 PM

This usually helps. But I'm sure we can all say there's that one girl that is always in the back of our minds that will probably never be forgotten. I know I have one.

Eli
06-30-2014, 12:20 PM
:eek: :eek:

He doesn't "know" he's guessing bc I'm feisty and I work out.

Sent from my Bat Cave

djunkie
06-30-2014, 12:22 PM

Sent from my Bat Cave

Lol. I know that.

Eli
06-30-2014, 12:27 PM
This usually helps. But I'm sure we can all say there's that one girl that is always in the back of our minds that will probably never be forgotten. I know I have one.

Awe that's very sweet! All this time I pegged you for a gun slinging, speed boat driving, diesel junkie bad ass...sometimes, but rarely, I'm wrong. You're a sweetie!

Sent from my Bat Cave

Nordie
06-30-2014, 12:44 PM
lol, there's always that unicorn as I call it...I messed up twice with her, but I will not ever forget her. Should also make it known that she is not my ex wife lol...

Sent from my Bat Cave
Actually I am exactly right, you do like to burn calories, hence workout, and drink low carb alcohol most of the time ;) fiesty yes!

djunkie
06-30-2014, 01:18 PM
Awe that's very sweet! All this time I pegged you for a gun slinging, speed boat driving, diesel junkie bad ass...sometimes, but rarely, I'm wrong. You're a sweetie!

Sent from my Bat Cave

She was special that's for sure.

Eli
06-30-2014, 01:53 PM
She was special that's for sure.

Ya never know, she probably feels the same :) don't ever underestimate the impression you may leave on someone.

Sent from my Bat Cave

ChumpChange
06-30-2014, 01:58 PM
This thread sure got sappy. Yuck!

Eli
06-30-2014, 02:03 PM
This thread sure got sappy. Yuck!

Yea!! Fuck all 'em bitches and hoeses and trickses!!!

Sent from my Bat Cave

HB Vic
06-30-2014, 02:33 PM
Yea!! Fuck all 'em bitches and hoeses and trickses!!!

Sent from my Bat Cave

You sound angry?

Eli
06-30-2014, 02:44 PM
You sound angry?

Who me? Never!!!! Lol

Sent from my Bat Cave