PDA

View Full Version : Oh Snap!

ChumpChange
06-08-2014, 09:38 PM

When you hear the snap, don't go out right away. They tend to kick for a while.

Nordic Bear
06-08-2014, 09:41 PM
Thats a pretty big one!!!!

ChumpChange
06-08-2014, 09:47 PM
I blame the neighbors! He did out up a good fight. Industrial rat trap is a foot away. Could've split him in half. Wasn't sure what I'd get.

Nordic Bear
06-08-2014, 09:52 PM
We had rats in the milking barn and it was HELL to keep them under control!!!!.... they never came to the house though, the dogs would get them... :0)...

Eli
06-08-2014, 09:52 PM
Gross...good thing you were there to clean it up.

Sent from my Bat Cave

Mrs.K034
06-08-2014, 10:14 PM

When you hear the snap, don't go out right away. They tend to kick for a while.

Holy crap... That thing has a long tail on it!! The rodents really don't bother me.. I found our first mouse yesterday, and I can't lie.. I did scream... Not because it was a mouse... Because the first thing that came to mind was... "Oh crap! Snakes eat mice.. Better get out of here!! "

HB Vic
06-09-2014, 05:50 AM
Good lord, where is that???

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ChumpChange
06-09-2014, 07:28 AM
Good lord, where is that???

Unfortunately in my backyard on my built in BBQ. Noticed some droppings a week or so ago as they climbed the stucco sides. Put a stop to that issue!

So the wife and I are watching tv last night with the slider open when we hear the snap snap (hit two traps). She thought it was me making a noise but soon realized it was outside when i asked her if she heard that. Like I said before. Wait a few before goin out. Takes them a while to die and they don't like it when you grab their tail.

riverrunner1984
06-09-2014, 07:49 AM
Living right next to the wash, we get them as well.
What did you use for the bait on the trap some Peanut Butter?
When I put those traps out with bait on it, the only thing I catch is ants all over the bait.
I used that green poison stuff the rats eat and that did pretty good...

C-2
06-09-2014, 07:54 AM
Unfortunately in my backyard on my built in BBQ. Noticed some droppings a week or so ago as they climbed the stucco sides. Put a stop to that issue!

So the wife and I are watching tv last night with the slider open when we hear the snap snap (hit two traps). She thought it was me making a noise but soon realized it was outside when i asked her if she heard that. Like I said before. Wait a few before goin out. Takes them a while to die and they don't like it when you grab their tail.

Oh, I thought maybe it was in the break room at HotBoat...you know, everybody cleans out the break room fridg on Friday - but they throw their stuff into the break room trash. I put a post-it up asking everybody not to do that.

C-2
06-09-2014, 07:56 AM
When I put those traps out with bait on it, the only thing I catch is ants all over the bait.

Do you set the trap along a wall? They are directional and will not usually touch a trap set in the middle of an area. I use old fashioned cheese. Oops, I meant cheese food.

Kind of like Largemouth Bass fishing.

ChumpChange
06-09-2014, 08:13 AM

Cheese. Colby Jack and Motzarella! And as C-2 stated....always against the wall.

riverrunner1984
06-09-2014, 08:16 AM
Do you set the trap along a wall? They are directional and will not usually touch a trap set in the middle of an area. I use old fashioned cheese. Oops, I meant cheese food.

Kind of like Largemouth Bass fishing.

Cheese. Colby Jack and Motzarella! And as C-2 stated....always against the wall.

Didnt know about the wall thing. Going to try that next time. Thanks.

ChumpChange
06-09-2014, 05:13 PM
Just checked......Still dead.

Nordie
06-09-2014, 05:41 PM
Dammit! I had typed out the most awesome mouse killing story I have ever had, and Tapatalk locked up! Long story short I once sniped a mouse with my pellet gun! Yes I shot that little bastard in the house I was living in with a pellet gun, and yes I hit that little bastard!

Nordic Bear
06-09-2014, 05:55 PM
They absolutely LOVE tootsie rolls!!!!.... thats what we have used for years on the farm.... :0)....

C-2
06-09-2014, 07:39 PM
Just checked......Still dead.

What next at the Mateo household, lethal injection?

Go get that trap back, it still has plenty of snaps in it!

Here's my old workhorse after being rinsed off many, many times. Yes, that's fur :wink2:

C-2
06-09-2014, 07:55 PM
Dammit! I had typed out the most awesome mouse killing story I have ever had, and Tapatalk locked up! Long story short I once sniped a mouse with my pellet gun! Yes I shot that little bastard in the house I was living in with a pellet gun, and yes I hit that little bastard!

Can you imagine being a mouse and getting hit by a pellet? Ouch.

Another quick rat story.

Some years back I had to interview a witness in Koreatown (just outside of downtown Los Angeles). I was let into the apartment by the Hispanic female, and saw these kids laying on the ground in full sniper position with an old Daisy Red Ryder bb gun pointed towards the kitchen.

I asked her what they were doing, and she said the rats were unstoppable. She pointed to where the 1/4 round moulding would be - they had aluminum nailed to the wall and floor to prevent the rats from chewing thru the walls/drywall. Every corner, every mich had tin can lids or aluminum nailed between it and the floor. But, she said it wasn't enough to keep the rats out and they thought a rat was behind the stove.

Whatever, I had a job to do, lol.

About halfway thru the interview I heard the snap of the Red Ryder, then a bunch of commotion, and saw this brown and white rat tear ass thru the living room with the Mijo's in hot pursuit. One of them eventually clubbed it over the head with a broom, they celebrated their small victory, and that was that.

Not a ghetto looking brown rat - the thing looked domesticated, like a pet rat (in the ghetto).

Damn, to live like that...

Nordie
06-09-2014, 07:59 PM
Can you imagine being a mouse and getting hit by a pellet? Ouch.

Another quick rat story.

Some years back I had to interview a witness in Koreatown (just outside of downtown Los Angeles). I was let into the apartment by the Hispanic female, and saw these kids laying on the ground in full sniper position with an old Daisy Red Ryder bb gun pointed towards the kitchen.

I asked her what they were doing, and she said the rats were unstoppable. She pointed to where the 1/4 round moulding would be - they had aluminum nailed to the wall and floor to prevent the rats from chewing thru the walls/drywall. Every corner, every mich had tin can lids or aluminum nailed between it and the floor. But, she said it wasn't enough to keep the rats out and they thought a rat was behind the stove.

Whatever, I had a job to do, lol.

About halfway thru the interview I heard the snap of the Red Ryder, then a bunch of commotion, and saw this brown and white rat tear ass thru the living room with the Mijo's in hot pursuit. One of them eventually clubbed it over the head with a broom, they celebrated their small victory, and that was that.

Not a ghetto looking brown rat - the thing looked domesticated, like a pet rat (in the ghetto).

Damn, to live like that...

No kidding, I had this problem when I lived in a rural area of las vegas...populated area where I currently live, well I've never seen a mouse. Since paying for pest control, I've never seen anything in my house at all...

ChumpChange
06-09-2014, 08:32 PM
Four pack of traps for two bucks. I'm a penny pinching banker but I don't reuse traps. One kill! Gotta keep Victor in business.

That story had me rollin thinkin about kids running after it with a club! lol

C-2
06-18-2014, 06:36 PM
So Ole' Snappy has been set...I'm thinking before 11 tonight. :)

ChumpChange
06-18-2014, 06:49 PM
Nasty trap! Hopefully they won't smell the previous death and avoid it!

Ziggy
06-18-2014, 11:24 PM
In first pic it looks like he crapped himself.
Can't beat the trusty ol' snap traps. I tie pieces of hotdog onto them with thread.

C-2
06-19-2014, 07:23 AM
Something got nailed last night, hopefully not a cat. Will check it out after the daughter wakes up. :)

C-2
06-19-2014, 09:36 AM
Doh! Anybody have the number for a crime scene cleanup company?

Lol, never seen this before. Standby for a really gross picture or two.

riverrunner1984
06-19-2014, 09:38 AM
Doh! Anybody have the number for a crime scene cleanup company?

Lol, never seen this before. Standby for a really gross picture or two.

Cant wait :thumbup:

C-2
06-19-2014, 09:52 AM
Well, it looks like a clean snap and was quick, but didn't take his head off.

The good news is - ole' Snappy is still fine, just a little blood.

Had to wash the hands after that one, lol.

Shhhhhhhhhh! He's sleeping.

ChumpChange
06-19-2014, 10:39 AM
Damn! You have that thing tight sprung!

ChumpChange
06-19-2014, 11:06 AM
And the fact that you're gonna keep it and reuse! lol

C-2
06-20-2014, 11:23 AM
Well crap, the other half of the family is still up there.

Round two coming up this evening.

Nordie
06-20-2014, 11:39 AM
Well crap, the other half of the family is still up there.

Round two coming up this evening.

lol, I hate them damn things...glad to see em dead

ChumpChange
10-10-2014, 07:19 PM
Oh stick?

HB Vic
10-10-2014, 07:22 PM
Killer lol

C-2
11-05-2014, 03:45 PM
Score:

Rat(s): 2
Me: 0 (zero)

So that's pretty interesting, heard the trap snap twice, the usual flopping around of the trap...but no dead rat, no blood, all cheese gone and no rat parts.

Little bastards have chewed through the screen vent holes in between the roof rafters, and even chewed the insulation off one of the old insulated cable lines. Be hard to fix those screens, too dang hard to get to.

So there's probably a gimp rat running around, if you see him, say Hi! :D

C-2
11-09-2014, 06:35 PM
Saturday morning woke up to the smell of something dead. So later, when it's about 95 out, I crawl up into the attic and look for a dead rat. I literally tear up half the fiberglass insulation, stacking most of it on top of each in a pile. No dead rat. WTF? So then I clean out the eaves between the roof and patio, thinking maybe it crawled out there and died...but nope, nope, not there either. But, the whole house fans works really well now!

Today, no dead rat smell at all. Double WTF. I wonder if the bastards ate their own dead friend?

I still have to re-set all the firberglass and will thrown in a 2X4 fireblock where the chewed-thru screen holes are.

Oh, and found anotherr fresh trap hidden below a piece of fibrglass, I think maybe they were getting away because the old trap lost some of its POWWWW!

ChumpChange
11-09-2014, 07:26 PM
Looks like I'll be resetting some traps for a new litter this week.

C-2
11-12-2014, 09:49 PM
Just heard a little bastard so I ran up and set the "new" old trap.

Shhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!!!!!!!

C-2
11-13-2014, 11:15 AM
Well, I got a Mateo sized one. Even the daughter was disappointed.

HolyMoly
11-13-2014, 11:49 AM
You guys are animals! The mice/rats are just cute little forest creatures that mean no harm, and you enjoy killing them!

C-2
11-13-2014, 11:56 AM
You guys are animals! The mice/rats are just cute little forest creatures that mean no harm, and you enjoy killing them!

The Kangaroo rats are kind of cool, I try not to kill those (are they still protected?). They mostly hang out at the horse property, not our house.

Uhhh hmmm, cough cough, I'm told they are easier to kill since they kind of "hop" along, as opposed to a full on sprint by the ghetto rats. Had one get into the house and simply used a broom to fling him , like a hockey puck, out the front door.

HolyMoly
11-13-2014, 12:32 PM
The Kangaroo rats are kind of cool, I try not to kill those (are they still protected?). They mostly hang out at the horse property, not our house.

Uhhh hmmm, cough cough, I'm told they are easier to kill since they kind of "hop" along, as opposed to a full on sprint by the ghetto rats. Had one get into the house and simply used a broom to fling him , like a hockey puck, out the front door.

The kangaroo rats/mice are still protected in some areas. I trapped a HUGE one in a glue trap. It was so big, I actually didn't know what it was as it looked like a small koala bear! But the rear legs gave it away. The mice and rats stay away from the house for the most part. I find them up around my chickens...they try to chew their way into feed bins. I use the electric traps and have great results with that. I did catch a mouse in the house with the vacuum cleaner...he was trying to hide in the pantry, so I pulled out the Dyson and got him!!! And he was still alive! We gave him a pool party in a 5 gallon bucket!

The mice/rats occasionally get under the hoods of vehicles and eat wires...especially the lower clearance trucks and cars. If you pop the hood, they tend to not bother the engine...but the transmission is another story.

ChumpChange
11-13-2014, 01:36 PM
Just bought some more gear.

C-2
11-13-2014, 06:13 PM
Just bought some more gear.

Dang...lol, happy hunting!

ChumpChange
11-13-2014, 07:41 PM
Dang...lol, happy hunting!

The fun will start this weekend. Gardeners come tomorrow so I'll have a nice fresh playground.

C-2
11-13-2014, 09:43 PM
Got anotherr little one, I think they are Kangaroo rats, had to break out the shillelagh to finish it off; trap is too big. Daughter was blowing up my phone to tell me she heard the trap go off.

Father/daughter bonding :D

C-2
12-19-2014, 11:15 PM
Oh look, he's sleeping. How cute :action-smiley-060:

C-2
12-19-2014, 11:19 PM
Oh these bastards.

Man, they got me good.

So early last week I heard some bustling around in the laundry room. So I closed the door to the house, opened the door to the garage and raised hell with the machines, and yup, a little bastard ran out from a machine. Rather than kill it, I forced it out into the garage.

After all, these are the cute little Kangaroo rats.

So last Friday evening I started my weekend by feeding my horses a little later than usual (already dark), and was met with one of my horses down. When a horse goes down, it's usually not much different than a car accident. Got the horse up, assessed it and found the problem, went home after several hours.

Whew, time for a coffee on Saturday morning...

Then my daughter called and said the house was flooding. So I hauled ass back home (as best we could through the streets of Norco, lol).

I arrived home, opened the washer, saw it was full of water and still running. Turned it off and assesssed the water damage - standing water in my hallway, master bedroom and daughters room. We jumped into action with a couple of wet vacs and every dry towel and rag we had. Damage looks minimal, nothing to call Servepro over, and certainly no homeowners insurance claim. I like living in my house, and not a hotel for months, lol.

So our Saturday morning continued… back over to the horses and now two of them had issues. Great.

But, I told wifey, at least we dodged a bullet with the washing machine - I checked it out and the drain was clogged. All better now....

Uhh, wrong, washer still fawked up. Dang, everything was wet.

"Gawd damn thing is only a year old" I yelled at G.E. customer service. And what about the damage it caused? So they set an appointment for this past Thursday.

On Wednesday, I noticed the smell of funk. OK, standing water in the washer, I guessed. But, towards about noon the smell was getting stronger, so I fiddled with the broken washer and noticed the water coming from it did not smell. WTF?

So I cracked a few bottom screws and saw some rat droppings in the water pan.

Uh oh, I knew where this was going....rat bastards chewed something up and the repair would not be covered under warranty.

So I checked out the machine from top to bottom and noticed the small was really strong by the control panel. Huh?

Yup, dead little fucker behind the control knobs. Double W-T-F.

Oh, and look, a chewed-thru water pressure line.

So one of those cute little bastards crawled up into the control panel area and chewed through the water line….then died. Not sure how or why the rat died, but it did.

So $5 for hose, $25 for overnight shipping and 10 minutes later – the washer works again.

No more Mr. Nice Guy.

riverrunner1984
12-20-2014, 06:47 AM
Oh these bastards.

Man, they got me good.

So early last week I heard some bustling around in the laundry room. So I closed the door to the house, opened the door to the garage and raised hell with the machines, and yup, a little bastard ran out from a machine. Rather than kill it, I forced it out into the garage.

After all, these are the cute little Kangaroo rats.

So last Friday evening I started my weekend by feeding my horses a little later than usual (already dark), and was met with one of my horses down. When a horse goes down, it's usually not much different than a car accident. Got the horse up, assessed it and found the problem, went home after several hours.

Whew, time for a coffee on Saturday morning...

Then my daughter called and said the house was flooding. So I hauled ass back home (as best we could through the streets of Norco, lol).

I arrived home, opened the washer, saw it was full of water and still running. Turned it off and assesssed the water damage - standing water in my hallway, master bedroom and daughters room. We jumped into action with a couple of wet vacs and every dry towel and rag we had. Damage looks minimal, nothing to call Servepro over, and certainly no homeowners insurance claim. I like living in my house, and not a hotel for months, lol.

So our Saturday morning continued… back over to the horses and now two of them had issues. Great.

But, I told wifey, at least we dodged a bullet with the washing machine - I checked it out and the drain was clogged. All better now....

Uhh, wrong, washer still fawked up. Dang, everything was wet.

"Gawd damn thing is only a year old" I yelled at G.E. customer service. And what about the damage it caused? So they set an appointment for this past Thursday.

On Wednesday, I noticed the smell of funk. OK, standing water in the washer, I guessed. But, towards about noon the smell was getting stronger, so I fiddled with the broken washer and noticed the water coming from it did not smell. WTF?

So I cracked a few bottom screws and saw some rat droppings in the water pan.

Uh oh, I knew where this was going....rat bastards chewed something up and the repair would not be covered under warranty.

So I checked out the machine from top to bottom and noticed the small was really strong by the control panel. Huh?

Yup, dead little fucker behind the control knobs. Double W-T-F.

Oh, and look, a chewed-thru water pressure line.

So one of those cute little bastards crawled up into the control panel area and chewed through the water line….then died. Not sure how or why the rat died, but it did.

So $5 for hose, $25 for overnight shipping and 10 minutes later – the washer works again.

No more Mr. Nice Guy.

That sucks! I have an outdoor kegerator in my back yard with the tap built into my granite counter. The damn rats chewed through the beer line between the keg and the counter. I swear it is the smallest little space and how they fit it beyond me.

ChumpChange
01-18-2015, 08:13 PM
No snap needed for this one. Dog.

C-2
01-18-2015, 09:33 PM
No snap needed for this one. Dog.

Now that's a rat!

What type of dog?

I'm gonna guess, white guy...banker...Porsche....Golden Retiever?

ChumpChange
01-18-2015, 09:40 PM
Now that's a rat!

What type of dog?

I'm gonna guess, white guy...banker...Porsche....Golden Retiever?

lol. Chocolate Lab.

sangermike
01-20-2015, 07:06 AM
be careful with poison the rats or mice can crawl in the walls of the house and die. your left with a smell that opening up the wall is the only way to rid of the smell. Also if you boat is outside the can play hell with the wiring. use traps or the box that has stick paper on the bottom.

riverrunner1984
01-20-2015, 08:49 AM
be careful with poison the rats or mice can crawl in the walls of the house and die. your left with a smell that opening up the wall is the only way to rid of the smell. Also if you boat is outside the can play hell with the wiring. use traps or the box that has stick paper on the bottom.

We moved into the new house on Fri and the garage attic and one of the downstairs rooms had this God awful smell....While putting boxes up in the attic, we found the dead rat....It was nasty....forgot to take a pic though....

riverrunner1984
03-04-2015, 08:14 AM
Well we got them in the attic. We can hear them at night....went and got my arsenal at Home Depot this morning....
http://tapatalk.imageshack.com/v2/15/03/04/40569f7b0ded056ea0a59850698ef357.jpg

ChumpChange
03-04-2015, 09:18 AM
Well we got them in the attic. We can hear them at night....went and got my arsenal at Home Depot this morning....

Walk around your house and make sure there are no trees touching your roof. Find out how they get in there or you'll never get rid of them all.

riverrunner1984
03-04-2015, 09:57 AM
Walk around your house and make sure there are no trees touching your roof. Find out how they get in there or you'll never get rid of them all.

Thats what Im affraid of.....No trees but I think there is one of those vents above the foundation with no screen on but filled with expandable foam...Dumb ass previous owners.....Pretty sure that is where they are coming in from....Going to have to chip away all the foam and get a new screen....Something else on my weekend to-do list lol

ChumpChange
03-04-2015, 10:01 AM
They don'l like steel wool won't chew through it. So if you have any holes, stuff some SOS pads in there and it will fix those problems.

riverrunner1984
03-04-2015, 10:12 AM
They don'l like steel wool won't chew through it. So if you have any holes, stuff some SOS pads in there and it will fix those problems.

:thumbup: good to know. thx!

C-2
03-04-2015, 09:29 PM
You should see all my tweeker fixes, lol.

Bastards make short work of climbing vertically up stucco, too.

So after the washer incident I tried the glue traps. Heard a ruckus, but the bastard got away. BUT, all quiet upstairs. Smart rat.

riverrunner1984
03-10-2015, 07:28 AM
So I get home last night to this.....turns out the dog caught this in the yard yesterday afternoon, my grandma saw him and yelled for him to drop it (she was worried about the dog getting a disease lol). So the rat was still partially alive and started climbing the wall. Well my 82 year old grandma was having none of that and hit it twice with a hand garden shovel to finish it off. She scooped it in the bag and left it to show me when I got home lol

http://tapatalk.imageshack.com/v2/15/03/10/82fd54665aa1d09284beebfe64164b1a.jpg

Not very big but I'm hoping there aren't any more....

ChumpChange
03-10-2015, 10:12 AM
Not very big but I'm hoping there aren't any more....

Nice job Grandma! But I'm laughing at your last comment. There's as much HOPE in that as in Obama's presidency. :D