PDA

View Full Version : Manual Transmission

Mrs.K034
06-08-2014, 11:12 AM
Okay, so I'm sitting here watching Nascar, and they are talking about Kyle Larson having to go home and practice shifting in a Camaro. Lol. So I was thinking, it's crazy how many kids these days, even adults my age, that don't know how to drive a stick! I drive a stick everyday, and our kids are going to learn that way.. What do you all think?

papaletch4130
06-08-2014, 11:14 AM
Nascar is gay thats what I think.

HB Vic
06-08-2014, 11:15 AM

Lmfao

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Stainless
06-08-2014, 11:30 AM
I started out with manual trans, autos weren't reliable for significant towing. Wow that has changed with companies like Allison.

Recently I saw 40 something woman in a BMW with stick leaving from light and was impressed how smooth she started and took it up through the gears.

CH3NO2

Eli
06-08-2014, 11:31 AM
Man this is an open garage door of fun I could have and will pass lol

I learned to drive a stick when I was 15. I didn't have a license yet. I owned a manual for 8 years.

Sent from my Bat Cave

Mrs.K034
06-08-2014, 11:40 AM

You're gay.

Mrs.K034
06-08-2014, 11:43 AM

I learned to drive a stick when I was 15. I didn't have a license yet. I owned a manual for 8 years.

Sent from my Bat Cave

Hahaha!! Right? That's awesome.. It's just crazy how many kids don't know how to drive a stick. I really prefer it, honestly.

papaletch4130
06-08-2014, 11:44 AM
You're gay. you are!

Mrs.K034
06-08-2014, 11:45 AM
I started out with manual trans, autos weren't reliable for significant towing. Wow that has changed with companies like Allison.

Recently I saw 40 something woman in a BMW with stick leaving from light and was impressed how smooth she started and took it up through the gears.

CH3NO2

True! 40 women in one BMW?? Wow, that IS impressive! Lol 😉

Mrs.K034
06-08-2014, 11:50 AM
you are!

No, you are one. Lol.. Okay now that we got that out of the way.. What do you think, Do you want your daughter to learn how to drive a stick? Or is it something that's really not a big deal. I think it's a good thing to learn.

Stainless
06-08-2014, 11:55 AM
True! 40 women in one BMW?? Wow, that IS impressive! Lol 😉

That's why it had a stick. :D

CH3NO2

Mrs.K034
06-08-2014, 12:09 PM
That's why it had a stick. :D

CH3NO2

Hahaha!

riverrunner1984
06-08-2014, 01:38 PM
I sit in way to much traffic commuting to and from work to have a manual transmission.

CampbellCarl
06-08-2014, 01:41 PM

I learned to drive a stick when I was 15. I didn't have a license yet. I owned a manuel for 8 years.

Sent from my Bat Cave

Fixed...

papaletch4130
06-08-2014, 02:04 PM
No, you are one. Lol.. Okay now that we got that out of the way.. What do you think, Do you want your daughter to learn how to drive a stick? Or is it something that's really not a big deal. I think it's a good thing to learn. No one can handle a stick like you!!!

Sharp shooter
06-08-2014, 02:22 PM
No one can handle a stick like you!!!

:shock:

papaletch4130
06-08-2014, 02:37 PM
:shock: To far?? Oh shit she can handle it... haha

Stainless
06-08-2014, 02:40 PM

:eek: lol

CH3NO2

Nordie
06-08-2014, 03:26 PM
Funny stuff, am I a kid at 29?

With my work experience I have had to drive semi trucks, tow trucks, flatbed trucks, and I worked as a used car salesman for a while, I had to learn how to drive anything. As far as driving in Vegas I am damn glad I am in an automatic. If I lived anywhere rural I would definitely have a manual as a daily driver...

Mrs.K034
06-08-2014, 08:36 PM
Funny stuff, am I a kid at 29?

With my work experience I have had to drive semi trucks, tow trucks, flatbed trucks, and I worked as a used car salesman for a while, I had to learn how to drive anything. As far as driving in Vegas I am damn glad I am in an automatic. If I lived anywhere rural I would definitely have a manual as a daily driver...

No, 29 isn't a kid, lol.. That makes you an adult at my age. Sounds like a lot of experience.. I didn't really mind the stick in the LA traffic too much, except the fact that it's hard on the clutch, I had to replace it when I lived out there, since I've been in havasu for the past five years.. It's fine.. But then again I'm about a whole 3 minutes from work.

Mrs.K034
06-08-2014, 08:37 PM

Saw this coming from a mile away from you! Lol.!

Paul65K
06-08-2014, 10:05 PM
To far?? Oh shit she can handle it... haha
It's too :D

Mrs.K034
06-08-2014, 10:08 PM
It's too :D

Like he would know.

redant
06-09-2014, 08:50 AM
Okay, so I'm sitting here watching Nascar, and they are talking about Kyle Larson having to go home and practice shifting in a Camaro. Lol. So I was thinking, it's crazy how many kids these days, even adults my age, that don't know how to drive a stick! I drive a stick everyday, and our kids are going to learn that way.. What do you all think?

I agree. My kid drove/drives a stick. I took my drivers license test with a stick. Any grandkids I may or may not have will know how to drive a stick. My dad was a believer in us kids knowing how to comfortably drive anything. He wanted us to know how to start and drive any boat we had too. And we did.

djunkie
06-09-2014, 08:53 AM
I've owned many manuals. My first car was a manual. Up until about 3 years ago I was driving a beater Ford Ranger to work everyday that was a manual. They're kinda fun but I think I enjoy my new work truck with an auto a little more now. :D

Eli
06-09-2014, 09:19 AM
I've owned many manuals. My first car was a manual. Up until about 3 years ago I was driving a beater Ford Ranger to work everyday that was a manual. They're kinda fun but I think I enjoy my new work truck with an auto a little more now. :D

I like my auto/manual option in my car. I hardly ever use the manual. I'm too lazy now. But it's important to know how to drive both types just in case.

Sent from my Bat Cave

kevnmcd
06-09-2014, 12:03 PM
Both my kids first cars were sticks. My wife and I both learned on sticks as well. Everyone should know how to,drive one.

SBS933
06-09-2014, 12:53 PM
I have been driving stick since day one, then with the long drive to work and back i went to automatic. Then they gave me a company truck. Go Figure.

Mrs.K034
06-09-2014, 08:32 PM
I love this, everyone has something personal to say about it.

redant
06-10-2014, 08:27 AM
I had a manual when I was younger & I won't do it again. Just way to many cars & too much traffic out here to be shifting 100s of times just to get home after work. My car is also a shiftable AT, meaning I can put the tranny in "sport" mode & shift it like a manual. I think I've done that once or twice lol. For a new driver, I would go against it. The odds of a younger driver getting in an accident within their first 12 months is high enough, having to take a hand off the wheel & use a clutch at the same time would just seem to add to that possibility even more...IMO.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Manual trans are not fun in traffic. Unfortunately I have extra small hands and can't reach the paddle shifter while keeping my hand on the steering wheel. Love my 6 speed manual for that reason. Of course the car is not my daily driver either.

Paul65K
06-10-2014, 08:34 AM
I have had lots of manual transmissions growing up my first 3 cars were stick, one of which we kept for 19 years but we gotta remember that the automatic transmissions of the 70's and 80 were really inferior to a stick....these days many automatic transmissions are much better than the sticks that are offered and when you combine a set of paddle shifters as well as "Intelligent" transmissions that learn your driving patterns it's hard to even think of a stick with some very rare exceptions......in any case the 3 cars we have are all automatic, although the Cooper S has a techtronic transmission with paddle shifters.