PDA

View Full Version : Gotta Love That Hoopty

Eli
05-28-2014, 09:35 AM
When my sister got her license, 1990, father gave her a hoopty as her first car. It made perfect sense because my sister was/is not the best driver and we really couldn't afford a nice car. We were so thrilled to be driving. So she drove a 1982 Nissan Datsun, shit brown color and all beaten and tore up from bumper to bumper, but man we had some great times in that bucket. She would pack it up with half my cheerleading squad with our limbs sticking out the window just so we could all fit. The gas gauge didn't work so we ran out of gas ALL the time. I can't count the number of times we pushed that car into a gas station. It had the worst blown speakers, but we didn't care we would blast the music and sing from the top of our lungs, playing air instruments like we were on some stage getting paid $1,000,000 for our performances.

My favorite and most frustrating part of that car was that at the end of it's long and exciting life, it had an electrical malfunction. Pretty much, every time she pressed the brake the same fuse popped and we had to change it. Luckily the fuse box was just to the front of her driver door so we could change the fuse easily. We learned pretty quickly that we couldn't afford that many new fuses so I learned how to Mickey Mouse repair them (no offense to Music to My Ears ;)). I took some electrical wire and wrapped it from end to end of the fuse. Well, driving that hoopty in traffic was just awesome. I would sit in the passenger seat and have at least 2 backup fuses ready to go and as soon as one popped we were switching the fuse and I was fixing a fuse. We became a well oiled machine. We could fix and replace a fuse and go back to our singing and dancing like it never happened. Best part was, I was always guaranteed shotgun since no one else could fix a fuse.

Do you have a hoopty story?

This isn't a picture of the actual car, but it's pretty close if you add a lot of dings and dents and remove the hubcaps.

HB Vic
05-28-2014, 10:00 AM
Wow that's pretty brutal LOL

I think my first vehicle didn't have handles to roll the windows up or down.

But I had visegrips :D

riverrunner1984
05-28-2014, 10:06 AM
1983 Buick Park Avenue
My grandpa gave it to me when I was 16.
Wish I still had it for sentimental reasons.

Eli
05-28-2014, 10:07 AM
1983 Buick Park Avenue

That's not a hoopty that's a MacDaddy car

HB Vic
05-28-2014, 10:09 AM
1983 Buick Park Avenue

Big pimpin :D

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

CampbellCarl
05-28-2014, 11:02 AM
E, I know that you're not much on wheels, tires and such blither but, in your picture of the brown turd........the hub caps ARE gone....

Eli
05-28-2014, 11:10 AM
E, I know that you're not much on wheels, tires and such blither but, in your picture of the brown turd........the hub caps ARE gone....

Haha! I just thought those were rusty hubcaps. I should've spent more time learning wheels vs. Fuses ;)

Sent from my Bat Cave

314joey
05-28-2014, 01:35 PM
Here's one of my cars back when I was young and broke, it was taken in 1980, yes, the crappy car in the pic was mine, my Wife (at the time, not wife now) always drove the nice car, that bitch.
The little girl is my Daughter who is 38 now.