PDA

View Full Version : Hey Paul or Pilots

Stainless
05-14-2014, 12:14 PM
Is there a reliable website pilots use for weather conditions, specifically wind?

CH3NO2

ChumpChange
05-14-2014, 12:36 PM
Whatever you do, stay away from Ontario Airport today!

Stainless
05-14-2014, 12:51 PM
Whatever you do, stay away from Ontario Airport today!

Sounds like here, we are installing mirrors mounted to steel trusses that are 10'x75' and only weigh 3000lb. They look kinda like the wings of Wright brothers airplane when they are being hoisted in place.
I'm trying to find something that accurately predicts wind hour by hour while we are working.

CH3NO2

ChumpChange
05-14-2014, 12:52 PM
Here's a visual.

Brian
05-14-2014, 12:53 PM
I know there is an Iphone app but I forget what it's called.

Paul65K
05-14-2014, 01:45 PM
Well if you are a licensed pilot you can register for DUATS which is the FAA's Weather reporting system......I also have a paid APP called FlightSoft that ties into that weather automatically and it will give you current as well as forcast weather/winds for a given location and/or area.

Stainless you're in Tucson area right??

Stainless
05-14-2014, 01:54 PM
Well if you are a licensed pilot you can register for DUATS which is the FAA's Weather reporting system......I also have a paid APP called FlightSoft that ties into that weather automatically and it will give you current as well as forcast weather/winds for a given location and/or area.

Stainless you're in Tucson area right??

Yea, in Tucson. I'm looking for something I can check during windy periods to monitor when to cease assembly.

CH3NO2

SnoC653
05-14-2014, 04:06 PM
You can go to the FAA's ASOS or ATIS site and get the current weather conditions. It doesn't give forecasts just current conditions. http://www.faa.gov/air_traffic/weather/asos/?state=AZ

Pick an airport close to where you are working. You can check it by phone as well.

Stainless
05-14-2014, 04:20 PM
You can go to the FAA's ASOS or ATIS site and get the current weather conditions. It doesn't give forecasts just current conditions. http://www.faa.gov/air_traffic/weather/asos/?state=AZ

Pick an airport close to where you are working. You can check it by phone as well.

Thank you, I'll paste it to my home screen.

CH3NO2

72Hondo
05-14-2014, 06:47 PM
Fltplan.com they have an app. You can save routes & station id's. WX with one click, METARS, TAF, winds aloft, NOTAMS the whole shabang

Paul65K
05-14-2014, 06:54 PM
Fltplan.com they have an app. You can save routes & station id's. WX with one click, METARS, TAF, winds aloft, NOTAMS the whole shabang
I'm not familiar with that one.....does it require a Pilot Number to register....I know DUAT does??

72Hondo
05-14-2014, 06:57 PM
I'm not familiar with that one.....does it require a Pilot Number to register....I know DUAT does??

I can't remember if it does or not. I registered so long ago. You would only need to log in to file a FP, no need to log in to check WX or other things. I fine it usefully for things on the fly.