PDA

View Full Version : A 76 Hondo GT comes home

OhHondoGT
05-13-2014, 11:30 AM
I posted a picture and this brief description in the Wild V Drives Thread, Sharp Shooter recommended that I post a build thread here so here goes - flame away.

Hello all, new to this forum but not new to dragboats. My dad raced flats from the late 60's through the 80's here in the mid west and then I ran the Hondo GT pictured below through the 90's. Sold the boat in 2000 and never thought I'd see it again, it sat in a barn for 13 years collecting dust till the guy who bought it from me called and asked if I wanted it back. She's going through a partial restoration to start her new life as a lake rod / part time bracket racer for fun. I bought this boat for the first time in 1990, restored it, then had a great racing career with it. With the help of my family, we wound up with 6 high points championships and even managed a Driver of the year award in 1996. I'm really glad to have it back, it's like a member of the family!

OhHondoGT
05-13-2014, 11:34 AM
So here we are picking up the boat last summer and sitting in the seat for the first time in 13 years!

OhHondoGT
05-13-2014, 11:42 AM
After we got it home and took a good look at it we decided all the hardware needed to come out and replaced, it was all well worn after it's racing career. Also decided that the floors needed to be refinished, found some delam on the stringers in spots plus the floors just looked bad so I started grinding fiberglass.....

What a horrible job and I will never do this again - much of the summer of 2013 was spent being very itchy from fiberglass dust.

OhHondoGT
05-13-2014, 11:49 AM
The original wood looked good after all the grinding, too bad I made a few rookie mistakes and ground through the top layer of it in a few spots. So I laminated down a layer of end-grain balsa and got some epoxy / cloth back over the floor by late fall. I went with epoxy because it's easier to work with, doesn't stink and is supposed to perform very well.

OhHondoGT
05-13-2014, 11:57 AM
After the epoxy cured I started finish sanding in preparation for flow coating, I decided that I should start fabbing the new hardware before the final flow coat so I wouldn't have to worry about scratching it.
4048440485[ATTACH=CONFIG]
As you can see, everything is going to be new.

OhHondoGT
05-13-2014, 12:06 PM
My brother decided to get in on the act and buy a Hondo flat to have some fun with, He purchased this 76 Hondo from Top Fuel racer Mike Robbins in North Carolina. It's getting new hardware also and a floor rehab, but he decided not to go as far as I did and I don't blame him.

OhHondoGT
05-13-2014, 12:09 PM
4048940490A few more hardware pics..

At this point we're done fabbing and getting back on finishing the floors - more updates as soon as I have them.

Sharp shooter
05-13-2014, 01:19 PM
Awesome!!! And 6 time hi point winner and driver of the year! Nice, you're quite accomplished!!!

The paint looks really nice! Hopefully you have a good work cover to protect it through all of this. Is that an Enderle in the action photo? Is that a tunnel ram under it? I like the ford idea and look forward to hearing more about that. The floors look like a ton of work, but it appears the hardest part is behind you so that's got to feel good. I like the GT deck Hondo's, they have a well thought out look and they aren't very common. :thumbup:

I can't see the last 2 attachments, something didn't work....?

OhHondoGT
05-13-2014, 01:51 PM
Thanks again SS, the induction in the action pic is an Enderle hat on top of a tunnel ram - it worked really well and was incredibly responsive. As far as our accomplishments, it helped a lot to have a dad with 20 years experience running flats! He always had it set up to perfection and my 2 brothers put in a ton of work to make it all happen, I couldn't have done any of it without them for sure!

The paint in the pics looks much better than real life lol! Between all of the road rash from being drug all over to the races and serving as a shelf for the interim owner, she needs a paint job too but that can wait till after I get to drive it again! BTW, the orange sticker on the dash is the tech inspection sticker from the last race we attended at the end of the 99 season. It was still on there when I picked up the boat, too cool!

Not sure why the last few attachments didn't work, they showed up when I made the post. I'll try to fix them.

Sharp shooter
05-13-2014, 03:24 PM
Thanks again SS, the induction in the action pic is an Enderle hat on top of a tunnel ram - it worked really well and was incredibly responsive. As far as our accomplishments, it helped a lot to have a dad with 20 years experience running flats! He always had it set up to perfection and my 2 brothers put in a ton of work to make it all happen, I couldn't have done any of it without them for sure!

The paint in the pics looks much better than real life lol! Between all of the road rash from being drug all over to the races and serving as a shelf for the interim owner, she needs a paint job too but that can wait till after I get to drive it again! BTW, the orange sticker on the dash is the tech inspection sticker from the last race we attended at the end of the 99 season. It was still on there when I picked up the boat, too cool!

Not sure why the last few attachments didn't work, they showed up when I made the post. I'll try to fix them.

Ok I see those 2 pics now!

Looking good! How much of a runner is under your boat? Is it the normal 5/8ths? Looks shallow in that last pic...

What color are you thinking for the hardware?

2manymustangs
05-13-2014, 04:48 PM
After the epoxy cured I started finish sanding in preparation for flow coating, I decided that I should start fabbing the new hardware before the final flow coat so I wouldn't have to worry about scratching it.
4048440485[ATTACH=CONFIG]
As you can see, everything is going to be new.

Very nice work... AND FORD POWER!!! TELL ME MORE, please... :action-smiley-035:

OhHondoGT
05-13-2014, 05:19 PM
Ok I see those 2 pics now!

Looking good! How much of a runner is under your boat? Is it the normal 5/8ths? Looks shallow in that last pic...

What color are you thinking for the hardware?

It's actually the smaller 3/8" runner, it is a great boat to drive and takes a nice set.

Not sure about hardware color just yet, I look at a lot of pics trying to decide lol. What's your vote?

OhHondoGT
05-13-2014, 05:27 PM
Very nice work... AND FORD POWER!!! TELL ME MORE, please... :action-smiley-035:

Thank you. The engine is 525ci, pump gas, 10:1 compression. Ford Super Cobra Jet aluminum heads with a quick fuel 1050 carb. I had it in my 96 Mustang last year that went 9.82 at 139 foot braking so it makes decent power (about 630), I want to try a little bigger cam and a different intake for the boat to see if it will make a little more power. Really hope to run 10 ohs on pump gas, we'll see?

GotHalos
05-13-2014, 05:46 PM
Great thread, thanks for sharing! Love the look of the Hondo decks.

Pretty awesome you were able to get the boat back after a long hiatus. :thumbup:

Sharp shooter
05-13-2014, 06:34 PM
It's actually the smaller 3/8" runner, it is a great boat to drive and takes a nice set.

Not sure about hardware color just yet, I look at a lot of pics trying to decide lol. What's your vote?

That's interesting. I've never seen a 3/8th runner with anything but a straight deck much less the bubble T aka GT deck. :thumbup:

2manymustangs and I love ford power so we're chomping at the bit over this. :)

Check out 6:13 in this video. The boat is a Cole with a 600 inch Ford. It runs 120.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_13m79yO8XQ

GotHalos
05-13-2014, 06:43 PM
Can you fill a newb in on what flow coating is?

Finishing coat of clear or am I way off?

Eli
05-13-2014, 08:56 PM
Great thread! The look on your face your first time sitting in it again is worth 1000 words!

Sent from my Bat Cave

OhHondoGT
05-14-2014, 04:10 AM
Can you fill a newb in on what flow coating is?

Finishing coat of clear or am I way off?

Nope you're right on, it's the final layer of clear coat that is self leveling for a smooth, deep finish. It also provides UV resistance for the resins underneath so they don't yellow.

OhHondoGT
05-14-2014, 04:14 AM
That's interesting. I've never seen a 3/8th runner with anything but a straight deck much less the bubble T aka GT deck. :thumbup:

2manymustangs and I love ford power so we're chomping at the bit over this. :)

Check out 6:13 in this video. The boat is a Cole with a 600 inch Ford. It runs 120.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_13m79yO8XQ

Now that you mention it, I have never seen another GT Hondo with the smaller runner bottom. Every other GT deck I've ever seen had the deeper 5/8" runner. Thanks for the video, that Cole hauls the mail!

Glad to hear there's a few Ford fans in this crowd, I'm going to do my best to make it run well.

OhHondoGT
05-14-2014, 04:18 AM
Great thread! The look on your face your first time sitting in it again is worth 1000 words!

Sent from my Bat Cave

It was an unbelievable feeling to sit in that seat again after so long. We drove 7 hours to get the boat and I could hardly contain myself the whole way there! My family and I have a lot of history with this boat so it felt like the world was right again after getting it back lol.

Brian
05-14-2014, 08:56 AM
My Gondo GT has the traditional bottom. never seen the 3/8 bottom on a GT either. Any pics of the actual bottom.

Here is mine, photo credit to Sharp Shooter!

GotHalos
05-14-2014, 08:59 AM
Nope you're right on, it's the final layer of clear coat that is self leveling for a smooth, deep finish. It also provides UV resistance for the resins underneath so they don't yellow.

Thanks. :thumbup:

Brian
05-14-2014, 08:59 AM
After we got it home and took a good look at it we decided all the hardware needed to come out and replaced, it was all well worn after it's racing career. Also decided that the floors needed to be refinished, found some delam on the stringers in spots plus the floors just looked bad so I started grinding fiberglass.....

What a horrible job and I will never do this again - much of the summer of 2013 was spent being very itchy from fiberglass dust.

I just noticed the riding mower is your tow vehicle in this shot. Nice!!

OhHondoGT
05-14-2014, 09:42 AM
My Gondo GT has the traditional bottom. never seen the 3/8 bottom on a GT either. Any pics of the actual bottom.

Here is mine, photo credit to Sharp Shooter!

Hello Brian,

I've seen your boat on Performance Boat and I love it, the stack injection is too cool! :thumbsUp:
I'll snap a pic of the bottom as soon as I can and post it up for you. If I'm not mistaken the bottom on my boat was the XH511 and the deeper runner on your boat was called the XH511T. According to all the info Jim Lange has posted on PB about the history of Cole bottom design, the Cole TR-1 was a splash of the XH511 while the Cole TR-2 was a splash of the XH511T.

And yes the lawn mower does make it much easier to get the boat in and out of the garage!

OhHondoGT
01-15-2015, 02:00 PM
It's been a while since I've updated this thread so I thought I'd post a few progress pics.. First up, got the bottom all fixed up and looking good again.

OhHondoGT
01-15-2015, 02:04 PM
Next was the trailer, bought a Competitive from a guy in CA and had it shipped back to Ohio. I'm converting it to a dolly style so it takes up less room in the garage - it was white but we repainted it black. This was right after getting home from the body shop (and just missing the snow).

OhHondoGT
01-15-2015, 02:07 PM
And last but not least for now, finally finished the floor. What a project this was, can't even begin to imagine how many hours this took form start to finish..

That's it for now, time for a vinyl wrap so it'll look decent until I can repaint it and then start bolting hardware back in.

2manymustangs
01-15-2015, 05:58 PM
Awesome work there!!! THose floors / stringers look @@ KILLER!!!!!

Can you describe your steps / materials at a HIGH level please???

Nevermind, I went back to the start of this thread, end grain balsa over the original stripped down floors with EPOXY over that...

DId you say that you DID clear urethane over the epoxy???

OhHondoGT
01-15-2015, 06:17 PM

Nevermind, I went back to the start of this thread, end grain balsa over the original stripped down floors with EPOXY over that...

It's another clear epoxy with UV inhibitors in it. It was a bitch to apply and sand smooth so it looked pretty, I sanded and sanded and sanded to get it to look like it does - never again.

OhHondoGT
01-15-2015, 06:19 PM

And thank you by the way.

wannabe
01-18-2015, 05:22 PM
I just used DurePox on mine. NEVER AGAIN!!!!
That baby looks awesome!! Great work.

OhHondoGT
01-19-2015, 10:17 AM
I just used DurePox on mine. NEVER AGAIN!!!!
That baby looks awesome!! Great work.

Thank you. It seems that everyone who redoes their floors says that same thing at the end - "Never Again!!"

wannabe
01-19-2015, 08:44 PM
Sorry, not Durepox, that is a speed coat. The junk I used was Duratec. I would flowcoat and cut and buff again. Just not use that crap.

HB Vic
01-19-2015, 10:32 PM
Wow it really looks great!

OhHondoGT
01-20-2015, 05:59 AM
Wow it really looks great!

Thank you. Called Dan at Canyon Boats yesterday to order a new rudder, nice guy to talk with.

westair
02-01-2015, 01:07 AM
Great thread! ...love the look of the Hondo GT decks .... looking forward to more pics as you go

2manymustangs
02-01-2015, 11:52 AM
Yesterday (Saturday) in my journeys I made a cool new boating connection, performance engine builder that used to wrench for Lou Osmond/Team SpeedSport TFH (before Famous Amos joined Lou's team). He has a SUPER nice Hondo drag boat runner bottom in his shop that is being set for weekend play for a former drag racer, I will share pics soon...

Please keep showing your progress, very cool project sir...

OhHondoGT
02-02-2015, 10:32 AM
Thanks for all the responses, glad to hear I'm not boring everyone to death.

V Drive and shaft log mock-up.

2manymustangs
02-02-2015, 10:47 AM
Thanks for all the responses, glad to hear I'm not boring everyone to death.

V Drive and shaft log mock-up.

:popcorn:

Brian
02-06-2015, 02:47 PM
x2 looking great!

OhHondoGT
03-16-2015, 11:50 AM
Slow progress, lots going on in life right now but I finally got the 2 outside cavitation plates, the strut and the fin all mounted. Pic of strut braces..

HB Vic
03-16-2015, 12:03 PM
Looks super clean. Paint or powder?

OhHondoGT
03-16-2015, 12:34 PM
Looks super clean. Paint or powder?

Thanks it's Matte Black powder coat.

Most of the hardware will be this color with some chrome and polish thrown in here and there to break it up.

Undersoul02
03-16-2015, 02:08 PM
Boat looks awesome! I love the matte black look! :action-smiley-035:

Brian
03-16-2015, 03:37 PM
Looking good. I need to take mine apart and re do it. It's time.

Mrs.K034
03-16-2015, 06:36 PM
Looks really good!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OhHondoGT
03-17-2015, 06:25 AM
Thank you all - trying to keep the theme of a clean, industrial kind of look this time around. The hardware on the transom will be a mix of gloss black and some polished stainless / aluminum (like the first pic) The boat will be white so I used this boat as my template. The one outside cavitation plate mounted (in the crappy 2nd pic) I wet-sanded and buffed it before installing it.

OhHondoGT
03-17-2015, 06:34 AM
Looking good. I need to take mine apart and re do it. It's time.

Let's get 2 Hondo GT re-do threads going!

OhHondoGT
04-07-2015, 08:00 AM
Finally got the other plates on.

It's been a really bad couple of weeks as we lost our dad recently. He got us into these flatbottoms, he raced them from the mid 60's to the mid 80's, we skied behind flatbottoms and grew up around them. This is him towards the end of his career in his Comp Flat Hondo - we're going to miss him a lot.

2manymustangs
04-07-2015, 03:24 PM
Very nice!!! Keep posting the pics/progress... :thumb:

hyperpasta
04-07-2015, 04:38 PM
Tim.....

Sorry to hear of your loss and please accept my condolences, this has to really suck. Hang in there and continue to trudge onward through your build.

Mine build is getting close too.
Got the Ford "Dump Truck" motor in, now I'm trying to fit everything into the hull with some sort of semblance to a Dragboat. Ha!
Nice call on the Flat Black powder coating! Nice!

http://i762.photobucket.com/albums/xx269/hyperpasta/017_zpslmycxemg.jpg

Mrs.K034
04-07-2015, 07:19 PM
Finally got the other plates on.

It's been a really bad couple of weeks as we lost our dad recently. He got us into these flatbottoms, he raced them from the mid 60's to the mid 80's, we skied behind flatbottoms and grew up around them. This is him towards the end of his career in his Comp Flat Hondo - we're going to miss him a lot.

Sorry to hear about your loss.. But good to see you're still moving forward on something you and he both loved!!

OhHondoGT
04-08-2015, 10:12 AM
Sorry to hear about your loss.. But good to see you're still moving forward on something you and he both loved!!

Thank you. It hasn't been easy to keep working on the boat lately because of all the memories but I keep plugging away. Hopefully he'll like it when it's finished.

OhHondoGT
05-01-2015, 11:49 AM
Tim.....

Sorry to hear of your loss and please accept my condolences, this has to really suck. Hang in there and continue to trudge onward through your build.

Mine build is getting close too.
Got the Ford "Dump Truck" motor in, now I'm trying to fit everything into the hull with some sort of semblance to a Dragboat. Ha!
Nice call on the Flat Black powder coating! Nice!

http://i762.photobucket.com/albums/xx269/hyperpasta/017_zpslmycxemg.jpg

Art - Sorry I haven't responded sooner and thanks for the kind words. The motor is looking great! Do you have a build thread going on here? If not you really need one, most of us only dream of putting together a brand new flat! Keep up the good work and keep us posted.

2manymustangs
05-01-2015, 04:18 PM
Very sorry for your loss, I dont know how I missed that in your post... :(

Very sorry sir...

OhHondoGT
05-05-2015, 07:57 AM
Very sorry for your loss, I dont know how I missed that in your post... :(

Very sorry sir...

2MM - thank you for your thoughts. You would have liked my dad, he was a Ford guy through and through. This is a pic out in front of our family cottage in the mid 70's, dads Sanger Gullwing is in the middle - it was powered by a 429SCJ. It was a great running engine.

Sharp shooter
05-05-2015, 08:22 AM
I never would've guessed that the air reliefs don't extend all the way forward. Never seen this before, but I've never stuck my head under a 3/8th runner beyond the very back. The boat looks great especially the floors. You definitely have some skills!!! :thumb:

http://www.hotboat.com/frm/attachment.php?attachmentid=50979&d=1421355610

hyperpasta
05-05-2015, 08:18 PM
Art - Sorry I haven't responded sooner and thanks for the kind words. The motor is looking great! Do you have a build thread going on here? If not you really need one, most of us only dream of putting together a brand new flat! Keep up the good work and keep us posted.

Hi Tim,

Think I'll post a thread when I'm done. I drop a photo here or there every now and then. I need to update my website with more photos and the sort for sure. Last year I went racing with the Giroux boys and we brought home the High Point Championship for our bracket in the Lucas Oil Dragboat Series.... So my website took a major backseat to learning a bunch of new stuff and the boat has now taken on a more narrow focus. All I'm thinking about and working on is the boat now.

I think your dad, you and I would have gotten along famously seeing that you all are "Dye in the Wool" Ford guys. Just something about us underdogs that just have to work a bit harder and a bit smarter than the fellow next to us. Ha!

Keep slugging away! I'm looking forward to seeing your Hondo finished!!

Here's a sneak peek at some items I've mocked to see how thing fit, lots more work needs to be done of course....

http://i762.photobucket.com/albums/xx269/hyperpasta/034_zpsjsiimnyp.jpg

OhHondoGT
05-06-2015, 04:12 AM
I never would've guessed that the air reliefs don't extend all the way forward. Never seen this before, but I've never stuck my head under a 3/8th runner beyond the very back. The boat looks great especially the floors. You definitely have some skills!!! :thumb:

Thanks SS. It would be interesting to know why Irv didn't extend the air traps further forward and the chines all the way to the transom on the XH511 but it still seems to work pretty good. Here's a pic I found recently from our racing days, you can see it ran fairly clean in it's day.

hyperpasta
05-06-2015, 08:24 AM

I can't say for sure.....
but it looks like this was one of the early designs of the Runnerbottom. I can see were a couple pieces of Masonite might have been thrown in the bottom of the mold to create the hull design. Then later on a new mold was made or purpose built for the Runnerbottom design. One of the neat things about this hobby is that a lot of the history of this sport is still floating around and you can see just how designs have progressed over the decades.

OhHondoGT
05-13-2015, 10:22 AM
I can't say for sure.....
but it looks like this was one of the early designs of the Runnerbottom. I can see were a couple pieces of Masonite might have been thrown in the bottom of the mold to create the hull design. Then later on a new mold was made or purpose built for the Runnerbottom design. One of the neat things about this hobby is that a lot of the history of this sport is still floating around and you can see just how designs have progressed over the decades.

It is really interesting to learn how the different runner bottom designs evolved through the years. From what I've learned, my boat is a XH511 - Cole splashed this bottom and called it a TR1. After this design Irv made the runner a little deeper, removed a little bit of rocker, extended the chines to the transom and extended the air traps further forward - this became the XH511T design that was to be copied (and refined) by almost every other flatbottom manufacturer like the Cole TR2. Jim Lange has posted some great info on runnerbottom history / design on PB.

OhHondoGT
05-13-2015, 10:25 AM
Hi Tim,

Think I'll post a thread when I'm done. I drop a photo here or there every now and then. I need to update my website with more photos and the sort for sure. Last year I went racing with the Giroux boys and we brought home the High Point Championship for our bracket in the Lucas Oil Dragboat Series.... So my website took a major backseat to learning a bunch of new stuff and the boat has now taken on a more narrow focus. All I'm thinking about and working on is the boat now.

I think your dad, you and I would have gotten along famously seeing that you all are "Dye in the Wool" Ford guys. Just something about us underdogs that just have to work a bit harder and a bit smarter than the fellow next to us. Ha!

Keep slugging away! I'm looking forward to seeing your Hondo finished!!

Here's a sneak peek at some items I've mocked to see how thing fit, lots more work needs to be done of course....

http://i762.photobucket.com/albums/xx269/hyperpasta/034_zpsjsiimnyp.jpg

Outstanding work Art! Keep the updates coming, can't get enough of this boat.

OhHondoGT
11-09-2015, 11:58 AM
Well ladies and gents it's been a while but I'm back. After the death of my father and a move to a new house, I've finally gotten the Hondo to her new home and managed to get s few things accomplished. I hope to stay on it through the winter so I might be able to actually use this thing again before I get too old.

First up is the trailer re-do. Bought this Competitive trailer from a friend of Mouzers while on vacation in California (2013) and had it shipped back to Ohio.

Just back from the paint booth (after a lot of work).

Under the boat. Really like the road dolly look and the fact that it takes up less space in the garage. Fenders are polished stainless, not taking the protective wrap off of them until I'm done with the boat so they don't get scratched. Trailer got all new LED lights, torsion axles and has a foldaway tongue, just have a few details to finish before it's road ready.

OhHondoGT
11-09-2015, 12:05 PM
Next up we started bolting in the motor rails and got the new rudder in place. Got the rudder from Dan at Canyon boats - great guy to deal with. Going with a matte black powder coat on everything that touches the stringers for some contrast to the gloss black. I've seen this on a few other restorations and really like it, trying to maintain a clean / all business look.

OhHondoGT
11-09-2015, 12:10 PM
Not a great picture but all of the underwater gear is in and the bottom of the boat was speed coated before it was put on the trailer.

OhHondoGT
11-09-2015, 12:15 PM
Finished up the rudder and rudder support along with rear steering pulleys. If you look close we hid a bilge pump in the corner since this thing will be used at the lake once in a while (spent a week making a nice bracket to mount it on that you'll never see once the fuel tank is in!). Next I'll be sending more to the powder coaters and start working on hardware towards the front of the boat - I'll keep updating from here forward if any one is still interested?

hyperpasta
11-19-2015, 06:38 PM
The trailer came out beautiful. Quite the difference from the first photos in this post! :thumbup:

Love the flat black powder coating too. Your floors are off the hook as well! I'm really liking the color combo you got going on!

Lastly! You paint the bilge pump? It's pretty cool how you have it tucked back in there out of sight. Might have to copy you on that detail! :stir:

Great job Tim on your project! First class build and rigging...

Art

HB Vic
11-19-2015, 07:09 PM
Definitely some serious quality work right there. It looks amazing. Very nice work.

Sharp shooter
11-23-2015, 03:36 PM
Wow! Very nice!!!! All of it!

2manymustangs
11-24-2015, 09:50 AM
PLEASE keep the pics coming Hondo... Your pics/project look awesome...

Very sorry for the loss of your father... Sad news there... :(

P.S. I like your BIG COBRA JET sign in your shop :)

rioracr
12-02-2015, 08:06 AM
good to see you back at it, sorry about your pop............keep the pic's coming

OhHondoGT
12-22-2015, 09:41 AM
Sorry I haven't been on here in a while and thank you all for the kind words! I liked all of Art's steering stuff that he did on his Cole so much that I copied it all - Thanks Art! Here's the new column from Bergeron getting fitted up.

Getting the boat ready for paint now as I'm about as far as I can go on hardware, I'll post up more updates as I have them.

2manymustangs
12-23-2015, 10:36 AM
Sorry I haven't been on here in a while and thank you all for the kind words! I liked all of Art's steering stuff that he did on his Cole so much that I copied it all - Thanks Art! Here's the new column from Bergeron getting fitted up.

Getting the boat ready for paint now as I'm about as far as I can go on hardware, I'll post up more updates as I have them.

^^^^ thats a work of "Art" ;)

Looking good, thanks for the pix/updates :popcorn:

OhHondoGT
12-28-2015, 10:18 AM
^^^^ thats a work of "Art" ;)

Looking good, thanks for the pix/updates :popcorn:

Good one 2MM! I have to make sure I tell Art to keep his build threads updated so I can keep an eye on what he's doing!

hyperpasta
01-12-2016, 04:59 PM
Good one 2MM! I have to make sure I tell Art to keep his build threads updated so I can keep an eye on what he's doing!

I see you cut the base of the steering column to angle the steering wheel downward a tad. Sweet!
Looks like your build is coming along nicely! Keep plugging away!

OhHondoGT
01-18-2016, 12:26 PM
I see you cut the base of the steering column to angle the steering wheel downward a tad. Sweet!
Looks like your build is coming along nicely! Keep plugging away!

Hey Art, I actually installed it just the way I got it from Bergeron with the 7 degree angle on it. It might be that the dash in my ole Hondo GT has a different angle which lays it down flatter?

OhHondoGT
01-19-2016, 10:37 AM
Well folks here she is straight from the body shop last night. I really like the boat being all white, can't decide if I'll put any stripes on it or just throw her numbers back on it and call it good? We'll see.

2manymustangs
01-24-2016, 06:56 PM
She lookin purrrrrrdy... :D

hyperpasta
01-25-2016, 03:22 PM
Hey Art, I actually installed it just the way I got it from Bergeron with the 7 degree angle on it. It might be that the dash in my ole Hondo GT has a different angle which lays it down flatter?

Hi Tim,

Mine is uncut for the angle. So mine tips upward a tad. Sort of like driving a Model "A"!

OhHondoGT
01-26-2016, 10:52 AM
Hi Tim,

Mine is uncut for the angle. So mine tips upward a tad. Sort of like driving a Model "A"!

Yea I'm sure that Cole will feel just like a Model A!!!

OhHondoGT
01-26-2016, 11:00 AM
She lookin purrrrrrdy... :D

Thanks 2MM. The body shop that painted it mixes their own tint of white, really bright!

Latest update, hardware going on the transom and a few other odds and ends on the inside:

hyperpasta
02-01-2016, 03:12 PM
Very nice Tim! Clean and defined.
You hull is a knockout!

OhHondoGT
02-02-2016, 10:21 AM
Very nice Tim! Clean and defined.
You hull is a knockout!

Thanks Art, us old guys have to show 'em we still have game! When are you going to update us on your build, haven't seen anything in a while?

OhHondoGT
02-02-2016, 10:26 AM

Turnbuckles installed, just have to finish the water pickup.

V Drive cases polished and at Casale to be assembled.

2manymustangs
02-04-2016, 01:35 PM
:yourock:

glorydays
02-05-2016, 03:33 PM
Trying to attach this pic from Morgans BFF crash at Dayton,think this is you from a previous posting the kid in the green shirt is my son Todd Plate driver of Problem Child.

hyperpasta
02-07-2016, 02:33 PM
Thanks Art, us old guys have to show 'em we still have game! When are you going to update us on your build, haven't seen anything in a while?

Here's a couple of teasers.....they were taken during the mockup stages. I'm still figuring stuff out, some of it has changed while some parts are now finalized. You'd think you could just knock this stuff out, but that ain't so, if you want any type of accuracy. Of course rigging the hull/motor for some spray didn't help the final configuration either. :wtf:

OhHondoGT
02-07-2016, 05:26 PM
Trying to attach this pic from Morgans BFF crash at Dayton,think this is you from a previous posting the kid in the green shirt is my son Todd Plate driver of Problem Child.

Hello Mr. Plate. - I did take these pics back in the day, the kid next to Todd in the blue Ford hat is my younger brother. Do you guys still have that Passant flat you ran for a while back in the 90's?

OhHondoGT
02-07-2016, 05:35 PM
Here's a couple of teasers.....they were taken during the mockup stages. I'm still figuring stuff out, some of it has changed while some parts are now finalized. You'd think you could just knock this stuff out, but that ain't so, if you want any type of accuracy. Of course rigging the hull/motor for some spray didn't help the final configuration either. :wtf:

Really looks good Art. As I've said before, you do great work! Did you shorten the crankshaft to get rid of the spacer behind the balancer?

hyperpasta
02-08-2016, 04:45 PM
Really looks good Art. As I've said before, you do great work! Did you shorten the crankshaft to get rid of the spacer behind the balancer?

It's a stock crank length snout. The Nicson timing cover almost swallows the aluminum spacer, a tad does protrudes though.

Checkout the top picture and you can see the snout sticking out of the cover with the motor plate.

glorydays
02-09-2016, 04:26 AM
Todd sold it to a speed shop owner in Michigan.Great to see the workmanship on your Boat are you thinking of taking it to some races?

OhHondoGT
02-09-2016, 10:30 AM
Todd sold it to a speed shop owner in Michigan.Great to see the workmanship on your Boat are you thinking of taking it to some races?

Thank you for the compliment. We are probably going to run it at a few races for fun just to see if I can remember how to do it. If we make it to Wheatland maybe we'll see you around the Problem Child pit area?

glorydays
02-09-2016, 03:40 PM
Hope to see you at a race this year stop in the pits but be careful we might try to put you to work.

OhHondoGT
02-10-2016, 09:29 AM
Hope to see you at a race this year stop in the pits but be careful we might try to put you to work.

I'll make sure we stop by to say hello and I'll try to make sure we show up when the work is done and it's time to drink beer!
Tell Todd I said Hi if he remembers me.

jeff931
11-25-2016, 01:48 PM
Beautiful restoration work OhHondoGT!
are you finished? pics?

HDF
12-16-2016, 07:07 PM
updates?

OhHondoGT
12-23-2016, 11:01 AM
Hello all, sorry I haven't been on here in a while. I did get the boat in the water a few times finally, it ran pretty well for being all new and it didn't leak so I was happy. Here's a few pics6486464865

OhHondoGT
12-23-2016, 11:12 AM
A few more 648666486764868 Over the winter I'm adding a vacuum pump to the motor, getting the seats and scoop painted and I need to get a cover made for it.

K-034
12-29-2016, 01:31 PM
A few more 648666486764868 Over the winter I'm adding a vacuum pump to the motor, getting the seats and scoop painted and I need to get a cover made for it.

Boat came out beautiful, nice job, and congrats on putting together a really nice piece :thumbsUp::thumbsUp::thumbup:

OhHondoGT
01-03-2017, 09:18 AM
Boat came out beautiful, nice job, and congrats on putting together a really nice piece :thumbsUp::thumbsUp::thumbup:

Thank you. I've been following your build also, my dad raced back when the Padgett family was still racing so it's great to see that boat coming back to life - keep up the good work, it's a sharp piece!

2manymustangs
01-05-2017, 03:00 PM
well, how did your little ford mota run? :action-smiley-035:

OhHondoGT
01-06-2017, 08:36 AM
well, how did your little ford mota run? :action-smiley-035:

Hey 2MM how are things?

The Ford ran good, I think it should run mid - high 9's at the races. Wish I knew how to post a video so you could hear it?

Mrs.K034
01-06-2017, 03:09 PM
Hey 2MM how are things?

The Ford ran good, I think it should run mid - high 9's at the races. Wish I knew how to post a video so you could hear it?

Nice!! Are you posting from your phone or computer?

OhHondoGT
01-10-2017, 10:41 AM
Nice!! Are you posting from your phone or computer?

Thank you. I'm posting from my computer but if it's easier to load a video from my iphone I'm all ears.

OhHondoGT
01-10-2017, 10:42 AM
A few winter upgrades - added a vacuum pump, a shiny alternator and polished the bellhousing.

2manymustangs
01-10-2017, 05:26 PM
:thumb:

Mrs.K034
01-10-2017, 08:05 PM
Thank you. I'm posting from my computer but if it's easier to load a video from my iphone I'm all ears.

Looks amazing, gotta love the shiny stuff! Is your video on your phone or one your computer and what kind of phone do you have?

2manymustangs
01-12-2017, 06:02 AM
Hey 2MM how are things?

All is good here, just bracing ourself for a ice storm... :schreck:

Are you able to put your video up on YOUTUBE OR is it already on YOUTUBE?

OhHondoGT
06-15-2017, 10:11 AM
Hello everyone sorry I've been gone so long, I relocated to PA for a new job so I had a lot going on for a while. We did get the Hondo to a race in Kentucky a few weeks ago with the KDBA (great group of people) to see how she would do. First pass down the liquid quarter mile for me and the boat in 18 years was a 9.80 @ 104mph with a .006 reaction time - it was awesome! We changed props and made a few other adjustments to end up #2 qualifier in M/E with a 10.01 and a 10.04. At that point I was calling the weekend a success no matter what happened Sunday but damn if we didn't ended up winning the class - unreal! I know my pops was helping us from above to have such good luck the first time out in so long. A few pics from the weekend:

OhHondoGT
06-15-2017, 10:15 AM

Lifes Rough
06-20-2017, 07:18 PM
Thats great, Really happy for you

2manymustangs
06-28-2017, 02:04 PM
Hello everyone sorry I've been gone so long, I relocated to PA for a new job so I had a lot going on for a while. We did get the Hondo to a race in Kentucky a few weeks ago with the KDBA (great group of people) to see how she would do. First pass down the liquid quarter mile for me and the boat in 18 years was a 9.80 @ 104mph with a .006 reaction time - it was awesome! We changed props and made a few other adjustments to end up #2 qualifier in M/E with a 10.01 and a 10.04. At that point I was calling the weekend a success no matter what happened Sunday but damn if we didn't ended up winning the class - unreal! I know my pops was helping us from above to have such good luck the first time out in so long. A few pics from the weekend:

Outstanding, congrats :)

Vamodsquad
08-13-2019, 05:38 PM
Nice build. I enjoyed reading your thread !

Mod