PDA

View Full Version : 1 That Got Away

Eli
05-13-2014, 08:11 AM
I hear that term often…"The One That Got Away". It peaked my curiosity…Do you have one? What's your story?

ChumpChange
05-13-2014, 08:14 AM
Yup. Investing in a company.

The worst part is that I passed up on that company due to timing and different investment objectives at the time. I got the knowledge base and invested in a company a few months later and it turned out substantially different.

314joey
05-13-2014, 08:47 AM
I don't have one, I married her.

Eli
05-13-2014, 09:01 AM
I don't have one, I married her.

Although some things are completely outside of our control...I just don't see you as the type who let's things you want slip away 😉

Sent from my Bat Cave

Sharp shooter
05-13-2014, 09:37 AM
I hear that term often…"The One That Got Away". It peaked my curiosity…Do you have one? What's your story?

What about you? Usually the op goes first (answering the question). :)

2manymustangs
05-13-2014, 10:11 AM
One time at band camp....... Oppps, I can't tell that one....... :no:

When I look back at the multitude of vintage mustangs that I COULD/SHOULD have bought and my silly reasons that I passed on them... In that regard I have MANY "ones that got away"... Shelby GTs, Kcodes, Boss's, Mach1s...

A few years ago I purchased a gun collection that belonged to a "friends" father and there were SEVERAL very very valuble guns in the collection... For the entry fee of $4,500.00 I wasn't getting hurt at all AND the guns I liked the most were in pristine (new in box) condition... I tried to reason with the "friend" and told him NOT to sell the collection because either he or his brothers OR his son would someday want something as a keepsake...

After a few months passed and I became attached to the PRIZE Brownings that were now in my collection the "friend" called me and said he wanted to purchase the bla bla bla .223 gun in the collection, i told him it wasn't available and that I had a trade to a friend on that piece, he got very pissed and started MFing me and after stewing on the situation for a week or so I told him "your taking ALL of these back and I'm getting my $4500 plus compensation for my labor/time/research/extensive cleaning"... Keep in mind that I tried to reason with the guy for at least one month prior to our reaching a price for the 17 gun collection (all long guns, half collectable Brownings, some with very high end glass on top)...

More words were exchanged and I ended up getting all of my $$$ back minus $450 for a Ruger falling block that was sold to a friend...

After thinking about the prize Browning falling blocks that I lost, the pristine Belgian made 22auto, the VERY early sweet 16 and a few other Brownings I went back to the guy about 1 1/2 years later and they were gone... He and I had reconciled and moved on... I found out that he had traded the guns plus cash for a BMW...

The falling blocks, the 22 auto, the sweet 16... and most of all, the PRE64 model 70 Winchester (very pricey gun) were all gone, never to be recoverd...

The ONES that got away... current value of that collection is about three times the $4,500.00 that I paid for them IF I had played along and kept my cool after being MFd by the guy...

Stainless
05-13-2014, 10:29 AM
Nice collection of long guns! What caliber was the pre '64?

CH3NO2

Ziggy
05-13-2014, 10:42 AM
Julie Brown in the 5th grade. :rolleyes:

Sent by tapatalk with good intentions

ChumpChange
05-13-2014, 10:45 AM
Julie Brown in the 5th grade. :rolleyes:

Sent by tapatalk with good intentions

She didn't get away. Everybody got a piece of her back then!

djunkie
05-13-2014, 10:50 AM
There's been a few cars that I passed up on that I shouldn't have.

Eli
05-13-2014, 11:37 AM
Yup. Investing in a company.

The worst part is that I passed up on that company due to timing and different investment objectives at the time. I got the knowledge base and invested in a company a few months later and it turned out substantially different.

One time at band camp....... Oppps, I can't tell that one....... :no:

When I look back at the multitude of vintage mustangs that I COULD/SHOULD have bought and my silly reasons that I passed on them... In that regard I have MANY "ones that got away"... Shelby GTs, Kcodes, Boss's, Mach1s...

A few years ago I purchased a gun collection that belonged to a "friends" father and there were SEVERAL very very valuble guns in the collection... For the entry fee of $4,500.00 I wasn't getting hurt at all AND the guns I liked the most were in pristine (new in box) condition... I tried to reason with the "friend" and told him NOT to sell the collection because either he or his brothers OR his son would someday want something as a keepsake...

After a few months passed and I became attached to the PRIZE Brownings that were now in my collection the "friend" called me and said he wanted to purchase the bla bla bla .223 gun in the collection, i told him it wasn't available and that I had a trade to a friend on that piece, he got very pissed and started MFing me and after stewing on the situation for a week or so I told him "your taking ALL of these back and I'm getting my $4500 plus compensation for my labor/time/research/extensive cleaning"... Keep in mind that I tried to reason with the guy for at least one month prior to our reaching a price for the 17 gun collection (all long guns, half collectable Brownings, some with very high end glass on top)...

More words were exchanged and I ended up getting all of my $$$ back minus $450 for a Ruger falling block that was sold to a friend...

After thinking about the prize Browning falling blocks that I lost, the pristine Belgian made 22auto, the VERY early sweet 16 and a few other Brownings I went back to the guy about 1 1/2 years later and they were gone... He and I had reconciled and moved on... I found out that he had traded the guns plus cash for a BMW...

The falling blocks, the 22 auto, the sweet 16... and most of all, the PRE64 model 70 Winchester (very pricey gun) were all gone, never to be recoverd...

The ONES that got away... current value of that collection is about three times the $4,500.00 that I paid for them IF I had played along and kept my cool after being MFd by the guy...

There's been a few cars that I passed up on that I shouldn't have.

REALLY??? You guys took this as what THING got away? You obviously have never heard or used the expression :rolleyes:headscratch:

2manymustangs
05-13-2014, 12:15 PM
Nice collection of long guns! What caliber was the pre '64?

CH3NO2

SN - 514901-1961yr as far as I can figure and it was in .243 win... Gone now... all of them are gone... I had to dig out the excel where I logged all of the SNs for my research... :bangmyhead: This was a case of winning the battle but LOOSING the war... :(

Did I mention I sold ALL of my guns to a guy name Joe at the gun show??? :) I have none so to the crooks, don't bother, I have none... :)

314joey
05-13-2014, 12:51 PM
Although some things are completely outside of our control...I just don't see you as the type who let's things you want slip away 😉

Sent from my Bat Cave

You've got me pretty much got me figured out, don't you Eli.

Stainless
05-13-2014, 01:46 PM
SN - 514901-1961yr as far as I can figure and it was in .243 win... Gone now... all of them are gone... I had to dig out the excel where I logged all of the SNs for my research... :bangmyhead: This was a case of winning the battle but LOOSING the war... :(

Did I mention I sold ALL of my guns to a guy name Joe at the gun show??? :) I have none so to the crooks, don't bother, I have none... :)

I had a .264 WM,(not pre '64) that I shot the barrel out of. Great 400+ yd rifle. I had to resist the temptation to shoot deer across canyons in rough terrain for the sake of packing them out.

Haha, on your second paragraph. :D

CH3NO2

djunkie
05-13-2014, 01:58 PM
REALLY??? You guys took this as what THING got away? You obviously have never heard or used the expression :rolleyes:headscratch:

Do you think us guys only think about girls or something? ;)
There was this one girl that I let get away. Problem was I had slept with her sister before her so I felt things may have been a little awkward between us once she found out. Lol

Eli
05-13-2014, 02:03 PM
What about you? Usually the op goes first (answering the question). :)

I'm not sure I have one yet…but the closest thing may be this guy I met during a work trip to New York. He had an adorable smile, one that is infectious. Great body…oh those abs were so chiseled. He is a triathlete, so we worked out together in the mornings before work. Very smart, which is something that I love in a man. Sweet as pie. He could gather a crowd with just a few smiles. Loves wine, dancing…we have a lot in common. Well he lives in Maryland and I live on the other side of the country…the "wrong" side as he would refer to it. I do get a text from him about every 2-3 months asking how I am and reminding me that I'm the one that got away. At the time, if he would've asked me to move to Maryland, I would've driven the Uhaul east instead of South to San Diego.

Eli
05-13-2014, 02:03 PM
Do you think us guys only think about girls or something? ;)
There was this one girl that I let get away. Problem was I had slept with her sister before her so I felt things may have been a little awkward between us once she found out. Lol

Not at all. I'm under the impression you only think about guns and cars. :AngryFinger_7WSKJO:

djunkie
05-13-2014, 02:11 PM
Not at all. I'm under the impression you only think about guns and cars. :AngryFinger_7WSKJO:

No. That's just what I talk about all the time. :D

2manymustangs
05-13-2014, 02:54 PM
No. That's just what I talk about all the time. :D

:LMAOsmiley:

Sharp shooter
05-13-2014, 06:47 PM
I'm not sure I have one yet…but the closest thing may be this guy I met during a work trip to New York. He had an adorable smile, one that is infectious. Great body…oh those abs were so chiseled. He is a triathlete, so we worked out together in the mornings before work. Very smart, which is something that I love in a man. Sweet as pie. He could gather a crowd with just a few smiles. Loves wine, dancing…we have a lot in common. Well he lives in Maryland and I live on the other side of the country…the "wrong" side as he would refer to it. I do get a text from him about every 2-3 months asking how I am and reminding me that I'm the one that got away. At the time, if he would've asked me to move to Maryland, I would've driven the Uhaul east instead of South to San Diego.

Something is wrong here.... He still sends texts and compliments so what part of the picture is missing?

Eli
05-13-2014, 08:26 PM
Something is wrong here.... He still sends texts and compliments so what part of the picture is missing?

We live 2200 miles apart.

Sent from my Bat Cave

Mrs.K034
05-13-2014, 10:11 PM
My "one that got away" is the one I'm with now.. Eli, you already know the story.. But, for those of you that don't, Chris and I were broken up for three years since we started dating nine years ago. And I came back, well, it will be five years ago in July.. But I really believe in the whole "if you are meant to be, let them go and they will return".. May not happen in "real life" all the time, and nothing is perfect... But we knew what we needed and what we wanted, and it just worked out... Sometimes it's just waiting it out to get what you want.

Eli
05-14-2014, 05:43 AM
My "one that got away" is the one I'm with now.. Eli, you already know the story.. But, for those of you that don't, Chris and I were broken up for three years since we started dating nine years ago. And I came back, well, it will be five years ago in July.. But I really believe in the whole "if you are meant to be, let them go and they will return".. May not happen in "real life" all the time, and nothing is perfect... But we knew what we needed and what we wanted, and it just worked out... Sometimes it's just waiting it out to get what you want.

Yea I love your story! It's a true love kind.

Sent from my Bat Cave

BrenMoto
05-14-2014, 06:24 AM
When I was married back in the late 80's early 90's I invested in a little company called Apple at $21 dollars a share when we divorced in 2000 I had to sell all the stocks because he wanted his share. I never reinvested my half of the sale. My accountant recently told me had we kept the money in the Apple stock I would be a millionaire.

Sent from this purdy mouth

Eli
05-14-2014, 06:27 AM
When I was married back in the late 80's early 90's I invested in a little company called Apple at $21 dollars a share when we divorced in 2000 I had to sell all the stocks because he wanted his share. I never reinvested my half of the sale. My accountant recently told me had we kept the money in the Apple stock I would be a millionaire.

Ouch!! That hurt!

Sent from my Bat Cave

Stainless
05-14-2014, 06:30 AM

Wow, I've heard other stories of people not sticking with Apple as well. I think there stock regularly trades 500-600ish/share.

CH3NO2

Eli
05-14-2014, 06:43 AM
Wow, I've heard other stories of people not sticking with Apple as well. I think there stock regularly trades 500-600ish/share.

CH3NO2

Salt in your wound anyone ;) lol

Sent from my Bat Cave

Stainless
05-14-2014, 06:53 AM
Salt in your wound anyone ;) lol

Sent from my Bat Cave

Yea, I was right, Sorry Bren.
http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/05/14/3ahuhahu.jpg

CH3NO2

Eli
05-14-2014, 06:54 AM