PDA

View Full Version : Removing battery acid in aluminum

No Butt No Putt
05-02-2014, 12:35 PM
I picked up this billet battery tray that had blue powder coat on it. I removed the powder coat with aircraft paint remover, but it has some battery acid build up on it. Does anyone know how to remove it? It appears to be on top of the polish and not eating away or into the aluminum. Any help would be great. Thanks guys. 398063980739808

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

gn7
05-02-2014, 12:53 PM
I picked up this billet battery tray that had blue powder coat on it. I removed the powder coat with aircraft paint remover, but it has some battery acid build up on it. Does anyone know how to remove it? It appears to be on top of the polish and not eating away or into the aluminum. Any help would be great. Thanks guys. 398063980739808

Get it damp and sprinkle baking soda on it and smear it around and let it set for a few minutes. This will neutralize the acid. Then you can do what ever you like to it. Polish back, paint, powder coat, what ever. But you need to neutralize the acid first.

No Butt No Putt
05-02-2014, 12:56 PM
Get it damp and sprinkle baking soda on it and smear it around and let it set for a few minutes. This will neutralize the acid. Then you can do what ever you like to it. Polish back, paint, powder coat, what ever. But you need to neutralize the acid first.

After it's neutralized I can just polish over the corroded parts? It will polish back out?

Sharp shooter
05-02-2014, 01:04 PM
After it's neutralized I can just polish over the corroded parts? It will polish back out?

That's probably going to require more than just hitting it once with mothers.

No Butt No Putt
05-02-2014, 01:04 PM
That's probably going to require more than just hitting it once with mothers.

I have a polishing wheel and compounds.

gn7
05-02-2014, 01:06 PM
I have a polishing wheel and compounds.

Yeah, it will polish back

No Butt No Putt
05-02-2014, 01:06 PM
Cool. Thanks!

Brian
05-02-2014, 01:33 PM
Just hit it on the wheel, but be careful to "blend it" otherwise you will have a low spot right there. If the wheel isn't cutting it, then it might need to be belt sanded and re done.

No Butt No Putt
05-02-2014, 02:47 PM
Do you guys know anyone in San Diego, pacific beach area that can polish it? Mines not cutting it.

Stainless
05-02-2014, 03:01 PM
Hey NBNP, did you go to BBSP last month? Who won the rubber chicken this year?

CH3NO2

Brian
05-02-2014, 03:41 PM
Do you guys know anyone in San Diego, pacific beach area that can polish it? Mines not cutting it.

Not, but you should be able to find a shop to do it for about $20. Google it.

GotHalos
05-02-2014, 03:47 PM
Try calling WOT Marine in Carslbad?

No Butt No Putt
05-02-2014, 06:06 PM

CH3NO2

No I didn't.

No Butt No Putt
05-02-2014, 06:07 PM
Try calling WOT Marine in Carslbad?

Will do. Thank you.

B&D Marine
05-03-2014, 11:37 AM

CH3NO2

The rubber chicken went home with Rick Gilman and his quarter shot. Might have been a different result if we hadn't sheared the bottom blower pulley bolts after this pass.... Yes Bob, I know. LOL We were out of time and hoping it would make it through the weekend before getting rid of the dampner and running a drive hub.
This was the first time in the water and the first full pass on the boat.

http://youtu.be/dmNL2zk1tDc