PDA

View Full Version : 2014 Catalina Ski Race Connections

Eli
04-30-2014, 08:43 AM
I've had a few people ask me to help them find drivers, boats, skiers, observers and navigators. I've been able to make a few connections, but now I am going to utilize the big bad website world of BOATING!

Currently, I am trying to help friends find the following: I will update this post as necessary 4/30/14.

1. Skier from Catalina to Long Beach, we have one going out need one to come back.
2. Boat, driver and navigator preferably a 36-42 foot V bottom for a very experienced skier.

Thank you for your help and if you need/want to make a ski race connection, please feel free to post here or PM me and I will do it for you. This is a great event!

redant
04-30-2014, 08:59 AM
This race can be hard to get a boat, driver and observer for. We have lots of great skiers from other countries that come over for this race. Another problem for securing a good crew, everyone is out there at the same time. I see this race as being ski racing version of the Daytona 500. Most famous race and so much history. If you don't ski, the party on shore is off the hook.

rivergames
04-30-2014, 09:08 AM
I have always wanted to ski that race. One day I'll do it :thumbup:

Eli
04-30-2014, 10:26 AM
I have always wanted to ski that race. One day I'll do it :thumbup:

What are you waiting for? Life's too short for tomorrows!

Sent from my Bat Cave

rivergames
04-30-2014, 10:29 AM
What are you waiting for? Life's too short for tomorrows!

Sent from my Bat Cave

To build up my endurance strength lol

Eli
04-30-2014, 10:31 AM
To build up my endurance strength lol

You have time. Get out there and build! That would be awesome to root you on! Maybe start with one direction, coming back from Catalina?

Sent from my Bat Cave

rivergames
04-30-2014, 10:33 AM
You have time. Get out there and build! That would be awesome to root you on! Maybe start with one direction, coming back from Catalina?

Sent from my Bat Cave

Ahhh he'll no. If I'm doing it, in going the distance!

Sent from my HTC6500LVW using Tapatalk

Eli
04-30-2014, 10:35 AM

Then start building endurance. You can do it between now and July.

Sent from my Bat Cave

tpltrbl303
04-30-2014, 11:13 AM
I've skied it 12 times and there is no better training that time on a ski.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Eli
04-30-2014, 11:14 AM
I've skied it 12 times and there is no better training that time on a ski.

Do you mean actually ski time? How much ski time/miles would you recommend to get fully prepared? How many ocean training hours vs lake?

Sent from my Bat Cave

obnoxious001
04-30-2014, 01:26 PM
Do you mean actually ski time? How much ski time/miles would you recommend to get fully prepared? How many ocean training hours vs lake?

Sent from my Bat Cave

I've had a few people ask me to help them find drivers, boats, skiers, observers and navigators. I've been able to make a few connections, but now I am going to utilize the big bad website world of BOATING!

Currently, I am trying to help friends find the following: I will update this post as necessary 4/30/14.

1. Skier from Catalina to Long Beach, we have one going out need one to come back.
2. Boat, driver and navigator preferably a 36-42 foot V bottom for a very experienced skier.

Thank you for your help and if you need/want to make a ski race connection, please feel free to post here or PM me and I will do it for you. This is a great event!

The top skiers make many, many trips on the actual course to the island and back, probably more with training boats, short skis and short ropes instead of spending the money it takes to run the race boat every time. Lake skiing is nothing like skiing in the ocean, both physically and mentally. Besides the the obvious physical conditioning and endurance, it requires constant mental alertness during the entire race, since waves and rollers come from all directions, and in all sizes. If the weather is clear and you can see the island when you start, it seems like it takes forever to get there. If it's foggy, you keep wondering if you are on the right course, and when will you ever spot the darn island.

I have driven and observed in the race a bunch of times, and have driven and observed in many, many more practice runs, including one time when we found the boat filling with water about 20 miles out, and the bilge pump would not work when switched on, and of course no phone or radios, or even a proper bailing bucket. I have also skied to the island a couple of times on training runs.

One of the best deals in connecting teams may be to contact someone from the Long Beach Boat and Ski Club that puts on the race. Another suggestion might be to at least mention the skier's average or best time if you don't feel it's appropriate to put his or her name, but in many cases the name would help. Who is looking to split the run, my skier from last year might be happier only going half the distance?

Eli
04-30-2014, 01:36 PM
The top skiers make many, many trips on the actual course to the island and back, probably more with training boats, short skis and short ropes instead of spending the money it takes to run the race boat every time. Lake skiing is nothing like skiing in the ocean, both physically and mentally. Besides the the obvious physical conditioning and endurance, it requires constant mental alertness during the entire race, since waves and rollers come from all directions, and in all sizes. If the weather is clear and you can see the island when you start, it seems like it takes forever to get there. If it's foggy, you keep wondering if you are on the right course, and when will you ever spot the darn island.

I have driven and observed in the race a bunch of times, and have driven and observed in many, many more practice runs, including one time when we found the boat filling with water about 20 miles out, and the bilge pump would not work when switched on, and of course no phone or radios, or even a proper bailing bucket. I have also skied to the island a couple of times on training runs.

One of the best deals in connecting teams may be to contact someone from the Long Beach Boat and Ski Club that puts on the race. Another suggestion might be to at least mention the skier's average or best time if you don't feel it's appropriate to put his or her name, but in many cases the name would help. Who is looking to split the run, my skier from last year might be happier only going half the distance?

Lots of great information.

Bobby Rojas is driving and JT wants to ski to Catalina.

Brian Samaniego is looking for the boat, driver, navigator.

Sent from my Bat Cave

tpltrbl303
04-30-2014, 01:43 PM

Sent from my Bat Cave

By the time of the race each year I'd have 4-5 runs to the island and back, behind my schiada 20. As well as skiing every day( it helped to work at a ski school all summer) and I raced the entire sanction season in both circles and marathons.

Needless to say I was still beat up and tired.

djunkie
04-30-2014, 03:21 PM

Let's go a little old school. I'll pull you with my boat. Lol

rivergames
04-30-2014, 03:24 PM
Let's go a little old school. I'll pull you with my boat. Lol

I better install a cooler that holds a 12 pack on the front of my ski for that 4 hour ski ride:biggrin:

djunkie
04-30-2014, 03:26 PM
I better install a cooler that holds a 12 pack on the front of my ski for that 4 hour ski ride:biggrin:

It's ok. We'll just toss them back to you.

rivergames
04-30-2014, 03:34 PM
It's ok. We'll just toss them back to you.

Done! That would be pretty fun as an observer in your boat to lay in the open boat facing backwards:action-smiley-035:

djunkie
04-30-2014, 03:35 PM
Done! That would be pretty fun as an observer in your boat to lay in the open boat facing backwards:action-smiley-035:

Oh we'd have like 10 people in it. Might as well make a party out of it.

Eli
04-30-2014, 03:54 PM
Oh we'd have like 10 people in it. Might as well make a party out of it.

I'm inviting myself to this party!

Sent from my Bat Cave

Ziggy
04-30-2014, 04:55 PM
I'm inviting myself to this party!

Sent from my Bat Cave
Is this an Eli #3 habit?:)

Sent by tapatalk with good intentions

Eli
04-30-2014, 05:00 PM
Is this an Eli #3 habit?:)

I rarely invite myself, but the Party Girl can't miss this one ;)

Sent from my Bat Cave

Ziggy
04-30-2014, 05:02 PM
I rarely invite myself, but the Party Girl can't miss this one ;)

Sent from my Bat Cave

#3..party girl,.......,.....Noted. ;)

Eli
04-30-2014, 05:02 PM
#3..party girl,.......,.....Noted. ;)

No!!! Not the "N" word!

Sent from my Bat Cave

Ziggy
04-30-2014, 05:04 PM
No!!! Not the "N" word!

Sent from my Bat Cave

Would sidebar be more apropos? :)

obnoxious001
04-30-2014, 06:30 PM

That would be a negatory,, would need to be strapped in to not fly out of the boat from a reclining position.

Eli
05-14-2014, 08:12 AM
Bump...

skiracr
05-14-2014, 01:07 PM
Hello,

I am Brian Samaniego and I am the Skier looking for a boat and driver. First off, I want to say thank you to Eli for stepping up and offering to help me out and starting this thread. I really apreciate it. She asked me to post some stuff about me so here we go...I'm 31 and live in Fullerton

I started Ski Racing at the 2008 Us Open in San Diego.
- Skied Novice and got an overall 2nd for the weekend and
- Skied Hands out front and also got 2nd for the weekend.
I have since placed or won in every race I have skied in at the U.S. Opens

I went into the 2009 season Skiing the Sr. Men (25-35men) age class and have been skiing that class ever since (races are 45-50min in duration).
- I have been and held the high point skier for that class since 2009.

My Catalina Ski race experience started in 2009 and have been skiing the over and back class. My best time coming back from the Island has been right at about the
30min mark.
-2013 - 3rd in class
-2012 - 2nd in class
-2011 - was sick and only observed
-2010 - 3rd
-2009 - 2nd

The Over and Back class is fun but I really want to do the whole race this year. I want to ski the Sr. Men class, which historically, has had about 4 skiers in the class in the last 5 years. My goal is to have a time of 1 hr 15min or less and be on the podium for trophy's. I have been doing training runs either to the Island or back, and will start doing full runs hopefully this weekend behind a 21' boat. I am physically and mentally fit and will give 110%.

My Observer and I will take care of Entry fees and help with or pay fuel as well.

So if anyone is interested, Let's Go Race!!!

Thank you

Eli
05-14-2014, 01:37 PM
Hello,

I am Brian Samaniego and I am the Skier looking for a boat and driver. First off, I want to say thank you to Eli for stepping up and offering to help me out and starting this thread. I really apreciate it. She asked me to post some stuff about me so here we go...I'm 31 and live in Fullerton

I started Ski Racing at the 2008 Us Open in San Diego.
- Skied Novice and got an overall 2nd for the weekend and
- Skied Hands out front and also got 2nd for the weekend.
I have since placed or won in every race I have skied in at the U.S. Opens

I went into the 2009 season Skiing the Sr. Men (25-35men) age class and have been skiing that class ever since (races are 45-50min in duration).
- I have been and held the high point skier for that class since 2009.

My Catalina Ski race experience started in 2009 and have been skiing the over and back class. My best time coming back from the Island has been right at about the
30min mark.
-2013 - 3rd in class
-2012 - 2nd in class
-2011 - was sick and only observed
-2010 - 3rd
-2009 - 2nd

The Over and Back class is fun but I really want to do the whole race this year. I want to ski the Sr. Men class, which historically, has had about 4 skiers in the class in the last 5 years. My goal is to have a time of 1 hr 15min or less and be on the podium for trophy's. I have been doing training runs either to the Island or back, and will start doing full runs hopefully this weekend behind a 21' boat. I am physically and mentally fit and will give 110%.

My Observer and I will take care of Entry fees and help with or pay fuel as well.

So if anyone is interested, Let's Go Race!!!

Thank you

You're very welcome!

You're such an accomplished skier. That's a very impressive career. I'm going to keep putting the word out for you and guide people to your post for your impeccable stats!

Good luck on your first full ski run to and from Catalina this weekend!

Sent from my Bat Cave

crazyhippy
05-21-2014, 02:52 AM
Hehehe

Stainless
05-21-2014, 05:24 AM
Hehehe

Is that a Robin from Batman costume?

CH3NO2

crazyhippy
05-21-2014, 06:50 AM
Mr Incredible from "The Incredibles"

Eli
06-03-2014, 08:51 AM
Bump...

riverrunner1984
06-03-2014, 10:15 AM
Bump...

Do you have dates for this one?

Eli
06-03-2014, 10:16 AM
Do you have dates for this one?

July 19, 2014

Sent from my Bat Cave

TheKeysLife
06-04-2014, 08:54 AM
If I hear anything i will let you know!!

Eli
06-04-2014, 09:03 AM
If I hear anything i will let you know!!

Thank you!

Sent from my Bat Cave

hpboats83
06-04-2014, 06:28 PM
I've often thought about trying to tow people behind my boat but it worries me too much that a skier might have a bad accident for some reason and whether it was my fault or not I would know that somebody was hurt/killed behind my boat.

obnoxious001
06-05-2014, 12:13 AM
I've often thought about trying to tow people behind my boat but it worries me too much that a skier might have a bad accident for some reason and whether it was my fault or not I would know that somebody was hurt/killed behind my boat.

This is not the type of race where skiers get killed. The top (read that the fastest) skiers will usually only go with drivers they know, or are referred to if they are coming from out of the country. Usually you might start off pulling someone who won't be going as fast as your boat will run, and if the skier has a good observer in the boat, communications will keep the driver at a speed the skier is comfortable with.

If you are really interested in running the race, you will want to connect up with a skier (or skiers depending on class) and do one or two practice runs in advance so you can learn what all goes on. I have been watching and later participating in the race since I was a kid. I have driven and observed for a number of skiers. It's an interesting experience, conditions vary so much from one trip to another. You may see various forms of marine life, have to deal with Catalina Express boat wakes,, sometimes huge ships, fishermen in the horseshoe kelp beds area, etc. Last year I had another race boat cut across my bow twice, when I was following a direct path to the turn boat, and then again after his skier fell he came past again on the way back from the island,, true rookie moves, but the observer(who I knew) in the boat should have known better, especially with me waving him off.

hpboats83
06-05-2014, 01:55 PM
This is not the type of race where skiers get killed. The top (read that the fastest) skiers will usually only go with drivers they know, or are referred to if they are coming from out of the country. Usually you might start off pulling someone who won't be going as fast as your boat will run, and if the skier has a good observer in the boat, communications will keep the driver at a speed the skier is comfortable with.

If you are really interested in running the race, you will want to connect up with a skier (or skiers depending on class) and do one or two practice runs in advance so you can learn what all goes on. I have been watching and later participating in the race since I was a kid. I have driven and observed for a number of skiers. It's an interesting experience, conditions vary so much from one trip to another. You may see various forms of marine life, have to deal with Catalina Express boat wakes,, sometimes huge ships, fishermen in the horseshoe kelp beds area, etc. Last year I had another race boat cut across my bow twice, when I was following a direct path to the turn boat, and then again after his skier fell he came past again on the way back from the island,, true rookie moves, but the observer(who I knew) in the boat should have known better, especially with me waving him off.

Makes me just think of the accident that the Herbst boys had on lake Mead.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk

BadFish
06-11-2014, 01:44 PM
Still looking for a second skier to ski back from Catalina in the over and back class.
Thanks

Eli
06-11-2014, 01:45 PM
Still looking for a second skier to ski back from Catalina in the over and back class.
Thanks

Are you skiing there?

Sent from my Bat Cave

BadFish
06-11-2014, 01:51 PM
Are you skiing there?

Sent from my Bat Cave

Yeah. I would prefer to ski there vs back.
Thanks for starting this thread.

Eli
06-11-2014, 01:53 PM
Yeah. I would prefer to ski there vs back.
Thanks for starting this thread.

You're welcome. Would you mind telling us your experience level?

Sent from my Bat Cave

ColeBoater
06-11-2014, 02:28 PM
Thanks

I would consider skiing back. I am 31 and in excellent shape (4 day a week gym rat and super healthy eater guy). Been on a single since I was 8 years old. Never raced, but how hard can going fast behind a boat in the ocean be??!!

crazyhippy
06-11-2014, 07:26 PM
I would consider skiing back. I am 31 and in excellent shape (4 day a week gym rat and super healthy eater guy). Been on a single since I was 8 years old. Never raced, but how hard can going fast behind a boat in the ocean be??!!

Hahahahaha

I hurt more the day after my first Catalina, than after my first marathon...

This is not a fast race (well, not for normal people, the elite guys are flying), it is an endurance race. 45-55mph would be very competitive, a 65mph average will be in the top 10 overall.

Please, don't take this as a negative, or as an attack. Ski racing as a whole is one of the coolest things I've ever done, and Catalina is an experience for sure. It is NOT easy!

Eli
06-11-2014, 09:18 PM

Hahahahaha

I hurt more the day after my first Catalina, than after my first marathon...

This is not a fast race (well, not for normal people, the elite guys are flying), it is an endurance race. 45-55mph would be very competitive, a 65mph average will be in the top 10 overall.

Please, don't take this as a negative, or as an attack. Ski racing as a whole is one of the coolest things I've ever done, and Catalina is an experience for sure. It is NOT easy!

If he starts now, does he have enough time to build up the endurance?

Sent from my Bat Cave

crazyhippy
06-11-2014, 09:33 PM
In a month? I suppose it would depend on his aerobic conditioning now...

No more than a 10% increase/week, means would have to be able to ride 30-40 minutes at a decent clip on a bike today to be ready to go one way.

And needs to get on a BIG ski right now. They do not ski like anything else. They don't turn like normal, don't handle rough water like normal, don't start like normal...The first time you drop off the back of a swell is rather eye opening. Not real hard impact, just a long time trying to balance on nothing, and need to have the ski square under you when you touch down... lather rinse repeat 30 more times.

Oh and the last 4 miles get rougher from bounce back off the sea wall!

Never any real superhero stuff, just lots and lots of little fights. The mental game can be tough too. If it is foggy, you lose all track of time/distance. If it is clear, land never seems to get closer. A brief moment of inattention, and you get a refreshing bath...

Still sound like fun?

crazyhippy
06-11-2014, 09:41 PM

Sent from my Bat Cave

Ask your surfing/ photography buddies about this guy...

Howdy Mr. Badfish! Long time no see.

Eli
06-12-2014, 07:25 AM
Ask your surfing/ photography buddies about this guy...

Howdy Mr. Badfish! Long time no see.

About which guy?

Sent from my Bat Cave

crazyhippy
06-12-2014, 07:31 AM
About which guy?

Sent from my Bat Cave

Badfish...

Eli
06-12-2014, 07:32 AM
Badfish...

I've met him and watched him ski.

Sent from my Bat Cave

ColeBoater
06-12-2014, 09:21 AM

No more than a 10% increase/week, means would have to be able to ride 30-40 minutes at a decent clip on a bike today to be ready to go one way.

And needs to get on a BIG ski right now. They do not ski like anything else. They don't turn like normal, don't handle rough water like normal, don't start like normal...The first time you drop off the back of a swell is rather eye opening. Not real hard impact, just a long time trying to balance on nothing, and need to have the ski square under you when you touch down... lather rinse repeat 30 more times.

Never any real superhero stuff, just lots and lots of little fights. The mental game can be tough too. If it is foggy, you lose all track of time/distance. If it is clear, land never seems to get closer. A brief moment of inattention, and you get a refreshing bath...

Still sound like fun?

I ride 10 miles on a bike every time I am at the gym (4 days a week). On top of that, I can run a 6:45 mile and am barely winded. I have the endurance, in fact I could go do a half Iron Man right now if I wanted to. You are right about the skiing aspect though. I definitely don't know what to expect on a big ski in the ocean and it would be challenging both physically and mentally, so I don't discount that. However, with that being said.......I would be ready for the challenge and I never back down from anything like this. I love pushing my physical and mental capabilities to the limit so that is why I want to do this. I did a Tough Mudder recently and thought it was weak.....lol.

Eli
06-12-2014, 09:25 AM
I ride 10 miles on a bike every time I am at the gym (4 days a week). On top of that, I can run a 6:45 mile and am barely winded. I have the endurance, in fact I could go do a half Iron Man right now if I wanted to. You are right about the skiing aspect though. I definitely don't know what to expect on a big ski in the ocean and it would be challenging both physically and mentally, so I don't discount that. However, with that being said.......I would be ready for the challenge and I never back down from anything like this. I love pushing my physical and mental capabilities to the limit so that is why I want to do this. I did a Tough Mudder recently and thought it was weak.....lol.

I love your attitude. You respect the difficulty of the sport yet you're up for the challenge.

Sent from my Bat Cave

riverrunner1984
06-12-2014, 09:34 AM

I did the tough mudder last year in Vail Lake. Though it was fun but def tough for me.
Electricity was the worse for me, I have metal in my body and a lil heart issue so the first time it hit me, I thought I was going to die. I passed the other electricity obstacles after that.
Oh yah, the big container filled with ice water sucked also lol.

Anyways, back on subject. Think it would be cool for you to try it and going in cold, never doing it before. Would def make a good story!

ColeBoater
06-12-2014, 09:38 AM
I did the tough mudder last year in Vail Lake. Though it was fun but def tough for me.
Electricity was the worse for me, I have metal in my body and a lil heart issue so the first time it hit me, I thought I was going to die. I passed the other electricity obstacles after that.
Oh yah, the big container filled with ice water sucked also lol.

Anyways, back on subject. Think it would be cool for you to try it and going in cold, never doing it before. Would def make a good story!

I did the Vail Lake one to last year. I like running them. I definitely want to try it, I have been talking about it since last year. I guess I should probably start by actually buying some of the required equipment since I don't own a big ski.

riverrunner1984
06-12-2014, 09:42 AM
I did the Vail Lake one to last year. I like running them. I definitely want to try it, I have been talking about it since last year. I guess I should probably start by actually buying some of the required equipment since I don't own a big ski.

The worse part of the tough mudder was getting there first thing in the morning ( I did it in Feb) and it was 27 degrees outside! So damn cold lol

I say do it...Maybe Eli can make you up a Hotboat.com vest or whatever they wear when they are racing like that. Or at least a hotboat.com sticker on the helmet lol.

BadFish
06-12-2014, 10:56 AM

Sent from my Bat Cave

As far as ski racing goes, I ski in the Men's Novice class for both circles and in the Mini Marathon (26 mile) I average 70 to 75mph on lake or river course, but Catalina is a whole different beast as far as speed, and I have only attempted that race once so far. I made it to the island, around the turn and about 1/4 of the way back and stepped off, and tried to get up again, but was so exhausted there was no way, and that is why I am doing the over and back this year.
Also looking for any water time lake or ocean, so if anybody needs more people on the boat for a practice session let me know.

Thanks

BadFish
06-12-2014, 11:20 AM

Still sound like fun?

Hey Mr. CrazyHippy, yes long time no see. Will; we see ya at Catalina this year?
Yes this race (even though I have only done it once) is like no other both mentally and physically. I can ski the Mini (26) miles and then ski in a circle race, then play ski after the races that day, but even half way to the turn I was already feeling beat. On the mental note, about 3/4 way to the turn the island looks a few minutes away, ya ski for a while longer, look up to see the island, and think you should be at the turn, and the island looks like it did the last 5 times you looked. Last night I was informed I may have a return skier that is coming over from Australia to do the race, I should know for sure in the next day or two. If that falls through I am open to anybody that wants to race, its a great event and my repect goes out to anybody that wants to even try.

Eli
06-12-2014, 11:49 AM
As far as ski racing goes, I ski in the Men's Novice class for both circles and in the Mini Marathon (26 mile) I average 70 to 75mph on lake or river course, but Catalina is a whole different beast as far as speed, and I have only attempted that race once so far. I made it to the island, around the turn and about 1/4 of the way back and stepped off, and tried to get up again, but was so exhausted there was no way, and that is why I am doing the over and back this year.
Also looking for any water time lake or ocean, so if anybody needs more people on the boat for a practice session let me know.

Thanks

Have you called Bobby to see if he's going out on the water? I know the guys at WOTM go out all the time you should hit them up.

Sent from my Bat Cave

LB247XS
06-12-2014, 01:20 PM
Badfish...

This is J.T. (badfish) you're talking about right?.He is Darren's (OC photographics)son

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk

Eli
06-12-2014, 01:22 PM
This is J.T. (badfish) you're talking about right?.He is Darren's (OC photographics)son

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk

Yea lol

Sent from my Bat Cave