PDA

View Full Version : RV Satellite TV?

Stainless
04-03-2014, 05:01 PM
What satellite provider are you using in your RV? I have Direct TV in home but it seems the satellite receivers for RV's lean toward Dish Network. I plan to take one of the boxes from home on trips. I'm out of contract and can go either way, anyone have insight?

CH3NO2

niceguyeddie
04-03-2014, 05:15 PM
What satellite provider are you using in your RV? I have Direct TV in home but it seems the satellite receivers for RV's lean toward Dish Network. I plan to take one of the boxes from home on trips. I'm out of contract and can go either way, anyone have insight?

CH3NO2

Dish sucks. "Ad a room" to your current Direct TV account and they'll send you an additional box. While you're waiting for the box in the mail, look on CL for a dish. Put the box in the RV and put the dish on a tripod. Every time you get where you're going, pull the dish out, aim it and watch TV. It's rather simple. Direct TV has no idea the box isn't in your home.

Napanutt
04-03-2014, 05:47 PM

CH3NO2

I have Dish in mine and love it (well I did until I got the free upgraded HD receiver a month or so ago). It's only five bucks a month for the extra receiver.
I had an old hand me down receiver since we got the rig in '08. Got the Wingard dome on the motorhome and it worked great for that receiver. Well, a few months ago, I was informed Dish wasn't going to be able to support the 111 receiver I have. Gave me a nice HD receiver-don't recall the model off hand- for next to nothing. Haven't had much time to mess with it but I think the dome I have doesn't support new receiver. Think I might need the $1,000.00 Winegard Traveler.

Put the box in the RV and put the dish on a tripod. Every time you get where you're going, pull the dish out, aim it and watch TV. It's rather simple. Direct TV has no idea the box isn't in your home.

Setting up a portable dish every time can be a nuisance, or so I've heard.

Stainless
04-03-2014, 06:07 PM
Dish sucks. "Ad a room" to your current Direct TV account and they'll send you an additional box. While you're waiting for the box in the mail, look on CL for a dish. Put the box in the RV and put the dish on a tripod. Every time you get where you're going, pull the dish out, aim it and watch TV. It's rather simple. Direct TV has no idea the box isn't in your home.

NGE, can you elaborate as to why you would choose Direct over Dish?
I've had it both ways as far as fixed vs portable, my question is geared to which provider. In shopping for mounted style it looks like there is more satellite receiver selection for Dish Network on RVs. I appreciate anyone's feedback. :)

CH3NO2

HB Vic
04-03-2014, 06:57 PM
We have directv works great

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bobby V
04-03-2014, 07:13 PM
Dish sucks. "Ad a room" to your current Direct TV account and they'll send you an additional box. While you'rge waiting for the box in the mail, look on CL for a dish. Put the box in the RV and put the dish on a tripod. Every time you get where you're going, pull the dish out, aim it and watch TV. It's rather simple. Direct TV has no idea the box isn't in your home.

I did this for years at my Havasu house. Last month my sat dish went out and my snowbird called Direct TV. Dumbass let them know the tv was in Havasu. DTV then shut off all 7 of my tvs at both houses. I had to go to each tv and give the guy my card # for that tv. I had to tell him I had 1 tv in Havasu because my snowbird already told them. Now I have to pay a $70 fee for Havasu with AZ channels. I am raising his rent next year.

Stainless
04-03-2014, 07:18 PM
We have directv works great

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Is your Sat dish mounted to RV? I want to mount permanently bc RV is pre-wired. I've been shopping, mostly at Camping World and majority of Sat dishes are for use with Dish Network. The easy decision is get one that works with Direct bc that's who I have service with presently and I'll just take one of the receivers on trips. Just trying to make sure I don't find out after the equipment purchase should have gone Dish Network.

CH3NO2

Stainless
04-03-2014, 07:19 PM
I did this for years at my Havasu house. Last month my sat dish went out and my snowbird called Direct TV. Dumbass let them know the tv was in Havasu. DTV then shut off all 7 of my tvs at both houses. I had to go to each tv and give the guy my card # for that tv. I had to tell him I had 1 tv in Havasu because my snowbird already told them. Now I have to pay a $70 fee for Havasu with AZ channels. I am raising his rent next year.

Now that sucks! :(

CH3NO2

Ziggy
04-03-2014, 07:34 PM
If the DTV receiver you want to take with you in the rv is HD then setting up the dish is a bit trickier but very doable. If its a Std Def receiver, then those dishes are simple to point.
Either way, the best is to mimick the same dish as whats on your house. $50-80 will get you a dish and LNb in most cases. On line best bet. Solidsignal.com has everything you'd need.
From my POS T-mobile thingie

Stainless
04-03-2014, 07:43 PM
If the DTV reciever you want to take with you in the rv is HD then setting up the dish is a bit trickier but very doable. If its a Std Def receiver, then those dishes are simple to point.
Either way, the best is to mimick the same dish as whats on your house. $50-80 will get you a dish and LNb in most cases. On line best bet. Solidsignal.com has everything you'd need.

Thanks Ziggy, I'll check that website. I get all the HD channels, would that mean it's a HD receiver? I checked back of receiver and can't find any distinguishing info, equipment is over 5 years old.

CH3NO2

CampbellCarl
04-03-2014, 08:34 PM
I struggle with the issue right now.....sitting in the moho in Palm Desert and can't get the Kingdome Sat and Direct TV dealio to work. Pops hated this dish so he upgraded his moho to the auto-find the satellite deal and sold me his semi-auto dome. Mounted a year ago and haven't yet got a signal....maybe cause the dome is behind the CB antenna, maybe the palm tree a hundred feet in front me (is exactly in line with the satellite) maybe maybe maybe

Stainless
04-03-2014, 08:42 PM
I struggle with the issue right now.....sitting in the moho in Palm Desert and can't get the Kingdome Sat and Direct TV dealio to work. Pops hated this dish so he upgraded his moho to the auto-find the satellite deal and sold me his semi-auto dome. Mounted a year ago and haven't yet got a signal....maybe cause the dome is behind the CB antenna, maybe the palm tree a hundred feet in front me (is exactly in line with the satellite) maybe maybe maybe

Another great response and I can relate, sometimes it's easy to latch onto signal and other times I didn't get it to work the whole trip.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Napanutt
04-03-2014, 08:57 PM

Looks to me the common denominator is "Direct TV". My auto find with Dish, not the tracker, worked great with my old receiver. Still trying to tweak the new HD receiver to figure out if it's gonna work with the old dome.

papaletch4130
04-03-2014, 10:03 PM
I did this for years at my Havasu house. Last month my sat dish went out and my snowbird called Direct TV. Dumbass let them know the tv was in Havasu. DTV then shut off all 7 of my tvs at both houses. I had to go to each tv and give the guy my card # for that tv. I had to tell him I had 1 tv in Havasu because my snowbird already told them. Now I have to pay a $70 fee for Havasu with AZ channels. I am raising his rent next year. I might have been the tech that fixed his tv.. Is your snowbird a old guy that likes jim beam?? haha

Bobby V
04-03-2014, 10:09 PM
I might have been the tech that fixed his tv.. Is your snowbird a old guy that likes jim beam?? haha
Yep. Jim. My house is on Bamboo. Was he drinking already. lol

Ricks raft
04-03-2014, 10:26 PM
The main reason dish is getting more popular with rvs is there hd will still work with dome style antennas. Dtv requires a larger dish because some of there hd channels are on ku band. The winegard motorized fold down dishes work the best for dish or direct. They are full size so they don't lose signal as easy as domes, they can have multiple receivers or tuners, and you don't have to wait for the dish to turn while changing channels. Your current dtv receiver should work with your current system. With either system if you are outside your local area you may not have local channels. But all the others will be fine. Saying dish sucks is ridicules, you may have had a bad experience, the hopper outperformed the genie in every category and cost less monthly.

Stainless
04-04-2014, 04:29 AM
The main reason dish is getting more popular with rvs is there hd will still work with dome style antennas. Dtv requires a larger dish because some of there hd channels are on ku band. The winegard motorized fold down dishes work the best for dish or direct. They are full size so they don't lose signal as easy as domes, they can have multiple receivers or tuners, and you don't have to wait for the dish to turn while changing channels. Your current dtv receiver should work with your current system. With either system if you are outside your local area you may not have local channels. But all the others will be fine. Saying dish sucks is ridicules, you may have had a bad experience, the hopper outperformed the genie in every category and cost less monthly.

Thank you for the explanation, I laugh every time the " hopper" commercial plays. :D

CH3NO2

papaletch4130
04-04-2014, 07:27 AM
Yep. Jim. My house is on Bamboo. Was he drinking already. lol Yup that is him.. Nice house killer driveway haha. If you ever have any problems just pm me on here I can get you taken care of..

Taboma
04-04-2014, 09:57 AM
Here's something I ran into when I recently switched from Direct TV Standard Def. to HD. Depending on what particular areas local channels you're subscribed to receive, the HD "Spot Beam" coverage area is a smaller radius than is the Std. Def. spot beam. So if you can't receive a local channel in HD, switch your guide back to SD, then you'll see and be able to receive those same channels in SD. This happened to me at Lake Havasu, my local channels being San Diego, it seems I'm right on the edge of the HD coverage. I switched dishes to the DTV SWM type, during the day I can receive channels in HD, but beginning around sundown and lasting all night, I can't receive HD, but if I switch to the SD channel, I get great reception, as I have for years out there.

Stainless
04-04-2014, 10:26 AM
Here's something I ran into when I recently switched from Direct TV Standard Def. to HD. Depending on what particular areas local channels you're subscribed to receive, the HD "Spot Beam" coverage area is a smaller radius than is the Std. Def. spot beam. So if you can't receive a local channel in HD, switch your guide back to SD, then you'll see and be able to receive those same channels in SD. This happened to me at Lake Havasu, my local channels being San Diego, it seems I'm right on the edge of the HD coverage. I switched dishes to the DTV SWM type, during the day I can receive channels in HD, but beginning around sundown and lasting all night, I can't receive HD, but if I switch to the SD channel, I get great reception, as I have for years out there.

Good info, I need to learn more about the technical side of HD and SD. All I know is it's painful to watch SD if HD is available.

CH3NO2

Bobby V
04-04-2014, 12:12 PM
Yup that is him.. Nice house killer driveway haha. If you ever have any problems just pm me on here I can get you taken care of..

PM sent. Thanks.

niceguyeddie
04-04-2014, 03:18 PM
NGE, can you elaborate as to why you would choose Direct over Dish?
I've had it both ways as far as fixed vs portable, my question is geared to which provider. In shopping for mounted style it looks like there is more satellite receiver selection for Dish Network on RVs. I appreciate anyone's feedback. :)

CH3NO2

I actually don't subscribe to either. I have Apple TV and Netflix. I don't like commercials, I find 99% of tv shows to be useless garbage, the news is worthless (unless you actually believe the shit they tell us), having to set up a DVR to record is a pain and I could give two shits about watching sports on tv. With Netflix being less than $10 a month and with the $30-50 a month I spend renting movies or buying a show season on I-Tunes I'm money ahead. I'm not really a big tv guy. I'd say that my living room is the least used room in my home and that's the only room I have a tv in. I'd rather stare at a blank wall and listen to music, but to each their own. lol.... We'll I do have another tv in the home but it's for my video surveillance. :)

Now when I did pay for satelitte I had both. Dish Networks menu guide and features just sucked. Direct TV was more user friendly and had more channels. If you're a big sports guy, then Direct Tv is better for the sports packages. When Fios was available in my area, I wen't that route.

Yea that would chap my ass alright.

Ziggy
04-04-2014, 07:21 PM

Someone told me the other day he has a mobile DTV antenna that he has in his pick up truck...::headscratch: this was new to me. He said he just plugs his receiver into that from the RV so he doesn't have to dick around with a dish or dome. Heard of that?

Stainless
04-04-2014, 07:29 PM
Someone told me the other day he has a mobile DTV antenna that he has in his pick up truck...::headscratch: this was new to me. He said he just plugs his receiver into that from the RV so he doesn't have to dick around with a dish or dome. Heard of that?

Riverbound? He has one on his camper shell. That reminds me, I should see what brand he has bc it's very low profile.

Ricks raft
04-04-2014, 09:46 PM

I would assume its a phase array antenna? Haven't seen those in a while. Low profile fits between a cargo rack, don't know if they work on the ku( medium power) satellite direct now uses for hd. Also for dish another option is the tailgater. It's a portable dish self seeking for signal and only $350.

Napanutt
04-04-2014, 09:54 PM
I would assume its a phase array antenna? Haven't seen those in a while. Low profile fits between a cargo rack, don't know if they work on the ku( medium power) satellite direct now uses for hd. Also for dish another option is the tailgater. It's a portable dish self seeking for signal and only $350.

Dude who installed my HD receiver in the house ranted about the tailgater. I don't want to have to pack and set up another item every time I camp. I also don't want to spend a thousand bucks either though.

Ricks raft
04-04-2014, 10:02 PM
Dude who installed my HD receiver in the house ranted about the tailgater. I don't want to have to pack and set up another item every time I camp. I also don't want to spend a thousand bucks either though.

Agreed. Set up is easy though, 1 coax, turn on receiver, couple minutes, watching tv. Dish"cube" weighs about 4-5 lbs. about 18" tall 12-14" wide.

Napanutt
04-04-2014, 10:05 PM
Agreed. Set up is easy though, 1 coax, turn on receiver, couple minutes, watching tv. Dish"cube" weighs about 4-5 lbs. about 18" tall 12-14" wide.

That's what I thought. I like built in simplicity though but it sure costs a lot more that way.

Ziggy
04-04-2014, 10:59 PM
Riverbound? He has one on his camper shell. That reminds me, I should see what brand he has bc it's very low profile.

:thumbup::thumbup:

riverbound
04-06-2014, 07:40 AM
http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/04/06/avy6ete5.jpgI use direct tv. I have a Tracvision on my truck and when we get to camp we just plug the trailer into to the truck and the main receiver in the trailer controls the dish. I have a total of 3 receivers in my trailer. All of them are add on "rooms" to my direct tv account. If you look at the top of my shell that's the satelite.

Stainless
04-06-2014, 07:47 AM
RB, where did you purchase yours? I like that it's low profile.

CH3NO2

riverbound
04-06-2014, 02:59 PM
RB, where did you purchase yours? I like that it's low profile.

CH3NO2

Al&eds Autosound in Ontario.
909-481-8411. I used to run the shop so drop my name and they will take care of you.

Ziggy
04-07-2014, 03:52 PM
Al&eds Autosound in Ontario.
909-481-8411. I used to run the shop so drop my name and they will take care of you.

So Bill, is it possible to use that antenna as you would the tailgater or cube? As in, not mounting it but just setting it out each time you use it?
Other questions. Is it SWM compatible? HD?
Btw..gave brian green light:thumbup:

riverbound
04-07-2014, 06:09 PM
So Bill, is it possible to use that antenna as you would the tailgater or cube? As in, not mounting it but just setting it out each time you use it?
Other questions. Is it SWM compatible? HD?
Btw..gave brian green light:thumbup:

I'm not 100% sure. I would assume you can. They aren't cheap though by any means. I got the bro deal of bro deals finding one used.

There is a way to make it HD. As I have seen them do a couple in HD

Cool. Looks like I will be seeing you soon.