PDA

View Full Version : Complete Florida re-model

314joey
04-02-2014, 06:21 PM
After some questions from a few and seeing the new house build down in Marco, I thought post a few pics of the little re-model job we did before we moved in, I was the GC and got labors from down the street and babysat most of the construction, the house was only 14 years old and is concrete construction and most everything on the outside was perfect, it was the inside that needed updating, we 100% redid the whole house and we love it now.

The first pics are what the inside looked like before I ripped the crap out of it.

GRADS
04-02-2014, 06:26 PM
Looks nice before it was remodeled.

314joey
04-02-2014, 06:28 PM
Here's the outside which we loved other than a little landscaping updating, plus the new dock and lift behind the house for the Formula

SBS933
04-02-2014, 06:31 PM
Looks awesome Joey, now for some pics of the landscape and boat hook-up. If Terri happened to be in one of the pics, that would be O.K. OH GREAT you beat me to the punch. :knockout:

314joey
04-02-2014, 06:32 PM
Looks nice before it was remodeled.

Thanks, but I hated those built-ins annd the kitchen was outdated, we filled up the dumpster in two days.

314joey
04-02-2014, 06:34 PM
Looks awesome Joey, now for some pics of the landscape and boat hook-up. If Terri happened to be in one of the pics, that would be O.K.

Oops, Terri supervising...........lmao. :shock:

GRADS
04-02-2014, 06:38 PM
when you decide to get a catamaran you're going to need a skill saw for that dock. ;)

niceguyeddie
04-02-2014, 06:44 PM
That's got to be bad ass to walk out of your house, down to a slip and take off when you're feeling bored.

Eli
04-02-2014, 09:17 PM
Is the house next door for sale?

Sent from my Bat Cave

314joey
04-03-2014, 05:37 AM
when you decide to get a catamaran you're going to need a skill saw for that dock. ;)

]

I can only afford one hull at a time, me v-hull guy.

That's got to be bad ass to walk out of your house, down to a slip and take off when you're feeling bored.

It is pretty nice just going out going and getting in the boat, I have a remote for the lift, so I just hit "down" when we're walking out the door and step into the boat and go, can't get much easier than that.

Is the house next door for sale?

Sent from my Bat Cave

I can help you look, lots of great deals.

314joey
04-03-2014, 06:04 AM
Tons of trash

2manymustangs
04-03-2014, 06:06 AM
Beautiful place there Captian!!!

Give the Mrs. a high five/kudos for me and tell her to keep up the good work (supervising)... :thumb:

Unforgiven
04-03-2014, 06:46 AM
Oops, Terri supervising...........lmao. :shock:

don't you think she's overdressed for supervising? Her top isn't required in the confines of the backyard..just saying......;)

Paul65K
04-03-2014, 06:48 AM
Looks great Jim...........what's the plan for the new kitchen??

314joey
04-03-2014, 07:14 AM
Beautiful place there Captian!!!

Give the Mrs. a high five/kudos for me and tell her to keep up the good work (supervising)... :thumb:

Thanks Bruce, she keep me humping..............lmao.

don't you think she's overdressed for supervising? Her top isn't required in the confines of the backyard..just saying......;)

The camera doesn't focus well when she's "sunning" maybe my hands are shaking. :shock:

Looks great Jim...........what's the plan for the new kitchen??

This is actually what I did about 8-9 months ago, so it's completed, it took me about two months working 6 days a week to get it finished, we had to move the sink plumbing and the electric for half of the house, it kept me busy for a while, but we're totally happy with the way it came out, rest of the finished product will be forthcoming.

Thanks guys.

Paul65K
04-03-2014, 07:17 AM
This is actually what I did about 8-9 months ago, so it's completed, it took me about two months working 6 days a week to get it finished, we had to move the sink plumbing and the electric for half of the house, it kept me busy for a while, but we're totally happy with the way it came out, rest of the finished product will be forthcoming.Cool....we went through exact;y the same thing last summer........show me yours and I'll show you mine :D

314joey
04-03-2014, 07:23 AM
Cool....we went through exact;y the same thing last summer........show me yours and I'll show you mine :D

Deal. love looking at what other have done...............we thought about building new, but it takes 6-8 months and it's an even bigger PITA then what we did and probably saved close to 100K doing it this way and got exactly what we want anyway.

314joey
04-03-2014, 07:31 AM
We replace "EVERYTHING" in the house, every light fixture, ceiling fan, hot water heater, pool heater, alarm system, carpet, tile, garage door opener, pool screen, painted the whole house, all new kitchen and appliances, Terri virtually got a new house.

314joey
04-03-2014, 07:35 AM
Plus I got a new dock and lift. :bananadance:

Check out the guy in the one pic in the water with his scuba mask on.................lol

Taboma
04-03-2014, 07:39 AM
Damn, way to dig in Joey :thumbsUp:
Appears to be a very nice area and I'm in love with the whole canal, dock and boat out the backdoor aspect :thumbup:
You mentioned concrete wall construction, filled CMU ?
Is the house built such that the walls are not load bearing ?
Are the exterior walls all furred on the inside so the electrical etc. is accessible for ease of relocation ?
Great thread :happy:

314joey
04-03-2014, 07:51 AM
Damn, way to dig in Joey :thumbsUp:
Appears to be a very nice area and I'm in love with the whole canal, dock and boat out the backdoor aspect :thumbup:
You mentioned concrete wall construction, filled CMU ?
Is the house built such that the walls are not load bearing ?
Are the exterior walls all furred on the inside so the electrical etc. is accessible for ease of relocation ?
Great thread :happy:

Most down are way are concrete block and they have rebar every 36" I think filled with concrete, yes, they are load bearing and most of the plumbing is in the floor, a lot of the electric is in the ceiling, unless it's needed on a exterior wall, then it's furred out for the wires and boxes, lots different than how we build them in the Midwest.
Some of the stuff isn't the easiest to just move like in a normal house, have to think about it a bit more so you do the least amount of damage to the house when doing stuff like we did.
In the area we live there's canals behind a couple hundred houses, it's really cool driving out of our subdivision to get to the Gulf.

We fell in love with this house because of it's location to the Gulf, it had electric hurricane shutters, the outside was perfect and it has great curb appeal, thanks for the nice comments

Kenny D
04-03-2014, 08:48 AM
Looks great!!....did you have to redo the sea wall?

riverrunner1984
04-03-2014, 08:58 AM
Did you live in the house while all of this was going on or did you rent a house nearby?

314joey
04-03-2014, 09:00 AM
Looks great!!....did you have to redo the sea wall?

No, it was in great shape, I was worried about that too, but in the inspection it checked out OK.

314joey
04-03-2014, 09:06 AM
Did you live in the house while all of this was going on or did you rent a house nearby?

Yes, all of our furniture was in storage and we lived in the Master bedroom only, it was tight, then when everything was done in the rest of the house, we moved to one of the other bedrooms and the Master and Master bath got a upgrade too.

Check out the guy walking on the 2" cage railing, WTF.

314joey
04-03-2014, 09:10 AM
Almost done, dahm, I'm getting tired..................again.

Kenny D
04-03-2014, 09:17 AM
No, it was in great shape, I was worried about that too, but in the inspection it checked out OK.
It is nice to have a cover over the boat.... in our area a covered dock must be grandfather in.They say it kills a certain grass that the Mantee eats

314joey
04-03-2014, 09:42 AM
It is nice to have a cover over the boat.... in our area a covered dock must be grandfather in.They say it kills a certain grass that the Mantee eats

A few of my neighbors asked me how we got one, I don't know, I tell them the dock company got it for me, apparently they're hard to get here too, it has the special city permit on it, so I know it's permitted, it is nice to have it though.

Taboma
04-03-2014, 09:44 AM

OH CRAP, really ? ----- Good tip on the Grandfathered in aspect. I can't help but think there's probably a lot of important details easily overlooked when purchasing along that coast.

314joey
04-03-2014, 09:44 AM
Just about done.

314joey
04-03-2014, 09:47 AM
That's about it.

Taboma
04-03-2014, 09:50 AM
Joey, you'd previously mentioned you were in the SW Cape Coral area, so do you exit to the gulf via the Grover Bight ?
Certainly interesting when viewing the aerial images how the area, the canals and homes change as you go further north of Hwy 78.
Between you and Kenny, you're stirring up dreams I've had tucked away for many years ---- FUN :happy:

riverrunner1984
04-03-2014, 09:54 AM
Do they only offer electric for appliances and not Gas or was that your guys decision?
I know my Fiance prefers Gas to Electric

Taboma
04-03-2014, 09:57 AM
Awesome job Joey !!!
You guys have a wonderful place.
I've really enjoyed this thread, yeah, that and you're fuckin killing me :stir::wink2:

314joey
04-03-2014, 11:51 AM
Joey, you'd previously mentioned you were in the SW Cape Coral area, so do you exit to the gulf via the Grover Bight ?
Certainly interesting when viewing the aerial images how the area, the canals and homes change as you go further north of Hwy 78.
Between you and Kenny, you're stirring up dreams I've had tucked away for many years ---- FUN :happy:

SW Cape over by Cape Harbour is definitely the nicest area and the further NE you go the "not so nice" it gets, depending on how far you go, anytime someone asks me about the Cape I advise them to stay South of Veterans Pkwy and go as far South and West as you can afford, it's funny, there's multi-million dollar homes spread throughout our area, then every once in a while there's a tear down, but they all seem to be disappearing now.
Location is important, the closer you are to the river the more expensive homes are........................location, location, location................cha ching... cha ching.... cha ching.

We come out right at the most SW exit by Rumrunners/Cape Harbour exit into the river.

Eli
04-03-2014, 12:52 PM
That's about it.

She always looks fantastic!

Sent from my Bat Cave

314joey
04-03-2014, 02:22 PM
Do they only offer electric for appliances and not Gas or was that your guys decision?

I don't know about the gas, then house was all electric, I'll have to ask, it's not that big of deal for us.

Awesome job Joey !!!
You guys have a wonderful place.
I've really enjoyed this thread, yeah, that and you're fuckin killing me :stir::wink2:

Thanks T, it was a lot of work, but it was well worth the time and effort.

She always looks fantastic!

Sent from my Bat Cave

Thanks, Eli, I keep the smile on her face................lol.

Kenny D
04-03-2014, 02:47 PM
You have to put in tanks it is not like Calif. where you just hook up to the street and you have So Cal gas co.We put in gas on the new build it was about $9000.00

Kenny D
04-03-2014, 02:50 PM
That's about it.
Joey the island was a great decision it really opens everything up.

Taboma
04-03-2014, 03:27 PM
SW Cape over by Cape Harbour is definitely the nicest area and the further NE you go the "not so nice" it gets, depending on how far you go, anytime someone asks me about the Cape I advise them to stay South of Veterans Pkwy and go as far South and West as you can afford, it's funny, there's multi-million dollar homes spread throughout our area, then every once in a while there's a tear down, but they all seem to be disappearing now.
Location is important, the closer you are to the river the more expensive homes are........................location, location, location................cha ching... cha ching.... cha ching.

We come out right at the most SW exit by Rumrunners/Cape Harbour exit into the river.

OK found that SW exit to the river. Just wanted to make sure I was looking in the right area. That whole area is huge, never imagined so many canals, like a maze.
Looking close up at the aerials it appears there's a lock right at Cape Harbor just west of the launch ramp --- why a lock ? Aren't all those canals at sea level anyway ?
Do they open the locks for the manatees ? :headscratch:

314joey
04-03-2014, 03:29 PM
Joey the island was a great decision it really opens everything up.

There was a tiny galley kitchen with a dedicated dining room next to it, I blew that sucker (dining room) out and open everything up, we ended up with over 20' of breakfast bar and can easily put 8 bar stools up to it, so the Family can all enjoy the kitchen together, it opens up to the Lani so we can get a pool and water view.

I can't wait to see what you're doing Kenny, I know it's going to be great, thanks for the kudos.

314joey
04-03-2014, 03:35 PM
OK found that SW exit to the river. Just wanted to make sure I was looking in the right area. That whole area is huge, never imagined so many canals, like a maze.
Looking close up at the aerials it appears there's a lock right at Cape Harbor just west of the launch ramp --- why a lock ? Aren't all those canals at sea level anyway ?
Do they open the locks for the manatees ? :headscratch:

I think you found where we come out, we go into that same canal, but when going home (North) we go to the right instead of the left towards the lock, I've tried to find out what the deal is with the lock, but it's confusing, the one thing I will tell you is I wouldn't buy back behind it and it's not going away.

I'm being told years ago it was put in the try and keep the brackish water from back in that area, but over the years they've found out it does nothing, other than slow boat traffic down.

On most Saturdays there's a line of boats to get in and out of that dahm thing, I'm not that patient, we didn't even consider a place back there, we wanted a house as close to the river as we could afford, they've been trying to get rid of the silly lock for years but the Feds won't let the City of Cape Coral remove it, who would've guessed that...................lmao.

Taboma
04-03-2014, 03:46 PM
good info --- plus it also appears if you went up to the left and let's say had to go under a bridge on Sands Blvd. you best be in a damned small (As in low to the water) boat with no arch.
That appears to be the case for most any of those homes on the canals west of Chiquita Blvd. Hope I'm not bugging you, just trying to get a better feel for the area before I start showing my wife homes for sale on Truila or Redfin :biggrin:

314joey
04-03-2014, 03:50 PM
good info --- plus it also appears if you went up to the left and let's say had to go under a bridge on Sands Blvd. you best be in a damned small (As in low to the water) boat with no arch.
That appears to be the case for most any of those homes on the canals west of Chiquita Blvd. Hope I'm not bugging you, just trying to get a better feel for the area before I start showing my wife homes for sale on Truila or Redfin :biggrin:

Not bothering me at all, I'd rather you have some upfront info to help you stay away from some of the pitfalls in looking for which area you want to look in, not to scare you, but there's a few things that you have to be careful of when actually looking at houses, bad drywall (foreign drywall mold), there's a few things like that you have to be careful of when buying, a good inspector is a must.

314joey
05-20-2014, 06:50 AM
Rowdy got a new fence..................and I got a sore back, but it's finished.........but i still have to paint it, I hate to paint.

Eli
05-20-2014, 07:06 AM
Rowdy got a new fence..................and I got a sore back, but it's finished.........but i still have to paint it, I hate to paint.

Rowdy is so spoiled! I love it!

I also really enjoy painting. It's soothing. I'm just not so great at staying in the lines...But, I can't figure out why I never get invited to a painting party by the same person twice :D

Sent from my Bat Cave