PDA

View Full Version : Head info from Dart

Unforgiven
04-01-2014, 08:30 AM
Beware of Copies:
Domestic and Off-Shore!
In 2014, cylinder head suppliers, many of them copiers, are fighting over you. Copies are almost always cheaper, but the originals are constantly evolving—always on the cutting edge while the copies have to wait. Here is what some of our industry leaders have to say.
"Back in 1970 we anxiously awaited the latest port-flowed cylinder heads to be released by the Detroit car makers. Today the CNC-machining center has transformed the machining process and revolutionized the production of racing parts,” said David Reher.
But as Reher, co-founder of Reher-Morrison Racing Engines, suggested during his recent PRI presentation in Indianapolis, "It is easy to be beguiled by gleaming, perfect looking CNC components. If the parts are produced by people who understand racing engines, the results can be spectacular. "However, judging by some of the parts he saw at the PRI show, he concluded that merit was sadly lacking. Their allure proved nothing more than the machining feed rate and tool speed was correct. Pretty parts with impressive air-flow numbers caught the eye but most were without substance."
If you are unsure of the proper throat size, the optimum short turn radius and a dozen other crucial characteristics, then you are just making chips. Some copies are adequate but most have obvious flaws. It’s always advisable to go with an original like Dart.
"The longer I've been building engines, dynoing engines and racing engines, the less I think of air flow numbers,” conceded Jon Kaase. "On a big cubic inch motor, for example, knowing the CFM is largely irrelevant. In my experience, you could select a number of heads all ported differently, with the same air flow rates, yet one could make 100 horsepower more than the others. Most head guys have a flow bench or a porting bench, but they are not completing the process and have to rely on others for feedback. Dart has been doing this specialized work for a long time, they know what they’re doing and they have a proven common sense approach.” said Kaase, a five-time winner of the Engine Masters Challenge.
Dart's reputation soared in 1981 when they resolved exhaust port deficiencies in the hemi engines of Top Fuel and Funny Cars. In 1982 they transformed the aftermarket cylinder head business by introducing the first commercially available Pro Stock big block head. During their time in NHRA Pro Stock racing, they won three national championships, 50 national events and were the first engine builder to win a championship for a customer.
Dart founder Dick Maskin said, “We get notes from strangers who thank us for dramatic improvements in power. We are not selling flow numbers. Instead we are selling performance, we are selling quality, and we are selling the best machining techniques we know. We will say we are not always perfect, but we try hard and our development programs never stop. All our production cylinder heads are continually being upgraded.

WESTERNAERO
04-01-2014, 09:43 AM
Beware of Copies:
"It is easy to be beguiled by gleaming, perfect looking CNC components. If the parts are produced by people who understand racing engines, Materials, Manufacturing and Outside Processes the results can be spectacular. "However, judging by some of the parts he saw at the PRI show, he concluded that merit was sadly lacking. Their allure proved nothing more than the machining feed rate and tool speed was correct. Pretty parts with impressive air-flow numbers caught the eye but most were without substance."

I like this part. Lots of truth right there and you can apply that statement to a lot of shit being made in the car and boat industries. I added a little to his statement also. :D

Unforgiven
04-01-2014, 11:59 AM
Kevin, we could start something boating related but no one would be interested..i'll post pics tonight of the props with a little story behind it...

Brian
04-01-2014, 12:03 PM
Too bad Richard Maskin is a complete fucktard. He treats everyone he comes across like a piece of shit.

76Bonneville
04-01-2014, 02:06 PM
I'm learning the hard way. A few years ago I bought a set of C&C'd Pro Comp heads. Bolted them on a 496 we were puting together. Tested on our way to the Parker race and it lasted 10 min. before it stuck a valve. That was my $700.00 a minute motor.

WESTERNAERO
04-01-2014, 02:09 PM
I'm learning the hard way. A few years ago I bought a set of C&C'd Pro Comp heads. Bolted them on a 496 we were puting together. Tested on our way to the Parker race and it lasted 10 min. before it stuck a valve. That was my $700.00 a minute motor.

Ouch, that must have sucked.

76Bonneville
04-01-2014, 02:35 PM
Ouch, that must have sucked.
Yes it did.
Next and present motor has a Dart block, Dart heads, CP pistons, Crower crank, rods, shaft rockers and cam with a custom grind to match our #'s.
With a single 1050 carb turns our pump 6700 rpm's in the neighborhood of 850hp.
Quality parts and engine builder = reliable power
I've learned my lesson

Unforgiven
04-01-2014, 02:38 PM
yes it did.
Next and present motor has a dart block, dart heads, cp pistons, crower crank, rods, shaft rockers and cam with a custom grind to match our #'s.
With a single 1050 carb turns our pump 6700 rpm's in the neighborhood of 850hp.
Quality parts and engine builder = reliable power
i've learned my lesson

we went with the upgraded parts as well.dart block, brant crank, canfield heads t&d rockers j&e pistons oliver rods and a cstraub cam to match out numbers..i have a very anal engine builder...his work is outstanding...

gn7
04-01-2014, 03:37 PM
Too bad Richard Maskin is a complete fucktard. He treats everyone he comes across like a piece of shit.

I have two sets of Dart CNC heads, and neither of them came with his personality in the deal. He isn't the most likable guy in the world, and doesn't suffer fools lightly. Most incredibly intelligent people don't.
I don't care if he beats his wife and kicks his dog. It was heads I was buying.

Menace Marine
04-01-2014, 07:00 PM
I have a set of darts on my motor. Made 100hp more than unforgivens canfields. Sorry buddy I had to.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Unforgiven
04-01-2014, 07:05 PM
I have a set of darts on my motor. Made 100hp more than unforgivens canfields. Sorry buddy I had to.

yea but you had to spin your blower harder to get there...sorry had to do it.....thing is your gonna need that extra 100 to keep up...then I'll just spin my blower harder

Menace Marine
04-01-2014, 07:08 PM
yea but you had to spin your blower harder to get there...sorry had to do it.....thing is your gonna need that extra 100 to keep up...then I'll just spin my blower harder

Have to ram the air in somehow. And the only thing either of us will need to beat the other is a set of stones willing to push the throttle all the way open.

gn7
04-01-2014, 07:18 PM
With enough force, you don't need that big of an orifice.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vivGkuPjZeY

Unforgiven
04-01-2014, 07:31 PM
Have to ram the air in somehow. And the only thing either of us will need to beat the other is a set of stones willing to push the throttle all the way open.

Dustin, if you were to come up on Wednesday prior to Desert Storm...we can find out
There shouldn't be much traffic that day and we can wind them up....too bad Rob can't be there to watch his ROOTZ EFI bad boys run...BTW..I let you run the 36 to make it fair

Menace Marine
04-01-2014, 07:32 PM
Dustin, if you were to come up on Wednesday prior to Desert Storm...we can find out
There shouldn't be much traffic that day and we can wind them up....too bad Rob can't be there to watch his ROOTZ EFI bad boys run...BTW..I let you run the 36 to make it fair

I have a 36. And I'm headed up Tuesday.

Unforgiven
04-01-2014, 07:34 PM
I have a 36. And I'm headed up Tuesday.

perfect..we'll go have breakfast and go play...