PDA

View Full Version : Hey Doc, Paul, Real Estate people?

Stainless
03-31-2014, 05:40 AM
I need to put a property tax appeal together today, what is the website that shows how much property has sold for?
Anyone else appealing? Deadline is tomorrow for my locale.

CH3NO2

Paul65K
03-31-2014, 05:47 AM
Well........the absolute best tools for this are typically available to the professional Realtors in your area as they aggregate the data from the county assessor's office.

The information you seek is available on your county tax roles via their website but the ability to search and more importantly get the specific details about the properties that have been sold are difficult to put together.

Do you have any friends there in Tucson (is that right?) that are Realtors or have access to their local MLS to help put together a Market analysis? With a MA you can get more granular data from the assessor's website which would be the basis for your appeal. Short that Zillow, Trulia and Redfin are some of the best non-MLS sites to start with.

Drop me a PM if you get stuck and I'll see what I can do to help.

Stainless
03-31-2014, 05:56 AM
Well........the absolute best tools for this are typically available to the professional Realtors in your area as they aggregate the data from the county assessor's office.

The information you seek is available on your county tax roles via their website but the ability to search and more importantly get the specific details about the properties that have been sold are difficult to put together.

Do you have any friends there in Tucson (is that right?) that are Realtors or have access to their local MLS to help put together a Market analysis? With a MA you can get more granular data from the assessor's website which would be the basis for your appeal. Short that Zillow, Trulia and Redfin are some of the best non-MLS sites to start with.

Drop me a PM if you get stuck and I'll see what I can do to help.

Thanks for the response Paul, Zillow is the name I'm looking for. I've done it bf and usually get a token reduction, certainly not what a pro could do, but oh well. Property tax is like compound interest, if you don't appeal it just grows bigger and bigger. Thanks for the offer! :)

CH3NO2

2manymustangs
03-31-2014, 06:06 AM
Thanks for the response Paul, Zillow is the name I'm looking for. I've done it bf and usually get a token reduction, certainly not what a pro could do, but oh well. Property tax is like compound interest, if you don't appeal it just grows bigger and bigger. Thanks for the offer! :)

CH3NO2

^^^ Bazinga... I dont protest my RE taxes bcuz im flying under the radar on a few items BUT as a matter of practice my family (father and extended family) pay all RE taxes under protest as a matter of principal...

In MO our PERSONAL PROPERTY taxation is a state of TAXATION WITHOUT JUSTIFICATION... SO we protest to keep it fresh in the mind of the GUBMENT "WE ARE WATCHING YOU"... :)

^^^ NOTE this isn't a political statement... ;)

AS for your market analysis, in the OLD days of my R.E. sales, only the R.E. professionals had access to our MULTI LIST SYSTEM and could pull comps for recently sold properties... AND that was for MO... Nowadays I think that the MO board of Realtors has changed the MULTI LIST SYSTEM greatly and it may be available to JOE PUBLIC to a certain extent...

IF you cant find the sold properties contact a realtor friend OR a friend of a friend and ask them to pull some COMPS / "CMA" (market analysis) for SOLD properties in your neighborhood for you and then parse them down yourself... It takes all of 5 minutes for the agent, JUST remember the NICE agent that helps you out when you or your family are giving out referrals on R.E. agents... WE/I did this for folks all the time as a way to get my GOOD name out there in front of people... :)

The AGENTS can sort/filter on SOLD data/prices / LIST prices and sold within X number of days... My guess is now they have the system set up in a way that you can simply put in YOUR address and pull a CMA on just your neighborhood based on YOUR address...

Stainless
03-31-2014, 06:30 AM
Thanks for your insight Bruce, appreciate it very much! :)

CH3NO2

2manymustangs
03-31-2014, 06:48 AM
:thumbsUp:

The Doctor
03-31-2014, 08:39 AM
I'm appealing three of my properties this year. First, I find comparable sales in the same book and map as my property that help justify my findings. Without those comparable sales, they will throw you out on your ear. My favorite websites for these comps is MLS but the County Assessor's website also provides public records to anyone which I also like to use. Then I provide a narrative to verify and add substance to the appeal.

I almost always win my argument at the first level but on one of my custom home lots, I got rejected and my findings were spot on so I took it to the second level and sat in front of the board of appeals where I argue my case against the county weasels in a courtroom type setting. I was successful at pointing out facts that the first level review ignored and handily won my case there. It's not for the faint of heart to do that but if you have substance to your argument, it's always worth it.

Stainless
04-01-2014, 04:00 PM
Just dropped off the appeals, I think it normally takes 1-2 months for a response. Again, I don't expect much of a break bc it's only for the value, in other words you can't argue the assessments i.e. school district, fire district etc. Thanks for the replies gentlemen! ;)

CH3NO2