PDA

View Full Version : RIP........Ralph " Bunky " Muirhead,

Skyskier
03-28-2014, 09:32 PM
My Pop's went over to Bunky's house to visit today an found out Bunky has died,.........Pop spoke VERY BRIEFLY with his wife, she said he was not feeling well one night recently and they were going to go to Loma Linda the next morning .................... he didn't make it.

( From the hotboat database)................

"Ralph (Bunkey) Muirhead glassed and painted wood Mandellas in the late '50s. He started Unlimited Marine in 1961. Harlan Orrin built his 18' plug in 1963. He later built a 16' OB, and a 24' cruiser. He was in Downey in the '80s.
Buck Smith and son Boats in Bakersfield in the mid '60s. He built HOT TODY'S GHOST. Later, he was in Orange County as Plural Components and building 73' yachts. "

Tuff day for my Pop's, ............he went over this morning to play some "peanuckle" ? with his BFF from Jr. High back in the 30's, Gene Guilbert. "uncle Gene" as I call him is in an assisted living place over in sun city and is suffering with alzheimer's, today was not a good day for uncle Gene so Pop's went over to Bunky's place in Elsinore an that's when he got the bad news.

I know there's a couple of more "old farts my age +" that post here and probably knew Bunky also. Any of you "old guy's" that see this, please pass the word. I know Bunky was pretty much outta the boat scene the last few decades, horses were his passion, so, like I said, please pass the word along.

I don't know about any services as of yet, hell, we don't know for sure what day Bunky passed, but If I hear anything I'll follow up. Also, I'll get an address if anybody would like to send a card to the family, ........I'M SURE they'd appreciate the thought from "the boating family".

gn7
03-28-2014, 10:53 PM
He built some cool fun boats.

RIP Bunky.

RyanPartridge
03-29-2014, 10:55 AM
RIP Bunky.

Here's my buddy AJ in his Bunky Muirhead built wood deck Unlimited...

Soccerloco
06-16-2014, 02:48 PM
Had a unlimited marine boat the yahoo owned by I think norm taylor that was campaigned as an e boat. Any thoughts. Thanks bill

RyanPartridge
06-16-2014, 03:24 PM
Had a unlimited marine boat the yahoo owned by I think norm taylor that was campaigned as an e boat. Any thoughts. Thanks bill

I do know that Norm Taylor owned a checkerboard Schiada flat that was driven by Terry McCorkel, ER-19. The boat was sold to George McDougall who raced it in the SS class...SS-11. Probably not any help...just some trivia...

doubleeagle
06-17-2014, 06:58 AM
I worked with Bunky when he leased a building at Roberts Marine. I dated his Niece during High School. He was a great guy and fun to be around. A true pioneer in the boat bussiness. I also owned one of his flatbottoms fun little boat. Rip

TKORay
07-31-2014, 08:12 PM
I have one of his 21' day cruisers..sad news....now I have to get it back on the water!!!!