PDA

View Full Version : Train wreck!!!

Eli
03-28-2014, 03:18 PM
Yesterday I almost became a train wreck, literally. I was driving all over southern CA from one thing to another and was heading to my last meeting and thanks to traffic I had 2 people waiting for me. I was driving in a very unfamiliar area and I was about a fourth of a mile away from my destination, when I notice these flashing lights, yet everyone was driving right passed them as if it was just a common warning. Until I was close enough to realize there are train tracks and an on coming train. I slammed on my brakes as hard as I could, looked in the rear view mirror and noticed the car behind me was going to slam into my ass and shove me right into the train so I released the break and went forward about a car length. He barely stopped inches behind me to the point where I could see his face in my rear view mirror. I was relieved that he didn't hit me, until I realized where I was. I knew at this point I can't go forward because I would risk being hit by the train but I wasn't in a safe area either, I tried to reverse and the idiot behind me wouldn't get out of my way. I turned my head and shouted "MOVE!" he put his car in reverse and gave me space to move. I was in such a panic all I could see was mother's face and then my sisters faces and at this point everything became a fog. I thought, "I can't go like this." At this point, I couldn't hear anything, I obviously couldn't see anything because I tried to put the car in reverse and I wasn't moving, I looked down and it was in neutral, I made a second attempt and heard a loud roar from the engine. I was paralyzed by fear. I've never been paralyzed by fear. I've always taken fear by the horns and made it my bitch. I looked down again and noticed the car was in park. I focus as hard as I could and put the car in reverse, looked back and there was the barrier arm behind me and I had to get passed it. I slammed on the gas, and heard the loud scrape against the roof of my car and made it just in time to look up and see the train passing in front of me. I was shaking so hard I couldn't move. It felt like an eternity watching the train pass me. Once it passed, I put the car in drive and drove to the first drive way, park my car and took a few deep breaths. About a minute passed when I realized I'm going to need to talk to someone to help calm me down, can't call mother or sisters and freak them out, so I called my friend. As I started explaining what happened and realized I was safe, I burst into tears and cried, "I'm not supposed to die in a train wreck, I'm supposed to die sky diving or something." It took about ten minutes for me to finally stop shaking enough to drive again.

Well, it got me thinking, a lot of you race boats, cars etc. and do other things you love or for work that are far more dangerous and real than my experience. Have you ever been in a situation where you thought "holy shit this could be it!" What went through your mind?

I know one thing for sure, when I see my mother and sisters tonight I'm going to give them a giant hug. I just can't tell them why. ;)

28eliminator
03-28-2014, 03:44 PM
:yikes: Holy shit Eli... Glad your ok!!

Being put in a situation where you suddenly come face to face with your own mortality can sure be a wakeup call. You should have a drink :yes:

This is however, a great opportunity for some TRAIN related jokes :smile:

Stainless
03-28-2014, 03:59 PM
Wow!!!
Glad you were able to gather your composure to get your car in gear and get off the tracks. Was abandoning the car resonating or was your brain froze? I ask bc you didn't mention it, people process fear differently. So thankful your here to post this!

CH3NO2

GRADS
03-28-2014, 03:59 PM
By any chance did the train conductor yell "fuck Riverdave and Hotboat!" as he went by?

28eliminator
03-28-2014, 04:01 PM
By any chance did the train conductor yell "fuck Riverdave and Hotboat!" as he went by?

LOL... knew that was coming :D

Eli
03-28-2014, 04:04 PM
:yikes: Holy shit Eli... Glad your ok!!

Being put in a situation where you suddenly come face to face with your own mortality can sure be a wakeup call. You should have a drink :yes:

This is however, a great opportunity for some TRAIN related jokes :smile:

Yea I thought about the irony of the train wreck. Lol

Wow!!!
Glad you were able to gather your composure to get your car in gear and get off the tracks. Was abandoning the car resonating or was your brain froze? I ask bc you didn't mention it, people process fear differently. So thankful your here to post this!

CH3NO2

It did just go through my mind, I looked to the left saw the train and it was far enough away for one more shot as I hit the gas like a batshit crazy lady and my car finally moved. In retrospect, I could've moved a few feet and been fine, but at that point it was all instinct and no thought process.

I think I heard RD SUUUUUU as it rushed passed me ;)

Sent from my Bat Cave

Stainless
03-28-2014, 04:22 PM
Eli, in response to the latter part of your post, I've had to near death situations and both involved trying to rescue others. The first was trying to save a person from drowning. I was a teenager then, as soon as I got to him he used me as a bouy by grabbing my hair and pushing me under for what seemed eternity. Luckily someone else jumped in and two of us managed to get the guy to shallow water.

CH3NO2

Eli
03-28-2014, 04:24 PM
Eli, in response to the latter part of your post, I've had to near death situations and both involved trying to rescue others. The first was trying to save a person from drowning. I was a teenager then, as soon as I got to him he used me as a bouy by grabbing my hair and pushing me under for what seemed eternity. Luckily someone else jumped in and two of us managed to get the guy to shallow water.

CH3NO2

Oh no! That's terrible he almost drown both of you. Admittedly, I did giggle a little at the image, but only bc I know you're safe :)

Sent from my Bat Cave

Stainless
03-28-2014, 04:37 PM
The second involved rescuing a cop from a burning patrol car. This was in '08, about 5am on the way to work, he had passed me a few minutes earlier traveling close to a 100 mph. All the sudden I'm dodging guardrail debris scattered all over both lanes of interstate, and I saw a fire erupt in the median. I slammed on brakes and backed up, started running to patrol car and there was an apparent fuel tank explosion. I could tell the car had completely rolled and landed tires down but couldn't tell if the officer was in the car bc of the blacked out windows. Then he started screaming to get him out of the car. The grass was starting to catch on fire and fortunately other people stopped to help. The door pillar was bent so door wouldn't open, one of the other rescuers broke out the window and we pulled him out the window as the car became more engulfed.

CH3NO2

gn7
03-28-2014, 04:59 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PseH6Y_zYGY

mrs.daytona
03-28-2014, 05:02 PM
How terrifying!! So glad you're okay. Fortunately I haven't had anything like this happen to me. I am getting on a plane Monday morning..I hope I haven't jinxed myself ;)

Sent from my iPhone

HB Vic
03-28-2014, 05:51 PM
Yikes 🙈 glad you're ok

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Eli
03-28-2014, 05:56 PM
The second involved rescuing a cop from a burning patrol car. This was in '08, about 5am on the way to work, he had passed me a few minutes earlier traveling close to a 100 mph. All the sudden I'm dodging guardrail debris scattered all over both lanes of interstate, and I saw a fire erupt in the median. I slammed on brakes and backed up, started running to patrol car and there was an apparent fuel tank explosion. I could tell the car had completely rolled and landed tires down but couldn't tell if the officer was in the car bc of the blacked out windows. Then he started screaming to get him out of the car. The grass was starting to catch on fire and fortunately other people stopped to help. The door pillar was bent so door wouldn't open, one of the other rescuers broke out the window and we pulled him out the window as the car became more engulfed.

CH3NO2
That sounds so scary!

How terrifying!! So glad you're okay. Fortunately I haven't had anything like this happen to me. I am getting on a plane Monday morning..I hope I haven't jinxed myself ;)

Sent from my iPhone
Thanks and hopefully not!

Yikes 🙈 glad you're ok

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Thanks!

Sent from my Bat Cave

Ziggy
03-28-2014, 06:26 PM
I'm extremely glad you avoided any physical damage :thumb:, the emotional part is different ....you will think about it every time you see the RxR signs.
That said, and I just made a damning post to HB about blinders, but when you are driving a car please concentrate on driving. So many people let their lives and everything else consume them and loose sight of the task at hand...which is getting from A to B safely. Cell phones are the least of today's driver distractions.
as a ironic little tidbit, I just made it through a RR crossing in stop/go traffic today as the Sprinter was barreling down on me. The wind from it shook my car as it passed behind me.

SBS933
03-28-2014, 06:35 PM
You fucked with Tishimself one to many times.

Ziggy
03-28-2014, 06:45 PM
btw----I know a guy who might be able to fix the roof paint..... and rim on your car :D:D

Stainless
03-28-2014, 06:48 PM

Sent from my iPhone

Are you leaving Grads home alone? :eek:

CH3NO2

mrs.daytona
03-28-2014, 06:55 PM

CH3NO2

Yes, and for an entire week!

GRADS
03-28-2014, 07:12 PM

Now that's a train wreck waiting to happen. HotBoat you've been warned.

Napanutt
03-28-2014, 07:17 PM

CH3NO2

Now that's a train wreck waiting to happen. HotBoat you've been warned.

This almost leads into another topic.
How many times in the last year, two years etc. have the married folks slept in the same bed without their spouse?

Eli
03-28-2014, 07:19 PM
How many times in the last year, two years etc. have the married folks slept in the same bed without their spouse?

Alone, right? Lol

Sent from my Bat Cave

mrs.daytona
03-28-2014, 07:22 PM

ummmm....I think this question may be better suited for the HOTBOAT Lifestyle Section ;)

Eli
03-28-2014, 07:23 PM
ummmm....I think this question may be better suited for the HOTBOAT Lifestyle Section ;)

That's what I was thinking :D

Sent from my Bat Cave

GRADS
03-28-2014, 07:28 PM

Any time I drop a dutch oven.

Napanutt
03-28-2014, 07:37 PM
Alone, right? Lol

Sent from my Bat Cave

That's what I was thinking :D

Sent from my Bat Cave

You two are killing me.
Aside from the occasional pass out on the couch, I haven't slept in the same bed without my wife more than 5 or 10 times in the last 10 years or so... :)

SnoC653
03-28-2014, 07:37 PM

Is this one of those trick questions? If you're sleeping in the same bed, how are you not together?

Eli
03-28-2014, 07:40 PM
Any time I drop a dutch oven.

You can clear a hotel!

Sent from my Bat Cave

Napanutt
03-28-2014, 07:41 PM
Is this one of those trick questions? If you're sleeping in the same bed, how are you not together?

I'll give you credit.
I'm scratching my head... :)

Ziggy
03-28-2014, 07:47 PM
There are those moments I do keep one eye open all night....ya know, just in case that female BS Crazy thing kicks in ;) :D

Eli
03-28-2014, 07:50 PM
I'll give you credit.
I'm scratching my head... :)

Your question was a bit of a train wreck lol

Sent from my Bat Cave

Napanutt
03-28-2014, 07:51 PM
There are those moments I do keep one eye open all night....ya know, just in case that female BS Crazy thing kicks in ;) :D

And does your wife, Jan i think, approve of this message? :D

Ziggy
03-28-2014, 07:54 PM
And does your wife, Jan i think, approve of this message? :D

I must refer you to my sig line.......:D:D and prepare for a sleepless night:p

Napanutt
03-28-2014, 07:55 PM
Your question was a bit of a train wreck lol

Sent from my Bat Cave

It wasn't a question but a response to sno's response.
Q

GRADS
03-28-2014, 07:59 PM
Officially...

Napanutt
03-28-2014, 08:02 PM
Kind of miss Tis about now, referring to trains and shit.

Eli
03-28-2014, 08:14 PM

Is that Bull Shit or BatShit? ;)

Sent from my Bat Cave

Eli
03-28-2014, 08:20 PM
Kind of miss Tis about now, referring to trains and shit.

He left me a very nice message a few hours ago. :)

Sent from my Bat Cave

Ziggy
03-28-2014, 08:48 PM
Is that Bull Shit or BatShit? ;)

Sent from my Bat Cave
Yes :D

SnoC653
03-28-2014, 08:50 PM
He left me a very nice message a few hours ago. :)

Sent from my Bat Cave

Did he say he was sorry for your bad experience and how he missed you....

by 10 feet?

Eli
03-28-2014, 09:28 PM
Did he say he was sorry for your bad experience and how he missed you....

by 10 feet?

No he told me I look terrified and he has a pic. Lol

Sent from my Bat Cave

GRADS
03-28-2014, 09:53 PM
No he told me I look terrified and he has a pic. Lol

He texted it to me.

Napanutt
03-28-2014, 09:59 PM
He texted it to me.

So is that what she looks like without make-up? :)

mrs.daytona
03-28-2014, 10:06 PM
So is that what she looks like without make-up? :)

Only if she wakes up next to you :rotflmao:

Napanutt
03-28-2014, 10:09 PM

Next to me or pool boy? I don't get it. LOL

Eli
03-28-2014, 10:20 PM

Next to me or pool boy? I don't get it. LOL

Bahahaha go Mrs. Daytona! That was funny chit!

Sent from my Bat Cave

ChumpChange
03-28-2014, 10:22 PM
If the arm was behind you, why couldn't you go forward?

Eli
03-28-2014, 10:23 PM
If the arm was behind you, why couldn't you go forward?

There was an arm in front of me too and a train to my left. Trust me, if I could go back, I would just get out of the car and wait.

Sent from my Bat Cave

Ziggy
03-29-2014, 10:39 AM
Chooooooooo-Chooooooooooooo!!!......wake up Eli ;) :D

thatguy
03-29-2014, 02:36 PM
Jesus, that was a close one!

Yeah, I've seen my life pass before me.
It's funny, but as a kid my dad had his own skydiving club that he started.
I used to actually snap into a harness and lean out the door of a Cherokee 6 airplane and take super 8 movies of them exiting.
I was 9 years old then.
One time I unsnapped and was moving back to my seat when the plane bounced and I almost went out the door at 8000'.
A guy that had refused to jump just happened to be by the door, the only time I ever remember anyone riding the plane down.
He grabbed me as I went by and saved me from certain death.
I told my Dad a lot of things before he died, but I NEVER told him about that.
(He had exited the plane seconds before that happened.)

Hye power
03-29-2014, 02:58 PM
There was an arm in front of me too and a train to my left. Trust me, if I could go back, I would just get out of the car and wait.

Sent from my Bat Cave

I've never seen train tracks with arm on both sides of the track, interesting.

Eli
03-29-2014, 03:02 PM
You're probably right. Like I said it was all just a fog. My mother's face was mostly what I saw in front of me.

Sent from my Bat Cave

thatguy
03-29-2014, 03:09 PM
I've never seen train tracks with arm on both sides of the track, interesting.

Huh?

There are tracks in Anderson and Redding that cross both lanes on both sides.

314joey
03-29-2014, 04:11 PM
Never one quite as close a call you had, be careful girl, you need to be healthy enough to make it over to see Terri and I and SWF, glad you're OK.

hbchgirl
03-29-2014, 05:14 PM
Wow, that's so scary! I'm so glad you're safe!!!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Eli
03-29-2014, 06:11 PM
Never one quite as close a call you had, be careful girl, you need to be healthy enough to make it over to see Terri and I and SWF, glad you're OK.

Wow, that's so scary! I'm so glad you're safe!!!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Thanks! I've just been kind of out of it the last 2 days.

314joey, I'm thinking my trip needs to be sooner than later. :)

Sent from my Bat Cave

kachina26
03-30-2014, 01:10 AM
I've forwarded the thread to our loss prevention department, you should get the bill for the gate arm shortly.

Glad you weren't hurt, I get calls like this all the time. Shakes the crew up pretty good too.

Hye power
03-30-2014, 02:14 AM
Huh?

There are tracks in Anderson and Redding that cross both lanes on both sides.

I'm telling you I have never seen it, every crossing I have seen the arms are like this.

thatguy
03-30-2014, 04:44 AM
I'm telling you I have never seen it, every crossing I have seen the arms are like this.

I know.

It is unusual, but they do go all the across sometimes.

http://i152.photobucket.com/albums/s170/thomasljr/Cars/article-1377228-0BA3D46900000578-934_634x286.jpg

Eli
03-30-2014, 06:00 AM
I've forwarded the thread to our loss prevention department, you should get the bill for the gate arm shortly.

Glad you weren't hurt, I get calls like this all the time. Shakes the crew up pretty good too.

The gate arm was fine. It's a sturdy MOFO LOL. I'll send them my cleaning bill ;)

Sent from my Bat Cave

Eli
03-30-2014, 06:04 AM

That's definitely not what it looked like. There were two arms on each side maybe because the street is very wide.

Sent from my Bat Cave