PDA

View Full Version : Life Jackets

KAP
03-28-2014, 09:00 AM
Question:

How many people wear a life jacket while operating their boat?

If you do Why!

If you don't what is the reason?

I always do when participating in events.

These last few years I have been wearing a life jacket routinely.

Why! because I am doing triple digits when the time is right and cruising when it's busy.

In the ocean. I always wear a jacket and everyone in my boat is required to wear one in the ocean or they stay on the dock.

I was kinda curious to hear what other people do routinely in their boats on this subject.

Oh and I also clip the kill switch to my shorts or jacket.

Sharp shooter
03-28-2014, 09:07 AM
For recreational slow speed cruising In a ski boat I usually don't. For faster rides in faster boats yes.

IF I was a weekend boater out with the crowds or offshore boating I would wear it.

djunkie
03-28-2014, 09:19 AM
For recreational slow speed cruising In a ski boat I usually don't. For faster rides in faster boats yes.

IF I was a weekend boater out with the crowds or offshore boating I would wear it.

Same here. My boat spends most its time cruising around 40-50mph. When I was out testing props and really running it hard I put my lifeline on just in case. I also wear it when riding in my buddies boats. His are capable of triple digits and I feel a whole lot safer with the jacket on.

KAP
03-28-2014, 09:26 AM
I always wonder if people respect the speeds now days.

In the past 100MPH was a lofty goal most if not 90% of the people boating never see those speeds. In the last 5 years the 100MPH mark is yesterdays news. The new benchmark for speed is 150MPH and above.

On occasion some people make snide comments about my wearing a jacket. I usually laugh because they do not have any comprehension of boating safety or they are riding in a toon doing 22mph.

I rarely ever see anyone wearing a jacket.

djunkie brought up a great point I overlooked. I also feel a whole lot safer with a jacket on.

GRADS
03-28-2014, 09:27 AM
When we had our Eliminator Eagle it did about 75 m.p.h. and I would only wear it when we would go above 55 or so. When we had our Daytona I made every single person that got in the boat wear one no matter what speed we were doing. Shit can go bad really fast when you're doing over 100. When I first got my Shockwave I wore it out of habit but quickly realized I could probably swim faster than the boat so I stopped wearing it.

Stainless
03-28-2014, 09:30 AM

X3, and too add to that it's awfully hot in the summer wearing one.
I have a full compliment of lifelines and a few token USCG approved vests in my boat in case I'm safety checked.

CH3NO2

KAP
03-28-2014, 09:33 AM
When we had our Eliminator Eagle it did about 75 m.p.h. and I would only wear it when we would go above 55 or so. When we had our Daytona I made every single person that got in the boat wear one no matter what speed we were doing. Shit can go bad really fast when you're doing over 100. When I first got my Shockwave I wore it out of habit but quickly realized I could probably swim faster than the boat so I stopped wearing it.

The highlighted section above is exactly my thought process. It only takes a split second and disaster can happen real quick.

On a sidenote: A good friend of mine passed away recently and it makes me think if he had been wearing a Lifeline he might still be alive.

GRADS
03-28-2014, 09:42 AM
If you've ever seen a boating accident first hand, which I'm sure a lot of you have, a lot of the time when the people are thrown from the boat they are knocked silly or even unconcious. That life vest could be the difference between sinking and floating.

SnoC653
03-28-2014, 09:52 AM
From launching the boat to trailering the boat, I have a jacket on. Beached at the sandbar, I usually take it off. But I'm a none swimmer (while I can probably swim enough to save my life, that is one bet I don't want to come up short on).

I can understand on big boats the risk of falling or being sent overboard is minimal at slow speeds, but if something happens and the boat starts taking on water, do you want to stop and put your jacket on first or get busy fixing the problem if its fixable?

Sharp shooter
03-28-2014, 01:26 PM
From launching the boat to trailering the boat, I have a jacket on. Beached at the sandbar, I usually take it off. But I'm a none swimmer (while I can probably swim enough to save my life, that is one bet I don't want to come up short on).

I can understand on big boats the risk of falling or being sent overboard is minimal at slow speeds, but if something happens and the boat starts taking on water, do you want to stop and put your jacket on first or get busy fixing the problem if its fixable?

You really should consider upping your swimming skills. Not only will you be safer, but you're missing out on a lot of fun. :jumping-smiley-019:

gn7
03-28-2014, 02:28 PM
X3, and too add to that it's awfully hot in the summer wearing one.
I have a full compliment of lifelines and a few token USCG approved vests in my boat in case I'm safety checked.

CH3NO2
Be aware that no Lifeline is USGC approved. You can have 6 Lifelines in the boat and plus all the people wearing them as well, and you still better have enough USGC approved jackets to go around. I KNOW! I got busted about 10 years ago. No explaining in the world about it being a better jacket was going to change the asshole's mind..

You can wear the Lifeline, but there still needs to be enough USGC vests in the boat for everybody on board, INCLUDING YOU

For all those that think doing 100+ in a store bought Walmart vest is fine, guess again. If I can rip the thing off you, the water can do it in a tenth the time at 100+.

GRADS
03-28-2014, 02:34 PM
Which brings up an interesting question....why are Lifelines not USCG approved? I'd much rather have my Lifeline on than one of those suspender type ones.

gn7
03-28-2014, 02:51 PM
Which brings up an interesting question....why are Lifelines not USCG approved? I'd much rather have my Lifeline on than one of those suspender type ones.

Why aren't 5 point Simpson harnesses approved for street. Been busted for that one too.
Why weren't the first Simpson baby car seat approved before they licensed the name to Graco and Gavin? Yep, bust for that one as well, at the same time, 30 years ago.

Because Simpson and Lifeline don't sell enough product to justify the expense approval bullshit, and it would only add to there product liability insurance, Don't know a case where a racer sued Lifeline, and those that tried suing Simpson lost. In fact in one case where Simpson was sued, the plaintiff was court ordered to pick up Simpson attorney fees, as well as the court costs.

If you die wearing a Lifeline when not racing, you'll play hell making a case.

Can you blame them for not going along with the extortion?
http://stevenlesliejohnson.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/02/Jesse-James-Pay-Up-sucker.jpg

Stainless
03-28-2014, 03:39 PM
Be aware that no Lifeline is USGC approved. You can have 6 Lifelines in the boat and plus all the people wearing them as well, and you still better have enough USGC approved jackets to go around. I KNOW! I got busted about 10 years ago. No explaining in the world about it being a better jacket was going to change the asshole's mind..

You can wear the Lifeline, but there still needs to be enough USGC vests in the boat for everybody on board, INCLUDING YOU

For all those that think doing 100+ in a store bought Walmart vest is fine, guess again. If I can rip the thing off you, the water can do it in a tenth the time at 100+.

Yup, that's why I have USCG in addition to lifelines. ;)

CH3NO2

Stainless
03-28-2014, 03:46 PM

My understanding is Lifelines have to be inspected/re certified every so often and the USCG does not trust the consumer to insure it happens. Which leads to the question why not regular vests? I don't know, hopefully KAP or GN7 can answer this.

CH3NO2

SnoC653
03-28-2014, 03:47 PM
You really should consider upping your swimming skills. Not only will you be safer, but you're missing out on a lot of fun. :jumping-smiley-019:

I failed swim class 3 times in the military, something about bone density and no natural buoyancy. I couldn't tread water and when I did a dead man's float my back was 6 or more inches below the surface. The guy working with me agreed that it was not going to happen. I could swim the length of the pool underwater no problem. I just couldn't stay on top of the water and breath.

Since then I've added some natural buoyancy (got old and fat) but don't want to start all over. I wear a vest and have as much fun in the water as anyone. And I'm on the water as much as I can be.