PDA

View Full Version : 2014 Bass Lake Boat Fest - Posted for Classic V-Drive Club Of America's Brian Lynch

JusTrouble
03-26-2014, 05:52 AM
I am re-posting this here from the Boating Events area in hopes that more folks will see it - From Feb 09, 14

2014 Bass Lake Boat Fest - From CVDCOA's Brian Lynch
Hello all! We are back!

Please join us at Bass Lake for the 2014 Bass Lake Boat Fest Show Of Champions in loving memory of the Church Mouse.

Show days are May 16 & 17, Friday & Saturday.

You may arrive on Thursday.

Friday is park em, enjoy each other, swap meet, afternoon Western Style BBQ with music & dancing. Friday evening is the Cackle-Fest with best sounding boat trophy presented in memory of Chris Blevens.

Saturday will be the main show, judging, raffle prizes, High Noon Cackle-Fest and trophies awarded for all classes.

We will have the show participant registration application available soon on the Classic V-Drive Club Of America website and in newsletters.

We are asking all participants to pre-register this year. Please mail in your application by April 1st. If needed, registration will be also be available at the show however.

If you need lodging, the "boat show rate" is $149 a night for chalets. Suites are available at an additional cost.

As always, we are looking for show sponsors. If you would like to help out, please call BL.

Further information and show participant applications are on our website (http://www.v-driveboats.com) or you can contact me if you have questions (Phone listed on the website).

LETS DO IT AGAIN!! BL

JusTrouble
03-26-2014, 05:53 AM
Bringing this back to the top - time to make your plans, pre-registrer for the show so they will have a good head count for t-shirts and the bbq and book your rooms while they are still available

This will be my first opportunity to participate so I am excited about it
I happened across this show years ago by accident and was really impressed - great turnout and lots to see
This time I get to put Dad's Belmont out there
I hope to get Dad to come up and hang out to meet folks and talk about his boat and memories
I hope that everyone who can, will participate

I dont know all the politics or issues that came into play before but I know the show was not held at the lake last year
I heard that these facilities requested this show to return this year
I would love to see it continue (and grow)
I understand costs are always going up but I think a good turnout will help ensure that the show survives and even thrives in the future

Hell, if we dont get some rain around here, this may be the only boating related thing in our area this year
I believe that one of the reasons this show date was moved up to May from the June dates in previous years was a hope that there will still be some water there to play with before it gets sent down the hill

I hear that there will also be some old classic wood boats having a function up there the same weekend
It would be really bitchin if we could turn this into a Central Cal Sturgis type event for boat enthusiasts

As Ive stated, Im new to this and dont know any history, but since the end of June when I got started, Ive been trying to find everything I can regarding boat related fun
I even drove all the way down to Billy-B's bitchin show in Needles and had a great time
While there, I heard that there is another gathering (a single day?) in June at Bass Lake - a Memorial to Chris Blevins at Miller's Landing
Any chance that event could be combined with this one to make it bigger and better for everyone?
We could have the whole lake - The Pines and Millers - more to do, more to see for spectators?
I didnt have the fortune to meet Chris but I met his folks and lots of his friends and got the impression that he was actually a big part of setting up this Bass Lake show for many years
Any reason why we cant make the whole deal combined a memorial to him with this much advance notice?
Just a thought
cya
JT

Lake,an
03-26-2014, 06:44 AM
I don't know if I missed it somewhere,Will you be able to run your boat in the lake?

RogerThat99
03-26-2014, 07:53 AM
I don't know if I missed it somewhere,Will you be able to run your boat in the lake?

Normally you can put your boat in the water and cruise. I don't think you can make full passes / laps. The event was moved from June to May this year. I was told by a reliable source that that there is a wooden boat show / get together at the Pines the same weekend in May, so who knows. I can PM you Brian Lynch's number (he puts this event on) and you can ask him about running your boat.

I know you can run your boat at the Millers Landing event in June.

EDIT: I have it on my Calendar in June, but somehow typed July.

Stainless
03-26-2014, 09:08 AM
This sounds like a fun weekend!

CH3NO2

JusTrouble
03-26-2014, 09:32 AM
All I heard was if there is any water, you will most likely get to run your boat as this is early enough in the season that not too many folks are out there yet, including the ones in uniforms… but ya, call Brian

ptc
03-26-2014, 11:56 AM
Im into going to this if we can get a "group chalet" together.... thats some serious coin for a room!!!!

pm me if interested

JusTrouble
03-26-2014, 07:48 PM
If you call to get a room, make sure you tell them you are a boat show participant to have access to the block of reserved rooms and to get the discount.

Lake,an
03-27-2014, 05:34 AM
Normally you can put your boat in the water and cruise. I don't think you can make full passes / laps. The event was moved from June to May this year. I was told by a reliable source that that there is a wooden boat show / get together at the Pines the same weekend in May, so who knows. I can PM you Brian Lynch's number (he puts this event on) and you can ask him about running your boat.

I know you can run your boat at the Billy B event at Millers Landing in July.

RogerThat,Go ahead and send me that info.I will give him and call and then post what I find out.
Thanks

RogerThat99
03-27-2014, 05:45 AM
Im into going to this if we can get a "group chalet" together.... thats some serious coin for a room!!!!

pm me if interested

I won't able to make it this year Paul. My wife has a race that weekend.

RogerThat99
03-27-2014, 05:47 AM
RogerThat,Go ahead and send me that info.I will give him and call and then post what I find out.
Thanks

PM Sent.

Billy-B
03-27-2014, 06:59 AM
The "Chris Blevens" memorial on June 1st is not my event. This is a Miller's Landing event that started a few yrs back with the "4 sec King" Chris Blevens.help. It is normally held a week before the CVDCOA event at Bass Lake. Bryan has moved his event from June to May. Combining the two events won't be possible. Normally the CVDCOA in June, is when the boat police are back on the water. Causing a lot of the guys to be unable to run there boats due to noise. There is also a one time yearly permit that must be bought before running. Minimum of $60.00. This might be why Bryan moved the date into mid May. No boat cops yet.

At the Millers outting you are allowed to launch at the public launch ramp by the damn. Cruise your boat over to Millers, and either anchor or tie up at one of there many docks. You can run your boat, make passes, etc. But you have to stay in the area from the launch ramp to Millers. And you don't need to pay for the yearly permit.

I still have a lot of the Chris Blevens Memorial shirts for sale. $20.00 plus shipping. Get yours in advance of these two events.. They will also be for sale at the Miller's Landing event. Hope to see you all there...

GotHalos
03-27-2014, 08:52 AM

pm me if interested

How much are rooms?

I've always wanted to check this lake out.

JusTrouble
03-27-2014, 11:08 AM
How much are rooms?

I've always wanted to check this lake out.

Just made my reservation for a Chalet - $149 + $16.39 tax - it has a king bed downstairs, a sofa sleeper upstairs and room for a roll-away - there is a kitchen with pots/pans, refrigerator, stove and a patio with a charcoal bbq pit

I had a bit of trouble getting forwarded to voice mails when I first called. I got frustrated and called Brian who got things straightened out. He says to make sure you tell them you want the rooms held for the v-drive boat show participants and that they shouldnt be trying to forward your call to anyone event coordinators anymore.

And yes, there is a smaller gathering of the Antique and Classic Boat Society there that weekend so there will be lots to see and do.

Looking forward to it

ptc
03-27-2014, 02:14 PM
I won't able to make it this year Paul. My wife has a race that weekend.

I may just end up on a couch like you did on ours last year!!!! thats the cheapest way to go! lol

JT - Ill rent your roll away!

JusTrouble
04-21-2014, 07:51 AM
I spoke with BL the other day and he said that the wood boat guys (Edit: The Antique and Classic Boat Society) that will be there at the same time reached out to him. They are excited to have both events gathering at the same time and asked if there was anything they could do. They are inviting the local Fresno news channels and newspaper to come up to check out the shows. Pretty cool.

It is getting closer. Just over 3 weeks to go. Still room to add boats to the show. Lets get everybody up there, have a good time and keep this event alive!
Cya

Eli
04-21-2014, 08:00 AM
I spoke with BL the other day and he said that the wood boat guys that will be there at the same time reached out to him. They are excited to have both events gathering at the same time and asked if there was anything they could do. They are inviting the local Fresno news channels and newspaper to come up to check out the shows. Pretty cool.

It is getting closer. Just over 3 weeks to go. Still room to add boats to the show. Lets get everybody up there, have a good time and keep this event alive!
Cya

That's great news!!!! It's going to be a fun event for sure!

Sent from my Bat Cave

djunkie
04-21-2014, 09:13 AM
That's great news!!!! It's going to be a fun event for sure!

Sent from my Bat Cave

Have you ever been to Bass Lake?

Eli
04-21-2014, 09:15 AM
Have you ever been to Bass Lake?

No...is it a must see?

Sent from my Bat Cave

HotWater
04-21-2014, 09:34 AM
No...is it a must see?

Sent from my Bat Cave
Have you heard of "Suck My Wake"?:D

Eli
04-21-2014, 09:35 AM
Have you heard of "Suck My Wake"?:D

Um no...but I'm afraid to ask what it means lol

Sent from my Bat Cave

djunkie
No...is it a must see?

Sent from my Bat Cave

It's very cool lake. Been a few times. Kinda small but the scenery is beautiful.

djunkie
Um no...but I'm afraid to ask what it means lol

Sent from my Bat Cave

They filmed parts of The Great Outdoors on Bass Lake.

Eli
04-21-2014, 09:42 AM
They filmed parts of The Great Outdoors on Bass Lake.

I haven't seen that movie.

Does anyone have some pics? I wish I knew I could've stopped there when I was in the area I had 4 hours to kill before my flight.

Sent from my Bat Cave

djunkie
04-21-2014, 09:48 AM

Does anyone have some pics? I wish I knew I could've stopped there when I was in the area I had 4 hours to kill before my flight.

Sent from my Bat Cave

Only pics I have are pre digital camera ones. I haven't been up there in years. Had a lot of good times on that lake. We used to stay at Millers landing.

HotWater
04-21-2014, 09:57 AM

JusTrouble
04-21-2014, 10:19 AM
photos from the same day last year that HotWater's are from - Chris Blevens Memorial
The boat show is on the other side of the lake in these pics

JusTrouble
05-12-2014, 06:04 AM
Well, it is supposed to get up to 103 here in Fresno this week on Thursday and Friday but only be 84 at Bass Lake on Friday and a perfect 80 on Saturday for the show. Should be a nice weekend. Last I heard, we are over 50 boats which is plenty for a good show. Still time to join in and bring your boat up or just come up and enjoy the show. I will have the black and silver 67 Belmont there and Dad will be there too. Really looking forward to it. Stop by and say hi.
JT

K-034
05-13-2014, 02:25 PM

Sent from my Bat Cave

Here you go Eli

Eli
05-13-2014, 02:33 PM
Here you go Eli

👍

Sent from my Bat Cave

JusTrouble
05-15-2014, 04:21 PM
Its time! Finished the boat and took it up to Bass and set it up at the show. Many boats already setting up and lots more on the road going up. Tomorrow should be lots busier. Still room to join in if you are on the fence and the weather is a lot nicer up there than it is here in Fresno. If nothing else, come up Saturday to spectate and visit.
cya
JT

RogerThat99
05-15-2014, 05:31 PM
Here are a couple of pics.

http://www.riverdavesplace.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=201872&stc=1&d=1339451169

JusTrouble
05-15-2014, 06:57 PM
Great pics! Better than their own postcards

GotHalos
05-15-2014, 07:30 PM
I'm trying to convince my co-pilot to make a banzai trip up there!!! These pictures help!! :thumbup:

GotHalos
05-15-2014, 07:59 PM
Is Wishon a good camp spot?

HotWater
05-16-2014, 06:10 AM
Is Wishon a good camp spot?

Wishon is a good camp spot but it's not by Bass Lake.

GotHalos
05-16-2014, 02:29 PM
Wishon is a good camp spot but it's not by Bass Lake.

Looks like I won't be heading out anymore. :(

Hopefully get up there sometime this summer though.

Are you gonna go to the show?

HotWater
05-16-2014, 03:06 PM
Looks like I won't be heading out anymore. :(

Hopefully get up there sometime this summer though.

Are you gonna go to the show?

Yeah I will probably go tomorrow.

GotHalos
05-16-2014, 03:25 PM
Yeah I will probably go tomorrow.

:thumbup:

JusTrouble
05-17-2014, 08:18 AM
Great show! Great turnout. Bitchin variety of v drives. Everybody got involved in the cackle fest last night and it is on again at noon today. Sounded awesome echoing thru the mountains. Perfect weather. Lots of fun with friends last night. Come on up and check it out
cya

JusTrouble
05-20-2014, 06:27 AM
What a great weekend! Took the boat up, got it parked and helped out a bit setting up, then back home. Boats were already showing up. Brought the wife back up Friday morning and there was a steady flow of boats coming in all day. They had music going while everybody was helping each other set up. It got up to about 84 degrees. I ran into some old riding friends I hadnt seen in years and got to visit. Then all my new friends that I met at the Needles show arrived from Northern CA. These folks rock. They know how to travel and how to roll out a feast! I feel like Ive known them for years and really enjoyed spending time with them all weekend. Friday evening we ate the tri-tip AND chicken BBQ dinner, which was really good. They had a large seating area set up for us next to the music. Saturday morning we had spectators arriving at about 9 and there was a steady flow of folks coming and going all day. It got warmer than expected (90 degrees) but up in the pines, it was still very comfortable.

Two things really stood out in my mind about the show: We had a great variety of v-drives show up (I think there was abot 60 boats); and it felt like one big family up there with everybody visiting and helping each other out. Great time

More about my Saturday later

Couple pics now, more later. Sorry, all I had was my little point and shoot and that is all I am qualified to operate.

The first pic is my FAVORITE - Max is cool
I wish I would have also got a shot to Robby - what an impressive young man he was - atta boy Mike - you have a great kid.

This wood deck and interior was awesome

cya

GotHalos
05-20-2014, 12:33 PM
60 boats is an awesome turnout!! I almost went for the banzai trip, next time I will for sure. Thanks for the info and pictures. :thumbup:

JusTrouble
05-21-2014, 04:12 PM
The Pines seemed very focused on accommodating the show and participants. They had banners up, did a great job on the dinner and brought in a couple of young gals from Dos Equis who passed stuff out to the participants, took photos with folks and their boats and handed out trophies. On lady seemed to be with us all weekend just to make sure stuff was running smooth. The rooms were pretty cool too.

The wood boat guys were supposed to do their annual show/Lyons fund raiser there with us, but they were going to be in the water. Unfortunately, the low water level in the lake didnt float enough of the docks at The Pines to accommodate them all but luckily Millers Landing was able to fit them all in across the lake. I stayed too busy to make it across the lake but The Pines did have a shuttle running over to Millers and back so people could attend the wood boat show. The only complaint I heard about the wood boat show was from a few different spectators and participants who said it was tough to find parking over there. I spoke with lots of the wood boat guys while they were looking around thru the v-drive show. They were having a blast and all expressed disappointed that we were not able to have both shows together. One guy told me that he felt the two shows go well together because they show the progression of power boats through history. We all hope for enough water next year to be able to to make it not only more convenient for spectators but provide a better overall experience for everyone.

I dont know if anyone else was taking photos as I kept pretty busy visiting. Lots of my photos were during set up and Im sure I didnt get everybody's boat.
40869408704087140880408814088240883408844088540886 40887408794087840872408734087440875408764087740888

Retired Flatbottom Racer
05-22-2014, 08:36 AM
JT,
Thanks for sharing the pictures with us. Looks like a great time! I want to do this someday...
Hope to see you in September...

HB Vic
05-22-2014, 09:49 AM
JT nice write up and great pics. We appreciate you taking the time to do this!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JusTrouble
05-23-2014, 06:25 AM
Im planning on it RFR!

JusTrouble
05-23-2014, 06:33 AM
And for me, the best part of the show was getting Dad up there. He really enjoyed seeing all the boats together. He has never seen a boat show before so it was exciting to see so many v-drives in one place, and it is damn near in his back yard. After we walked thru the show and saw everything, he rested up in a chair by his old Belmont. Lots of people came by and looked at the poster board in front of it and saw photos of him on it. Normally a pretty quiet guy, he was seen smiling and talking to folks most of the day. He really enjoyed seeing and hearing people appreciating his old toy. That was cool.409264092740928409294093740936409354093440933 40932409314093040938

JusTrouble
05-24-2014, 08:01 AM
Ok, gotta post one more
I wasnt gonna go here but I changed my mind
Im glad that I am fortunate enough to have had this opportunity to share all of this with my Dad

Dad was worn out before the end of the show and missed the trophies being handed out
I was pretty surprised when they gave the Belmont the trophy for Most Original Boat
Ive never even touched a trophy before so it was pretty fun
Thinking about it though, Im not the one who earned it
When Dad was out the other day, I took it over and set it up at his house with a thank you card and a framed pic (my avatar) of us in the boat last summer
I told him that I want him to enjoy having the trophy cause he is the reason his old ski boat is still in the shape it is in, which is why it got the attention
He called when he got home and saw it
He was kinda quiet
I think he was smilin
I know I was
Took this pic tonight but need to get one together with the boat
cya

Sharp shooter
05-25-2014, 05:20 PM
JT great pics and story! Isn't that BL's mighty mouse hydro...? Is that the same 4-71 Caddy he's had since the club started?

It's awesome seeing you spending such quality time with your dad. Doesn't get any better!

JusTrouble
05-25-2014, 07:32 PM
Ya that is his gold flake hydro - I think it has a Pontiac in it?
Im really enjoying how my relationship has evolved with Dad. Been spending lots of time with him.
He loved the videos you gave me. Thanks again for that!