PDA

View Full Version : cause of the puddinstone accident?

efiguy
03-23-2014, 09:57 PM
Does anyone know definitively what caused the accident at puddingstone? Mechanical failure or driver error?

HB Vic
03-24-2014, 06:59 AM
At this point I'm sure its mostly speculation as I understand the cause of the accident is still under investigation.

Eli
03-24-2014, 07:08 AM
If you're seeking facts about the accident, you should contact the investigators. At the completion of the investigation, there will be a full written report.

Unless your seeking opinions, speculation, conjecture, assumptions and baseless theories...well...you asked for it. :)

Edit: I forgot hearsay and rumors.
:D
Sent from my Bat Cave

Paul65K
03-24-2014, 08:08 AM
If you're seeking facts about the accident, you should contact the investigators. At the completion of the investigation, there will be a full written report.

Unless your seeking opinions, speculation, conjecture, assumptions and baseless theories...well...you asked for it. :)

Edit: I forgot hearsay and rumors.
Sent from my Bat Cave

You're such a "Lawyer" sometimes :rolleyes

Eli
03-24-2014, 08:09 AM
You're such a "Lawyer" sometimes :rolleyes

I'm a lawyer all the time :D

Sent from my Bat Cave

2manymustangs
03-24-2014, 08:11 AM
I think that MOST EVERYONE is still in shock over the loss / incident and the freak nature of this one... :(

God Bless the families/friends of the deceased... :(

CampbellCarl
03-24-2014, 12:07 PM
Rumor on the stret is that APBA has suspended all COR division racing until further notice.

Unforgiven
03-24-2014, 12:14 PM
I'm a lawyer all the time :D

Sent from my Bat Cave

Lawyers suck..nobody really likes them.they are all in bed together and only look out for themselves.....I can see why you became a lawyer..

Eli
03-24-2014, 12:16 PM
Lawyers suck..nobody really likes them.they are all in bed together and only look out for themselves.....I can see why you became a lawyer..

Did you forget your smilie face or did you mean the personal attack?

Sent from my Bat Cave

Unforgiven
03-24-2014, 12:18 PM
Did you forget your smilie face or did you mean the personal attack?

Sent from my Bat Cave

im trying to give you smiles...but that might have to wait until Im get home to my own computer..work blocks some of the stuff I can do...

;)

;)

Eli
03-24-2014, 12:19 PM
;)

;)

Oh good, I didn't want to drive to SCV today to remind you how much you love me!
;)

Sent from my Bat Cave

Unforgiven
03-24-2014, 12:21 PM
Oh good, I didn't want to drive to SCV today to remind you how much you love me!
;)

Sent from my Bat Cave

here we go with that LOVE word again....sorry But I'm not that easy

ONE-A-DAY
03-24-2014, 12:47 PM
Rumor on the stret is that APBA has suspended all COR division racing until further notice.

Not a rumor, it's official.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Eli
03-24-2014, 12:51 PM
here we go with that LOVE word again....sorry But I'm not that easy

Sorry, I wasn't trying to start a fight between you and Westernaero. We can go back to pretending you don't LOVE me ;)

Sent from my Bat Cave

rivergames
03-24-2014, 12:52 PM
Gotta be tough for APBA to try and get insurance now to cover other races

CampbellCarl
03-24-2014, 12:53 PM
Not a rumor, it's official.

I had it on VERY GOOD authority but I like to protect myself from an Eli lawsuit by using "Rumor' as my first word.....

Eli
03-24-2014, 12:56 PM
I had it on VERY GOOD authority but I like to protect myself from an Eli lawsuit by using "Rumor' as my first word.....

I wouldn't sue you!

Sent from my Bat Cave

2manymustangs
03-24-2014, 01:32 PM

Is that your Indemnification clause CC??? :)

gn7
03-24-2014, 01:40 PM
Gotta be tough for APBA to try and get insurance now to cover other races

Not really.
What is possibly at issue is allowing "local club classes" which is what COR is. Same with the nostie races. That's why I think they suspended running them until further notice. There have been more than a few deaths in boat racing in the past. But they haven't suspended any APBA classes that I know of.

There is no APBA approved rules regarding COR boats, specially on safety. You can't go to the APBA rule book and see what the boats construction and rigging rules are.

So what are the rules regarding say....steering? And who is in charge of inspecting the boats?
I think these are the things the APBA is looking at, and how they are going to handle these classes in the future, if they allow them to run at all.

ONE-A-DAY
03-24-2014, 01:48 PM
Not really.
What is possibly at issue is allowing "local club classes" which is what COR is. Same with the nostie races. That's why I think they suspended running them until further notice. There have been more than a few deaths in boat racing in the past. But they haven't suspended any APBA classes that I know of.

There is no APBA approved rules regarding COR boats, specially on safety. You can't go to the APBA rule book and see what the boats construction and rigging rules are.

So what are the rules regarding say....steering? And who is in charge of inspecting the boats?
I think these are the things the APBA is looking at, and how they are going to handle these classes in the future, if they allow them to run at all.

Exactly. When I raced COR nobody inspected my boat.

K-034
03-24-2014, 03:23 PM
This is what I was sent from APBA

Sanction Links:

http://www.apba-racing.com/internal/show_sanction.php?EditID=12370

CIRCULAR FOR: 4/4-5/14 Parker AZ

This email is being sent to let all know COR has been removed from this event.
The Board of Directors has placed COR on hold until further notice due to safety considerations.

Stainless
03-24-2014, 03:41 PM
General question to anyone with knowledge, are there problems or concerns with COR?
I've been on the COR website bf, I got the impression they have their own club. Does this decision impact all COR racing or just the Spring race at Parker?

CH3NO2

ONE-A-DAY
03-24-2014, 03:53 PM
General question to anyone with knowledge, are there problems or concerns with COR?
I've been on the COR website bf, I got the impression they have their own club. Does this decision impact all COR racing or just the Spring race at Parker?

CH3NO2

The decision is for COR in all regions. And it is until further notice. Based on my experience with how fast the APBA moves, it's my opinion and that of others that the season is over.

COR comes from the checkered past of mod vp so they were the red headed stepchildren of the APBA even before the first COR boat hit the water. It took years to even get provisional status, COR isn't officially an APBA class yet, they run under the banner of "special events". There were and are many in the APBA that don't want any format of mod vp back on the course.

Stainless
03-24-2014, 03:56 PM
The decision is for COR in all regions. And it is until further notice. Based on my experience with how fast the APBA moves, it's my opinion and that of others that the season is over.

Thanks, that sucks for a group of grass roots people to possibly not be able to race.

CH3NO2

ONE-A-DAY
03-24-2014, 04:00 PM
Thanks, that sucks for a group of grass roots people to possibly not be able to race.

CH3NO2

It also sucks if own a COR boat that can't be raced. Your only option is to spend money to convert it back to a ski boat, ie the same money you spent to change it to a race boat.

I think SST 45 would be a great home for the COR guys, many have expressed interest in trying it but they just can't fit in the boats. It's been done before but if your north of 170 pounds it becomes quite a struggle.

gn7
03-24-2014, 04:09 PM

CH3NO2
All the classes have there own organizational "group" . Its not as though they are like the APBA. The Super Stocks have their group, the Pro Stocks have theirs, the GN, 45 tunnels, Crackers, both APBA and Lucas.
The APBA's decision could have an major effect on the class. One, its a not a APBA recognized class, it runs as a local "club" class with the approval of the APBA. Not all sponsoring clubs and promoters that put on the races recognize them, and they can only race at events that are willing to put them on the schedule.
The Nostaglia classes are/were the same way.

I don't know if its a safety concern with the boats themselves, or the APBA is rethinking the idea of allowing "local classes" to run under their sanctions. Either way it could kill the class. If its a boat safety issue, and the ABPA decides to take matters into their own hands, it could be the end of the class. The COR group had a safety meeting to be pro-active in placating the APBA, but I think it could be too little too late. The class is kind of a rag tag group of mismatch hull types with a common engine size. It a VERY low budget class, and most of the guys are not interested in spending any money on a something the APBA may hand down as a safety rule. No different than if the APBA handed down some sweeping rule change on the Nostalgia inboards.
The local "club" classes are pretty much left up to the club to regulate them. That may change in the future, and the changes could be the end of "local" classes. Not just the COR

Stainless
03-24-2014, 04:10 PM
It also sucks if own a COR boat that can't be raced. Your only option is to spend money to convert it back to a ski boat, ie the same money you spent to change it to a race boat.

I think SST 45 would be a great home for the COR guys, many have expressed interest in trying it but they just can't fit in the boats. It's been done before but if your north of 170 pounds it becomes quite a struggle.

This was my thought in the background, the COR guys can only sit on their hands till it's resolved.

On the SST45, you seem like a shoehorn fit yourself bc of height. :D

CH3NO2

Stainless
03-24-2014, 04:13 PM
All the classes have there own organizational "group" . Its not as though they are like the APBA. The Super Stocks have their group, the Pro Stocks have theirs, the GN, 45 tunnels, Crackers, both APBA and Lucas.
The APBA's decision could have an major effect on the class. One, its a not a APBA recognized class, it runs as a local "club" class with the approval of the APBA. Not all sponsoring clubs and promoters that put on the races recognize them, and they can only race at events that are willing to put them on the schedule.
The Nostaglia classes are/were the same way.

I don't know if its a safety concern with the boats themselves, or the APBA is rethinking the idea of allowing "local classes" to run under their sanctions. Either way it could kill the class. If its a boat safety issue, and the ABPA decides to take matters into their own hands, it could be the end of the class. The COR group had a safety meeting to be pro-active in placating the APBA, but I think it could be too little too late. The class is kind of a rag tag group of mismatch hull types with a common engine size. It a VERY low budget class, and most of the guys are not interested in spending any money on a something the APBA may hand down as a safety rule. No different than if the APBA handed down some sweeping rule change on the Nostalgia inboards.
The local "club" classes are pretty much left up to the club to regulate them. That may change in the future, and the changes could be the end of "local" classes. ]

Thanks Bob! I know this is a class were many get a start and springboard to something faster if they achieve some success.

CH3NO2

ONE-A-DAY
03-24-2014, 04:14 PM
This was my thought in the background, the COR guys can only sit on their hands till it's resolved.

On the SST45, you seem like a shoehorn fit yourself bc of height. :D

CH3NO2

My new one is a palace inside compared to my old one. 1.5 inches wider, I get lost in the capsule now :)

gn7
03-24-2014, 04:22 PM
Thanks Bob! I know this is a class were many get a start and springboard to something faster if they achieve some success.

CH3NO2

Really? Belda was 65. The guy that started this class was standing at Plymouth rock when the pilgrims landed. More like a class for those living out there mid life crisis and 2nd childhood.

K-034
03-24-2014, 09:34 PM
The C.O.R deal I think is a great deal. What happened at Pudingstone was a freak accident that could have happened in any class at any event. I don't think that slaming the whole C.O.R oganization or cutting them out is the way to go. This class is based on a run what you brung deal, which is how boat racing started. I think the whole C.O.R. organization needs to set safty rules in affect as to what a good competitive boat should be, just like any other APBA class. This class is an entry level, and affodable class that can get anyone into the sport that loves it.

We as drivers know the risk we take every time we get in the boat. We do this because we love it, and the people we meet involved with it. It's like a big family, regardless of the class or type of boat that competes

gn7
03-24-2014, 10:15 PM
The C.O.R deal I think is a great deal. What happened at Pudingstone was a freak accident that could have happened in any class at any event. I don't think that slaming the whole C.O.R oganization or cutting them out is the way to go. This class is based on a run what you brung deal, which is how boat racing started. I think the whole C.O.R. organization needs to set safty rules in affect as to what a good competitive boat should be, just like any other APBA class. This class is an entry level, and affodable class that can get anyone into the sport that loves it.

We as drivers know the risk we take every time we get in the boat. We do this because we love it, and the people we meet involved with it. It's like a big family, regardless of the class or type of boat that competes
I agree Chris. I just think there may not be enough attention to the boat safety. The majority of the boats are not race boats, or owned by racers. I get an uneasy feeling they may have forgone some things in the boats riggings to avoid boat fallout due to cost.
They went thru the same thing when they CJs finally woke up and required the boats be full stringer. They always should have been, but because some of them ste pped up from the nostalgia class, they were given a free pass because they didn't want to turn boats away. They did the right thing, regardless how many boats it cut from the program. As far as I know, they don't allow a single push/pull steering cable either. Do the COR boats???

You can't show up with a football helmet and jet ski vest. The boat needs to meet certain requirements as well. I have never seen what those requirements are and who decided what they are. The fact they allow virtually any hulls so long as the motor is the correct size is a little troublesome to me as well. Every other class has pretty well spelled out hulls types. COR boats cover the entire spectrum of hull designs. It can make for some interesting turns to say the least.

ONE-A-DAY
03-24-2014, 11:04 PM
I agree Chris. I just think there may not be enough attention to the boat safety. The majority of the boats are not race boats, or owned by racers. I get an uneasy feeling they may have forgone some things in the boats riggings to avoid boat fallout due to cost.
They went thru the same thing when they CJs finally woke up and required the boats be full stringer. They always should have been, but because some of them ste pped up from the nostalgia class, they were given a free pass because they didn't want to turn boats away. They did the right thing, regardless how many boats it cut from the program. As far as I know, they don't allow a single push/pull steering cable either. Do the COR boats???

You can't show up with a football helmet and jet ski vest. The boat needs to meet certain requirements as well. I have never seen what those requirements are and who decided what they are. The fact they allow virtually any hulls so long as the motor is the correct size is a little troublesome to me as well. Every other class has pretty well spelled out hulls types. COR boats cover the entire spectrum of hull designs. It can make for some interesting turns to say the least.

There are no steering requirements in the COR rules, some guys use hydraulic, some cable, some push pull family cruiser cable crap.

gn7
03-24-2014, 11:36 PM
There are no steering requirements in the COR rules, some guys use hydraulic, some cable, some push pull family cruiser cable crap.

That's a problem. Single cable with a cast tiller bolted to the engine doesn't cut it with boats side by side in a turn. Not saying that's what happened, saying could if its allowed to continue. The rules call for a cable pulley, double push/pull, or hydraulic. Nothing really wrong with any of those. A single push/pull if allowed could be deadly.

I don't really know the solution, but you can't just turn a blind eye to some stuff in a effort to get anybody and everybody on the water. The boat it encounters when something fails maybe yours. I know its a grand idea, and we all want to see as many as possible get involved, but it still has to be safe, FOR EVERYBODY INVOLVED.

I wouldn't be surprised that the "rules" as written aren't what the APBA is looking at. What they do about it is anybody's guess.

ONE-A-DAY
03-24-2014, 11:48 PM
That's a problem. Single cable with a cast tiller bolted to the engine doesn't cut it with boats side by side in a turn. Not saying that's what happened, saying could if its allowed to continue.
I don't really know the solution, but you can't just turn a blind eye to some stuff in a effort to get anybody and everybody on the water. The boat it encounters when something fails maybe yours.

I wouldn't be surprised that the "rules" as written aren't what the APBA is looking at. What they do about it is anybody's guess.

Greg's boat was one of the best rigged boats out there. He had all of the good parts, and spared no expense to be fast.