PDA

View Full Version : Florida house build

Kenny D
03-21-2014, 12:15 PM
We started a house on Sept.1st in Southwest Florida on this lot.I thought I would share some pictures.We are learning about boating in Florida.I am use to boating the Pacific ocean and the lakes of the Colorado river.I am sure Joey 314 can educate me.

riverrunner1984
03-21-2014, 12:20 PM
Looks like a great place to have a house. Looking forward to progress pics.

314joey
03-21-2014, 12:28 PM
Where you at KD, it looks familiar, if I can help I surely will.

Wendi
03-21-2014, 12:32 PM
I believe he's on the Isle of Capri. Kenny lets see the build. Last pics you showed me you were progressing along nicely. The views are spectacular!

Eli
03-21-2014, 12:33 PM
I love all these house build threads! Thanks for sharing!

Sent from my Bat Cave

GotHalos
03-21-2014, 12:34 PM
Subscribed! Looks like an awesome location. :thumbup:

Did you buy a boat yet?

Kenny D
03-21-2014, 12:40 PM
We are on Isles of Capri,it is three small islands next to Marco Island
Where you at KD, it looks familiar, if I can help I surely will.

Kenny D
03-21-2014, 12:51 PM
We have 28' Daytona Eliminator in Havasu,but only have a couple of Seadoos in Florida
Subscribed! Looks like an awesome location. :thumbup:

Did you buy a boat yet?

Kenny D
03-21-2014, 01:11 PM
The house is built on piles that are driven into ground 28' to 40'.The first level is all poured in place concrete and block wall.They build there like no place I have ever seen

78Southwind
03-21-2014, 01:24 PM
Pretty Cool...:action-smiley-035:

314joey
03-21-2014, 01:29 PM
It's not like building back home in Missouri (LOTO), you're only about an hour boat ride South of us, you gonna bring your Eliminator out or are you looking to get something else, if I'm being nosey just tell me.

I've got my own ideas what boat works best around these parts.

28eliminator
03-21-2014, 02:09 PM
Very nice location!! This should be a fun thread

Sent from somewhere on the water

2manymustangs
03-21-2014, 02:18 PM
It's not like building back home in Missouri (LOTO), you're only about an hour boat ride South of us, you gonna bring your Eliminator out or are you looking to get something else, if I'm being nosey just tell me.

Jim, I really enjoy seeing the different methods/site prep that are used around the U.S... MANY variations used across the states based on temps/sub soils/architectures... I love it...

When my inlaws were building two of their houses in SoCal it was really cool to see the "UNDER TENSION cable system" that is used to "earthquake proof" the footing/foundation/floors...

Kenny, it looks very interesting... Please keep the pics coming... :)

Kenny D
03-21-2014, 02:27 PM
For now the Eliminator is staying in Havasu.I have looked at center consoles and 33' to 40' sun sport formula.My wife said...... furniture before boat.....,so i will take a while and learn what kind of boating we are going to be doing there.I would like your thoughts on what kind of boat.

Kenny D
03-21-2014, 02:46 PM
The first two pics are the second level back patio and pool before the concrete pour.Third pic is after the pour from my neighbors dock.The first level is all garage.

2manymustangs
03-21-2014, 02:49 PM
SHeeeeeeeeeeeeeeet, thats alot of steel... Thats the way I like to see it!!! :thumb:

Do it once, do it right... :)

niceguyeddie
03-21-2014, 04:02 PM
Wow! I guess they build those things to withstand hurricanes!

Awesome piece of property there!

Kenny D
03-21-2014, 04:15 PM
Hard to believe but all windows and doors are rated to 170 MPH
Wow! I guess they build those things to withstand hurricanes!

Awesome piece of property there!

Kenny D
03-21-2014, 04:22 PM
This is part way though the build.First 2 pics are front of house last pic is back of house.

78Southwind
03-21-2014, 04:34 PM
The first level is all garage.

Now we're talking.

78Southwind
03-21-2014, 04:36 PM
Pull through garage...very nice.:yes:

314joey
03-21-2014, 04:56 PM
Looks like you've got the first floor high enough for the flood plain and possible storm surge, god forbid, we're looking at taking our Formula back to LOTO and getting a performance CC (32'-36') for down here, that's the type of boat that works for us for down here, easy to take in the shallows, easy to beach and easy to clean, that's what I'm looking for, more beer drinking time.

The build is looking nice.

niceguyeddie
03-21-2014, 05:15 PM
Hard to believe but all windows and doors are rated to 170 MPH

Holy Smokes! How many sf will the house be?

Paul65K
03-21-2014, 05:56 PM
Looks like you've got the first floor high enough for the flood plain and possible storm surge

So when you you build it like this (first floor above the storm surge) do you just take everything out of the garage and let it fill-up during and eventually drain later?? :yikes:.......hard to imagine for a west coast guy like me but makes sense if I got it right???

Singleton
03-21-2014, 05:59 PM
So when you you build it like this (first floor above the storm surge) do you just take everything out of the garage and let it fill-up during and eventually drain later?? :yikes:.......hard to imagine for a west coast guy like me but makes sense if I got it right???

You usually don't have enough time to move things out, but the thought is only a few things get water logged.
Grandparents old house in the keys was built like that, only the car, boat and tools stayed in the garage. Everything else was up 1 floor and safe.

78Southwind
03-21-2014, 06:13 PM
It's actually a really good idea, especially on the river. Our condo complex is built with the garages only on the first floor. When the Colorado river flooded in the mid 1980's the water reached a couple inches with in the garages. The joke was that the condos were sinking when the water was just really high. Needles got hit really bad.

Kenny D
03-22-2014, 09:15 AM
The house is 3280 sf and the garage is 2040 sf
Holy Smokes! How many sf will the house be?

Kenny D
03-22-2014, 09:29 AM
The views from the 3rd level bedroom balcony.

HB Vic
03-22-2014, 09:30 AM
Wow that's a beautiful home! Congrats!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2manymustangs
03-22-2014, 09:45 AM
The house is 3280 sf and the garage is 2040 sf

Ive been watching some of the rebuilds on the east coast where the houses are sitting on TALL piers and the first floor walls are framed/built to blow right out in the event of a surge like NJ / NY was hit with...

I keep looking at LOW LOW LOW areas like Seal Beach/LB/Naples/Belmot shores/SanPedro-port and wonder what happens when the big surge happens in SoCal... :(

Nice project there sir... :)

Kenny D
03-22-2014, 10:17 AM
You can see in this picture that they vent the bottom level should we ever have a surge.That platform is for the air condition units.
Ive been watching some of the rebuilds on the east coast where the houses are sitting on TALL piers and the first floor walls are framed/built to blow right out in the event of a surge like NJ / NY was hit with...

I keep looking at LOW LOW LOW areas like Seal Beach/LB/Naples/Belmot shores and wonder what happens when the big surge happens... :(

Nice project there sir... :)

314joey
03-22-2014, 10:20 AM
When you get her done and get a boat, come on up North a few miles and we'll meet you guys for lunch at the Fish House.

From last Friday.

Kenny D
03-22-2014, 10:25 AM
Sounds good....is that cape coral area.
When you get her done and get a boat, come on up North a few miles and we'll meet you guys for lunch at the Fish House.

From last Friday.

314joey
03-22-2014, 05:22 PM
Sounds good....is that cape coral area.

We live in SW Cape over by Cape Harbour/Rummrunners, but the Fish House is on Estero Blvd about 6 mile South of Ft. Myers beach.

Taboma
03-23-2014, 09:19 AM
Not to be intruding, but being a life long boater of the Big Blue and AZ river area, I've always had a real desire to live in Florida with a dock just out my back door. Back in the late 60's I had a great buddy I grew up with move from the OC to Del Ray Beach. His family bought a home just off the ICW, my buddy worked at a local marina and commuted using his 17' Boston Whaler. When I'd visit we'd always take his ole man's motorsailer with the whaler in tow and head for Bimini or Grand Bahama Isl.

Moving towards my question, after Kenny D's post and numerous posts and pics from 314 Joey, you guys are killing me here !!! I checked out Isle of Capri using google aerials, also all the way up and down the gulf coast at least up towards Sanibel Island where my wife and I spent a week with a rental boat back in the early 90's.
So where should I be looking, keeping in mind I'm retired, my wife, although a bit younger won't need to work but may want to, she enjoys it, so I'm not looking for million dollar mansions. But more of a 1,500 sf or so 2 bdrm home on a canal let's say. I did notice some canal homes up the Cape Coral area that appear as if it might require all day to reach deep open water, strange.

Which areas should I be focusing on ?

Gulf side versus Atlantic ? I loved the Bahamas, but we really enjoyed scooting around the ICW on the gulf side, lots to explore there.
Kenny D, if I might ask, why Isle of Capri over let's say Marcos Island ? --- I'm just looking for general info, not trying to be snoopy, but obviously you wouldn't be investing this much into such an awesome home without doing so serious homework.

Can a person ENJOY Florida living year round ? We've only vacationed there Nov through Jan, staying on both coasts, Panama City and Key West, so we've traveled around it, just never lived there.

Is summer Floriday more like summer Havasu during the monsoons ?

I promise not to turn this into any kind of debate, hopefully others won't either, just seeking some insight only a local can provide :D

Kenny D -- seems your awesome new home is about the only one in the area built up to afford surge protection, preference or code ? Love your place and thanks to you now I'm losing what's left of my mind ---- at least my wife thinks so :action-smiley-060:

Kenny D
03-23-2014, 10:45 AM
Taboma......Joey has much more experience than myself in Florida.Marco Island vs Capri....Marco is more expensive......Marco is busier,Capri is a small laid back area,but We can be on Marco in 10 mins or in Naples 20 mins.Naples has every store and business you would find in So Cal......East coast vs Southwest Florida, East coast is bigger city Southwest less Congested.....Sanibel is a great Island more expensive,but a cool place.Capri is direct access...which means no bridges or locks to go thru or under,bridges affects the size of boat you can have.I am a Calif. guy,but I was looking for something different....living year round I don,t know yet I have been in Florida every month except July and Aug.My worries are..... BUGS and Heat/humidity in those two months every other month has been GREAT!!!....some people say it is great... some people say not so great.I have spent many a summer in Havasu at 118 to 125 it can be tough.Capri has a large variety of homes.... the new codes in Florida it made sense, to us to build a three story house with a great garage.We love Havasu and will keep our trailer there.My wife and I were just ready for an adventure.I hope I answer some of your questions.
Not to be intruding, but being a life long boater of the Big Blue and AZ river area, I've always had a real desire to live in Florida with a dock just out my back door. Back in the late 60's I had a great buddy I grew up with move from the OC to Del Ray Beach. His family bought a home just off the ICW, my buddy worked at a local marina and commuted using his 17' Boston Whaler. When I'd visit we'd always take his ole man's motorsailer with the whaler in tow and head for Bimini or Grand Bahama Isl.

Moving towards my question, after Kenny D's post and numerous posts and pics from 314 Joey, you guys are killing me here !!! I checked out Isle of Capri using google aerials, also all the way up and down the gulf coast at least up towards Sanibel Island where my wife and I spent a week with a rental boat back in the early 90's.
So where should I be looking, keeping in mind I'm retired, my wife, although a bit younger won't need to work but may want to, she enjoys it, so I'm not looking for million dollar mansions. But more of a 1,500 sf or so 2 bdrm home on a canal let's say. I did notice some canal homes up the Cape Coral area that appear as if it might require all day to reach deep open water, strange.

Which areas should I be focusing on ?

Gulf side versus Atlantic ? I loved the Bahamas, but we really enjoyed scooting around the ICW on the gulf side, lots to explore there.
Kenny D, if I might ask, why Isle of Capri over let's say Marcos Island ? --- I'm just looking for general info, not trying to be snoopy, but obviously you wouldn't be investing this much into such an awesome home without doing so serious homework.

Can a person ENJOY Florida living year round ? We've only vacationed there Nov through Jan, staying on both coasts, Panama City and Key West, so we've traveled around it, just never lived there.

Is summer Floriday more like summer Havasu during the monsoons ?

I promise not to turn this into any kind of debate, hopefully others won't either, just seeking some insight only a local can provide :D

Kenny D -- seems your awesome new home is about the only one in the area built up to afford surge protection, preference or code ? Love your place and thanks to you now I'm losing what's left of my mind ---- at least my wife thinks so :action-smiley-060:

Taboma
03-23-2014, 01:08 PM
Appreciate the response and your observations Kenny,
What you've revealed matches my basic conclusions --- well more like thoughts really, after spending a good amount of time checking the google aerial imaging and various listings in the area. I also liked the more remote setting of Capri versus Marcos.
Many years ago we both enjoyed and endured the Havasu summers, now we tend to use our place later Sept. thru early June. Let the youngsters play in the summer heat.
I'm 100% onboard with the "Adventure" aspect, that and a love for boating I believe is what's motivating me to try something / someplace different.
Hopefully Joey will chime in, plus I'll be looking forward to any updates on your adventure.
Good for you and yours :thumbsUp:

Kenny D
03-23-2014, 02:20 PM
we put in two sets of 10 ft x 12ft stacking pocket doors in the great room on second level.Also a set of 8ft x 12ft pocket doors in the bedroom on level three.

Kenny D
03-23-2014, 02:30 PM
The pool is on the second level.Last picture is what the spa looks like from the garage.

314joey
03-23-2014, 02:49 PM
Nice looking set-up Kenny, are you guys doing anything about shutters or are you waiting for a later date, I don't want to hi-jack your build thread with any of my stuff, there's a new house going up a few doors down and it's cool to see how they pour the concrete around re-bar in the concrete blocks, I'll start something new about what we did when we moved down here with the house re-model and new dock and stuff, your new place coming along nicely.

Are you guys coming fulltime or parttime, we're staying here 8-9 months and back at LOTO for the Summers.

Kenny D
03-23-2014, 04:10 PM
No shutters....we are told that the new windows are high impact 170 mph rated.We are putting in power screens instead of a cage that will not cover the pool,but will cover part of the patio and we can still open all the sliders.We plan to be part time now and see what makes sense for us.The amount of steel and concrete is pretty amazing because of the new codes.We are in permitting for the dock,hopefully we will have a dock in May.
Nice looking set-up Kenny, are you guys doing anything about shutters or are you waiting for a later date, I don't want to hi-jack your build thread with any of my stuff, there's a new house going up a few doors down and it's cool to see how they pour the concrete around re-bar in the concrete blocks, I'll start something new about what we did when we moved down here with the house re-model and new dock and stuff, your new place coming along nicely.

Are you guys coming fulltime or parttime, we're staying here 8-9 months and back at LOTO for the Summers.

78Southwind
03-23-2014, 07:08 PM
Amazing build, can't wait to see it finished.

GotHalos
03-23-2014, 11:02 PM
Second-level pool, now that's how you do it. :thumbup:

Kenny D
03-25-2014, 04:42 PM
They wrapped the house and are putting Hardie board on the sides of the house.......Hardie board is a material that is fiber board concrete it looks like old time wood siding,but more durable.Drywall started Last Monday they say 2 weeks to finish the drywall.

Eli
03-25-2014, 04:44 PM
Looks great!!! Can't wait to see the final!

Sent from my Bat Cave

314joey
03-25-2014, 04:57 PM
Hardie board is definitely hardy, coming along nicely.