03-17-2014, 02:32 PM
Should have bought another Chevy. :(

2manymustangs
03-17-2014, 02:33 PM
What broke?

niceguyeddie
03-17-2014, 02:44 PM
What broke?

While driving on the 40 last Thursday night the water temp gauge pegged hot, oil light came on and the truck went into limp mode. I pulled to the side of the road and the truck showed no signs over overheating. I turned the key and the temp went to normal and the truck drove fine. 20 miles later it happens again. I pull over, turn the truck off, turn it back on and back to normal. This happened about 15 times between Newburry Springs and Needles. I figured it was a bad temp sending unit so I tried to disconnect it but the problem persisted. I ended up parking in my buddy's river house driveway in Needles and sleeping in the back seat. It was 2am by then and I was tired.

The next morning I fire the truck up, grab my boat out of storage and and head to Havasu. All is good. Later that day I'm driving to Interstate Batteries from the Islander and it happens again. So I stop at Orielly's and pick up a new sending unit, plug it in and boom, it happens again. So I called Ford in town and they said they couldn't touch it til Monday. I then called Tri-Tech Auto and they said to bring her in. The guys there were awesome BTW! I told them I was en-route to get batteries and they had Interstate deliver to their shop! .....So they plug it in and its showing a code for the cylinder head temp sending unit ( I didn't know one existed). So they replace it, clear the code and it seems fine. We go to back out of the garage for a test ride and boom. Temp gauge pegs and truck goes into limp mode. Plug it back in and we get a misfire code. #6 misfired 86 times and #10 showed only one. So they replace the coil on #6, clear the codes and the truck drove great all weekend! Last night I'm headed north on the 95 (just passing the airport) and it happens again! So I unplugged the head temp sending unit and made it all the way home with out going into limp mode and the temp gauge pegging hot.

I have no clue what the hell to do next. Anyone know a good Ford Tech around OC?

HB Vic
03-17-2014, 03:03 PM
If its just sensor hell you're lucky.

Not sure if you're on The Diesel Stop, but I'm sure they know who the good ones are.

Sensors are a bitch. But if there's nothing mechanically wrong, you're in luck.

SnoC653
03-17-2014, 03:15 PM
If they replaced the sensor, it could easily be a shorted wire. Take a VOM and check the wires to the head temp sensor.

2manymustangs
03-17-2014, 03:36 PM
While driving on the 40 last Thursday night the water temp gauge pegged hot, oil light came on and the truck went into limp mode. I pulled to the side of the road and the truck showed no signs over overheating. I turned the key and the temp went to normal and the truck drove fine. 20 miles later it happens again. I pull over, turn the truck off, turn it back on and back to normal. This happened about 15 times between Newburry Springs and Needles. I figured it was a bad temp sending unit so I tried to disconnect it but the problem persisted. I ended up parking in my buddy's river house driveway in Needles and sleeping in the back seat. It was 2am by then and I was tired.

The next morning I fire the truck up, grab my boat out of storage and and head to Havasu. All is good. Later that day I'm driving to Interstate Batteries from the Islander and it happens again. So I stop at Orielly's and pick up a new sending unit, plug it in and boom, it happens again. So I called Ford in town and they said they couldn't touch it til Monday. I then called Tri-Tech Auto and they said to bring her in. The guys there were awesome BTW! I told them I was en-route to get batteries and they had Interstate deliver to their shop! .....So they plug it in and its showing a code for the cylinder head temp sending unit ( I didn't know one existed). So they replace it, clear the code and it seems fine. We go to back out of the garage for a test ride and boom. Temp gauge pegs and truck goes into limp mode. Plug it back in and we get a misfire code. #6 misfired 86 times and #10 showed only one. So they replace the coil on #6, clear the codes and the truck drove great all weekend! Last night I'm headed north on the 95 (just passing the airport) and it happens again! So I unplugged the head temp sending unit and made it all the way home with out going into limp mode and the temp gauge pegging hot.

I have no clue what the hell to do next. Anyone know a good Ford Tech around OC?

I would invest in a code scanner OR better yet, the OBD tool (plugs in service port)/software that you can monitor real time with your smartphone...

Was there any actual sign of the truck really getting hot OR do you suspect electronics/sensors/wiring?

I would think that there would be codes for o2 sensors if there was an injector issue and the misfire issues if it was a really bad misfire... Just a guess...

Not much you can do these days without a good scan tool...

Hi, Bruce. Here are some links for Torque Pro. http://reviews.cnet.com/8301-13746_7-57465455-48/monitor-your-cars-performance-with-the-torque-app-for-android/ http://torque-bhp.com/wiki/Main_Page http://torque-bhp.com/obdforum/obd2/wpforumaction/viewforum/f/1.0 http://www.obdii.com/ Have fun.

http://youtu.be/oBhNC5r-8Ac

GRADS
03-17-2014, 03:57 PM
Welcome to the club! Misery loves company. ;)

K-034
03-17-2014, 04:09 PM
If it's a 6.0 it might have a blown head gasket. Check the water level in the radiator, I had a 07 that blew the head gasket and it did the same thing to me, coolant goes out the exhaust which reads a misfire in the cylnders. Hopefully thats not the case for you

niceguyeddie
03-17-2014, 04:45 PM
If its just sensor hell you're lucky.

Not sure if you're on The Diesel Stop, but I'm sure they know who the good ones are.

Sensors are a bitch. But if there's nothing mechanically wrong, you're in luck.

I hope it's just electrical.

I posted there earlier today.

If they replaced the sensor, it could easily be a shorted wire. Take a VOM and check the wires to the head temp sensor.

Good idea!

I would invest in a code scanner OR better yet, the OBD tool (plugs in service port)/software that you can monitor real time with your smartphone...

Was there any actual sign of the truck really getting hot OR do you suspect electronics/sensors/wiring?

I would think that there would be codes for o2 sensors if there was an injector issue and the misfire issues if it was a really bad misfire... Just a guess...

Not much you can do these days without a good scan tool...

Hi, Bruce. Here are some links for Torque Pro. http://reviews.cnet.com/8301-13746_7-57465455-48/monitor-your-cars-performance-with-the-torque-app-for-android/ http://torque-bhp.com/wiki/Main_Page http://torque-bhp.com/obdforum/obd2/wpforumaction/viewforum/f/1.0 http://www.obdii.com/ Have fun.

http://youtu.be/oBhNC5r-8Ac

I'll look into it a scan tool. I had one for my Chevy.

It didn't seem to be getting hot and when Tri-Tec monitored it with their computer it was showing normal temps.

Welcome to the club! Misery loves company. ;)

lol

If it's a 6.0 it might have a blown head gasket. Check the water level in the radiator, I had a 07 that blew the head gasket and it did the same thing to me, coolant goes out the exhaust which reads a misfire in the cylnders. Hopefully thats not the case for you

It's a V10. I didn't buy a 6.0 because I didn't want problems. Go figure!

2manymustangs
03-17-2014, 04:53 PM
Hang in there, your just getting all of the bugs worked out of her... ;)

OhPoleez
03-17-2014, 08:52 PM
I had a Ford once. Once. That was enough. Never go back. BTW, sorry for all your troubles. Hope it gets better.

HB Vic
03-17-2014, 09:04 PM
I had a Ford once. Once. That was enough. Never go back. BTW, sorry for all your troubles. Hope it gets better.

Lol welcome to www.hotboat.com (http://www.hotboat.com)

rschap1
03-18-2014, 11:18 AM
You visit ford-trucks.com yet?
You can find it as ford truck enthusiasts too, or fte.com I think...
A TON of help there.
Many techs that know lots and share lots.
Helped and saved me many times.
Good Luck

niceguyeddie
03-18-2014, 11:39 AM
You visit ford-trucks.com yet?
You can find it as ford truck enthusiasts too, or fte.com I think...
A TON of help there.
Many techs that know lots and share lots.
Helped and saved me many times.
Good Luck

I'm a member there too. I didn't get any help so far on the dieselstop.com so I'm going to copy and paste at FT.com now.

rivergames
03-18-2014, 11:47 AM
Sell that turd and get another chevy

niceguyeddie
03-18-2014, 12:03 PM
Sell that turd and get another chevy

The thought is seriously crossing my mind. lol

Unforgiven
03-18-2014, 12:22 PM

I ended up buying a new Ford in 2012 (first Ford ever) f-250 with the 6.7 diesel..GREAT TRUCK..next year I'll go get another one..with leather this time..

2manymustangs
03-18-2014, 12:35 PM

Noooooooooooooo, dont give up so easy... :) You were having fun up to this point...

Dont listen to Andrew, he's biased... Take note of his tat... ;)

niceguyeddie
03-18-2014, 01:20 PM
Noooooooooooooo, dont give up so easy... :) You were having fun up to this point...

haha!
Oh I'm just kidding around. I'll get it all worked out.

2manymustangs
03-18-2014, 01:34 PM
haha!
Oh I'm just kidding around. I'll get it all worked out.

He will have you putting a mean ass SBC in that truck with headers sticking up and out the hood like a cracker box boat... :biggrin:

gn7
03-18-2014, 01:38 PM

From the guy that has a blue oval tat on his ass

I like my Fords, but I draw the line at 8 cylinders.
Ford woke the hell up and but the POS to death.

rivergames
03-18-2014, 02:32 PM
I am biased.:biggrin:

Although, I trust my duramax with 236k, to pull the rig to go racing back east. I don't think I could own a truck that I didn't trust. Too many late nights driving through the desert and not enough time to be stranded

But I bet next time NGE goes through the desert with that truck, he will have a cooler full of beer, a jug of water, and a chick to keep him from being bored to death waiting for hours on a tow truck

2manymustangs
03-18-2014, 03:11 PM

Although, I trust my duramax with 236k, to pull the rig to go racing back east. I don't think I could own a truck that I didn't trust. Too many late nights driving through the desert and not enough time to be stranded

But I bet next time NGE goes through the desert with that truck, he will have a cooler full of beer, a jug of water, and a chick to keep him from being bored to death waiting for hours on a tow truck

:biggrin: ^^^

(sorry Brandon and I didn't come see you last week, our vacation FLEW by... I really wanted to come and see your shop/projects, we will be back out in a few months for a longer amount of time...)

rivergames
03-18-2014, 03:13 PM
:biggrin: ^^^

(sorry Brandon and I didn't come see you last week, our vacation FLEW by... I really wanted to come and see your shop, we will be back out in a few months for a longer amount of time...)

No worries. Not much to check out on the new cracker right now. It is getting buffed out and I will have it back on Fri. I did make all the parts and take them to get polished and anodized. Should have it running by the end of next weekend

HB Vic
03-18-2014, 03:20 PM
We need an update Eddie, what's happening with the beast??

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

niceguyeddie
03-18-2014, 03:37 PM

I never travel through the desert without a cooler. Ya never know what can happen.

This is the 1st truck I have ever had mechanical issues with on a trip like this so it does make me feel a little uneasy. I'm going to attempt to have this problem figured out before the next time I drive it out there. And I'm probably going to drive it everyday for a week or so before my next trip out to be sure I trust it through the desert. I'm very thankful I was driving out solo and that it wasn't 100+ degrees out there. I wouldn't want to put someone through that or be stranded in the heat with no A/C.

niceguyeddie
03-18-2014, 03:40 PM
We need an update Eddie, what's happening with the beast??

The plan right now is do some research on the web before I take it to another shop. I'm also looking for a good Ford tech in the area. I plan to have the truck at a shop later this week. I'm kinda busy this week so I can't get to it. I'm glad I have a second car or else I'd be in a real pickle.

HB Vic
03-18-2014, 05:58 PM
The plan right now is do some research on the web before I take it to another shop. I'm also looking for a good Ford tech in the area. I plan to have the truck at a shop later this week. I'm kinda busy this week so I can't get to it. I'm glad I have a second car or else I'd be in a real pickle.

Education is the key. But you're not the one in a pickle, Mateo is lol

ChumpChange
03-18-2014, 06:20 PM
I have a Duramax I'll sell ya when you give up on fixin the Ferd.

2manymustangs
03-19-2014, 06:20 AM
I never travel through the desert without a cooler. Ya never know what can happen.

This is the 1st truck I have ever had mechanical issues with on a trip like this so it does make me feel a little uneasy. I'm going to attempt to have this problem figured out before the next time I drive it out there. And I'm probably going to drive it everyday for a week or so before my next trip out to be sure I trust it through the desert. I'm very thankful I was driving out solo and that it wasn't 100+ degrees out there. I wouldn't want to put someone through that or be stranded in the heat with no A/C.

^^^ Good insurance... ^^^ That is what I like to do after something major (or even minor) before I head out for a long drive...

rivergames
03-19-2014, 10:40 AM
^^^ Good insurance... ^^^ That is what I like to do after something major (or even minor) before I head out for a long drive...

Us chevy guys neverhave to worry about that. I am sorry for your loss of time

HB Vic
03-19-2014, 10:57 AM
Us chevy guys neverhave to worry about that. I am sorry for your loss of time

Chevy motors belong in boats, not in trucks :D

rivergames
03-19-2014, 11:07 AM

Pretty hypocritical statement right there my friend

HB Vic
03-19-2014, 11:12 AM
Pretty hypocritical statement right there my friend

My Ford tows my Chevy.
But my Chevy is parked in the garage, while my Ford is in the driveway.

Just to expand on it a little :D

niceguyeddie
03-19-2014, 11:12 AM
So a few guys have chimed in on the boards and recommended that I replace the T-stat and clear the codes. I'm gonna try that.

niceguyeddie
03-19-2014, 11:13 AM
I have a Duramax I'll sell ya when you give up on fixin the Ferd.

Lol. I'd try to get my old truck back 1st!

Boatnaked
03-19-2014, 04:45 PM

I wouldn't say that! I've had 4 boats, first had outboard Merc's, second had a Chevy, third had a ford, forth has a Chevy, I had to replace the motors in both boats that were Chevy, never had any trouble with the one with a Ford motor!

GRADS
03-19-2014, 04:59 PM
I feel bad for people who own Fords without warranties. I bought an extended warranty for $2K and I'm already well over $8K in covered repairs. I would never drive one without it.

Eli
03-19-2014, 05:32 PM
I feel bad for people who own Fords without warranties. I bought an extended warranty for $2K and I'm already well over $8K in covered repairs. I would never drive one without it.

Call me when it goes Ka-plunk within the warranty :)

Sent from my Bat Mobile

niceguyeddie
03-19-2014, 05:35 PM
Call me when it goes Ka-plunk within the warranty :)

Sent from my Bat Mobile

Yea there was a thread on PB about someone that had a brand new Power Stroke blow up and Ford told him to kick rocks.

Eli
03-19-2014, 05:43 PM
Yea there was a thread on PB about someone that had a brand new Power Stroke blow up and Ford told him to kick rocks.

Yea ford told me to kick rocks on Tuesday...inspection Thursday ...full purchase buy back offer the following Tuesday.

Sent from my Bat Mobile

niceguyeddie
03-25-2014, 03:29 PM
Update:

I changed the thermostat Sat am. I drove the truck around town Sat and Sunday and all has been well so far. I need to get her on the freeway. I'll probably drive the truck to work tomorrow. CEL is still on, I need to get it to a parts store and borrow a scan tool to clear the codes.

Eli
03-25-2014, 03:47 PM
Update:

I changed the thermostat Sat am. I drove the truck around town Sat and Sunday and all has been well so far. I need to get her on the freeway. I'll probably drive the truck to work tomorrow. CEL is still on, I need to get it to a parts store and borrow a scan tool to clear the codes.

So far so good!!

Sent from my Bat Cave

2manymustangs
03-25-2014, 03:49 PM
Update:

BAM! most excelente' Eddie... :) did the thermostat have weep/air purge holes drilled in it? or at least a single air purge hole? I think that most new units do nowadays... It helps prevent air lock on the stat...

niceguyeddie
03-25-2014, 04:06 PM
BAM! most excelente' Eddie... :) did the thermostat have weep/air purge holes drilled in it? or at least a single air purge hole? I think that most new units do nowadays... It helps prevent air lock on the stat...

The newer style looked so much different than the old one. It's shorter, very different design and yes it has air purge hole. I got one at the Ford dealer to be sure it was the right part. I'm hopping this resolves the issue. I'd like my next long road trip to be an enjoyable one.

2manymustangs
03-25-2014, 04:27 PM
:) I'm going to get the Torque Pro real time monitor on my wifes truck before our next trip...

2010 Sport Trac 4.6 3v and it just rolled over 100K miles... Seeing any misfire/misfires before the ECU even throws a code I think is helpful thing to know when diagnosing an issue OR for peace of mind while on a trip...

http://www.cnet.com/how-to/monitor-your-cars-performance-with-the-torque-app-for-android/

niceguyeddie
04-14-2014, 05:06 PM
:) I'm going to get the Torque Pro real time monitor on my wifes truck before our next trip...

2010 Sport Trac 4.6 3v and it just rolled over 100K miles... Seeing any misfire/misfires before the ECU even throws a code I think is helpful thing to know when diagnosing an issue OR for peace of mind while on a trip...

http://www.cnet.com/how-to/monitor-your-cars-performance-with-the-torque-app-for-android/

Truck has been running well since I put a new thermo and cap on. I buddy helped me do a front end service this past weekend (ball joints, inner and outer tie rods, axle & knuckle seals and bearings). Can't wait to take it on another road trip. Preferably to the river!

niceguyeddie
05-08-2014, 09:03 AM
Ended up getting rid of the turd and buying another Chevy. Truck was a problematic pile of shit and I didn't trust driving it across the desert. I about broke even on it so I didn't loose much other than my time wrenching on it. Spent more time under the hood than in the driver seat.

Feels good to be back in a Chevy.

HB Vic
05-08-2014, 09:33 AM
Well that sucks :D

riverrunner1984
05-08-2014, 10:57 AM
Do you think it may have been better if you would have bought a diesel? Only asking because I may be in the market for a diesel.

niceguyeddie
05-08-2014, 12:27 PM
Do you think it may have been better if you would have bought a diesel? Only asking because I may be in the market for a diesel.

If I wanted a diesel, I'd have kept my Chevy. Solid truck. I don't need a diesel and lifted trucks suck where I live.

If you get a Ford, the 7.3 and the 6.7 are the only trucks worth a damn. With the 7.3 you'll have a tough time finding one that doesn't have a lot of miles or in good condition. The 6.7 you're going to pay top dollar for it. The 6.7 is still a somewhat new engine so I'm still not sold anyways.

2manymustangs
05-14-2014, 11:56 AM
NGE, give us an update on the forrrrrrrrrrrd V10 :)

OOOOppppssss, never mind... :schreck: