PDA

View Full Version : Offshore races at Lake Perris?

GRADS
03-11-2014, 05:54 PM
I saw a banner at the top of the page advertising offshore races at Lake Perris. Is this the first time racing there? Is it big enough? I've never been there but I always thought it was a small lake. I wish I lived closer so I could see it.

HB Vic
03-11-2014, 06:00 PM
Come down and check it out. First time for the P boats I believe. Should be fun.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RogerThat99
03-11-2014, 07:41 PM
I was thinking this is a resurrection of an old race.

Grads - the lake is fairly small. The course is around a 5 mile loop. I cant remember how many laps they do.

Sent using Tapatalk.

ChumpChange
03-11-2014, 07:50 PM
Sounds pretty cool. Camped there when I was a kid.

C-2
03-11-2014, 09:11 PM
Waaaaaaaaaaa?

It's actually a fun lake, when the bacteria count is low.

ChumpChange
03-11-2014, 09:16 PM
Waaaaaaaaaaa?

It's actually a fun lake, when the bacteria count is low.

When women aren't cleaning their baby's diaper in the water?

gn7
03-11-2014, 09:40 PM
So offshore has taken up racing in mud puddles. How sad is that?

GRADS
03-11-2014, 09:45 PM
They should come to Folsom Lake and race... I always thought it was too small but I looked up Lake Perris and it is 134,000 acre feet where Folsom is over 1,000,000. :yikes:

gn7
03-11-2014, 10:06 PM
They should come to Folsom Lake and race... I always thought it was too small but I looked up Lake Perris and it is 134,000 acre feet where Folsom is over 1,000,000. :yikes:

:speechless-smiley-0
It was a sad day in offshore when they raced at Mead.
Get many swells at Folsom do you?

Curious Grads, what does the depth of the water have to do with it? Diamond Valley Lake has 800,000 acre feet, and its a stones throw from Perris, but I wouldn't want to see an offshore race there either.

Jeffmurray1957
03-11-2014, 10:27 PM
we will be there buy only on display, yes the lake is small but POPRA is trying to get its feet wet again and you have to start somewhere. I will be out there with the OL all day friday and saturday. come on by and say hi

GRADS
03-11-2014, 10:38 PM
:speechless-smiley-0

Get many swells at Folsom do you?

Curious Grads, what does the depth of the water have to do with it? Diamond Valley Lake has 800,000 acre feet, and its a stones throw from Perris, but I wouldn't want to see an offshore race there either.

Are there swells at Lake Perris? If you ask all the the v-drive guys that raced at Folsom they will tell you it was too rough. ;) And water storage aside, the surface area of Folsom is bigger as well.

GRADS
03-11-2014, 10:40 PM
yes the lake is small but POPRA is trying to get its feet wet again and you have to start somewhere.

That's great news! I hope they come back to Pittsburg.

gn7
03-11-2014, 10:50 PM
Are there swells at Lake Perris? If you ask all the the v-drive guys that raced at Folsom they will tell you it was too rough. ;) And water storage aside, the surface area of Folsom is bigger as well.

You're were listening to drag racers. Ya know Grads, not all boats are the same, as much as you think anything under 25 ft with a v bottom is a jet.

GRADS
03-11-2014, 11:15 PM
Ya know Grads, not all boats are the same, as much as you think anything under 25 ft with a v bottom is a jet.

You mean they're not?:headscratch:

She's Mine
03-12-2014, 11:27 AM
we will be there buy only on display, yes the lake is small but POPRA is trying to get its feet wet again and you have to start somewhere. I will be out there with the OL all day friday and saturday. come on by and say hi

When is the race? The thing about Offshore boat racing is it sucks for spectators because you only see the boats up close every 10 minutes or so. At least at this venue you will be able to see the boat the entire track and watch the action in every turn. Yes, they won't be able to spread their legs because of how short the straights are but that can make for some really close racing. Why knock it until you see it?

gn7
03-12-2014, 11:49 AM
When is the race? The thing about Offshore boat racing is it sucks for spectators because you only see the boats up close every 10 minutes or so. At least at this venue you will be able to see the boat the entire track and watch the action in every turn. Yes, they won't be able to spread their legs because of how short the straights are but that can make for some really close racing. Why knock it until you see it?

No different than watching the Mint 400 or any other OFF road race. No matter how many of these they run , or how long distance, driving these thru the streets of Las Vegas is not a "off" road race. There is just something missing. I guess some thint it would be cool because they could stand on the sidewalk and watch them go by. But I don't think it would catch on. Maybe with the wine and brie crowd. Not the die hard purists.

https://gallery.mailchimp.com/3b8c3304df68a2201eefa4b13/images/2013_mint_400_parade_05.2.jpg

Stainless
03-12-2014, 12:18 PM

I enjoyed watching them race at Havi during DS. Several different classes running at same time including Amsoil 77, ragamuffin, bat boats, Mystics. We watched from balcony of room at Nautical. :)

CH3NO2

GotHalos
03-12-2014, 12:26 PM
I'm hoping to go and check this out Saturday or Sunday. Anyone else planning on going?

She's Mine
03-12-2014, 12:34 PM
I'm hoping to go and check this out Saturday or Sunday. Anyone else planning on going?

This weekend?

She's Mine
03-12-2014, 12:36 PM
No different than watching the Mint 400 or any other OFF road race. No matter how many of these they run , or how long distance, driving these thru the streets of Las Vegas is not a "off" road race. There is just something missing. I guess some thint it would be cool because they could stand on the sidewalk and watch them go by. But I don't think it would catch on. Maybe with the wine and brie crowd. Not the die hard purists.

https://gallery.mailchimp.com/3b8c3304df68a2201eefa4b13/images/2013_mint_400_parade_05.2.jpg

Good points but would you consider a die hard purists to want to support all forms of boat racing to see his sport grow?

GotHalos
03-12-2014, 12:42 PM
This weekend?

Oops, I meant on the weekend of the race. March 22 I believe.

Menace Marine
03-12-2014, 12:48 PM

The mint is a great race. The parade through Vegas is just that. A parade. There is still plenty of offroad racing and places you can watch the offroad action from. The city stuff just gives people a chance to see the cars up close and exposes new people to the sport.
I agree offshore racing is best when it is offshore but it is tough on the spectators. It's hard to see and even harder to keep track of the leaders. You have to try to keep the fans and spectators happy and attending races. Without crowds there are no sponsors and without sponsors there is no racing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

GotHalos
03-12-2014, 12:53 PM
This is why I liked the races down at Irvine Lake. Most all of the boats get a "parade" lap in front of the spectators before they launch. Kind of cool. :thumbup:

SBS933
03-12-2014, 05:48 PM
I thought they were keeping Perris low because of a crack in the damn ? I went there a few years back and sanded out my wear ring because the water was so low, I'd never go back to that pit again.

C-2
03-12-2014, 09:40 PM
I thought they were keeping Perris low because of a crack in the damn ? I went there a few years back and sanded out my wear ring because the water was so low, I'd never go back to that pit again.

No crack, they're just retrofitting it. The website says it's down 25' in elevation...not sure how much that is.

Great fishing lake, I'll be taking my daughter there to do some bass fishing along the dam. When I was a teen we would wade in the weed areas on the backside and knock em dead, one after another on plastics. A few years back I even turned the Hallett into a bass boat for the day.

ChumpChange
03-12-2014, 10:00 PM
Is there really good fishing there? My kids need to catch their first fish.

C-2
03-12-2014, 10:13 PM
Is there really good fishing there? My kids need to catch their first fish.

If you know how to fish, it helps. This was my daughter's first fishing trip, it was June and about 101 that day...so the fish didn't start hitting until sunset. Big Perch and about a dozen small Largemouth's - one was about 15".