PDA

View Full Version : Johnson 40Hp- Alarm

GotHalos
03-10-2014, 06:26 PM
I have to double check what year the outboard is but last trip out the alarm started going off. It's an older (90's I assume)
2 stroke. I will find out the exact year as soon as I can.

After some preliminary research all I could find was that the alarm is either temperature or oil related?

I've never owned an outboard before. Any place I should check first? It seems to run great, pump water like a horse and has never felt hot. The alarm doesn't go off all the time and seems to go away once I get on plane.

Thanks in advance for any help.

rschap1
03-12-2014, 09:55 AM
oil injected?
oil tank empty?

GotHalos
03-12-2014, 10:14 AM
oil injected?
oil tank empty?

No oil injection.

Menace Marine
03-12-2014, 01:04 PM
Not a big outboard guy especially the small stuff but I may have an idea. If the alarm goes off at speed it may be a cooling issue. Either pressure or temp. Once the boat is going fast enough there is enough pressure and water flow to cool the motor. Pump could be weak or there may be a restriction somewhere. Maybe the WOT guys can help. I think they do a lot of outboard work.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Menace Marine
03-12-2014, 01:07 PM
Also the alarms usually share a common wire. If the alarm is sounding you can unplug the different alarm sensors one at a time until the alarm stops. Whichever sensor stops the alarm once unplugged is your problem. Then you just need to verify if the problem is real or if the sensor is going bad.

GotHalos
03-12-2014, 09:42 PM
Also the alarms usually share a common wire. If the alarm is sounding you can unplug the different alarm sensors one at a time until the alarm stops. Whichever sensor stops the alarm once unplugged is your problem. Then you just need to verify if the problem is real or if the sensor is going bad.

Thank you, will look into this this weekend. I'm hoping I can figure it out otherwise I may need to hit up WOTM like you said.

Menace Marine
03-12-2014, 09:46 PM
I'd be happy to try to help but like I said probably not the guru in this department. If you can't get ahold of anyone there feel free to give me a call. I would be happy to try to help you figure it out.

GotHalos
03-12-2014, 09:55 PM
I'd be happy to try to help but like I said probably not the guru in this department. If you can't get ahold of anyone there feel free to give me a call. I would be happy to try to help you figure it out.

Thank you. :thumbup:

Will update hopefully this weekend with my findings.

WOTM
03-13-2014, 01:06 PM
Was the oil injection system removed or has it always been a premix motor? If not it would be a temperature sender. Was it a solid horn or been beeb beeb?

HB Vic
03-13-2014, 01:14 PM
Was the oil injection system removed or has it always been a premix motor? If not it would be a temperature sender. Was it a solid horn or been beeb beeb?

Not sure about the oil system, he bought it that way.

When I heard it, pretty sure it was a beep...beep...beep kinda deal.

GotHalos
03-13-2014, 01:19 PM

Hmm...from first glance I think it's always been a premix motor. It's always been a beep.....beep......never a solid horn.

GotHalos
03-13-2014, 01:21 PM

Here's the only picture I have of it at the moment....not sure if it helps.

Sent from my Kyocera.

Menace Marine
03-13-2014, 01:35 PM
You have bigger problems than just the alarm. It looks like your whole world has gone sideways.

HB Vic
03-13-2014, 01:52 PM
You have bigger problems than just the alarm. It looks like your whole world has gone sideways.

Its the new Pacific Intercoastal Vertical Waterway. Its a bitch to get on, but once you're on its a helluva ride :D

WOTM
03-13-2014, 09:59 PM
Typically a pulsing beeb is low oil level. But that does not mix with it being a premixed motor. What does the wiring harness look like any bare wire? Chaffing or corrosion evidence?

Is there any consistency when the horn sounds, like only after long periods if idling or cursing speeds.

Could be as simple as a bad horn or sender

Has the impeller and thermostat been replaced recently?

WOTM
03-13-2014, 10:07 PM
If nothing else call the shop tomorrow and I'll get you covered!

GotHalos
03-14-2014, 08:43 AM
If nothing else call the shop tomorrow and I'll get you covered!

Thanks! :thumbup:

I will check out the harness and see what it looks like. The horn seems to only be there when idling in the harbor. If I turn the key to a certain spot it will go off....?

The guy I picked the boat up from said he just tuned up the motor but you know how that goes.

GotHalos
03-14-2014, 08:44 AM
you have bigger problems than just the alarm. It looks like your whole world has gone sideways.

Sent from my iphone using tapatalk

lol...

GotHalos
03-14-2014, 10:21 AM
Hmm...I guess this was an oil injected motor. That is what the VRO stands for?

WOTM
03-14-2014, 10:36 AM
Hmm...I guess this was an oil injected motor. That is what the VRO stands for?

Variable ratio Oil

GotHalos
03-23-2014, 11:04 PM
Hmm...I took it out today and what do you know, no alarm. I checked all the wiring and didn't find anything cracked/loose etc.

Still seems to be running fine.