PDA

View Full Version : Working on Engines

riverrunner1984
03-06-2014, 11:02 AM
Personally for me, I do not know the first thing about engines. Unfortunately, I have to take the boat and car to a shop whenever something needs to be done.

I wish they offered auto shop at my high school lol.

Thinking of taking a class at a local CC to start learning about them. I hate that I have to take the boat in for an oil change or simple services.
I tried a little DIY project last year and it did not turn out very well lol.

So who here does their own Engine work whether it be boat or car?
Where did you learn to work on the engine?
Do you do your own boat maintenance?

2manymustangs
03-06-2014, 11:11 AM
I put my first V8 together when I was still barely 14 and never looked back... Before that it was dirt bikes/go-kart engines...

I graduated to automatic transmissions about 12 years ago...

obnoxious001
03-06-2014, 11:14 AM
Personally for me, I do not know the first thing about engines. Unfortunately, I have to take the boat and car to a shop whenever something needs to be done.

Thinking of taking a class at a local CC to start learning about them. I hate that I have to take the boat in for an oil change or simple services.

I build engines(most for boats, but some other various racing engines, as well as high performance street engines). It's not rocket science but requires attention to detail and a certain amount of knowledge. I got interested when I was a kid and my dad used to help Lou Brummett racing at the boat marathons. Louis Unser was building his engines back then, and "Unser" was a household name around racing, and I met him on one of my many visits to the shop. My family never owned a boat, but as soon as I bought my first one, I have never been without one.

Brian
I do both. I was fortunate enough to grow up with a family who raced and I shared the same marine / automotive interest as my family and close friends. My suggestion is to not go to the CC to learn about performance engines. Although the general automitive information you will get will be usefull, it will not fufill your goal. If possible, I would try to find someone, maybe on here that is willing to mentor you and help you if you are really wanting to be able to do engine, pump rebuilds, etc. I don't expect you to be able to rebuild an engine or pump via the forums, but we should be able to help you do a basic service right here.

Tackle them 1 at a time and ask lots of questions, even if you think they are dumb.

riverrunner1984
I put my first V8 together when I was still barely 14 and never looked back... Before that it was dirt bikes/go-kart engines...

I graduated to automatic transmissions about 12 years ago...

So how did you learn? Did someone teach you or just learned as you went???

76Bonneville
03-06-2014, 11:21 AM
Not an engine builder, but do the maintenance.
Usually pull the motor at the end of the season and put it in the garage. Change the oil and fire the motor just before pulling it out. With a jet boat, it's literally an hour and a half from when you start to when your tools are put away. Learned to adjust valves, set timing, and mess with the carb by doing it.
Can't see paying somebody to do what I can figure out myself. On cars, oil changes on the deisel because they want $100.00 + to do it, brakes, water pumps etc, no biggie. On the foreign cars a Chilton book helps, it gives you the sequence to remove and reinstall.

Stainless
03-06-2014, 11:29 AM
Not an engine builder, but do the maintenance.
Usually pull the motor at the end of the season and put it in the garage. Change the oil and fire the motor just before pulling it out. With a jet boat, it's literally an hour and a half from when you start to when your tools are put away. Learned to adjust valves, set timing, and mess with the carb by doing it.
Can't see paying somebody to do what I can figure out myself. On cars, oil changes on the deisel because they want $100.00 + to do it, brakes, water pumps etc, no biggie. On the foreign cars a Chilton book helps, it gives you the sequence to remove and reinstall.

Mostly the same, I do maintenance on my stuff.

CH3NO2

riverrunner1984
03-06-2014, 11:29 AM
Good info guys.
Im thinking I need basic knowledge before I can actually work on something.
For example. In the thread "post the last pic you took on your phone" I dont even know what engine component B&D Marine posted the pic of.
Thats what little knowledge I have lol.

Thinking about getting the boat out of storage next weekend and going to try and tinker on it a bit.

gn7
03-06-2014, 11:31 AM
It's not rocket science .

Don't tell them that!!'

Don't listen to him. Its voodoo black magic stuff and not for amateurs. Its top secret stuff handed down generation to generation. In the wrong hands it can be lethal.

2manymustangs
03-06-2014, 11:32 AM
So how did you learn? Did someone teach you or just learned as you went???

Watching over my dads shoulder at first, tractor/lawnmower/flathead V8s/putting in new mains on our worn out junk...

Once I picked up the wrenches and started playing I never stopped... I did alot of machine/machine shop/design work where I learned/developed an understanding about tolerances/fit/finish... (tech school - board drafting/autocad - manufacturing engineering - building machines)

I'm far from advanced but by paying close attention to details/feel/fit and reading alot/studing failed parts has got me by for well over 35 years...

Some of the guys like Obnoxious and others have had the blessing of meeting/watching some of the all time greats... Louis Unser, mannnnn...

In recent conversation at Needles with Mr. Bubby Wilton, I found out he was rubbing elbows with Ed Pink and other big names in the history of engine building...

I try to keep my ears/eyes wide open when Im around the old timers and ask as many questions as possible without being a pest...

SoCal was/is MECCA for drag race fans. I spent the first 10-15 years of my trips to SoCal touring every piston/header/crankshaft/engine builder that would allow me in their shop... :) Many of you all don't realize (or care) what was in your own back yard from a history perspective in drag racing... Cool stuff IMHO!!! :action-smiley-035:

We grew up boating but it wasn't "performance boating" like most of you folks grew up with... Just "social" boating/ski/swimming...

S.S., I think I was 6 also when I learned to ski, just never had hotboats like you grew up with...

WESTERNAERO
03-06-2014, 11:36 AM
How to change the oil in your boat.
Step 1. Remove drain plug from boat
Step 2. Drive to the freeway on-ramp and pull over before entering the freeway
Step 3. Remove oil pan drain plug
Step 4. Quickly get on the freeway
Step 5. Accelerate, decelerate, accelerate, decelerate until all the oil has exited the bilge.
Step 6. Give the finger to anyone who is honking at you
Step 7. Keep an eye on your mirrors, 1 for coppers, 2 when the traffic has caught back up to you the oil pan is empty.
Step 8. Go home, put the plug back in the oil pan and pop open a cold one in celebration of a job well done.
Oh yeah, put oil back in the engine. And don't forget to replace the filter too. What ever you do don't use a Fram, GN7 will shit an ovary.
Hope this helps. :biggrin:

gn7
03-06-2014, 11:41 AM
Many of you all don't realize (or care) what was in your own back yard from a history perspective in drag racing... Cool stuff IMHO!!! ...

Ya think. Try growing up in Culver City with Traco, Isky, Halibrand, Edelbrock, Hedman, Sandy Belond all in your backyard. Like trying to grow up in East LA and not be a crack head.

Stainless
03-06-2014, 11:42 AM
Don't tell them that!!'

Don't listen to him. Its voodoo black magic stuff and not for amateurs. Its top secret stuff handed down generation to generation. In the wrong hands it can be lethal.

:D:p:D

CH3NO2

gn7
03-06-2014, 11:44 AM
How to change the oil in your boat.
Step 1. Remove drain plug from boat
Step 2. Drive to the freeway on-ramp and pull over before entering the freeway
Step 3. Remove oil pan drain plug
Step 4. Quickly get on the freeway
Step 5. Accelerate, decelerate, accelerate, decelerate until all the oil has exited the bilge.
Step 6. Give the finger to anyone who is honking at you
Step 7. Keep an eye on your mirrors, 1 for coppers, 2 when the traffic has caught back up to you the oil pan is empty.
Step 8. Go home, put the plug back in the oil pan and pop open a cold one in celebration of a job well done.
Oh yeah, put oil back in the engine. And don't forget to replace the filter too. What ever you do don't use a Fram, GN7 will shit an ovary.
Hope this helps. :biggrin:

Fram, you can pay me now, or pay me later, but your going to pay me.

gn7
03-06-2014, 11:49 AM

Trust me on this. YOU DON'T WANT TO KNOW!!!
The more you know, the more it costs. You're money ahead not knowing.

WESTERNAERO
03-06-2014, 11:50 AM
Fram, you can pay me now, or pay me later, but your going to pay me.

Wasn't it fram you were having a shit fit about? Or was it wix racing?

obnoxious001
03-06-2014, 11:52 AM
Don't tell them that!!'

Good point,, I forgot.

riverrunner1984
03-06-2014, 11:53 AM
Trust me on this. YOU DON'T WANT TO KNOW!!!
The more you know, the more it costs. You're money ahead not knowing.

LOL, I hear that.

Im the first generation boater in my family so for me, its def just learning as I go.
But I do want to learn some things...eventually....

gn7
03-06-2014, 11:53 AM
Wasn't it fram you were having a shit fit about? Or was it wix racing?

Neither are allowed in my garage, let alone on my boat.
Wix racing is a great filter, one of the very best, if your name is Rick Hendricks, or Roger Penske and you change your oil every 500 miles. Otherwise, its probably worse than a Fram.

gn7
03-06-2014, 11:57 AM
Are you aware this is skirting to be "tech" thread?
Are you aware there is no "tech" forum here? Like politics, there is a reason for that. So get the posts in fast, and try not to get too "techie" before it gets locked down, or hidden, or deleted, or what ever is they do with prohibited threads.

WESTERNAERO
03-06-2014, 11:58 AM
LOL, I hear that.

Im the first generation boater in my family so for me, its def just learning as I go.
But I do want to learn some things...eventually....

You should start yourself a "Hey Guys, Help Me" thread in the engine area. That way all your questions will stay in one place and every gearhead that comes on HB will answer your questions and they will be happy to do so. It will be your own little library of Q & A.

riverrunner1984
03-06-2014, 11:59 AM
You should start yourself a "Hey Guys, Help Me" thread in the engine area. That way all your questions will stay in one place and every gearhead that comes on HB will answer your questions and they will be happy to do so. It will be your own little library of Q & A.

Thats actually a great idea.
When I pull it our of storage in the next couple weeks, I will def do that. :thumbup:

WESTERNAERO
03-06-2014, 11:59 AM
Are you aware there is no "tech" forum here? Like politics, there is a reason for that. So get the posts in fast, and try not to get too "techie" before it gets locked down, or hidden, or deleted, or what ever is they do with prohibited threads.

Vic made a marine engine area yesterday. Times are changing.

gn7
03-06-2014, 12:00 PM

HUH? You have a different operating system than I do? Or a special log on that allows you to see the "hidden stuff"

WESTERNAERO
03-06-2014, 12:01 PM
HUH? You have a different operating system than I do? Or a special log on that allows you to see the "hidden stuff"

Post #23

HB Vic
03-06-2014, 12:01 PM

Lots of changes coming soon. I screwed up a lot of stuff, but no posts were lost. Admin has his work cut out for him LOL

gn7
03-06-2014, 12:02 PM
I think I can get my ass banned fast enough just staying in the sandbox. :smile:

Stainless
03-06-2014, 12:03 PM

Bob was too busy in the Sandbar to notice. :p

CH3NO2

WESTERNAERO
03-06-2014, 12:03 PM
I screwed up a lot of stuff, but no posts were lost.

Except Wayne's...:action-smiley-069:
Sorry, couldn't help myself.

28eliminator
03-06-2014, 12:08 PM

:eat::party-smiley-020:

gn7
03-06-2014, 12:09 PM
Bob was too busy in the Sandbar to notice. :p

CH3NO2

Actually I posted in the V drive forum and never saw it. Of course, I wasn't looking for it either.

HB Vic
03-06-2014, 12:09 PM
Except Wayne's...:action-smiley-069:
Sorry, couldn't help myself.

Its still there, you just can't see it :D

28eliminator
03-06-2014, 12:37 PM

I do all my own, on all my shit. Mainly because all my stuff is old and I can't afford new stuff, and it constantly needs work :tongue:

My Dad built engines for many of the Landspeed racers in the late 50's through the early 70's. He was given 8 of the first GM 265ci motors when GM first came out with them in 54 or 55. He was allowed to modify 4 of them any way he wanted. the other 4 had specific criteria he could change/not change. He put a lot of guys in the 200 MPH club over the next 10 years by de-stroking it to 258 inches, thus running it in the "under 260ci" classes. I was hooked from an early age. Had a Die grinder in my hand at 9 (Pops was big into head work). By 19 I had built a 440 for a buddy's 69 charger (we did 129 on the airport runway one night :action-smiley-035:), and a 302 for a friends Bronco (which he finally grenaded), that won a couple sand drag races. I made some descent money building cylinder heads up to about the age of 30 (then I had to get a real job :biggrin:). I did the motor in my boat a couple years ago (twice :badidea:), and it runs very good.

I do all my own maintenance, although my ability stops when it comes to the outdrive, and anything beyond changing the oil. Transmissions as well.. I have no clue.

hoofy
03-06-2014, 12:59 PM
My dad owned a small trucking company (25 trucks ) he had a part time mechanic but did most of his own maintenance. I just grew up around vehicle maintenance.

I worked for C/F for 14 years as a truck mechanic and then went into management. Worked at Rio Hondo college part time as a tuck mechanic instructor and a few years as crew chief on my friends alcohol funny car. Hung out at Ak Miller's garage when I was a teenager.

Sent from my VS870 4G using Tapatalk

thatguy
03-06-2014, 02:52 PM
Don't tell them that!!'

Does this mean you are going to start building for paying customers???

niceguyeddie
03-06-2014, 05:25 PM
I build engines(most for boats, but some other various racing engines, as well as high performance street engines). It's not rocket science but requires attention to detail and a certain amount of knowledge. I got interested when I was a kid and my dad used to help Lou Brummett racing at the boat marathons. Louis Unser was building his engines back then, and "Unser" was a household name around racing, and I met him on one of my many visits to the shop. My family never owned a boat, but as soon as I bought my first one, I have never been without one.

Weren't we talking about a class on the basics of engine building a couple years ago? What ever happened with that?

gn7
03-06-2014, 05:36 PM
Does this mean you are going to start building for paying customers???

Never. Not for love or money, friends or enemies.

Mrs.K034
03-06-2014, 06:52 PM
Neither are allowed in my garage, let alone on my boat.
Wix racing is a great filter, one of the very best, if your name is Rick Hendricks, or Roger Penske and you change your oil every 500 miles. Otherwise, its probably worse than a Fram.

I ran a wix racing in the k-034, but did also change the oil everyday. Great filters. Although, with the new motor the oil doesn't milk up like it did before, so we may race on the same oil all weekend depending.. We'll see

gn7
03-06-2014, 07:03 PM
I ran a wix racing in the k-034, but did also change the oil everyday. Great filters. Although, with the new motor the oil doesn't milk up like it did before, so we may race on the same oil all weekend depending.. We'll see

That's what can happen when you have a woman for a crew chief.

:yourock: see you tomorrow. We can talk filters:biggrin:

Mrs.K034
03-06-2014, 07:06 PM
That's what can happen when you have a woman for a crew chief.

:yourock: see you tomorrow. We can talk filters:biggrin:

What the hell are you trying to say, Bob? Lol. See you tomorrow.

Sharp shooter
03-06-2014, 08:58 PM
I used to do all of my own engine r&r until I had enough money to pay the pros. :D

Spending time in the garage with dad and reading HotRod magazines helped me learn basics. My first rebuild was a 302 ford my dad needed rebuilt for his '57 Ranchero. This was back in 1982. My high school auto shop teacher let me do the rebuild in class. Back then, year 2 auto shop was a 2 hour class. I remember feeling like I wasn't learning much in there because I had already been exposed to most of the curriculum.

The k boat engine is a learning curve that I'm still working on. Tuning is an art that I may never master, but I'm paying attention when the pros are helping me.:D

SBS933
03-06-2014, 09:25 PM
Are you aware there is no "tech" forum here? Like politics, there is a reason for that. So get the posts in fast, and try not to get too "techie" before it gets locked down, or hidden, or deleted, or what ever is they do with prohibited threads.Should start a Tech section where the Gurus could help a kid save a buck or two. The problem lies with computers and Jap cars, the youth cannot get their hands on the cars we used to buy for $200-$500 bucks and throw an oversized bearing on the rod and take a chick to the beach as many times as you could before you spun it. That's were all the basic knowledge of timing and valve train would come in.

Rock_Bottom
03-06-2014, 09:33 PM
I work on all my own stuff. Started learning buy rebuilding my old 2 stroke Dirtbike with my dad when I was real young. Learned a lot from him. And also from taking things apart and seeing how it works. But 80% of my friends mechanically inclined so I've learned a lot over the years. Actually just replaced a valve cover gasket on my boat right now😀 and waiting for all the oil to drain out so I can change it, it's a very slow proses waiting for 10 quarts to dripp out lol35574

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalkhttp://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/03/07/sy7u4uvy.jpg

Rock_Bottom
03-06-2014, 09:36 PM
Oops idk how that pic of cpk got in there 😁😂

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sharp shooter
03-06-2014, 09:44 PM
it's a very slow proses waiting for 10 quarts to dripp out lol

It drains faster when it's warmed up a bit. :)

Rock_Bottom
03-06-2014, 09:48 PM

Ya it is cause we just did the timing on it right before and it's still taking forever hah just gonna let it sit over night eff it hah

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SBS933
03-06-2014, 09:58 PM
Ya it is cause we just did the timing on it right before and it's still taking forever hah just gonna let it sit over night eff it hah

Sent from my iPhone using TapatalkMolasses unless your at the river in the summer. :tongue:

gn7
03-06-2014, 10:08 PM
Disconnect the oil pressure line and stick in a 5 gallon jug and light the bitch off. When it spits, shut it off.
Won't tell you told me that, but I do it, there is 35 lbs of pressure in the block right till it spits.

SBS933
03-06-2014, 10:33 PM
Disconnect the oil pressure line and stick in a 5 gallon jug and light the bitch off. When it spits, shut it off.
Won't tell you told me that, but I do it, there is 35 lbs of pressure in the block right till it spits.35 lbs. aint too bad. I'll give it a shot.

hpboats83
03-07-2014, 07:36 AM
Weren't we talking about a class on the basics of engine building a couple years ago? What ever happened with that?

I've started threads exactly like this a few times and in one of them we were talking about some sort of a class.

28eliminator
03-07-2014, 12:54 PM
I've started threads exactly like this a few times and in one of them we were talking about some sort of a class.

Motor heads have no Class :biggrin:

Sharp shooter
03-07-2014, 02:29 PM
Everything you need to know is always just a click (or 5) away. :D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qtFXfoKCLu4

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LZO1fWVxN4c

Sharp shooter
03-07-2014, 02:30 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gfrYWKi78zc

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g46s-Vr4Br0

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mvJNMN-oP68

djunkie
03-08-2014, 11:59 AM
I've always worked on my own stuff. Started out with my first car a VW bug. Built all my own engines and quite a few for other people. I used to turn wrenches for a living till I got my current job. My last project was this mild sbc for my truck. Was a budget build but it runs pretty good for a smog motor.

djunkie
03-08-2014, 12:02 PM
The boat engine on the other hand I paid to have built. I was having a kid at the time and Jim Wilkes made me a pretty good deal on the build. I'd have spent almost the same amount on the parts alone for what I paid for it complete.

niceguyeddie
03-10-2014, 09:28 AM

I use one of these. They suck the oil out pretty quick.

niceguyeddie
03-10-2014, 09:33 AM
Everything you need to know is always just a click (or 5) away. :D

Yep.
The internet is awesome! I wanted to replace ball joints, tie-rods, axle support bearings, seals and etc on my truck. I watched a guy do it on YT and was ready to rock and roll. I typically refuse to pay people for things I can do myself. I also find spinning wrenches to be very therapeutic.

2manymustangs
03-10-2014, 09:53 AM
Yep.
The internet is awesome! I wanted to replace ball joints, tie-rods, axle support bearings, seals and etc on my truck. I watched a guy do it on YT and was ready to rock and roll. I typically refuse to pay people for things I can do myself. I also find spinning wrenches to be very therapeutic.

^^^ What he said... ANYtime I have to have to do a new project (like changing front hubs on my ford truck) or my recent valve spring repair adventures on the ford 4.0 SOHC...

The internet is usually my first stop when I have to do anything NEW to me...

RVRKID
03-10-2014, 10:30 AM
I can work on most my stuff, probably not rebuild a motor w/o some help but could get pretty close. I always just watched over my Grandpa/Dad/Brothers shoulder and it got me along pretty good. They got rid of Autoshop at my high school while I was there or maybe just before so that sucked. As far as oil changes on our cars, I take them in because you don't really save anything by doing it yourself nowadays and most come with free tire rotation.

niceguyeddie
03-10-2014, 10:57 AM
^^^ What he said... ANYtime I have to have to do a new project (like changing front hubs on my ford truck) or my recent valve spring repair adventures on the ford 4.0 SOHC...

The internet is usually my first stop when I have to do anything NEW to me...

I also figure that even if I have to buy new tools like I did with my recent project (ball joint service kit), it beats paying someone labor. Now I have the tool to do it again someday.

2manymustangs
03-10-2014, 11:17 AM
I also figure that even if I have to buy new tools like I did with my recent project (ball joint service kit), it beats paying someone labor. Now I have the tool to do it again someday.

Yup, when I built my first Harley around 1986 I bought some SNAP ON brand tools for the compensator nut/tranny input shaft seal/primary drive system... BIG stuff, 3/4" drive (sockets, removable handle breaker bar, removable handle wrenches) and it seemed like a TON of money at the time but 25+ years later I have used those tools MANY times for my second harley build and many other tractor projects and such...

AND I can/could say that I built them all by myself... :)

A balljoint service kit is absolutely a handy kit to have in your toolbox...

The Doctor
03-10-2014, 01:23 PM
My dad didn't even change his own oil but I loved all things mechanical so I "experimented" until I learned some things by trial and error. As my sons were growing up, I built a handful of Camaros and they thought I was really something. Since that time, they learned so much more than I'll ever know that I'm only allowed to sweep in their shop while they build engines. They have their own dyno room and build everything for our boats, drag cars, etc. in house. Here's one corner of their shop.

gn7
03-10-2014, 02:56 PM

I think I recognize Dr Frankenstein, Jessica, Fat Sam and Bannister.:smile:

CampbellCarl
03-10-2014, 05:21 PM
My dad owned a small trucking company (25 trucks ) he had a part time mechanic but did most of his own maintenance. I just grew up around vehicle maintenance.

I worked for C/F for 14 years as a truck mechanic and then went into management. Worked at Rio Hondo college part time as a tuck mechanic instructor and a few years as crew chief on my friends alcohol funny car. Hung out at Ak Miller's garage when I was a teenager.

On Slauson around Passons?

hoofy
03-10-2014, 05:46 PM
Ak Miller's garage was on Slauson one block west of Passions at Serapis.

Sharp shooter
03-10-2014, 06:04 PM
As far as oil changes on our cars, I take them in because you don't really save anything by doing it yourself nowadays

I do my own oil changes because I like topping off the new oil filter before installing and I like knowing I tightened not only the pan nut (not stripping it) but also the filter myself.

Stainless
03-10-2014, 06:38 PM
I do my own oil changes because I like topping off the new oil filter before installing and I like knowing I tightened not only the pan nut (not stripping it) but also the filter myself.

;) same reason I do also, you forgot to mention the lubricant engineer's mind is about 10% on your car and 90% on whatever 18 yo's think about. :D

CH3NO2

wannabe
03-10-2014, 07:16 PM
I build my own stuff. Started out slow and kept my eyes on the guys that knew what they were doing. (Pro stock, comp elim, NASCAR, etc.) Pride and thinking you know it all will ruin you in the early stages of learning to be an engine builder. Keep your eyes open and be as observant as possible in the pro pits.
Now I can build an engine that makes power and lives. It ain't rocket science. But, if you knew anything about rocket science, you would know that rocket science isn't rocket science either.

CampbellCarl
03-10-2014, 08:01 PM
Ak Miller's garage was on Slauson one block west of Passions at Serapis.

Still is...