PDA

View Full Version : What good is feedback?

Pressed Ham
03-03-2014, 10:30 PM
There was a thread started about a member that received bad service from an advertiser. Here's my take on ANY vender or service provider feedback.

When I'm buying something on Amazon, an app for my iCrap, about to choose a restaurant on Yelp, etc, I read the reviews. Of course you have to use your own scale to weight the negative, but regardless I want to hear it.

I also like a call out thread where a business, product or service provider is called out, but responds and makes the situation right. I'd rather hear about the bad service and how it was resolved than not hear about it at all. Everyone drops the ball, it's how you recover that makes you a player. As someone else said, one screw up with a customer that has a positive history can be accepted, one screw up with a first time customer carries a significantly higher weighting.

Let me give you an example of nut swingers supporting and promoting a certain detailer in the Parker area. All the nut swingers gave this guy glowing reviews, everything he did was perfect, never a screw up, never did inferior work or missed a commitment.

So a buddy of mine asks me for a referral, needed some detail work and minor summer tune up. I turn him on to "the guy". Well the guy doesn't do the job right, causes my buddies boat to overheat (impeller was supposed to be changed), burns up some part of his exhaust, denies he was the cause of the problem, didn't have the boat finished on time, etc... Yet everyone keeps saying this shop is "the place" to go. To add insult to injury "the guy" told my buddy he underestimated the job and wanted more money. I seem to recall some other issues but can remember what they were so I'm not going to embellish. I felt horrible for my buddy.

So from my perspective I'd rather hear about a "challenging" experience where the accused makes it right or alternatively they chose to take no corrective action. I find those reviews mixed with positive reviews are a true measure of a company's commitment to customer satisfaction.

Just my 2 cents

Dictated to Tapatalk (http://tapatalk.com/m?id=1) by Siri

Menace Marine
03-03-2014, 11:03 PM
I'm kind of of the same mind set. But I don't know what is the best way to handle it. Bad reviews travel fast over the Internet and if a business doesn't see the review soon enough the response is meaningless. The damage to their reputation is already done. Yelp is another issue. They were sued recently for screening reviews and only showing negative results unless the business paid for advertising.
I do my best to make every customer happy but I'm not foolish enough to believe I'm 100% successful. Like others have said everyone makes mistakes its how you handle it that matters. Hearing a review where any shop rights their wrong always impresses me.
I don't believe any shop should be shielded from bad reviews based on their advertising budget (not saying that is happening here). But I do know it can go downhill quickly. Had the shop been made aware of the issue and given the chance to fix it before it made it on the Internet? Will both parties be given the chance to plead their case? Etc etc.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

She's Mine
03-04-2014, 12:03 AM
Ok, so how would this work if someone takes their boat to a shop and pays multiple times for the same items to be taken care of and certain things done to the motor and it never gets done correctly? The shop knew what they were paid to do and it never was done and when the boat was taken back to be resolved a new invoice was created and paid.

HB Vic
03-04-2014, 08:07 AM
There was a thread started about a member that received bad service from an advertiser. Here's my take on ANY vender or service provider feedback.

When I'm buying something on Amazon, an app for my iCrap, about to choose a restaurant on Yelp, etc, I read the reviews. Of course you have to use your own scale to weight the negative, but regardless I want to hear it.

I also like a call out thread where a business, product or service provider is called out, but responds and makes the situation right. I'd rather hear about the bad service and how it was resolved than not hear about it at all. Everyone drops the ball, it's how you recover that makes you a player. As someone else said, one screw up with a customer that has a positive history can be accepted, one screw up with a first time customer carries a significantly higher weighting.

Let me give you an example of nut swingers supporting and promoting a certain detailer in the Parker area. All the nut swingers gave this guy glowing reviews, everything he did was perfect, never a screw up, never did inferior work or missed a commitment.

So a buddy of mine asks me for a referral, needed some detail work and minor summer tune up. I turn him on to "the guy". Well the guy doesn't do the job right, causes my buddies boat to overheat (impeller was supposed to be changed), burns up some part of his exhaust, denies he was the cause of the problem, didn't have the boat finished on time, etc... Yet everyone keeps saying this shop is "the place" to go. To add insult to injury "the guy" told my buddy he underestimated the job and wanted more money. I seem to recall some other issues but can remember what they were so I'm not going to embellish. I felt horrible for my buddy.

So from my perspective I'd rather hear about a "challenging" experience where the accused makes it right or alternatively they chose to take no corrective action. I find those reviews mixed with positive reviews are a true measure of a company's commitment to customer satisfaction.

Just my 2 cents

Dictated to Tapatalk (http://tapatalk.com/m?id=1) by Siri

And here's my take.

The advertisers and supporters of this site are no different than those you might see while watching the news or your favorite TV show. There are good ones, and some that are not so good. Its up to you to do your homework to determine which vendor you are going to give your hard earned money. While we do encourage our members to support our advertisers, we are not asking anyone to do something they don't want to do. So if you have personal knowledge that a business is not living up to your level of quality, do not patronize that business.

Here's the problem with what you're asking. And correct me if I'm wrong, but what you want is a section where people can go to complain about businesses or companies who have done you or someone you know wrong, correct? Lets put the shoe on the other foot for a minute. You own a boat repair shop in your community. You do your best to perform quality work. You work hard and its not easy because the economy still sucks, but you still manage to get by because you do good quality work.

Now walks in Joe Schmuck in to your shop. Joe's at your shop because he's already burned every other shop in town. Joe asks you to make a repair to his boat. A repair he knows either can't be done or will be very difficult based on the parameters he will impose. Joe is essentially setting you up for failure. You do your best to satisfy Joe but Joe won't allow that to happen. Joe either wants a completely free repair or something extremely unreasonable. You do your best but you just can't please Joe, because Joe can't be pleased.

Joe then proceeds to trash you and your business on the internet because you could not accommodate his unreasonable requests. Joe's trashing grows legs, and before you know it you're out of business.

This is a little extreme, but the point I'm trying to make is there is no way possible for me or any of us to determine who was actually right and who was wrong. The businesses and vendors do not have the exorbitant amount of time it would take to defend themselves on the dozen or so websites where Joe Schmuck posted his trashing. So no matter how wrong Joe Schmuck was, he still wins, and a potentially good and legitimate business would go down in flames.

The best way to spread the word about a bad business, is not to talk about them at all. If you spend any amount of time on these boards, soon enough you will know the go to shops for whatever it is you're looking for. There really is no need to trash the other ones, they either aren't getting any positive feedback or no one is talking about them altogether.

gn7
03-04-2014, 08:16 AM
Translation: I am not going to allow anybody on this site to trash people that give me money.

The Only Thing Necessary for the Triumph of Evil is that Good Men Do Nothing

riverrunner1984
03-04-2014, 08:19 AM
Personally, if I have a bad experience be it a restaurant, car repair shop, hotel or whatever, I pretty much keep it to myself unless asked.
However, if I get exceptionally good service, I make sure to let every one know.
Thats just how I operate.

Good analogy HB.

Stainless
03-04-2014, 08:33 AM
Translation: I am not going to allow anybody on this site to trash people that give me money.

Hey Bob, there's an engine thread in the Sandbar. :D

CH3NO2

HB Vic
03-04-2014, 08:41 AM

Ah Bob, I was waiting for you to chime in.

Here's the deal Bob, I won't express it in dollars, but to date I have given out/spent almost exactly 500X what I've taken in. Now think 6 figures and not tenths.

And guess what Bob, I support boat racing and racers too.

I suck don't I? :D

pvhca1
03-04-2014, 08:51 AM
I got royally screwed by a boat shop in LHC and I will forever trash that f'ing POS. When the day comes that he refunds my $15K will be the day the trash talking stops. And don't ask why I didn't take him to court, nearly impossible to prove negligence by a mechanic, could have got him for not honoring a warranty but what good would that have done, have him f up again. Once a thief always a thief, KARMA will get the "absolute" biggest POS in LHC one day.

pvhca1
03-04-2014, 08:52 AM

What is it you do for a living? Again nothing positive added by one of your comments!!

Jefftowz
03-04-2014, 09:06 AM
Personally, if I have a bad experience be it a restaurant, car repair shop, hotel or whatever, I pretty much keep it to myself unless asked.
However, if I get exceptionally good service, I make sure to let every one know.
Thats just how I operate.

Good analogy HB.

I agree, Use Yelp to slam people, if we are allowed slam all the advertisers, and the advertisers leave I believe HB online goes away....

X2

ChumpChange
03-04-2014, 09:17 AM
Hey Phil! lol.

Pressed Ham
03-04-2014, 12:22 PM
There are good ones, and some that are not so good. Its up to you to do your homework to determine which vendor you are going to give your hard earned money...

I understand what you're saying and in no way am I saying you need to provide a "come trash our sponsors" forum. But in doing my due diligence on investigating who I want to have service something I want to hear the positive and negative. I'll use my own scale and filters to determine if I want to do business with them. But you can't make an educated decision if all you receive are one sided perspectives. Trust me, i read both the positive and negative reviews and look at a blended average. Someone with a 100 positives and 1-5 negatives would represent a well rounded history. I'd then read the negatives and put my own weight on them.

For example, there's a killer hot dog place in my town. I've been there and experienced it. However, I've also read the Yelp reviews. Some of the complaints are hysterical, not enough ice in the water, portions were too much, screwed up our order. I get it, it happens. But they also had a lot of positive reviews. A review "growing legs" works both ways. I posted a positive experience on another site about an exceptional experience I had. There were many responses that said, yea I've heard of that company, but had never considered using them until you posted your experience. It works both ways.

How did you end up with a Raptor, I mean with all the bad reviews about frames bending one would think it had to be the worst truck made. Once you read HOW the frames were bent you understand that you can't mosh them like a Trophy Truck, regardless of how Ford's marketing team presents it. But if you had not filtered or weighed the reviews, or done your homework you'd never know.

Again, I'll agree to disagree. I want as much feedback as I can get when spending money on a product or service. If every review was polished off with honey dipped unicorns you would not be able to make an educated choice.