PDA

View Full Version : Is this really an Eliminator???

GRADS
02-24-2014, 02:31 PM
The ad says it is...it says Eliminator on the side of it. Same Eliminator out of Mira Loma? If so, I never knew they built a ski boat.

http://sacramento.craigslist.org/boa/4347275346.html

GRADS
02-24-2014, 02:58 PM
And then there is this one too.....For the jet boater who wants to get his fish on?

http://orangecounty.craigslist.org/boa/4345896266.html

Paul65K
02-24-2014, 03:01 PM
The ad says it is...it says Eliminator on the side of it. Same Eliminator out of Mira Loma? If so, I never knew they built a ski boat.

http://sacramento.craigslist.org/boa/4347275346.html

34707Yeah.....Eliminator was f'ing with those things before the whole "Wake Board, fuck up the lake" shit began in the late 90's :D

RogerThat99
02-24-2014, 03:10 PM
I am pretty sure the Pink Taco (the boat the belongs to the board member with the same name) is an Eliminator direct drive ski boat similar to the first one you posted. The whaler (second one you posted), many manufacturers made them so I am sure Eliminator did also.

gn7
02-24-2014, 03:19 PM
There is sooooo much you don't know Grads, it would be easier to list the little you do. Between here >[ ] < and here.

Did you know they made these? NO GRADS, ITS NOT A JET!!!

Did you even know that they started by making v drive flats? Bob actually started by putting a deck he designed on other manufactures bottom and making it look like it was a different boat. Then he designed his own bottom, but probably should have kept using others because none of his bottoms worked to well.
It wasn't until he hired Ron Ehde to tool the bottom for a small version of the 30 ft Chris Cat for use as a JET, that the company amounted to much. It was the 19 ft Daytona tooled by Edhe and then the 21 and 23 that things took off. Before the 19ft Daytona, it was all V drives and a few jets and the occasional outboard.

HB Vic
02-24-2014, 06:19 PM
There is sooooo much you don't know Grads, it would be easier to list the little you do. Between here >[ ] < and here.

Did you know they made these? NO GRADS, ITS NOT A JET!!!

Did you even know that they started by making v drive flats? Bob actually started by putting a deck he designed on other manufactures bottom and making it look like it was a different boat. Then he designed his own bottom, but probably should have kept using others because none of his bottoms worked to well.
It wasn't until he hired Ron Ehde to tool the bottom for a small version of the 30 ft Chris Cat for use as a JET, that the company amounted to much. It was the 19 ft Daytona tooled by Edhe and then the 21 and 23 that things took off. Before the 19ft Daytona, it was all V drives and a few jets and the occasional outboard.

I guess I don't understand how you guys let Grads get under your skin. Well maybe I should back up, I used to let him get under mine until I figured out that he's harmless. He really means no harm. He picks on just about everything, albeit Jets are probably his favorite boat to pick on. Funny, there were several 100+MPH jets in Parker this weekend and I would bet good money Grads would never make a passenger pass in one. So his jet comments don't really mean to much to me. Very similar to you putting the smack down on DCB's, I personally see no difference.

Every site has its court jester or jesters. I'm not saying Grads is ours, but he does allow us to pick on him and he doesn't shoot back much normally. And I'm not calling him the village idiot either, because he's actually very intelligent. I learned a long ago not to judge a book by its contents. Especially if that book only shows the pages it wants you to see. Anyone can judge a book by its cover :D

Your note above is very good information. With almost every factual post you make, I too learn something. So thank you for that. But don't get too down on the people who are running around in this place, they're actually people too :D

Havasuing
02-24-2014, 07:19 PM
The Eliminator 'tournament style' ski boat was a collaboration between Bob Leach and Mike Murphy (Air Chair, Sky Ski, etc., etc.) when Mike was working at
Eliminator about 30 years ago. A pretty nice 'ski boat', especially for barefooting, which Murphy liked a lot at that time. But....breaking into the 'ski boat' market wasn't easy and Eliminator was busy at the time building lots of Daytonas and some nice vee-bottoms.

gn7
02-24-2014, 07:22 PM
The Eliminator 'tournament style' ski boat was a collaboration between Bob Leach and Mike Murphy (Air Chair, Sky Ski, etc., etc.) when Mike was working at
Eliminator about 30 years ago. A pretty nice 'ski boat', especially for barefooting, which Murphy liked a lot at that time. But....breaking into the 'ski boat' market wasn't easy and Eliminator was busy at the time building lots of Daytonas and some nice vee-bottoms.
A friend of mine has a Eliminator Jet skier. That would really freak Grads out. Unless he can't tell the difference, in which case it wouldn't matter.

Eli
02-24-2014, 07:25 PM
A friend of mine has a Eliminator Jet skier. That would really freak Grads out. Unless he can't tell the difference, in which case it wouldn't matter.

I agree, I actually learn a lot from your posts, albeit I spend a lot of time on google trying to figure out the technical stuff, but it's great that you share.

Sent from my Bat Cave

gn7
02-24-2014, 07:31 PM
I guess I don't understand how you guys let Grads get under your skin. Well maybe I should back up, I used to let him get under mine until I figured out that he's harmless. He really means no harm. He picks on just about everything, albeit Jets are probably his favorite boat to pick on. Funny, there were several 100+MPH jets in Parker this weekend and I would bet good money Grads would never make a passenger pass in one. So his jet comments don't really mean to much to me. Very similar to you putting the smack down on DCB's, I personally see no difference.

Every site has its court jester or jesters. I'm not saying Grads is ours, but he does allow us to pick on him and he doesn't shoot back much normally. And I'm not calling him the village idiot either, because he's actually very intelligent. I learned a long ago not to judge a book by its contents. Especially if that book only shows the pages it wants you to see. Anyone can judge a book by its cover :D

Your note above is very good information. With almost every factual post you make, I too learn something. So thank you for that. But don't get too down on the people who are running around in this place, they're actually people too :D

Fair enough.
So Vic, you know the who that is responsible for 100s of these monstrosities that littered the lakes and rivers? It was so bad that if I saw another pink and turquois eliminator outboard, I was going to puke, then go postal. Thank god all those things were either repainted, or taken to the dump. Cause you don't see them anymore, and they were thick as flies on shit everywhere. Like a endless sea of she-man colored boats.
http://www.lionseek.com/images/big/boats/66/319782-1990-dcb-21-eliminator-daytona.jpg

HB Vic
02-24-2014, 07:39 PM
Yes I know. That was the 80's, it's excusable :D

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

28eliminator
02-24-2014, 07:53 PM
And then there is this one too.....For the jet boater who wants to get his fish on?

http://orangecounty.craigslist.org/boa/4345896266.html

In the late 80's, early 90's I spent a lot of time at havasu springs. A good friend of mine (now deceased) had one of these. It looked exactly like this one.. Could very well be it. It was actually a very cool boat. Deck boats back then were pretty ugly, and thes filled the bill but looked a little better.

Sent from somewhere on the water

GRADS
02-24-2014, 07:59 PM
I wonder how many other boats Eliminator built that are no longer around. What did they do with the molds?

gn7
02-24-2014, 08:49 PM
Yes I know. That was the 80's, it's excusable :D

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I guess a bad excuse is better than none, Saying it was the 80s is a about as bad as it gets. I don't remember too many other builders pushing those out the door. Says something about his clientele if they were buying them. Bad enough they were wackers. By I have a feeling the owners were wacking something other than their OBs, and maybe not their own. Thankfully, NOBODY kept them "original" like the Eliminators Grads posted, or other 60s and 70s classic V drives. I could only take one decade of looking at those things.
I wonder how many original owners look at old pictures of theirs and ask "what was I thinking?"

gn7
02-24-2014, 08:52 PM
What gets totally lost here is the fact that families buy boats they can afford.

Not only true, but the first Eliminators posted are pretty cool, and that's exactly what some people are looking for. I could own the whaler. Of course it would need a blown 632 in it. But I still dig Nordic Whalers, and I know somebody building a 21 ft Rayson center steer Whaler new.

rivergames
02-25-2014, 10:12 AM
Yup! My uncle and grandpa picked one up last year. Just like the pic you posted grads, except the boats gel scheme is white, grays and black