Howard

GRADS
02-15-2014, 08:47 PM
Cobra
Ultra
Cheetah

CampbellCarl
02-15-2014, 08:54 PM
Umm, planning to walk that plank again soon?

Tishimself
02-15-2014, 09:25 PM
Umm, planning to walk that plank again soon?

LOL....glad I spend so much time at work...always fun to see what mischief and mayhem GRADS is wreaking on poor old Vic on an otherwise quiet Saturday night. Grads, you gonna have him on heart meds you keep this up...LOL....still, I got my....

:D:D:D

Napanutt
02-15-2014, 09:53 PM
LOL....glad I spend so much time at work...always fun to see what mischief and mayhem GRADS is wreaking on poor old Vic on an otherwise quiet Saturday night. Grads, you gonna have him on heart meds you keep this up...LOL....still, I got my....

:D:D:D

Funny thing is I'm not so sure HB doesn't have an announcer thing to let him know when Grads posts.

Tishimself
02-15-2014, 10:00 PM
Funny thing is I'm not so sure HB doesn't have an announcer thing to let him know when Grads posts.

No doubt in my mind that GRADS has his own unique ringtone....LOL...

GRADS
02-15-2014, 11:49 PM
Back on topic. What builders made it?

Tishimself
02-16-2014, 12:20 AM

Not as many as I would have liked, or hoped. Still, there are several from the other string that I am glad to see gone.

GRADS
02-16-2014, 12:33 AM
I really wish would of made it....because the only thing better than a jet boat is a boat with two jets.

gn7
02-16-2014, 12:39 AM
How many were for sale or still are, and how many went looking for financial help and sold off part to remain open?

WAAAAAY more survived this recession, specially by percentage of builders that remained compared to folded, than in the mid and late 70s gas crunch. The was pure death to the boat builders.
Boat builders were not hurt by an economic down turn. They rode a credit wave that allowed people to use their homes like ATM machines, and credit that most people should never have been afforded. The BOOM years BUILT boat companies that other wise would have never been there to start with.
The joy ride came to an end and things went back to somewhat normalcy. Every Tom, Dick and Harry with a is NOT NORMAL!!
If they all had to close their doors, they ALL made a shit load of money while it lasted!

Tishimself
02-16-2014, 01:11 AM
I really wish would of made it....because the only thing better than a jet boat is a boat with two jets.

One of the ones I am glad to see gone. For sure.

gn7
02-16-2014, 01:22 AM
One of the ones I am glad to see gone. For sure.

That company didn't die, it was still born.

GRADS
02-16-2014, 01:38 AM
That company didn't die, it was still born.
Those poor tadpoles didn't stand a chance. Sorry

HB Vic
02-16-2014, 02:16 AM
If we're gonna bash boats or builders I will lock this down. People bought these boats and are probably still running them today. No need to knock something you have absolutely zero experience with. So let's move on.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wendi
02-16-2014, 06:39 AM
Magic I think

WMC
02-16-2014, 06:41 AM
My magic still makes me happy33577

Sent from my XT907 using Tapatalk

Slacker
02-16-2014, 09:00 AM

E-Ticket

gn7
02-16-2014, 09:28 AM
Magic I think

Good company and good boat that fell into the wrong hands. The recession didn't kill that company, the owner did. and took down some unsuspecting customers in the process. The boating industry is not without its bad people. He is just lucky he never ran into the wrong person on the other side of the sales desk. There are bad people that buy boats as well.

SFV2RVR
02-16-2014, 10:05 AM
Schiada

Wendi
02-16-2014, 10:06 AM
Good company and good boat that fell into the wrong hands. The recession didn't kill that company, the owner did. and took down some unsuspecting customers in the process. The boating industry is not without its bad people. He is just lucky he never ran into the wrong person on the other side of the sales desk. There are bad people that buy boats as well.

Who's the bad people that buy boats?

Slacker
02-16-2014, 10:12 AM

Advantage

ridebig
02-17-2014, 03:40 PM
Conquest

Paul65K
02-17-2014, 03:57 PM
Schiada

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

HB Vic
02-17-2014, 04:11 PM
How many were for sale or still are, and how many went looking for financial help and sold off part to remain open?

WAAAAAY more survived this recession, specially by percentage of builders that remained compared to folded, than in the mid and late 70s gas crunch. The was pure death to the boat builders.
Boat builders were not hurt by an economic down turn. They rode a credit wave that allowed people to use their homes like ATM machines, and credit that most people should never have been afforded. The BOOM years BUILT boat companies that other wise would have never been there to start with.
The joy ride came to an end and things went back to somewhat normalcy. Every Tom, Dick and Harry with a is NOT NORMAL!!
If they all had to close their doors, they ALL made a shit load of money while it lasted!

The boom years built many, many, disposable income businesses that may have not otherwise started up, I somewhat agree with you there. But I'm not sure why you are singling out boat builders. If you sold disposable income items during that time, would you have told your customers "I'm sorry, I can't sell you a boat, or trailer, or motorhome, or Mercedes, or yacht, or airplane, or 2nd, 3rd, 4th home, because I'm certain this wave will crash and I don't want to be a part of it"? I don't think so. The truth is, no one questioned where the money came from, just like today, it still isn't questioned. Its either there or it isn't. There is greed in every segment of our economy, I don't see any point in singling out boat builders when the greed starts at the very top and trickles down to those who sell bottled water.

Taking the frame of mind that anyone in the disposable income market segment should have said "Nope, I refuse to grow in the booming economy" is unrealistic. Now the smart ones grew smartly, the others just took all that extra cash and got deeper in debt. Again, no difference in todays economy except there are just fewer of those getting rich.

I'm not even going to get in to the housing ATM fiasco. Very few people at the time believed the market would crash. The real problem is we've been trained to think our homes are simply an investment, when they are in fact, our homes. Your home is where you raise your family, not what you cash in on every time it gains a few bucks in value. Nuff said there cause its starting to smell political :D

Paul65K
02-17-2014, 04:57 PM
I'm not even going to get in to the housing ATM fiasco. Very few people at the time believed the market would crash. The real problem is we've been trained to think our homes are simply an investment, when they are in fact, our homes. Your home is where you raise your family, not what you cash in on every time it gains a few bucks in value. Nuff said there cause its starting to smell political :D This is the part that I completely agree with......we sometimes forget that all that $$$ came from somewhere....and that somewhere was not a bunch of hicks that didn't know better. It was from a very savvy investment community that like the rest of the folks thought that it was a good bet to loan that $$ because the returns were very good. Many of those loans were at 6-7% interest so they too were taken in with the opportunity and ignored the risk....because candidly up until that time said risk was very, very, very low......good synopsis HotBoat :thumb:

2manymustangs
02-17-2014, 05:54 PM
Yall forgot to list one of the badest MOFOs on the water... DCUCCI... :action-smiley-069:

And yes, they did survive...

I'm not going to TOUCH the SUBPRIME B, C, D, E, F, G, H, I, J, K, L, M, N, O, P, G, R, S, T and so on PAPER loan BOONDOGGLE discussion. OR the G.S.E. Freddie/Fannie FHA/VA/RHS GUBMENT backed trash paper that was rubber stamped by xxxxxxxm Jefferson Cxxxxxxx and PUSHED by the D.B.C. and then later they cried "you tood advantage of UNsuspecting buyers...

AND I'm not going to raise the question of WHERE all the PMI premiums went......

I'm not gonna do it... Nope... :lalala:

gn7
02-17-2014, 06:16 PM
The boom years built many, many, disposable income businesses that may have not otherwise started up, I somewhat agree with you there. But I'm not sure why you are singling out boat builders. If you sold disposable income items during that time, would you have told your customers "I'm sorry, I can't sell you a boat, or trailer, or motorhome, or Mercedes, or yacht, or airplane, or 2nd, 3rd, 4th home, because I'm certain this wave will crash and I don't want to be a part of it"? I don't think so. The truth is, no one questioned where the money came from, just like today, it still isn't questioned. Its either there or it isn't. There is greed in every segment of our economy, I don't see any point in singling out boat builders when the greed starts at the very top and trickles down to those who sell bottled water.

Taking the frame of mind that anyone in the disposable income market segment should have said "Nope, I refuse to grow in the booming economy" is unrealistic. Now the smart ones grew smartly, the others just took all that extra cash and got deeper in debt. Again, no difference in todays economy except there are just fewer of those getting rich.

I'm not even going to get in to the housing ATM fiasco. Very few people at the time believed the market would crash. The real problem is we've been trained to think our homes are simply an investment, when they are in fact, our homes. Your home is where you raise your family, not what you cash in on every time it gains a few bucks in value. Nuff said there cause its starting to smell political :D

I think you missed my point here. I am NOT talking about companies the were in the business before, some Looooooong before the credit fiasco. Those are the companies that are still here.
Many of the companies that aren't were as disposable as the income/credit was for the customer. The bubble pulled the rats and snakes out of their holes, and some of them went into the boat business. Its not the first, and its not the only industry/business it happens to.
Most if not all the builders that are still here are here because the have been thru this and WORSE before, and survived, those that didn't, oh well. Certainly no lose to the sport, and probably no big loss to the person the started or BOUGHT the business. They made their money, and its on to something new.

Who's the bad people that buy boats?
There are no bad people Wendi, and if there were, they certainly wouldn't own boats. Forget I even mentioned it.

HB Vic
02-17-2014, 06:21 PM
Yall forgot to list one of the badest MOFOs on the water... DCUCCI... :action-smiley-069:

I'm not going to TOUCH the SUBPRIME B, C, D, E, F, G, H, I, J, K, L, M, N, O, P, G, R, S, T and so on PAPER loan BOONDOGGLE discussion. OR the G.S.E. Freddie/Fannie FHA/VA/RHS GUBMENT backed trash paper that was rubber stamped by xxxxxxxm Jefferson Cxxxxxxx and PUSHED by the D.B.C. and then later they cried "you tood advantage of UNsuspecting buyers...

AND I'm not going to raise the question of WHERE all the PMI premiums went......

I'm not gonna do it... Nope... :lalala:

Ah thank you sir from refraining. I know how hard it is because it pisses me off too :D

GRADS
02-17-2014, 08:49 PM
Boat builders......stay focused.

2manymustangs
02-17-2014, 08:58 PM
Yall forgot to list one of the badest MOFOs on the water... DCUCCI...

gn7
02-17-2014, 09:10 PM
Boat builders......stay focused.

Try to stay focused on your own thread Grads, YOU were the one that used the word RECESSION in your thread.
What the flock do you figure created the down turn in boat sales, launch ramp fees?

So lets talk about the company names that took a shit, but not the who, or the why, so as to not offend anyone. As we all KNOW, any company that folded was just a victim of the economy, and none were due to a greedy, crooked dealer, shitty product, or anything even remotely like that. I can't think of a single boat company that was in business to launder money. Not a one.

If they aren't today, they either weren't there before the boom, and if the name was there, the owner that shut it down was the original owner.

I cannot think of a single company off hand that folded DUE to the recession, that was there before say 1995, and under the original owner.
We aren't talking about the Detroit Big 3 here people. There were some in the business that their demise is a GOOD THING!
Why do people tend to think that the boat builders that closed isn't a good thing? Who the hell is gone that you personally would like to see have survived the quote unquote "recession" NAME ME ONE!

HB Vic
02-17-2014, 09:28 PM
Try to stay focused on your own thread Grads, YOU were the one that used the word RECESSION in your thread.
What the flock do you figure created the down turn in boat sales, launch ramp fees?

So lets talk about the company names that took a shit, but not the who, or the why, so as to not offend anyone. As we all KNOW, any company that folded was just a victim of the economy, and none were due to a greedy, crooked dealer, shitty product, or anything even remotely like that. I can't think of a single boat company that was in business to launder money. Not a one.

If they aren't today, they either weren't there before the boom, and if the name was there, the owner that shut it down was the original owner.

I cannot think of a single company off hand that folded DUE to the recession, that was there before say 1995, and under the original owner.

Why do people tend to think that the boat builders that closed isn't a good thing? Who the hell is gone that you personally would like to see have survived the quote unquote "recession" NAME ME ONE!

Why talk about who's NOT here? Not like anyone is going to run out and try and buy a boat from them. Why not talk about who weathered the storm? I can be just as negative as the next guy, but I honestly do prefer to look at the glass as half full. Otherwise whats the point?

Its 2014. 1995 was 100 years ago and it'll never come back. Much like the wild wild west :D

gn7
02-17-2014, 10:17 PM
Why talk about who's NOT here? Not like anyone is going to run out and try and buy a boat from them. Why not talk about who weathered the storm? I can be just as negative as the next guy, but I honestly do prefer to look at the glass as half full. Otherwise whats the point?

Its 2014. 1995 was 100 years ago and it'll never come back. Much like the wild wild west :D

Whats to talk about? They were there LOOOONG before, and they are still there today. So?
You guys are trying to tie the economy into who and who isn't. The who IS has nothing to with the economy, and the who ISN'T has everything to do with it. Is that some mystery?
You can say the same thing about dozens of industries and businesses, and for the very same reasons.

"Those that fail to to learn from history are doomed to repeat it"
George Santayana

Shut your eyes tight enough Vic, and it all becomes Kumbaya and Utopia.

HB Vic
02-17-2014, 10:24 PM
Whats to talk about? They were there LOOOONG before, and they are still there today. So?
You guys are trying to tie the economy into who and who isn't. The who IS has nothing to with the economy, and the who ISN'T has everything to do with it. Is that some mystery?
You can say the same thing about dozens of industries and businesses, and for the very same reasons.

Us guys? No sir, just me here. Am I trying to tie the economy in to who's still here and who's gone? Not necessarily. But like we both said earlier, the housing boom definitely spawned several new boat builders who are no longer here. All I'm saying is why talk about them if they're gone, that's all.

gn7
02-17-2014, 10:32 PM
Us guys? No sir, just me here. Am I trying to tie the economy in to who's still here and who's gone? Not necessarily. But like we both said earlier, the housing boom definitely spawned several new boat builders who are no longer here. All I'm saying is why talk about them if they're gone, that's all.
ALL of who, to the man, had NO business being in the business, was in it for the sake of "opportunity", left when the money dried up, and moved to something else. Probably buying up foreclosures.
There is too sides to the industry, but lets only talk about the good side. Makes for better more pleasing discussion. For the sake of dipshits that bought boats for these people, lets not discuss the boats they made, so as not to offend anybody.
Like I said, its a stupid thread. Of course it is, look who started the flipping thing.

HB Vic
02-17-2014, 10:38 PM
ALL of who, to the man, had NO business being in the business, was in it for the sake of "opportunity", left when the money dried up, and moved to something else. Probably buying up foreclosures.
There is too sides to the industry, but lets only talk about the good side. Makes for better more pleasing discussion. For the sake of dipshits that bought boats for these people, lets not discuss the boats they made, so as not to offend anybody.
Like I said, its a stupid thread. Of course it is, look who started the flipping thing.

I thought we weren't going to talk about them?

Did you read my business banker dinner post in the other thread? :D

gn7
02-17-2014, 10:54 PM
I thought we weren't going to talk about them?

Did you read my business banker dinner post in the other thread? :D

No I didn't see it.
I won't talk about them. Take some advice, tell you friends considering buying a used boat, to consider if the company is still in business, and if its the original owner or at least one that weathered the storm. because we can't discuss the defunct companies here and the WHYs. Because we sure can't discuss on here if a potential purchase is considered. We could offend a member that was stupid enough to have bought one already.

GRADS
02-17-2014, 10:54 PM
Like I said, its the best thread ever. Of course it is, look who started the flipping thing.

:thumbup:

gn7
02-17-2014, 10:55 PM
:thumbup:

Isn't there a rule on this site about changing somebodies post when you quote it. Or do you have special swingers only privileges.

GRADS
02-17-2014, 11:06 PM
Isn't there a rule on this site about how awesome one person can be, because Grads is breaking all the rules.

Thanks man.

HB Vic
02-17-2014, 11:09 PM
No I didn't see it.
I won't talk about them. Take some advice, tell you friends considering buying a used boat, to consider if the company is still in business, and if its the original owner or at least one that weathered the storm. because we can't discuss the defunct companies here and the WHYs. Because we sure can't discuss on here if a potential purchase is considered. We could offend a member that was stupid enough to have bought one already.

Ok GN7 thank you

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Paul65K
02-17-2014, 11:10 PM
And now......back to boating Content;

Bayliner
Cobalt

gn7
02-17-2014, 11:47 PM
And now......back to boating Content;

Bayliner
Cobalt

You are aware this is a near endless list if we include every company that built a row boat canoe, or inflatable
The list of 'the who didn't" is much MUCH shorter. But I guess its not nearly as positive, just more expedient.

Paul65K
02-18-2014, 06:43 AM
You are aware this is a near endless list if we include every company that built a row boat canoe, or inflatable
The list of 'the who didn't" is much MUCH shorter. But I guess its not nearly as positive, just more expedient.Fair enough and to be clear your comments which are rather dismissive (imagine that) have little to do with the overall health of the boat building industry.

My post was designed to make the point that the biggest companies building boats also made it through the downturn (shall I explain it further)......Bayliner is anything but a small boat builder.....just in case you missed the irony of that:secret:.

Tishimself
02-18-2014, 08:28 AM
Fair enough and to be clear your comments which are rather dismissive (imagine that) have little to do with the overall health of the boat building industry.

My post was designed to make the point that the biggest companies building boats also made it through the downturn (shall I explain it further......Bayliner is anything but a small boat builder.....just in case you missed the irony of that:secret:.

I'm farirly sure that irony is not allowed in here...please refrain from using it in the future as you just saw, most people miss it entirely. :D

Paul65K
02-18-2014, 08:29 AM
I'm farirly sure that irony is not allowed in here...please refrain from using it in the future as you just saw, most people miss it entirely. :D
Yeah........WTH was I thinking??:smackhead

gn7
02-18-2014, 08:38 AM
My post wasn't meant to infer that only small companies make canoes. I'm not the moron you have convinced yourself I am. My point is, if you are to name every company that built a water vessel that is still in business, its going to be a very long list. Like I said much earlier, those that are here today where here long ago, and most survived he 70s fuel fiasco, and couple other recessions. Some including the depression of the 30s.

So, lets be reasonable here, the so this last down turn didn't take out a single boat company that was either terribly run and hanging by a thread to begin with, or chose to get out when the gold mine ran dry.

Your listing Cobalt and Bayliner on HOT BOAT in near laughable to start with and they are far from small. Hey, guess who else survived Mercury and OMC. How surprising is that??

Tishimself
02-18-2014, 08:42 AM
Yeah........WTH was I thinking??:smackhead

I strongly advise that you stick with obvious irony such as " writing with a broken pencil is pointless" so as to avoid future misses of it by the obviously irony challenged amongst us....:)