PDA

View Full Version : Doug Herbert Fans

WESTERNAERO
02-07-2014, 07:30 PM
Any Doug Herbert fans out there? Got this from Doug maybe 10? years ago. Is it worth anything? It has been In my hallway closet ever since I got it.

Stainless
02-07-2014, 07:45 PM
Hard to say since he's not actively racing. That has nice contrast! He is spear-heading a very noble cause, "Brakes" for young drivers. If your inclined to sell, might try eBay with a high reserve.

Bench race driver of the NHRA 16X Castrol GTX Mustang

WESTERNAERO
02-07-2014, 07:49 PM
It's kind of a one a kind. We spent weekend with in his pits at Pomona. I'm not sure if it was new or one of his, do you think it's worth something? I'm not big on sports memorabilia so I wouldn't even know where to start with a reserve.

GRADS
02-07-2014, 08:01 PM
Who is he?

Stainless
02-07-2014, 08:02 PM
I searched Doug Herbert on eBay and found this for sale, not an actual helmet. I like yours better!
http://www.ebay.com/itm/SNAP-ON-DOUG-HERBERT-HELMET-VHTF-CD-PLAYER-SUPER-COLLECTIBLE-RARE-A-MUST-HAVE-/251441806953?pt=Apparel_Merchandise&hash=item3a8b197e69&vxp=mtr

WESTERNAERO
02-07-2014, 08:04 PM
Who is he?

NHRA top fuel driver.

Stainless
02-07-2014, 08:05 PM
Who is he?

NHRA Top Fuel driver, presently not full time. Mostly races around his home state North Carolina.

WESTERNAERO
02-07-2014, 08:09 PM
I searched Doug Herbert on eBay and found this for sale, not an actual helmet. I like yours better!
http://www.ebay.com/itm/SNAP-ON-DOUG-HERBERT-HELMET-VHTF-CD-PLAYER-SUPER-COLLECTIBLE-RARE-A-MUST-HAVE-/251441806953?pt=Apparel_Merchandise&hash=item3a8b197e69&vxp=mtr

LOL, I remember those, they weren't that much new.

The Doctor
02-07-2014, 08:27 PM
Doug is a good friend. Son of Chet Herbert of "Herbert Cams" fame. He's now a successful performance parts vendor and occassional NHRA Top Fuel driver although lately he's been creeping up on some sponsorship opportunities that could put him back in the seat sooner than later. While testing in Phoenix a few years back he got the news that his two sons James and Jon were both killed in the same auto accident. More tragic than most could bear but Doug started the BRAKES (Be Responsible And Keep Everyone Safe) program as a legacy to their memory. He's now trained thousands of teen agers to handle "unique" road conditions and driving tips that have no-doubt saved lives - maybe many lives. What a way to honor your lost family members? :D

He's a three time IHRA series champion! He's won ten NHRA events and he's done some things that make him stand out far beyond that of racing. He's an accomplished large jet pilot and has owned his own jets over the years. Some of the charity work he has done has defined him for guys like me. The assistance he provided fellow racer, Billy Williams gave me the perfect picture of who Doug was. He's as good a man as I know and you are lucky to have this piece of history.

WESTERNAERO
02-07-2014, 08:35 PM
Doug is a good friend. Son of Chet Herbert of "Herbert Cams" fame. He's now a successful performance parts vendor and occassional NHRA Top Fuel driver although lately he's been creeping up on some sponsorship opportunities that could put him back in the seat sooner than later. While testing in Phoenix a few years back he got the news that his two sons James and Jon were both killed in the same auto accident. More tragic than most could bear but Doug started the BRAKES (Be Responsible And Keep Everyone Safe) program as a legacy to their memory. He's now trained thousands of teen agers to handle "unique" road conditions and driving tips that have no-doubt saved lives - maybe many lives. What a way to honor your lost family members? :D

He's a three time IHRA series champion! He's won ten NHRA events and he's done some things that make him stand out far beyond that of racing. He's an accomplished large jet pilot and has owned his own jets over the years. Some of the charity work he has done has defined him for guys like me. The assistance he provided fellow racer, Billy Williams gave me the perfect picture of who Doug was. He's as good a man as I know and you are lucky to have this piece of history.
He was probability the nicest and most gracious person I ever met in a racing aspect, so all of what you said, I second. I did not know that about his sons, very sad.

nowski
02-07-2014, 09:11 PM
Doug is an incredible guy who is very giving in many ways. In regards to your helmet if you want to sell it put it up on E-bay or maybe donate it back to B.R.A.K.E.S. to sell at a silent auction to help with Doug's cause... http://www.putonthebrakes.com/

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7j4TYDQdja4

boatnam1
02-07-2014, 10:18 PM
Probably one the craziest motor explosions i ever seen was by Doug about 10 years ago at pomona, we were sitting towards the top of the stands and a peice of metal bounced off my buddies forhead.

The Doctor
02-07-2014, 10:54 PM
Probably one the craziest motor explosions i ever seen was by Doug about 10 years ago at pomona, we were sitting towards the top of the stands and a peice of metal bounced off my buddies forhead.

Probably the most violent I've ever seen as well. A kid was walking the pits with his fuel pump which went over the stands into the pits and Doug bought it back from the kid on the spot for $100. I think there are still parts from that one in parts of Pomona.

RvrRat350
02-12-2014, 02:59 AM
That was a big one!!!
and as others have said one of the nicest guys out there!!

Probably the most violent I've ever seen as well. A kid was walking the pits with his fuel pump which went over the stands into the pits and Doug bought it back from the kid on the spot for $100. I think there are still parts from that one in parts of Pomona.

Stainless
02-12-2014, 05:43 AM
That was a big one!!!
and as others have said one of the nicest guys out there!!

Hey RR350, are you a bench racer? Every NHRA Sun we plan to have a little get together here to discuss who's the best driver. :D

CH3NO2

Eli
02-12-2014, 06:30 AM
Hey RR350, are you a bench racer? Every NHRA Sun we plan to have a little get together here to discuss who's the best driver. :D

CH3NO2

We should start on Friday. And We already know Courtney is the best. She's just gained some unnecessary weight she needs to dump :D

Sent from my Bat Cave

Stainless
02-12-2014, 06:33 AM
We should start on Friday. And We already know Courtney is the best. She's just gained some unnecessary weight she needs to dump :D

Sent from my Bat Cave

What's he giving her that you can't? :p

CH3NO2

Eli
02-12-2014, 06:35 AM
What's he giving her that you can't? :p

CH3NO2

:lmao I just spit out my coffee!

Sent from my Bat Cave

Stainless
02-12-2014, 06:38 AM
:lmao i just spit out my coffee!

Sent from my bat cave

:D

ch3no2

RvrRat350
02-12-2014, 09:36 PM

CH3NO2
try and go to the Pomona events but have missed the last 4
there are drivers i like and some i dont care for
i like to root for the under dog!

Stainless
02-13-2014, 05:52 AM
try and go to the Pomona events but have missed the last 4
there are drivers i like and some i dont care for
i like to root for the under dog!

Pick a driver and bench race with us during the Phoenix race. Force drivers and Wilkerson are taken, but the rest of the FC field is available including Hagan. It's more about drinking a few beers and kicking each other in the nuts on here. :yikes:

CH3NO2