PDA

View Full Version : CVS to discontinue tobacco sales

Stainless
02-05-2014, 06:15 AM
Effective Oct 1, I always thought it to be an oxymoron for pharmacies to sell tobacco products.

CH3NO2

HB Vic
02-05-2014, 07:21 AM
Effective Oct 1, I always thought it to be an oxymoron for pharmacies to sell tobacco products.

CH3NO2

As long as they don't stop carrying booze LOL

Stainless
02-05-2014, 07:35 AM

Correct, I consider alcohol an antiseptic and analgesic. ;)

CH3NO2

riverrunner1984
02-05-2014, 08:09 AM

Rite aid has really good deals on Booze especially when the beer is on sale...

bubblegoose1
02-05-2014, 09:01 AM

CH3NO2

That's a good start.

Paul65K
02-05-2014, 09:27 AM
Personally I'm torn. On the one hand I am all for personal rights......if you want to ride a motorcycle (or ATV/UTV) without a helmet and you are of legal age it should be up to you and not some bureaucrat making the decision.

Smoking on the other hand has repercussions from 2nd hand smoke and so the argument is more complicated.........If CVS thinks it's good for their overall business to not sell tobacco then it's up to them and the market will let them know if it;s a good decision or not......but the good thing is that is is THEIR decision and not one that someone else says they need to do!!

In this case I have to support the approach and I for one will likely go to CVS and not Walgreen's at least for the time being as result. If it turns out that their customer base tells them (with their pocket books) that this is a bad decision they can always start up sales again and they won't have to worry about convincing some politician that it's OK to do so.

my .02

ChumpChange
02-05-2014, 09:44 AM
Cigarrettes are a high gross, low margin product. It gets people in the door for higher margin products but they themselves don't add much to the bottom line.

riverrunner1984
02-05-2014, 10:30 AM
When I used to smoke, I went to Walgreens, they always had my and my girls cigs on sale when you buy two...
Now that we stopped smoking we still go to wallgreens.

Stainless
02-05-2014, 10:38 AM
Who can afford to smoke at these prices? Isn't most of the price a sin tax?http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/02/06/ygebusug.jpg

CH3NO2

GRADS
02-05-2014, 10:43 AM
Jet Boaters are gonna be pissed.....

Stainless
02-05-2014, 10:53 AM

That went over my head, can you explain?

CH3NO2

ChumpChange
02-05-2014, 11:17 AM

You mean Roll Boaters?

McRib
02-05-2014, 11:24 AM
Cvs is saying this is a 2 billion dollar a year decision. I doubt investors are gonna let this happen for long

ChumpChange
02-05-2014, 11:28 AM
Cvs is saying this is a 2 billion dollar a year decision. I doubt investors are gonna let this happen for long

To to the top line. I'm betting very little of that $2Billion makes it to the bottom. As stated, high gross, low margin product. There's a lot of capital used in selling tobacco. There are no terms to the state. For the wholesalers with a stamp, the minute you stamp it, the taxes are owed. It's a crazy business.

niceguyeddie
02-05-2014, 11:38 AM
I could care less. We have a decade war going, massive debt, the government spying on us and far more important issues to waste time and energy worrying about what CVS is doing. We may as well be talking about that Fast and the Furious actor that died or what my dog had for dinner two weeks ago.

Cigarrettes are a high gross, low margin product. It gets people in the door for higher margin products but they themselves don't add much to the bottom line.

Yep!

The Quick Stop by my house has the lowest cigarette prices I've seen in a while for CA at $5.25 a pack. I usually buy them there as it's a skateboard ride away. Then again I smoke about two packs a month so the prices don't really concern me.

If you want to save money on smokes, buy them at the river from the Native American gas stations.

Wendi
02-05-2014, 11:43 AM
I'm so glad I'm not a smoker!

McRib
02-05-2014, 11:53 AM
I'm so glad I'm not a smoker!

I haven't bought a pack in weeks. However, I've bummed a few here and there in a stressed out moment or after a good heavy meal. The price alone now a days is enough to quit. It's ridiculous. I have been trying to get the wife to stop but she's weak and full of excuses. The only time I fall off the non smoking Wagon is when I'm drinking. I'm Soooo not gonna quit drinking! :P

Wendi
02-05-2014, 11:57 AM
I haven't bought a pack in weeks. However, I've bummed a few here and there in a stressed out moment or after a good heavy meal. The price alone now a days is enough to quit. It's ridiculous. I have been trying to get the wife to stop but she's weak and full of excuses. The only time I fall off the non smoking Wagon is when I'm drinking. I'm Soooo not gonna quit drinking! :P Drinker Smoker that is what you are. And so is WMC... I'm doing another 30 days oh yeah!

McRib
02-05-2014, 12:00 PM
Come April you'll be back to being a drinker. Lol.

sent from the poor house

Stainless
02-05-2014, 12:01 PM
I'm doing another 30 days oh yeah!

You're making the rest of us look like alcoholics. :(

CH3NO2

Wendi
02-05-2014, 12:03 PM
You're making the rest of us look like alcoholics. :(

CH3NO2 You said it not me Haha. I'm kidding. I have Needles in 2 weeks there is no way I can not drink there. 2mma would kill me.

ChumpChange
02-05-2014, 12:08 PM
Since when is 2 Billion "not much"?

For the nine months ending 9/30/2013, CVS Caremark was at $32 Billion in sales with Gross Profit of just over $6 Billion. I'm saying that the $2 Billion in Gross off the cigarettes probably nets them a few million off that product which is minuscule compared to the overall profit margin of the company. They may be a loss leader for other higher margined products but only time will tell. This is when $2 Billion is "not much"......when it's viewed in the entire picture of this company.

Edit: Those numbers were for three months. For the nine months ending 9/30, they are at $93 Billion in sales with $17.5 Billion in Gross Profit. The $2Billion is less than 2% of their gross sales.

hbchgirl
02-05-2014, 12:25 PM
Who can afford to smoke at these prices? Isn't most of the price a sin tax?http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/02/06/ygebusug.jpg

CH3NO2

I know... it's ridiculous!

RPB
02-05-2014, 01:55 PM
For the nine months ending 9/30/2013, CVS Caremark was at $32 Billion in sales with Gross Profit of just over $6 Billion. I'm saying that the $2 Billion in Gross off the cigarettes probably nets them a few million off that product which is minuscule compared to the overall profit margin of the company. They may be a loss leader for other higher margined products but only time will tell. This is when $2 Billion is "not much"......when it's viewed in the entire picture of this company.

Edit: Those numbers were for three months. For the nine months ending 9/30, they are at $93 Billion in sales with $17.5 Billion in Gross Profit. The $2Billion is less than 2% of their gross sales.

You seem to be co-mingling economics with politics or at the least economics with "political correctness". Alcohol costs society more in terms of health, safety and social costs than cigarettes...yet they did not stop selling alcohol. I think the real story is that by not selling that 2 Billion worth of FDA approved smokes the children will suffer as each state affected will recieve fewer education dollars in relation to the tax collected.

Conclusion: CVS hates kids and wants them to be stupid.

ChumpChange
02-05-2014, 02:20 PM
I haven't brought up politics one bit. I'm talking pure profitability to CVS. What happens after the purchase I can care less about and have not even brought up in this conversation. Alcohol has a huge profit margin so why would they stop selling something that affects their bottom line. As stated, Cigs have a LOW profit margin! The goal in business is to have a Hight Profit Margin hence the decision to rid themselves of tobacco. If CVS wants to pass that on as social responsibility, then that's their call but in reality, they're probably not making enough money off them.

WESTERNAERO
02-05-2014, 02:21 PM
You seem to be co-mingling economics with politics or at the least economics with "political correctness". Alcohol costs society more in terms of health, safety and social costs than cigarettes...yet they did not stop selling alcohol. I think the real story is that by not selling that 2 Billion worth of FDA approved smokes the children will suffer as each state affected will recieve fewer education dollars in relation to the tax collected.

:lmao ...

Eli
02-05-2014, 03:00 PM
I'm still confused as to why anyone smokes? It stinks, fucks up your breath, your teeth and your skin. Maybe it's that super sexy smoker's cough?

Sent from my Bat Cave

Eli
02-05-2014, 03:03 PM

It's simple

Cigarettes make people ugly. The more you smoke the less attractive you become.

Alcohol makes people look fantastic. The more you drink the better looking everyone becomes.

Sent from my Bat Cave

WESTERNAERO
02-05-2014, 03:11 PM
It's simple

Cigarettes make people ugly. The more you smoke the less attractive you become.

Alcohol makes people look fantastic. The more you drink the better looking everyone becomes.

Sent from my Bat Cave

And this is a fact? Or just another opinion?

Eli
02-05-2014, 03:13 PM
And this is a fact? Or just another opinion?

It may be completely inaccurate. I had a lot to drink on the yacht and it did nothing to improve your looks :D

Sent from my Bat Cave

McRib
02-05-2014, 03:19 PM
It may be completely inaccurate. I had a lot to drink on the yacht and it did nothing to improve your looks :D

Sent from my Bat Cave

And yet you still let him hit it. :P

Eli
02-05-2014, 03:21 PM

I really don't appreciate you making comments like that. That's neither funny nor appropriate.

Sent from my Bat Cave

McRib
02-05-2014, 03:24 PM
I really don't appreciate you making comments like that. That's neither funny nor appropriate.

Sent from my Bat Cave

It was a joke based on zero knowledge of anything and really no different then any of ur zingers I've read on the boards. Now that I know u can't take what u dish I'll mind my p's and q's with you.

sent from the poor house

WESTERNAERO
02-05-2014, 03:26 PM

Sent from my Bat Cave
Oh really!???

WESTERNAERO
02-05-2014, 03:27 PM

Would touch that shit if you paid me bother.

Eli
02-05-2014, 03:27 PM
It was a joke based on zero knowledge of anything and really no different then any of ur zingers I've read on the boards. Now that I know u can't take what u dish I'll mind my p's and q's with you.

sent from the poor house

I know it's a joke and you know it's a joke, but the thousands of people who read these posts don't.

Minding your p's and q's is one thing...suggesting I "let him hit it" is another. I don't mind the jokes, obviously, but that was tasteless.

Sent from my Bat Cave

Eli
02-05-2014, 03:28 PM
Would touch that shit if you paid me bother.

See what I mean. He's the only one suggesting you would...in a joke. No need to take it personal right?

Sent from my Bat Cave

Eli
02-05-2014, 03:29 PM
Oh really!???

:D

Sent from my Bat Cave

McRib
02-05-2014, 03:32 PM
I know it's a joke and you know it's a joke, but the thousands of people who read these posts don't.

Minding your p's and q's is one thing...suggesting I "let him hit it" is another. I don't mind the jokes, obviously, but that was tasteless.

Sent from my Bat Cave

I'm not in the biz of caring about what people who don't know me think. Hell, I don't care what the people that do know me think. No one is getting prim and proper from me. Taste? Pffft! :D

sent from the poor house

Eli
02-05-2014, 03:33 PM
I'm not in the biz of caring about what people who don't know me think. Hell, I don't care what the people that do know me think. No one is getting prim and proper from me. Taste? Pffft! :D

sent from the poor house

:D okay McRibbie ;)

Sent from my Bat Cave

McRib
02-05-2014, 03:34 PM
:D okay McRibbie ;)

Sent from my Bat Cave

U know I love ya. ;) u my favorite 2. Lol

sent from the poor house

Eli
02-05-2014, 03:41 PM

sent from the poor house

I know. :D

RPB
02-05-2014, 04:29 PM
I haven't brought up politics one bit. I'm talking pure profitability to CVS. What happens after the purchase I can care less about and have not even brought up in this conversation. Alcohol has a huge profit margin so why would they stop selling something that affects their bottom line. As stated, Cigs have a LOW profit margin! The goal in business is to have a Hight Profit Margin hence the decision to rid themselves of tobacco. If CVS wants to pass that on as social responsibility, then that's their call but in reality, they're probably not making enough money off them.

Please provide the comparative data of alcohol vs. cigarette profit margin.

Candy, chapstick, bubblegum also have a low margin....yet they continue to stock it. Lots of products have inherent low margins (gas at the pump...pennies per gallon sold), however collectively as part of a broadspectrum offering the hedge pays. Intentionally cutting 6+% of annual revenue does not seem to be trivial.

You should have brought up politics.....it (your analysis) would have made more sense.

Paul65K
02-05-2014, 05:17 PM

sent from the poor house

I know. :DGet a room you 2 :rolleyes

McRib
02-05-2014, 05:23 PM
Get a room you 2 :rolleyes

I tried. :(

sent from the poor house

niceguyeddie
02-05-2014, 06:29 PM
I went to CVS today and bought some Excedrin. While there I bought a pack of smokes. Hopefully they'll be worth money someday.

Stainless
02-05-2014, 06:38 PM
I went to CVS today and bought some Excedrin. While there I bought a pack of smokes. Hopefully they'll be worth money someday.

:D

Bench race driver of the NHRA 16X Castrol GTX Mustang