PDA

View Full Version : H1 Unlimited boats will not be coming back to Folsom Lake this year

GRADS
01-28-2014, 11:25 PM
They are saying the lake is not big enough to accommodate a race course. But will be back in 2015

http://www.h1unlimited.com/2014/01/folsom-lake-too-dry-for-2014/

The pits in 2013

And what it looks like now

papaletch4130
01-28-2014, 11:50 PM
Good to hear!! No blow dryers this year!!

GRADS
01-28-2014, 11:53 PM
Good to hear!! No blow dryers this year!!

Those are the boats that get people in the stands to watch the insignificant races.

gn7
01-29-2014, 12:14 AM
Those are the boats that get people in the stands to watch the insignificant races.

I have been to San Diego when the Unlimiteds didn't run and the crowd was about the same.
Try running the POS by themselves without the "insignificant races" and see how the crown turns out.
Who the fuck wants to watch 4 run a heat and sit around for 3 hours until the next heat?

The unlimited have been the circus side show for the past 20+ years.

GRADS
01-29-2014, 12:36 AM
Who the fuck wants to watch 4 run a heat and sit around for 3 hours until the next heat?

The unlimited have been the circus side show for the past 20+ years.

I agree that the down time and actual race time was a bummer but when they showed it on all 5 news stations for a week they never showed any other boats on tv other than the H1's.

gn7
01-29-2014, 12:55 AM
When you only have 5 minutes to show the races on the news, its understandable.
Imagine being at the races for two days of 75% nothing happening. You'll be begging to watch PWCs

Some of the dipshit promoters have the same attitude you do, and see less and less of the "insignificant" boats showing up and wonder why.
When there are no "insignificant" boats running, watch how fast the crowds dwindle to nothing.

GRADS
01-29-2014, 01:19 AM
Well we are going to find out this year.... The same promoter is doing an event minus the H1's this year. https://www.facebook.com/BigWakeWeekend . We'll see if it draws the 30,000 people the H1's did.

gn7
01-29-2014, 01:44 AM
Well we are going to find out this year.... The same promoter is doing an event minus the H1's this year. https://www.facebook.com/BigWakeWeekend . We'll see if it draws the 30,000 people the H1's did.

Hard to say. But I bet he makes a lot more money. Takes one hell of lot of spectators to pay for those unlimited. They think they are worth a million dollars a day. That's why there are so few of them, and why there are so few races. Very few promoters are willing to pay them what they think they are worth.

GRADS
01-29-2014, 03:20 PM
Hard to say. But I bet he makes a lot more money. Takes one hell of lot of spectators to pay for those unlimited. They think they are worth a million dollars a day. That's why there are so few of them, and why there are so few races. Very few promoters are willing to pay them what they think they are worth.

Is that really what they want? A million? :yikes:

GotHalos
01-29-2014, 06:27 PM
Still can't believe how low water levels are up there, that's crazy.

Hondoboat
01-29-2014, 08:19 PM
The promoter did an exit poll last year and the majority wanted drag boats in nor cal over the H1's. You can't compare crowds from Folsom to Camp Far West, very different venue.

Napanutt
01-29-2014, 08:42 PM
Someone sent the wife this pic of Berryessa glory hole
http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/01/30/ry5y4eju.jpg
I've never seen it that low.

GRADS
01-29-2014, 10:05 PM
Someone sent the wife this pic of Berryessa glory hole
http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/01/30/ry5y4eju.jpg
I've never seen it that low.

That Glory Hole scared the shit out me as a kid....still kind of does. The picture doesn't show how big it really is.

HB Vic
01-29-2014, 10:22 PM
Is that really what they want? A million? :yikes:

I've heard big bucks too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

GRADS
01-29-2014, 10:38 PM
The promoter did an exit poll last year and the majority wanted drag boats in nor cal over the H1's. You can't compare crowds from Folsom to Camp Far West, very different venue.

I'm not sure if I'm buying that. I was there everyday...I didn't get asked. When the H1's raced everyone watched, when the other boats raced people hit the pits of the H1's or the beer garden.

RogerThat99
01-30-2014, 09:18 AM
I've heard big bucks too.

Being a State Park, I am sure the fees to rent Granite Bay at Folsom Lake is pricey also.

gn7
01-30-2014, 01:24 PM
Being a State Park, I am sure the fees to rent Granite Bay at Folsom Lake is pricey also.

The state parks are pure low life muggers.
For example Puddingstone. They not only charge the club/promoter a hefty fee for the use of the water, they charge at the gate for every car entering the park, that is independent of the gate fee to the races. So you get to pay twice to watch a race there.
AND THEY CHARGE THIS TO THE RACERS THEMSELVES!!!! The very people that are 100% responsible for the HUGE increase in the gate.
So they not only get unbelievably more people thru the gates then a normal weekend, that they are allowed to "legally" rape, but they charge the very people that brought those people to the gates to get raped.

GRADS
01-30-2014, 01:30 PM
I heard a figure that the promoter had to pony up 1 million bucks to folsom lake state parks.

gn7
01-30-2014, 02:49 PM
I heard a figure that the promoter had to pony up 1 million bucks to folsom lake state parks.

How much did he have to pay the primadonnas with the U boats?
Like I said, about the only people that can promote one of those races and turn a reasonable profit are cities that have control or easy access to the water.
San Diego, Lake Havasu City, Madison Wis, Detroit.

I have attended unlimited races at San Diego, Columbia River, Pearl Harbor, Lake Havasu, Lake Mead, and Coeur d'Alene and Seattle.
I can only tell you that they have steadily DOWN HILL thru the years, and the last unlimited I watched was at Havasu only because I was there and it cost me nothing to watch. I would never pay a dime to watch them today. If you gave me race tickets and airline tickets, I wouldn't go.

Sharp shooter
01-30-2014, 02:52 PM
I would never pay a dime to watch them today. If you gave me race tickets and airline tickets, I wouldn't go.

What if they were all still piston powered? :D

gn7
01-30-2014, 03:49 PM
What if they were all still piston powered? :D

You know Jerry, that's a tough call. I think I would really dig them if they were still able to run Allisons and RRs. Even twin V8s. But I don't see that ever being an option. The aircraft engines are all used up, and to valuable to the war bird restorers. The twin V8s have never proven to be very reliable when fast.

A single V8 like the GP hydros is OK for a couple events, then I loose interest. Some of it has to do with the courses they run. Like watching drag races from a block away, and no fuelers, no noise.

I have watched and participated in boat races in a lot of places, and its hard to beat spectating a boat race at Parker or Long Beach. I don't care whats on the water.
Give me a good stacked field of K and GNs at Long Beach over a field of unlimited at Havasu or San Diego anyday.

Drags at Havasu, or Firebird are killer as well.

ChumpChange
01-30-2014, 08:41 PM
These threads make me enjoy this site. Passionate debates!

papaletch4130
01-30-2014, 09:00 PM
Dont hurt Grads feelings Bob. I dont want to have to read another one of his drama queen threads trying to get attention.. Fuck I was hoping he was leaving for good. Never read so much pointless shit out of someone ever..

ChumpChange
01-30-2014, 09:03 PM
never read so much pointless shit out of someone ever..

Ever??

papaletch4130
01-30-2014, 09:18 PM
That I can think of.. haha

ChumpChange
01-30-2014, 09:40 PM
That I can think of.. haha

I can see your argument from a percentage basis but not in regards to mass quantity. :D

GRADS
01-30-2014, 10:02 PM
Never read so much pointless shit out of someone ever..

You've obviously never met RD. ;)

papaletch4130
01-31-2014, 08:34 AM
No and I do not care to.. But he doesnt post annoying ass shit like some.. Well have a good day all... Its Friday bitches!!!