PDA

View Full Version : Recycling and being "green"

Ziggy
01-25-2014, 10:49 PM
I have totally become the recycle nut, officially.:yes:
Not only do I save, crush and return all my aluminum, #1 and #2 plastics(which nets me at least a few hundy each year) but I dismantle everything that I discard for recycling. Toilet and paper towel rolls, all our shred paper.....you name it it goes in the blue bin.
My city takes every plastic from #1 through #7, glass, tin, metal, styrofoam and basically anything paper. Any product we buy that has any of these components goes for recycling, whether or not I have to disassemble it to any degree. Florescent, cfl bulbs I take to either Lowes or HDepot. Plastic bags and shrink wrap shit goes to the boxes at the grocery or hardware stores too.
The biggest difference I have noticed is my 95Gal curbside blue recycle bin is at least 3/4+ full every week whereas my trash bin usually has one kitchen size bag and maybe 3 grocery bag sized other trash. Not long ago I had 3 or 4 33 gal trash cans bulging every week.
So is anyone else as crazy as I in regards to trying to make a difference? I must say I do feel good about what I'm doing, especially looking back at how we really did abuse our earth in years past. It actually bothers me a little now when I see young kids just toss everything in the trash:smackbum:
:D

SBS933
01-25-2014, 10:58 PM
I could give a FUCK about that green bullshit, it is all designed to make a profit for politicians and their cronies. But I cash in my cans, and all plastic. You'd be a fool not to, Big Bucks in that shit.

hbchgirl
01-25-2014, 11:15 PM
Good for you, that takes a lot of effort! We return plastics, bottles and cans.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Stainless
01-26-2014, 07:21 AM
I'm obsessed with it to Ziggy, doing all the stuff you do. No payback on plastic here, just aluminum. ;)

CH3NO2

nowski
01-26-2014, 07:35 AM
I'm obsessed with it to Ziggy, doing all the stuff you do. No payback on plastic here, just aluminum. ;)

CH3NO2 I'm into recycling as well but just carbide for me. I bring over a little box and walk away with a crap load of cash thats how I roll... I leave the plastic and aluminum to my wife...

Stainless
01-26-2014, 07:42 AM
I'm into recycling as well but just carbide for me. I bring over a little box and walk away with a crap load of cash thats how I roll... I leave the plastic and aluminum to my wife...

You guys have it good in Cali, we don't get squat in AZ, J/K. :D

CH3NO2

Wendi
01-26-2014, 08:12 AM
I have always recycled not as hardcore as you ziggy. But my gray bin is always full and maybe 2 green kitchen trash bags. It can be very easy. Cans, bottles, plastic and boxes just set in my one side of kitchen sink and take out each night to gray can. I don't hold onto cans because we don't have enough to earn money as we don't drink soda or beer at home too often.

Stainless
01-26-2014, 08:15 AM
I have always recycled not as hardcore as you ziggy. But my gray bin is always full and maybe 2 green kitchen trash bags. It can be very easy. Cans, bottles, plastic and boxes just set in my one side of kitchen sink and take out each night to gray can. I don't hold onto cans because we don't have enough to earn money as we don't drink soda or beer at home too often.

There she is, we were about to start a wheres Wendi thread on you...come to think of it WMC is missing too, hmmm. :D

CH3NO2

WESTERNAERO
01-26-2014, 08:20 AM
How about fireball bottles? Bet your recycle when dumped is so loud it wakes the neighbors. Oh wait I forgot, you're a quitter.

Wendi
01-26-2014, 08:24 AM
There she is, we were about to start a wheres Wendi thread on you...come to think of it WMC is missing too, hmmm. :D

CH3NO2

He's at the river doing our remodel! Can't wait it's almost done!

Wendi
01-26-2014, 08:25 AM
How about fireball bottles? Bet your recycle when dumped is so loud it wakes the neighbors. Oh wait I forgot, you're a quitter.

Fireball yes I quit! Too many calories and sugar. Plus the hangovers are horrible.

Stainless
01-26-2014, 08:31 AM
Fireball yes I quit! Too many calories and sugar. Plus the hangovers are horrible.

I did too after last Mon night. I picked up a handle at Costco yesterday, pushed it all around the store and put it back bf I checked out. ;)

CH3NO2

Eli
01-26-2014, 08:38 AM
I've recycled for as long as I can remember. I currently live in a building that has 3 types of trash. Cans, bottles etc., paper and regular trash.

Sent from my Bat Cave

CarolynandBob
01-26-2014, 09:01 AM
I could give a FUCK about that green bullshit, it is all designed to make a profit for politicians and their cronies. But I cash in my cans, and all plastic. You'd be a fool not to, Big Bucks in that shit.

x1000000000000000 except I do not cash anything in. My wife made a deal with me. She put a small trash can under the sink and that is where I put cans and bottles. She then puts them into a larger can on the side of the house and when full takes it in for money. Pain in the ass in my opinion. She takes in 3-4 large black bags and gets like 25 bucks. Fuck That.

Singleton
01-26-2014, 09:42 AM
Try as much as possible (paper, glass, plastics bottles and cans). Everything goes in the blue trash dumpster and I let the city pick it up. Tried taking it all in to get cash, but it was taking over an hour to get through the lines so I said f it. Yard waste goes in green waste dumpster. Our household trash consists of 1 or 2 kitchen trash bags about half full each week. Have the smallest household trash dumpster you can have and pay the lowest trash amount I can through the city.

RogerThat99
01-26-2014, 09:49 AM
I keep cans. I get about $13-$14 per bag of uncrushed cans (big black bags) and I usually cash them in when I have 3-4 bags. I tried glass and plastic, but it was too much work and you don't get much for it. My city put a machine in place years ago that separates the trash from the recyclables, so I just put the glass and plastic in the trash. The city decided that too many cities that had recycling programs were not making money because people would come around in the night and still the recyclables in the bins waiting to be picked up in the morning. So they decided to invest in the "The Machine". I have no idea what it is called or what it cost.

Ziggy
01-26-2014, 12:47 PM
You guys have it good in Cali, we don't get squat in AZ, J/K. :D

CH3NO2
You guys don't have the CRV fee we pay here. Couple years ago they busted some people that were collecting semi trailer loads of aluminum cans in AZ and trucking them to Cali, making a shitload of money...........off the fees I paid, LOL

Ziggy
01-26-2014, 12:55 PM
I keep cans. I get about $13-$14 per bag of uncrushed cans (big black bags) and I usually cash them in when I have 3-4 bags. I tried glass and plastic, but it was too much work and you don't get much for it. My city put a machine in place years ago that separates the trash from the recyclables, so I just put the glass and plastic in the trash. The city decided that too many cities that had recycling programs were not making money because people would come around in the night and still the recyclables in the bins waiting to be picked up in the morning. So they decided to invest in the "The Machine". I have no idea what it is called or what it cost.

Waste Management services my city. When the three separate bins were allocated(trash, recycle, green) we were allowed to order extra bins for free.........sooooo, I ordered a few extras and use those for the stuff I take in for cash. Made it clean and easy for me.

2manymustangs
01-26-2014, 06:46 PM
Waste Management services my city. When the three separate bins were allocated(trash, recycle, green) we were allowed to order extra bins for free.........sooooo, I ordered a few extras and use those for the stuff I take in for cash. Made it clean and easy for me.

Since I live in BFE we don't really have ALOT of options and would do more if our trash hauler was on board with the recycling... My wife bags up all the cardstock/cans/plastics and drops at the local drop off... We don't have much to recycle and dont get any $$$ here...

Plastic bags go back to the super market...

Stainless
01-26-2014, 06:56 PM
It's about sustainability and that's important to me. :)

CH3NO2

hpboats83
01-27-2014, 12:07 AM
I have totally become the recycle nut, officially.:yes:
Not only do I save, crush and return all my aluminum, #1 and #2 plastics(which nets me at least a few hundy each year) but I dismantle everything that I discard for recycling. Toilet and paper towel rolls, all our shred paper.....you name it it goes in the blue bin.
My city takes every plastic from #1 through #7, glass, tin, metal, styrofoam and basically anything paper. Any product we buy that has any of these components goes for recycling, whether or not I have to disassemble it to any degree. Florescent, cfl bulbs I take to either Lowes or HDepot. Plastic bags and shrink wrap shit goes to the boxes at the grocery or hardware stores too.
The biggest difference I have noticed is my 95Gal curbside blue recycle bin is at least 3/4+ full every week whereas my trash bin usually has one kitchen size bag and maybe 3 grocery bag sized other trash. Not long ago I had 3 or 4 33 gal trash cans bulging every week.
So is anyone else as crazy as I in regards to trying to make a difference? I must say I do feel good about what I'm doing, especially looking back at how we really did abuse our earth in years past. It actually bothers me a little now when I see young kids just toss everything in the trash:smackbum:
:D

I'm this way about people wasting water outside, mainly because irrigation is a simple way to conserve tons of water but very few people in So Cal do.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk

niceguyeddie
01-27-2014, 12:53 AM
I throw it all in the garbage can and let the "garbage people" sort through it on trash night and recycle what they want.

I keep my grocery bags to pick up dog shit. Btw- I'm glad I don't go to the grocery store in Huntington Beach! That's some bullshit

28eliminator
01-27-2014, 06:20 AM
My wife is a recycle nazi... Me, not so much, lol.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Slacker
01-27-2014, 08:43 AM
I'm this way about people wasting water outside, mainly because irrigation is a simple way to conserve tons of water but very few people in So Cal do.

I WISH MORE PEOPLE THOUGHT LIKE YOU!!! It seems people are more worried about recycling a piece of paper than conserving water. These days water is much more important but hey if they turn on the faucet and water comes out they don't care about conserving.

Stainless
01-27-2014, 10:43 AM
City/County encourages grey water recycling here, I do it too.

CH3NO2

Sharp shooter
01-27-2014, 11:11 AM

I hand wash my vehicles and spray down my driveway and gutter (if needed). Everyone else around here is too lazy or high maintenance for that kind of extreme activity and they're rarely seen. It's unbelievable the level of pussification our society (at least in California) has evolved into.

I don't mind taking in my $10 worth of cans every other month, but like Scott I don't bother with the plastic bottles and just let the city collection take those. They're aren't worth the space they take up.

I consider myself on the cutting edge of the "green crusade" being that my boat burns methanol (very little at that) and I take a Scion IQ to work with me everyday. :D

Ziggy
01-27-2014, 01:12 PM

I have no front lawns anymore, just dead weeds I mow every now and then.
Back lawn gets watered once a week for two minutes in winter, and a total of 45 minutes a week in summer.
I wash my car when it rains, otherwise it's far and few between, especially this winter :(.
When running errands in the car I multi-task and make a round to get it all done in one swoop.
Conserve electricity where possible and switch most all lighting to super efficient LED bulbs/lamps.
It takes less effort than most believe, it's just hard to change old habits for many.

314joey
01-27-2014, 01:35 PM
I re-cycle, every weekend I create a lot of Bud Light can.

Singleton
01-27-2014, 04:19 PM
I have no front lawns anymore, just dead weeds I mow every now and then.
Back lawn gets watered once a week for two minutes in winter, and a total of 45 minutes a week in summer.
I wash my car when it rains, otherwise it's far and few between, especially this winter :(.
When running errands in the car I multi-task and make a round to get it all done in one swoop.
Conserve electricity where possible and switch most all lighting to super efficient LED bulbs/lamps.
It takes less effort than most believe, it's just hard to change old habits for many.

About the same.
Have all the sprinkers down to 3 mins a cycle and each cycle runs 3 times a week. I even capped some sprinkers since they were just watering were water was alrady sprayed.
Car gets detailed every 6 months and does not see the car wash between those unless I am using the Dry Clean stuff I have at the house.
All light bulbs have been changed and lights outside are all on sensors during the winter (then off once the sun says up past 7pm).
Errands are planned to avoid multiple trips and circling back and forth on the weekends.

HB Vic
01-27-2014, 04:20 PM
I hand wash my vehicles and spray down my driveway and gutter (if needed). Everyone else around here is too lazy or high maintenance for that kind of extreme activity and they're rarely seen. It's unbelievable the level of pussification our society (at least in California) has evolved into.

I don't mind taking in my $10 worth of cans every other month, but like Scott I don't bother with the plastic bottles and just let the city collection take those. They're aren't worth the space they take up.

I consider myself on the cutting edge of the "green crusade" being that my boat burns methanol (very little at that) and I take a Scion IQ to work with me everyday. :D

Holy shit that's funny! LOL

Flusher
01-28-2014, 02:19 PM
It used to be:

Now it is:

U.S. exports of scrap paper, plastics, and metals to China have increased at a remarkable pace over the last 16 years. Between 1996 and 2012, the dollar value of U.S. scrap exports to China in real terms increased at a compound annual growth rate of 24%, allowing China to take 47% of the market in 2012, up from 6% in 1996. Over that same period, U.S. scrap exports to all other markets increased by just 5% a year.

In exchange for this:

A sea of newly imported cars fills the 150-acre terminal lot at the Toyota Long Beach Vehicle Distribution Center at the Port of Long Beach. Toyota usually brings in about 250,000 cars a year in biweekly shipments.

Flusher
01-28-2014, 02:26 PM
Kudos to those who help recyclables make it into the blue bin. The Earth does not have enough resources to continue to support the ever increasing population. I just wish we weren’t selling out and sending our resources to other countries in exchange for cheaper product because of increased environmental restrictions here.

The Butterfly Effect: You can not destroy the environment on the other side of the world and not affect the environment here.

riverrunner1984
01-28-2014, 04:21 PM
I turn the water off while I brush my teeth and I put card board boxes in the blue bin. :wink2:

28eliminator
01-28-2014, 04:24 PM
I pissed on the tire of a Prius once :biggrin:

Stainless
01-28-2014, 04:26 PM
I pissed on the tire of a Prius once :biggrin:

:lmfao

CH3NO2

GRADS
01-28-2014, 05:24 PM
I don't recycle at all. Here in the City of Roseville we throw everything in one big trash can and they sort it for us.