PDA

View Full Version : Is alcoholism a disease?

GRADS
01-25-2014, 12:03 AM
I'd like to hear your thoughts on this. :hmm

HB Vic
01-25-2014, 12:10 AM
It depends on if you catch it or not.

Tishimself
01-25-2014, 12:16 AM
Yes it is. Same as wanting to own and run a jet bote. :D

Napanutt
01-25-2014, 12:16 AM
I like to drink. Sure would like to burn some green bud occasionally and not have to drink a bottle of whatever every night to catch a little buzz but because of work I'm subject to random testing- fuck you big brother.

76Bonneville
01-25-2014, 12:37 AM
Yes it is. Same as wanting to own and run a jet bote. :D
Wanting is one thing, but after you actually own and run one, euphoria.

SnoC653
01-25-2014, 02:05 AM
Clinically they say it is. But the real question is: is it caused by nature or nurture? The body will react to alcohol and will give a response when the stimulus is taken away (withdrawal). But are some people's predisposition for alcoholism caused by the nurturing they received or do they have a genetic deficiency that makes them more susceptible to their bodies craving the alcohol?

Why are some people mean drunks and others happy drunks? I wish I could find the study again (it was actually presented as part of an ethics in psychology course I took), but they gave alcoholics orange juice and told them they were drinking screwdrivers with vodka. A significant number of them fell off the wagon as a result, and even more of them actually acted drunk after consuming a large quantity of the juice. It was determined it was unethical to even tell an alcoholic you were giving him alcohol (even if you weren't).

Eli
01-25-2014, 07:09 AM
Clinically they say it is. But the real question is: is it caused by nature or nurture? The body will react to alcohol and will give a response when the stimulus is taken away (withdrawal). But are some people's predisposition for alcoholism caused by the nurturing they received or do they have a genetic deficiency that makes them more susceptible to their bodies craving the alcohol?

Why are some people mean drunks and others happy drunks? I wish I could find the study again (it was actually presented as part of an ethics in psychology course I took), but they gave alcoholics orange juice and told them they were drinking screwdrivers with vodka. A significant number of them fell off the wagon as a result, and even more of them actually acted drunk after consuming a large quantity of the juice. It was determined it was unethical to even tell an alcoholic you were giving him alcohol (even if you weren't).

That's interesting. I've wanted to figure out why some people are happy vs angry drunks. I'm convinced, based on zero medical data, that your true self comes out when you're drunk. You're not capable of pretending to be your persona anymore. But, again I have shit to back that up.

Alcoholism is a scary thing. The things people are willing to do to get a drink and get their fix is scary. I feel sad for the people around them. :(

Sent from my Bat Cave

riverrunner1984
01-25-2014, 07:16 AM
If someone can't stop drinking due to lack of Will power they classify it as a disease. If someone can't quit smoking because they are addicted is it a disease???
I think addiction is in ones mind and anyone can get over it with enough will power.

Napanutt
01-25-2014, 07:40 AM
If someone can't stop drinking due to lack of Will power they classify it as a disease. If someone can't quit smoking because they are addicted is it a disease???
I think addiction is in ones mind and anyone can get over it with enough will power.

I quit smoking cigarettes 13 years ago because I wanted to. I do believe most addictions are mind over matter.

riverrunner1984
01-25-2014, 07:55 AM
I quit smoking cigarettes 13 years ago because I wanted to. I do believe most addictions are mind over matter.

Congrats! Me and my fiancé quit 2 years ago jan 8th. Def mind over matter.

Eli
01-25-2014, 07:56 AM

Good for you! Congrats!

My mother quit smoking about ten years ago. We were all so thrilled. Love her to death and wouldn't want her to have cigarette related illness. I'm sure your loved ones feel the same.

Sent from my Bat Cave

nowski
01-25-2014, 09:01 AM
I.M.O. I don't think is't a disease because I was an Alcoholic for 35 years. I actually liked to get hammered but it was my family that was more important to me so I quit cold turkey. It's been almost 5 years sober as of 2/28/09. However if you'd ask a sharp Lawyer the same question he would say it's a disease because of the steady drip, drip, drip when your shaking your Lizard.

F.Y.I. Becks N.A. and St. Polly Girl N.A. are great alternatives...

Eli
01-25-2014, 09:17 AM
I.M.O. I don't think is't a disease because I was an Alcoholic for 35 years. I actually liked to get hammered but it was my family that was more important to me so I quit cold turkey. It's been almost 5 years sober as of 2/28/09. However if you'd ask a sharp Lawyer the same question he would say it's a disease because of the steady drip, drip, drip when your shaking your Lizard.

F.Y.I. Becks N.A. and St. Polly Girl N.A. are great alternatives...

I'm 100% certain not all lawyers share that opinion.

Sent from my Bat Cave

nowski
01-25-2014, 09:39 AM
I'm 100% certain not all lawyers share that opinion.

Sent from my Bat CaveHey, aren't you suppose to be Surfing???

Eli
01-25-2014, 09:41 AM
Hey, aren't you suppose to be Surfing???

The waves are too big :(

Sent from my Bat Cave

McRib
01-25-2014, 11:59 AM
I don't believe it's a disease. I believe it to be more of an excuse for an underlying problem/problems. I also don't believe in addiction either. Anything done in repetition can be broken. Addiction is also a copeing mechanism for underlying problems. Disease and addiction are wwords given by physiologists to allow them to medicate their patients and justify why people commit crimes where physiological evaluations were needed for the defense. Nothing but excuses for a weaker mind.

GRADS
01-25-2014, 12:11 PM
This is some funny shit!!!

http://www.southparkstudios.com/clips/155157/daddys-very-sick

Sharp shooter
01-25-2014, 01:30 PM
I'm gonna venture to say that if you are an alcoholic, you'll be the first in line to deny and also downplay it's darkest side.

Alcoholism is a weakness. As stated previously, addictions are mind over matter, but in most cases the mind is weak therefore the addiction wins.

I view those who brag about their alcohol consumption as the weakest group. Drinking alcohol carries no real merit and shouldn't qualify as something to brag about. IMO

Yes Eli, alcohol works great as a truth serum. :D

http://www.russellbeer.com/russell_news/Images/Truth_Serum_Detail.jpg

McRib
01-25-2014, 01:48 PM
I am also a firm believer that you are who you really are when you're right at that point of great buzz and uber drunk.

Humans suppress things and it the person's doing the suppression don't really know they are doing it. Sober I am hyper vigilant and always on my toes. Nothing gets past me. Sober I am an asshole.

Get some drinks in me and I'm still hyper vigilant but end up making jokes about the situations. I become a nice guy with not many cares in the world. I'll do anything for anyone if I have the means. No one ever seems to remember that side of me.

How I am when I'm drinking is who I was before alcohol and the Marines. The wife wishes I could be drunk 24/7. Lol

Tishimself
01-25-2014, 03:55 PM
When it comes to the lengths people will go to to get their fix....smokers are worse than drinkers. If I had a nickel for every smoker I left behind because he/she hopped off to light up after the conductor warned everyone to stay on the train if this was not their stop, I could pretty much retire. We leave smokers behind, we call the cops on drunks.

JerseyGirl
01-25-2014, 03:55 PM
This is some funny shit!!!

http://www.southparkstudios.com/clips/155157/daddys-very-sick

Didn't You start this thread??

SBS933
01-25-2014, 09:50 PM
NO, It's an addiction like coke and speed. Some people do coke once and it takes them over, I have lost 2 buddies to that shit. They eventually went to speed and time took over. I also lost a friend that literally drank himself to death, thanks to the government sending him checks because he was a past junkie and couldn't work. that made him eligable for SSI, I drank with these guys and smoked all the crack they put in front of me, but hell if I would spend a dime on it. Not my deal, drank beer all thru High School and quit when I had kids. now I drink as much as I want when i want too. I don't live for the stuff even though I joke about it. I have 1 friend left and he was addicted to speed when he moved to Kansas, he is still alive and I have to guess he quit the stuff. I hear this thru the grapevine. I love my beer, but I don't give a rats ass when it runs out. Maybe I shouldn't joke about it, cause it does bring a lot of grief to a lot of people. But then again, that's not really my problem. Just my .02

gn7
01-25-2014, 10:04 PM
Its only a disease when somebody else has it, not me. Maybe its the shit they drink that causes it. I knew there was something I didn't like about Bud.

Napanutt
01-25-2014, 10:14 PM
NO, It's an addiction like coke and speed. Some people do coke once and it takes them over, I have lost 2 buddies to that shit. They eventually went to speed and time took over. I also lost a friend that literally drank himself to death, thanks to the government sending him checks because he was a past junkie and couldn't work. that made him eligable for SSI, I drank with these guys and smoked all the crack they put in front of me, but hell if I would spend a dime on it. Not my deal, drank beer all thru High School and quit when I had kids. now I drink as much as I want when i want too. I don't live for the stuff even though I joke about it. I have 1 friend left and he was addicted to speed when he moved to Kansas, he is still alive and I have to guess he quit the stuff. I hear this thru the grapevine. I love my beer, but I don't give a rats ass when it runs out. Maybe I shouldn't joke about it, cause it does bring a lot of grief to a lot of people. But then again, that's not really my problem. Just my .02

I've got so much first person responses here but
A: story way too long.
B: I can't type/hunt and peck fast enough to post here on the phone.

Tishimself
01-25-2014, 10:19 PM
When I graduated from aircrew school in the Navy down in Pensacola, we went out and went to this bar that was for Navy fly boys. Drank beer just fine, but no one ever told me not to drink Jack also. Puked all the way back to the base and all the next day, my first and only case of alcohol poisoning. It was enough. I hate being drunk, when I feel myself getting drunk I stop and switch to something less, and after I took the job with the RR, and all the random's they did on us, I just plain stopped drinking. To this day I am a total fucking lightweight, I get a buzz sniffing the bottle cap off the bottle. And I don't care. The thing that really fucked me up though was this guy who spiked my beer with a shot of everclear. I couldn't move for hours, and on top of that, I drove home from Garden Grove to Anaheim Hills. Not good. Went back a few days later and beat him into the fucking ground. Tore up his shithole of a house, and told him if I ever saw him again it would be worse. I never did. Scared the living shit out of me, the things that could have gone wrong, I don't have to tell you. I got really lucky. Since then, I just stay away unless I am somewhere where I can just realx and enjoy myself and not have to worry about trains or driving anywhere. I am by far, the best designated driver you will ever find....LOL...so that's my story. I'm not ashamed of being a lightweight, I feel like my life is bigger than me, and I need to act accordingly.

SBS933
01-25-2014, 10:20 PM
I've got so much first person responses here but
A: story way too long.
B: I can't type/hunt and peck fast enough to post here on the phone. Just trying to state,I had all my friends fall to alcohol or drugs. I did all as I pleased and got to work on Mon. Neither Drugs or Alcohol grabbed me by the ass. SOOOO They got addicted, not Diseased. that's all. Sorry for the commentary Big Dog.

Tishimself
01-25-2014, 10:28 PM
Just trying to state,I had all my friends fall to alcohol or drugs. I did all as I pleased and got to work on Mon. Neither Drugs or Alcohol grabbed me by the ass. SOOOO They got addicted, not Diseased. that's all. Sorry for the commentary Big Dog.

Wait till this new shit called Krocodil hits the streets out here...from mother Russia, and supposed to hook you 100% on the first toke. Supposed to be the most addictive drug on the planet.

Napanutt
01-25-2014, 10:36 PM
Just trying to state,I had all my friends fall to alcohol or drugs. I did all as I pleased and got to work on Mon. Neither Drugs or Alcohol grabbed me by the ass. SOOOO They got addicted, not Diseased. that's all. Sorry for the commentary Big Dog.

I'm gonna be 50 next month. I don't correspond with anyone I went to school with, haven't for years. My life is so much different now than it was then.

SBS933
01-25-2014, 10:54 PM
I'm gonna be 50 next month. I don't correspond with anyone I went to school with, haven't for years. My life is so much different now than it was then.I'm with you there and I did the same, but they all lived in the neighborhood so the news kept rolling.

HB Vic
01-26-2014, 05:39 PM
Whatever it is, it's delicious 31686

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SBS933
01-26-2014, 05:58 PM
Whatever it is, it's delicious 31686

Sent from my iPhone using TapatalkHi, my name is HOTBOAT and i'm an Alcoholic. :knockout:

GRADS
01-26-2014, 06:02 PM
Hi, my name is HOTBOAT and i'm an Alcoholic. :knockout:

Actually it would just be "Hi my name is Hot and I'm an alcoholic".....AA frowns upon using last names. ;)

HB Vic
01-26-2014, 06:04 PM
Actually I'm a professional, AA is for trainees :D

HB Vic
01-26-2014, 07:29 PM
It's Sunday and I'm thirsty 31701

SBS933
01-26-2014, 07:32 PM

Sent from my iPhone using TapatalkDone like a PRO, well it fits.

Eli
01-26-2014, 07:54 PM

Are you alone? Is that really your second pitcher?

Sent from my Bat Cave

HB Vic
01-26-2014, 07:58 PM
Are you alone? Is that really your second pitcher?

Sent from my Bat Cave

Not alone 4th pitcher lol

Eli
01-26-2014, 07:59 PM
Not alone 4th pitcher lol

I was worried...I thought you were losing your touch. But, I do wonder how full you must be after the pizza and the beer?

Sent from my Bat Cave

HB Vic
01-26-2014, 08:03 PM
I was worried...I thought you were losing your touch. But, I do wonder how full you must be after the pizza and the beer?

Sent from my Bat Cave

A little over I'm sure, but it was worth it :D

GRADS
01-26-2014, 08:04 PM
Good job HotBoat! I didn't want to be the biggest gainer tomorrow on the weigh in. :thumbup:

Eli
01-26-2014, 08:06 PM
A little over I'm sure, but it was worth it :D

Over full? My stomach hurts watching lol

Last year at DS I spent 9 days in Havasu and I had my first Beer Belly Baby David, he's gone now...are you showing?

:lmao

Sent from my Bat Cave

Teded
01-27-2014, 07:09 AM
Drinking rum before 10am makes you a pirate , not an acholholic

Sent from space somehow

HB Vic
01-27-2014, 07:12 AM
Drinking rum before 10am makes you a pirate , not an acholholic

Sent from space somehow

Aaaarrrrrrggggghhh :D