PDA

View Full Version : Can anyone tell me where I am at?

GRADS
01-24-2014, 05:34 PM
Any guesses?

riverrunner1984
01-24-2014, 05:38 PM
Not at Mavericks

GRADS
01-24-2014, 05:49 PM
And guess who removed it. ;)

HB Vic
01-24-2014, 06:11 PM
Its probably worth more than $250, I would have taken it too :D

AZKC
01-24-2014, 06:12 PM
Your at the intersection of Section 17, 18, 19, and 20.

Napanutt
01-24-2014, 06:23 PM
I'm guessing it was placed in 1949. That would be a few years before it was flooded over.

Stainless
01-24-2014, 06:23 PM
Was it formerly underwater?

CH3NO2

2manymustangs
01-24-2014, 06:30 PM
Any guesses?

About 1 mile from the DAMN DAM???

http://www.waterboards.ca.gov/waterrights/water_issues/programs/applications/petitions/2013/ww0068map.pdf

GRADS
01-24-2014, 06:48 PM
Yep, normally under 110' of water!

2manymustangs
01-24-2014, 06:51 PM
Yep, normally under 110' of water!

:no: Damn, you guys are in seriously bad shape with the water situation... :no:

A section is typically 1 mile x 1 mile or 640 acres... At the edges of a township there is correction for the curvature of the earth so the section dimensions are skewed... Typical townships have 36 sections...

Eli
01-24-2014, 06:53 PM
I'm guessing you're now at a home drinking ;)

Sent from my Bat Cave

314joey
01-24-2014, 06:55 PM
Well it's not Spearmint Rhino in Vegas.

Eli
01-24-2014, 06:58 PM
Well it's not Spearmint Rhino in Vegas.

Do people still go there? I thought OG was the place to be? That's where I'll be next week!

Sent from my Bat Cave

314joey
01-24-2014, 08:53 PM
Do people still go there? I thought OG was the place to be? That's where I'll be next week!

Sent from my Bat Cave

I don't go to any of those places, a friend told me about it.

Eli
01-24-2014, 09:18 PM
I don't go to any of those places, a friend told me about it.

You're missing out! :D

Sent from my Bat Cave

GRADS
01-24-2014, 09:28 PM
About 1 mile from the DAMN DAM???

There are some really smart people on here. Any more info you get from it? I'm just curious, I don't know shit about it.

Napanutt
01-24-2014, 10:05 PM
There are some really smart people on here. Any more info you get from it? I'm just curious, I don't know shit about it.

I was wondering myself how he got all that info from a relic like that.

2manymustangs
01-24-2014, 10:21 PM

I was wondering myself how he got all that info from a relic like that.

Township/section/range is about all you get from those kinds of markers... It's the same system across the U.S. and I assumed that you were still in Cali :)

If you go east (around me) or maybe around you in the "RANCHO" areas you can see some crazy shit from the Spanish land grants... Back then the grid system would align with rivers or bays or the coast versus N/S/E/W like the PLSS (Public Land Survey System) which is AKA U.S. rectangular survey system... There is a point out east point on the Ohio-Pennsylvania border where it all starts and grows OUTWARD from...

SOME of the markers like you found OR some you may find in the forests tacked onto marker trees will actually mark something like "the N.W. corner of the south west quarter of the north east half of the south west quarter bla bla bla bla bla...

Each section is broken into 1/4 which would be 1/2 mile square and then again into 1/4 and so on... If you read the old titles of land you will see boundary descriptions that make reference to these smaller grids as part of a start or end or middle point in what is called "Metes and bounds" as the "legal description"...

I have found markers like these (below) in the area where I deer/turkey hunt in southern Missouri over the course of 40 years in the woods... Note how they SCRATCH mark the T. xx R. xx S. xx and then a a "X" on the middle right intersection of lines, that gives the exact location within the section where you are located... THese WERE sometimes used as benchmarks for surveys back before the advent of GPS surveys and the DEclassification of the GPS signals a decade or so ago...

I had to learn alot about this in R.E. school and from my broker when I was selling development land and farms...

Look 1/4 mile due east of the center of the marker and you will se the "X"... The outer square is 1 mile and it is gridded into 160 acre 1/4 section and then again into 40 acre 1/4 -1/4 sections and so on... the smallest squares would be 10 acres square on a perfect 1 mi x 1 mi section (640 acres)

GRADS
01-24-2014, 10:45 PM
Thanks for the info 2manymustangs!....I find that kind of stuff fascinating. I'm guessing it was probably placed in 1949 and they hand stamp it in the field? The lake was built in 1955-56.

Napanutt
01-24-2014, 10:48 PM
Thanks for the info 2manymustangs!....I find that kind of stuff fascinating. I'm guessing it was probably placed in 1949 and they hand stamp it in the field? The lake was built in 1955-56.
Very interesting to me me too.
According to wikipedia, folsom dam was built in 1955.

GRADS
01-24-2014, 10:52 PM
It was attached to a 3' pole in the ground btw.:angry:

2manymustangs
01-24-2014, 10:54 PM

I would guess so on the date stamp, you could probably find more SECTION CORNER markers if you look at the map I posted and have a hand held GPS, using the one you found as a benchmark :)

There is some crazy shit out there STILL in much of the country... OLD rock piles as markers, old black oak trees as corners, etc... But the wildest markings are on the Spanish land grant areas where everything is crooked and aligned with something like the Mississippi River or the Colorado River...

Hannibal Missouri and Louisiana Missouri are really jacked up since they are very old towns, everything was aligned with some curvy ass waterway in the area:

SnoC653
01-25-2014, 01:18 AM
Township/section/range is about all you get from those kinds of markers... It's the same system across the U.S. and I assumed that you were still in Cali :)

If you go east (around me) or maybe around you in the "RANCHO" areas you can see some crazy shit from the Spanish land grants... Back then the grid system would align with rivers or bays or the coast versus N/S/E/W like the PLSS (Public Land Survey System) which is AKA U.S. rectangular survey system... There is a point out east point on the Ohio-Pennsylvania border where it all starts and grows OUTWARD from...

SOME of the markers like you found OR some you may find in the forests tacked onto marker trees will actually mark something like "the N.W. corner of the south west quarter of the north east half of the south west quarter bla bla bla bla bla...

Each section is broken into 1/4 which would be 1/2 mile square and then again into 1/4 and so on... If you read the old titles of land you will see boundary descriptions that make reference to these smaller grids as part of a start or end or middle point in what is called "Metes and bounds" as the "legal description"...

I have found markers like these (below) in the area where I deer/turkey hunt in southern Missouri over the course of 40 years in the woods... Note how they SCRATCH mark the T. xx R. xx S. xx and then a a "X" on the middle right intersection of lines, that gives the exact location within the section where you are located... THese WERE sometimes used as benchmarks for surveys back before the advent of GPS surveys and the DEclassification of the GPS signals a decade or so ago...

I had to learn alot about this in R.E. school and from my broker when I was selling development land and farms...

Look 1/4 mile due east of the center of the marker and you will se the "X"... The outer square is 1 mile and it is gridded into 160 acre 1/4 section and then again into 40 acre 1/4 -1/4 sections and so on... the smallest squares would be 10 acres square on a perfect 1 mi x 1 mi section (640 acres)

The really fun stuff starts when they move one of the section markers due to a highway or some other feature that requires it to be displaced. It is on record in the courthouses usually, but sometimes you have to dig to find it.

2manymustangs
01-25-2014, 08:26 AM
The really fun stuff starts when they move one of the section markers due to a highway or some other feature that requires it to be displaced. It is on record in the courthouses usually, but sometimes you have to dig to find it.

I have a Schonstedt surveyors metal detector ^^^ like this (tuned to NOT pick up poorly grounded non-ferrous metals so im told) from my buddy that is a certified land surveyor... He had five or six broken ones and had me repair the switches/pots/headphone sockets and I got to keep one working unit in exchange for my time...

My property is kidney bean shaped and has about 20 offset pins along the road frontage and a total of about 30 survey markers, it's a nice toy (the detector) to have fo sho... :)

I would LOVEEEEEEEEEEEEE to go for a walk in certain areas of that Folsom lake bed with GRADS and a good metal detector...

314joey
01-25-2014, 08:32 AM
You're missing out! :D

Sent from my Bat Cave

I hope you know I was just kidding............lol

Eli
01-25-2014, 08:33 AM
I hope you know I was just kidding............lol

Yes I do ;) and I wasn't kidding lol

Sent from my Bat Cave

GRADS
01-28-2014, 01:01 AM
It turns out this thing is solid brass

GRADS
01-29-2014, 02:02 AM

2manymustangs
01-29-2014, 05:58 AM

Just think, one mile in every direction there is another one just waiting for you to find it.... :)

GRADS
02-01-2014, 07:02 PM
Just think, one mile in every direction there is another one just waiting for you to find it.... :)

Like this? Tell me you're not impressed?

2manymustangs
02-01-2014, 09:03 PM
Like this? Tell me you're not impressed?

:biggrin: That had to be more toward the water/center of the lake......???? Im going to have to look at this and think about it for a while... 1/4 section north on the S18/S17 line but there should be more numbers / location ID on there than just the section line and 1/4...

THinking...

SnoC653
02-01-2014, 09:18 PM
:biggrin: That had to be more toward the water/center of the lake......???? Im going to have to look at this and think about it for a while... 1/4 section north on the S18/S17 line but there should be more numbers / location ID on there than just the section line and 1/4...

THinking...

The line indicates that it was on the sector line, and the 1/4 indication means it is 1/4 of the section up from the bottom. The numbers should go up going North and East. No other markings would be required to pin point that exact location. And yes that would be almost due north into the lake bed.

GRADS
02-02-2014, 09:17 AM
I have to come clean...it was pure dumb luck that I stumbled across the second one, but still amazing.

2manymustangs
02-02-2014, 12:35 PM
I have to come clean...it was pure dumb luck that I stumbled across the second one, but still amazing.

Were you about 1/4 mile north of the section corner marker you found previously??? Going toward the water???

Dumb luck is still luck... WHich is better than bad luck, and that is MY luck... ;)

GRADS
02-02-2014, 01:15 PM
Were you about 1/4 mile north of the section corner marker you found previously??? Going toward the water???

Yes, that is right about where I found it. It would normally be under about 90'+ of water.

2manymustangs
02-23-2014, 01:22 AM
Hypothetically speaking.....what if you took these home and now you cant put them back because the locations are 25' underwater. What would you do with them?

Aquaponics? :lmao1: