PDA

View Full Version : Ford Truck Forums

niceguyeddie
01-24-2014, 03:54 PM
I have a few questions about a Ford I just purchased and want to start asking questions. I belong to a Chevy Forum, but not a Ford. Can anyone recommend a good one? I searched Google and there's so many.

Thanks

Stainless
01-24-2014, 04:06 PM
What did you get?

CH3NO2

2manymustangs
01-24-2014, 04:29 PM
Sorry Chief... My TRUCK is a V8 Explorer Sport Track, Im a member on "Seroius Explorations" but not any other Ford truck forums... :)

Ya, Ya, what did U get???

WESTERNAERO
01-24-2014, 04:41 PM
Ask the guys on the Chevy forum about your Ford. They'll tell you everything you need to do with that thing. :wink2:

niceguyeddie
01-24-2014, 04:45 PM
I bought a 2000 Ford V10 F250 4x4 long bed. Lifted, 4 linked in the front on coil overs. She'll be getting a 2007 front conversion along with a few other things to make me happy. Should be a nice weekend/river truck when finished. I'll probably do a build thread. I'm going to start going through and servicing everything on the truck next week. I missed having a lifted truck, but love my Cadillac and no payments! So I kept the car for work and compromised by buying an older truck.

niceguyeddie
01-24-2014, 04:46 PM
Ask the guys on the Chevy forum about your Ford. They'll tell you everything you need to do with that thing. :wink2:

That's what I'm afraid of. At least I didn't buy another 6.0! lol

riverrunner1984
01-24-2014, 05:44 PM
Can I ask why you weren't interested in a diesel?

Bean
01-24-2014, 06:01 PM
www.thedieselstop.com Ford Customer Service trolls this site, and gets involved in supporting the members there if necessary.

Edit. Sorry put the wrong url in at first. Fixed.

78Southwind
01-24-2014, 06:35 PM
I would say since you have a V-10 that www.ford-trucks.com would be your best bet. I hang out on most of the powerstroke sites and this one a little bit in the Excursion section.

BTW...you should read up on the threads about the early V-10's having the spark plugs pop out of the heads. I would not overly worry about it since I had a buddy of mine that owned a V-10 Excursion and he never had any problems with the spark plugs. Just do your research and if you take it in for a tune up do it yourself or let Ford do it. I know that there was a problem because Ford redesigned the heads and added more threads so the spark plugs wouldn't pop out.

78Southwind
01-24-2014, 06:38 PM
Btw where's the pictures?

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

2manymustangs
01-24-2014, 06:42 PM
I bought a 2000 Ford V10 F250 4x4 long bed. Lifted, 4 linked in the front on coil overs. She'll be getting a 2007 front conversion along with a few other things to make me happy. Should be a nice weekend/river truck when finished. I'll probably do a build thread. I'm going to start going through and servicing everything on the truck next week. I missed having a lifted truck, but love my Cadillac and no payments! So I kept the car for work and compromised by buying an older truck.

Eddie is a quick study!!! That thing will last forever and the oil changes should be MUCH easier on the pocket book...

78Southwind
01-24-2014, 07:01 PM

My buddy did a 4 Link Coilover conversion on his 2005 6.0 4x4 Excursion and I couldn't believe the ride. It was the best riding lifted truck I have ever rode in. Cadillac quality...:happy::thumbsUp:

28eliminator
01-24-2014, 07:17 PM

For every fucked up ford, you can find a fucked up GM right behind it....

Eddie is a quick study!!! That thing will last forever and the oil changes should be MUCH easier on the pocket book...

This^^^^^^

I have a 2000 V10 excursion.. I bought it new in 99. Aside from the regular maintenance, I've replaced ball joints, 4 batteries, and recently the fuel pump.. Lots if towing miles in the heat, and my boat and trailer are about 8500 lbs.. It lives in havasu permanently hooked to my boat in a storage unit, but they're good solid trucks. Don't let anyone tell you any different.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

2manymustangs
01-24-2014, 07:40 PM
For every fucked up ford, you can find a fucked up GM right behind it....

This^^^^^^

I have a 2000 V10 excursion.. I bought it new in 99. Aside from the regular maintenance, I've replaced ball joints, 4 batteries, and recently the fuel pump.. Lots if towing miles in the heat, and my boat and trailer are about 8500 lbs.. It lives in havasu permanently hooked to my boat in a storage unit, but they're good solid trucks. Don't let anyone tell you any different.

Yeeep, I belive it... As much as I like a diesel, the V10 for a tow rig would work MUCHO better for me...

GRADS
01-24-2014, 08:17 PM
HotFord.com

78Southwind
01-24-2014, 08:26 PM
Here's some of the things that I have replaced or fixed that are non-diesel related on my Excursion. Pretty common stuff for these trucks. I get a lot of use out of my truck.

Power Slot Cyro Rotors (www.summitracing.com) $280
Hawk Brake Pads (www.summitracing.com) $90
Hub Bearing Assembly & Labor Ford Motorcraft (www.sunriseford.com) $625
Hellwig Anti-Sway Bar (Rear) (www.summitracing.com) $200
Energy Suspension Sway Bar Bushings (Front) (www.summitracing.com) $21
Napa Water Pump, V-Belt & Coolant (Napa) $284
Hoses, Thermostat & Coolant (Napa) $112
4WD Shift on the Fly Upgraded Hoses (Braided Lines) $76
Driver Seat Cushion Pad (www.tousleyford.com) $80
Driver Leather Bottom Seat Cover (www.theseatshop.com) $205
Driver Leather Top Seat Cover with Limited (www.theseatshop.com) $265
Passenger Seat Cushion Pad (www.sunriseford.com) $83
Passenger Leather Bottom Seat Cover (www.theseatshop.com) $205
Passenger Leather Top Seat Cover with Limited (www.theseatshop.com) $265
Ball Joints and Front Axle Differential Seals and Labor (www.sunriseford.com) $1669
Sway Bar Repair Kit (SL504 & SL505) & Steering Damper (6854SE) (Autozone) $190

Icecreaman
01-24-2014, 08:44 PM
Yeeep, I belive it... As much as I like a diesel, the V10 for a tow rig would work MUCHO better for me...
I don't think you'd say that if you owned one. The early V10 is a glorified small block. My nephew had F 350 4x4 he towed a 28' 5th wheel with. After putting a fresh air intake system, cat back exhaust, re-gearing the diff, and reprogramming with an Edge programer, he sold it and bought a 6.0 diesel. He got tired of getting smoked on any hill no matter how slight by me (7 .3 Powerstroke)and his dad (6.6 Duramax). The 6.0 once the week links (egr cooler) are dealt with are much better tow vehicles, better mileage, and a shit ton more power.

2manymustangs
01-24-2014, 09:16 PM
I don't think you'd say that if you owned one. The early V10 is a glorified small block. My nephew had F 350 4x4 he towed a 28' 5th wheel with. After putting a fresh air intake system, cat back exhaust, re-gearing the diff, and reprogramming with an Edge programer, he sold it and bought a 6.0 diesel. He got tired of getting smoked on any hill no matter how slight by me (7 .3 Powerstroke)and his dad (6.6 Duramax). The 6.0 once the week links (egr cooler) are dealt with are much better tow vehicles, better mileage, and a shit ton more power.

I dont have a 28' 5th wheel OR ever plan to have one... Just small boats or my kayaks... MAYBE a small camper, thats just me though... Note that I said "would work much better for me" :) Also, I dont push my stuff up the hills, I let them fall back except for my mustangs...

But for someone that is towing big stuff OR for a work truck towing big loads IF I wanted a modern truck I would go with the Dodge Cummins 24v monster if I really needed the power and wanted it to last...

28eliminator
01-24-2014, 09:22 PM

If your towing 10,000 lbs constantly yes.. If your towing 6 or 8000 lbs occasionally, doesn't make any sense at all.. The extra initial cost, and substantial maintenance costs far out way the gains for a part time tow vehicle IMO.. The V10 has been a good, reliable hard pulling motor for me for 130,000 miles..

Slacker
01-24-2014, 09:55 PM
I'm sure you got a good truck for what you are using it for. We used the ford v-8 and v-10's 2000 to 2003 in the mountains of Colorado at the ski resort and they didn't fair to well on the mountain roads, they saw very Little pavement. We were pretty hard on them.

Icecreaman
01-24-2014, 10:18 PM
I believe his trailer is 4800lbs empty. Add a sand rail, a quad, food and water, I'd be willing to bet the GVW is under 7000lbs.
To each their own and this is just my opinion, but the misconception that some how a diesel costs considerably more to operate than a gas truck is crazy. My truck gets 5-6 mpg more towing than his did and maybe 8 mpg more empty. Purchase price of the truck (used) will vary more depending on add-ons than gas vs diesel. On my diesel, I do an oil change once a year which is maybe 4000 miles. The gas engine needs more regular maintenance, has to work harder, wears out 3 times faster, and if it's a Triton motor, wait till it starts puking spark plugs.
I've owned several trucks, both gas and diesel. IMO, for a daily around town driver and occasional tow vehicle, I'd maybe go gas. For a truck that's mainly used as a tow vehicle only (like mine), I'd go diesel every time, but that's just me.

niceguyeddie
01-25-2014, 12:39 AM
Can I ask why you weren't interested in a diesel?

Budget.

My last two trucks where diesels. 2006 Ford f250 6.0 and the last was a 2500 Duramax. I loved my Chevy but it was a daily driver. I sold it and bought CTS and this Ford ... And I still have money left over lol. The Cadillac is now my daily driver and that saves me about 600 a month in fuel.

I just wanted a solid river truck. The price you can find v10s for is pretty unbeatable if you want a 3/4 ton 4x4. I don't need a diesel, in fact I never really did, but now I'm doing what makes sense. Two cars for two purposes and zeros payments. :)

I also leaned towards ford because a relative works for a dealer and gets me a killer deal on parts and labor. Just made since. I didn't want a 6.0 and a clean 7.3 isn't easy to find and when you do the seller wants top dollar.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk (http://tapatalk.com/m?id=1)

niceguyeddie
01-25-2014, 12:41 AM
My buddy did a 4 Link Coilover conversion on his 2005 6.0 4x4 Excursion and I couldn't believe the ride. It was the best riding lifted truck I have ever rode in. Cadillac quality...:happy::thumbsUp:

My buddy has the exact same truck I just purchased but with leafs in the front. It rides like a soviet tank compared to this one. I'll get some pics up tomorrow.

niceguyeddie
01-25-2014, 12:45 AM
I'm sure you got a good truck for what you are using it for. We used the ford v-8 and v-10's 2000 to 2003 in the mountains of Colorado at the ski resort and they didn't fair to well on the mountain roads, they saw very Little pavement. We were pretty hard on them.

Yea I feel pretty happy about my choice. Ford builds a pretty tough truck. I could've got a half ton to fit my needs but I always believed in having a lil more truck than you need. I store my boat at the river so it's not going to be towing very much.

SnoC653
01-25-2014, 01:50 AM
If you're not towing a lot, the V10 is a good compromise. The coils on the front make a world of difference. The longer the wheelbase the better they ride as well. I had a 2000 F350 and the only real problems I had with it were: brakes, ball joints (towed a lot), and the body control computer. The later was the reason I got rid of it. Bought a new 08 which I loved the power and ride, but it got worse mileage than the gas trucks. I now have a 03 6.0. With the tuner and exhaust work, I get 18 to 20 MPG so diesels aren't that bad a deal.

If your V10 doesn't have a tuner you will probably want to get one. I like the Edge products for the Fords and they have a dash pod that will make it look a lot better. I doubt you'll have a problem with your door seals freezing, but keep them lubricated and they don't get as much wind noise. Same goes for the door ajar sensors. Back doors are notorious for sticking and leaving the dome light on, or the idiot light on saying door ajar.

niceguyeddie
01-25-2014, 02:07 AM
If you're not towing a lot, the V10 is a good compromise. The coils on the front make a world of difference. The longer the wheelbase the better they ride as well. I had a 2000 F350 and the only real problems I had with it were: brakes, ball joints (towed a lot), and the body control computer. The later was the reason I got rid of it. Bought a new 08 which I loved the power and ride, but it got worse mileage than the gas trucks. I now have a 03 6.0. With the tuner and exhaust work, I get 18 to 20 MPG so diesels aren't that bad a deal.

If your V10 doesn't have a tuner you will probably want to get one. I like the Edge products for the Fords and they have a dash pod that will make it look a lot better. I doubt you'll have a problem with your door seals freezing, but keep them lubricated and they don't get as much wind noise. Same goes for the door ajar sensors. Back doors are notorious for sticking and leaving the dome light on, or the idiot light on saying door ajar.

Exactly. It was a compromise.

Great info. Thanks!

I defiantly want to tune this thing. I already ordered a 50 series Flowmaster (it's too quiet) and I plan on an intake too. Does the mileage improve much with the tuner?

The truck is on 37s with stock gears. I expected it to be a complete pig but it's not that bad. My buddy put bigger gears in his and he said he burns way more fuel on the highway now.

I did miss the huge cab in the Ford compared to a Chevy.

SnoC653
01-25-2014, 03:01 AM
Exactly. It was a compromise.

Great info. Thanks!

I defiantly want to tune this thing. I already ordered a 50 series Flowmaster (it's too quiet) and I plan on an intake too. Does the mileage improve much with the tuner?

The truck is on 37s with stock gears. I expected it to be a complete pig but it's not that bad. My buddy put bigger gears in his and he said he burns way more fuel on the highway now.

I did miss the huge cab in the Ford compared to a Chevy.

The tuner will help with the mileage, especially if you find someone that can do a custom tune once you get everything on the engine you plan on putting on it. I'm not sure if the newer Edge tuners will calibrate for the tire size or not on the 2000. I know the older ones wouldn't when I had mine. It's worth it to have the dealer re-calibrate the speedometer so the computer knows where the shift points really are supposed to be and can keep the engine in the happy range.

riverrunner1984
01-25-2014, 07:19 AM
Budget.

My last two trucks where diesels. 2006 Ford f250 6.0 and the last was a 2500 Duramax. I loved my Chevy but it was a daily driver. I sold it and bought CTS and this Ford ... And I still have money left over lol. The Cadillac is now my daily driver and that saves me about 600 a month in fuel.

I just wanted a solid river truck. The price you can find v10s for is pretty unbeatable if you want a 3/4 ton 4x4. I don't need a diesel, in fact I never really did, but now I'm doing what makes sense. Two cars for two purposes and zeros payments. :)

I also leaned towards ford because a relative works for a dealer and gets me a killer deal on parts and labor. Just made since. I didn't want a 6.0 and a clean 7.3 isn't easy to find and when you do the seller wants top dollar.

Thanks... I'm asking because I am in the market for a similar set up. Used just for weekend trips as I too have a daily driver.

niceguyeddie
01-25-2014, 11:42 AM
I'm not looking forward to blistered thumbs, but it always worth it. Gotta get all theses old emblems and moldings off. I'll replace them emblems with new ones. All these stickers are coming off too.

Also changing all the fluids today.

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/01/26/usasasa8.jpg

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/01/26/dy9u6e4e.jpghttp://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/01/26/abe4yreq.jpg

78Southwind
01-25-2014, 12:06 PM
What lift/Coilover does it have? Take a pictures of it for me...:hmmm:

78Southwind
01-25-2014, 12:12 PM
Btw...this showed up at my doorstep a couple days ago.31582

niceguyeddie
01-25-2014, 12:25 PM
Nice! This came with broken Kodak steps. I'll be taking it to Custom Truck shop to get amp steps put on soon.

Its a skyjacker 8" z link. The coil overs are also made by skyjacker. I'll get some pics up in a bit

It has deaver f350 soft rides in the rear.

Cool thing about amp steps is if you put your foot on the step and shut the door the step stays down which makes washing the truck easier without a step ladder.

niceguyeddie
01-25-2014, 12:26 PM

2manymustangs
01-25-2014, 12:34 PM
Nice! This came with broken Kodak steps. I'll be taking it to Custom Truck shop to get amp steps put on soon.

Its a skyjacker 8" z link. The coil overs are also made by skyjacker. I'll get some pics up in a bit

It has deaver f350 soft rides in the rear.

Cool thing about amp steps is if you put your foot on the step and shut the door the step stays down which makes washing the truck easier without a step ladder.

You wash your trucks out there??? :)

niceguyeddie
01-25-2014, 03:06 PM
You wash your trucks out there??? :)

Lol

Getting the stickers out was a pain in the ass. I had to grab a wire brush attachment and spin away. I'm going to spray these black anyhow.

Also got all the steps and rats near wiring out

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/01/26/hunybapa.jpg

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/01/26/ymemuqy3.jpg

niceguyeddie
01-26-2014, 01:38 PM
Progress

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/01/27/zu2y7agu.jpg

Took some flat black rattle cans to much frame and axles. Huge improvement.

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/01/27/agejy2uv.jpg

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/01/27/6u8azaba.jpg

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/01/27/unese3em.jpg

The rear shocks bodies look like shit. I'm gonna shop around for a set of Fox shocks.

niceguyeddie
01-26-2014, 01:41 PM
Today I'm working on a sub box. I did two tens in my last super duty and I just didn't feel they had enough air space. So I'm going with two 8" subs.

Kinda wish I would've kept my old dimensions. Hung over and math don't mix. Lol

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/01/27/u3e7a4yp.jpg

Eli
01-26-2014, 02:25 PM
Today I'm working on a sub box. I did two tens in my last super duty and I just didn't feel they had enough air space. So I'm going with two 8" subs.

Kinda wish I would've kept my old dimensions. Hung over and math don't mix. Lol

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/01/27/u3e7a4yp.jpg

That beer should fix you up with real quick!

This is a great project! Wish I knew you when I had my sub box built $1000 for the mofo!

Let me know if you're looking for speakers, sub or amplifier I've got a badass set I'm trying to sell.

Sent from my Bat Cave

niceguyeddie
01-26-2014, 04:15 PM
That beer should fix you up with real quick!

This is a great project! Wish I knew you when I had my sub box built $1000 for the mofo!

Let me know if you're looking for speakers, sub or amplifier I've got a badass set I'm trying to sell.

Sent from my Bat Cave

I've got everything but thanks.

niceguyeddie
01-26-2014, 04:17 PM
http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/01/27/guju7y8a.jpg

She fits. Now off to Home Depot for carpet and caulking.

28eliminator
01-26-2014, 06:12 PM
Lookin good!!

Boschma
01-26-2014, 06:26 PM
Nice Project! I always get my super duty info from Powerstrokenation.com

niceguyeddie
01-26-2014, 07:00 PM
Thanks.

I'm pooped. I'm gonna call it a weekend.

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/01/27/ynagygy7.jpg

rschap1
01-27-2014, 12:31 PM
[QUOTE=78Southwind;85489] www.ford-trucks.com

I had pretty good luck there for a while.
Seemed like a lot of attentive and super HELPFUL techs.
A few years seemed as though I got more response than lately.
But I still hit there when need be.

niceguyeddie
01-27-2014, 10:20 PM
http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/01/28/atapu5yv.jpg

Box is done. Just finished the hardest part.. Carpet! Now I'm waiting on new audio/ video stuff. A few things I wanted are on back order so I'll move on to something else next.

The truck has a junk Sony Explode sound system and some bs Perfomance techniques amps. Its all coming out! The only thing I'm going to leave are the rear tweeters.

I'm doing:

-Flip out screen on dash with DVD player
-Flip down monitor for my friends in the back seat
-4 new 6x9s
-Adding two more tweeters to the a pillars
-all new wiring
-two new amps
- two 8 inch subs

While I'm running the wiring I'll run everything for the compressor, train horns and rear flood lights.

The whimpy mirrors are coming off in exchange for tow mirrors. I can't see shit with these! The new style ones come with amber lights with signal and are heated so I need run the new wires through the doors for all that to work.

After this the truck will be getting all new upholstery, carpet and floor mats. I'm still trying to decide on colors. I'm thinking a charcoal leather and black carpet.

I'm also ordered a billet rear view mirror and billet knobs for the light, ac and 4x4 knobs. I think all this should help rid the truck of its work truck/ boring interior.

SnoC653
01-27-2014, 11:04 PM
http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/01/28/atapu5yv.jpg

Box is done. Just finished the hardest part.. Carpet! Now I'm waiting on new audio/ video stuff. A few things I wanted are on back order so I'll move on to something else next.

The truck has a junk Sony Explode sound system and some bs Perfomance techniques amps. Its all coming out! The only thing I'm going to leave are the rear tweeters.

I'm doing:

-Flip out screen on dash with DVD player
-Flip down monitor for my friends in the back seat
-4 new 6x9s
-Adding two more tweeters to the a pillars
-all new wiring
-two new amps
- two 8 inch subs

While I'm running the wiring I'll run everything for the compressor, train horns and rear flood lights.

The whimpy mirrors are coming off in exchange for tow mirrors. I can't see shit with these! The new style ones come with amber lights with signal and are heated so I need run the new wires through the doors for all that to work.

After this the truck will be getting all new upholstery, carpet and floor mats. I'm still trying to decide on colors. I'm thinking a charcoal leather and black carpet.

I'm also ordered a billet rear view mirror and billet knobs for the light, ac and 4x4 knobs. I think all this should help rid the truck of its work truck/ boring interior.

Sounds like you are are doing it up right. Just some food for though. With the big lift getting in and out of the bed can be a real hassle. The newer trucks have the man step built into them. The 08 Superduty tailgate with the man step will swap over to the 2000 truck and the lines will line up with the bottom of your tail lights. It looks like it was made for the earlier trucks and just not used. The only thing you will need to change is the driver side mounting point (2 bolts). It just goes right on then. The 08 gate also has an internal spring assist to help lower it softer. And the white is the same color code so you shouldn't have to have anything painted. I found a take off for mine and bought the hinge pin point from the dealer.

78Southwind
01-27-2014, 11:08 PM

Where you going for towing mirrors (Ford or After Market) and new upholstery? I used The Seat Shop for my two bucket seats in my Excursion since Ford doesn't make the leather seat covers any more. I also bought new foam for the bottoms from Ford (my ass is much happier now). The Ford 2012 mirrors are pretty cool.

http://youtu.be/2ozhzTOWsTI

niceguyeddie
01-27-2014, 11:16 PM
Sounds like you are are doing it up right. Just some food for though. With the big lift getting in and out of the bed can be a real hassle. The newer trucks have the man step built into them. The 08 Superduty tailgate with the man step will swap over to the 2000 truck and the lines will line up with the bottom of your tail lights. It looks like it was made for the earlier trucks and just not used. The only thing you will need to change is the driver side mounting point (2 bolts). It just goes right on then. The 08 gate also has an internal spring assist to help lower it softer. And the white is the same color code so you shouldn't have to have anything painted. I found a take off for mine and bought the hinge pin point from the dealer.

Good info and idea. Where did you find a used tailgate?

The tailgate on this truck is actually from an F150. The previous owner said a tree branch fell on it so he found one off an F150 that was whit. It matches great.

I had an Amp Research bed step on my previous truck. I may go that route.

niceguyeddie
01-27-2014, 11:26 PM
Where you going for towing mirrors (Ford or After Market) and new upholstery? I used The Seat Shop for my two bucket seats in my Excursion since Ford doesn't make the leather seat covers any more. I also bought new foam for the bottoms from Ford (my ass is much happier now). The Ford 2012 mirrors are pretty cool.

http://youtu.be/2ozhzTOWsTI

You had to post that! Lol... I was just sitting here thinking I should just say fuck it and do the power folding and extending rather than the manual ones. I'm going to research that. It can't be too difficult. I'm getting the mirrors from Ford. With my hookup, they shouldn't be too bad.

I. Taking the truck to a place in Fullerton to get an estimate later this week. A guy at work had his truck done there and they did a really great job and the prices were fair. I'll also go to Elegance in Upland to get a quote. Mark at Elegance has done a few things for me but getting a ride to Fullerton would be easier than getting a ride to Upland. Where's the seat shop?

My next item on the list to tackle will be fixing all of my door lock actuators. None of my doors open with the remote or door switches and all research leads me to the actuators. I read these are a common problem. I was going to replace them all, but after starting a thread on the Ford forums I leaned that they could be repaired. It looks rather simple so I'm going to give it a shot.

Here's a "how to" video I found

http://youtu.be/BQFqaZ40aFs

niceguyeddie
01-27-2014, 11:30 PM
Opps double post... I hate the new tapatalk!!!!

SnoC653
01-27-2014, 11:38 PM
Good info and idea. Where did you find a used tailgate?

The tailgate on this truck is actually from an F150. The previous owner said a tree branch fell on it so he found one off an F150 that was whit. It matches great.

I had an Amp Research bed step on my previous truck. I may go that route.

There were some flat bed conversion shops that had them and the one I bought was from a salvage yard (best price). As you guessed the 08 mirrors can be mounted as well. They do a power conversion for the 03 mirrors with the lights, but the 08 mirrors would make the truck look newer. The back seat from an 08 will also fit and they have the split fold down and the cargo platform.

I had an 08 but hated the fuel milage and didn't want to delete all the smog stuff and kill my warranty. Why did they put cats on diesels in the first place? So I moved the features I liked over to the 03 I replaced it with.

78Southwind
01-28-2014, 12:06 AM
You had to post that! Lol... I was just sitting here thinking I should just say fuck it and do the power folding and extending rather than the manual ones. I'm going to research that. It can't be too difficult. I'm getting the mirrors from Ford. With my hookup, they shouldn't be too bad.

I. Taking the truck to a place in Fullerton to get an estimate later this week. A guy at work had his truck done there and they did a really great job and the prices were fair. I'll also go to Elegance in Upland to get a quote. Mark at Elegance has done a few things for me but getting a ride to Fullerton would be easier than getting a ride to Upland. Where's the seat shop?

My next item on the list to tackle will be fixing all of my door lock actuators. None of my doors open with the remote or door switches and all research leads me to the actuators. I read these are a common problem. I was going to replace them all, but after starting a thread on the Ford forums I leaned that they could be repaired. It looks rather simple so I'm going to give it a shot.

Here's a "how to" video I found

http://youtu.be/BQFqaZ40aFs

Yeah...I fixed one of my door lock actuators with the foil trick when I first bought my Excursion. The Seat Shop (www.theseatshop.com) is online. The leather seats from Ford were just covers and were around $800 or $900 per bucket seat (if I remember right) before they were discontinued. The seat shop charges around $400 per seat and are a perfect match.

niceguyeddie
01-28-2014, 10:48 AM
Yeah...I fixed one of my door lock actuators with the foil trick when I first bought my Excursion. The Seat Shop (www.theseatshop.com) is online. The leather seats from Ford were just covers and were around $800 or $900 per bucket seat (if I remember right) before they were discontinued. The seat shop charges around $400 per seat and are a perfect match.

Thanks for the info. I looked at the website and the colors are limited and the pricing is too close to having it all redone at a shop. The seats have to come out for carpet and for mounting the amps. I'm getting over the phone estimates for $1,600- $1,800 for all new upholstery and carpet for the bucket seats and rear bench.

Any luck on your Excursion parts? My hook-up hasn't had much.

78Southwind
01-28-2014, 11:33 AM
Thanks for the info. I looked at the website and the colors are limited and the pricing is too close to having it all redone at a shop. The seats have to come out for carpet and for mounting the amps. I'm getting over the phone estimates for $1,600- $1,800 for all new upholstery and carpet for the bucket seats and rear bench.

Any luck on your Excursion parts? My hook-up hasn't had much.

Yeah, the seat shop is more for someone that just needs one or two seats or partial seats (though they can make all the seats covers for an excursion you just have to ask) replaced to match someone's existing seats. The driver side leather bucket seats are notorious for breaking down and ripping in the Ford trucks so this is a great solution for me since Ford doesn't make the covers any more.

If I decide to go with new parts I have all the parts covered through Sunrise Ford. Are you still thinking about updating the frontend?

niceguyeddie
01-28-2014, 12:17 PM
Yeah, the seat shop is more for someone that just needs one or two seats or partial seats (though they can make all the seats covers for an excursion you just have to ask) replaced to match someone's existing seats. The driver side leather bucket seats are notorious for breaking down and ripping in the Ford trucks so this is a great solution for me since Ford doesn't make the covers any more.

If I decide to go with new parts I have all the parts covered through Sunrise Ford. Are you still thinking about updating the frontend?

No I changed my mind. I decided to order billet grills, clear lights and remove the projectors. I think the money would be better spent on a light bar and HID off-road lights.

78Southwind
01-28-2014, 01:39 PM
What lights are you looking at?

niceguyeddie
01-28-2014, 01:58 PM
What lights are you looking at?

I haven't looked yet. The only "off the shelf" bolt on bar I've found is this one.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1999-2014-F250-F350-super-duty-excursion-light-bar-KC-/291065262157

I'm not too crazy about it so I still need to look around. Hopefully I'll see one in person. Sometimes that changes my mind on things.

Question: Are off-road lights required to be covered by law when on road?

78Southwind
01-28-2014, 03:36 PM
I haven't looked yet. The only "off the shelf" bolt on bar I've found is this one.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1999-2014-F250-F350-super-duty-excursion-light-bar-KC-/291065262157

I'm not too crazy about it so I still need to look around. Hopefully I'll see one in person. Sometimes that changes my mind on things.

Question: Are off-road lights required to be covered by law when on road?

Yes they do.

The only reason I know that the lights have to be covered is that back in the early 90's I had a friend of mine get pulled over for not having his lights on his over cab light bar covered. He was pissed and punched a light on the bar. The light broke and cut his wrist so bad that he had to have surgery and was out of work for a couple months.

niceguyeddie
01-28-2014, 10:06 PM
Yes they do.

The only reason I know that the lights have to be covered is that back in the early 90's I had a friend of mine get pulled over for not having his lights on his over cab light bar covered. He was pissed and punched a light on the bar. The light broke and cut his wrist so bad that he had to have surgery and was out of work for a couple months.

That sucks

niceguyeddie
01-28-2014, 10:12 PM
I wanted to add interior floor lights in the front. I had some purple neon lights in my garage so used those.

I tried searching for a dome light wire diagram, but had no luck. I had to pull the door panels off to get to my lock actuators so I traced the courtesy light on the passenger door, pig tailed into that and ran a power wire through to the cab.

So now they'll come on when you open the door or hit the dome light switch.

Found power.

Here's where I spliced it. If anyone wants to know, it's the black/blue wire.

Done!

The brake controller looked like it belonged on Fred Flinstones truck so that also came out. I'll add a nicer one later.

Tomorrow I'll tackle the actuators.

78Southwind
01-28-2014, 10:50 PM
Make sure to take some before & after pictures of your upholstery and post them up after you get the work done.

niceguyeddie
01-29-2014, 11:27 AM
Make sure to take some before & after pictures of your upholstery and post them up after you get the work done.

Will do. The seats look like shit.

I'm trying to get as much as I can before I loose the truck for a week. Upholstery is going to take a few days then it's going to the dealer to have some work done.