PDA

View Full Version : CA DMV Renewal Fees

RVRKID
01-24-2014, 10:55 AM
So I was just looking at our renewal letters for my girlfriends Tahoe and my Truck. She has a 2007 Tahoe and I have a 2005 Chevy 1500, hers is $158.00 and mine $198.00. They tacked on an $80 weight fee on mine.. WTH is that for because I can carry shit in the back of the truck? I know hers has to weigh more then mine.

riverrunner1984
01-24-2014, 11:23 AM
Think there is an additional charge for "Commercial Vehicle" even though its just a pick-up...
I have the same issue...They get us for everything here in CA

76Bonneville
01-24-2014, 12:12 PM
As stated by RR it's the commercial plates. I believe it goes up with the tonnage, 3/4 ton 1 ton are more.

riverrunner1984
01-24-2014, 12:15 PM
As stated by RR it's the commercial plates. I believe it goes up with the tonnage, 3/4 ton 1 ton are more.

Actually I have half ton, just a 1500 and still get nailed for it. Does price go up the more your truck weighs???..What was told to me was that it is an "open bed" therefor it is classified as a Commercial vehicle.
If you put a shell on it, it wont be considered a commercial vehicle any longer. Same goes for an SUV, they are not commercial because they are fully enclosed.
Believe me, I know its crazy!!!

niceguyeddie
01-24-2014, 03:05 PM
Think there is an additional charge for "Commercial Vehicle" even though its just a pick-up...
I have the same issue...They get us for everything here in CA

Yep. All pick ups have this. It's even more if it's a diesel! If you notice, all trucks plates have the same letter number sequence. The only way to get around this is to install a camper shell on your truck and have it registered as a passenger vehicle.

My 2007 2500hd Duramax that I recently sold was $400+ last year. My CTS was only $93 this year. I just bought an F250 and I think it was around $200. I think it should just be a flat fee. Both cars use the roads the same way.

...Then again, I think no registration fee should exist! We already pay taxes to build and maintain these precious roads that we are so privileged to drive on.

riverrunner1984
01-24-2014, 03:08 PM
Yep. All pick ups have this. It's even more if it's a diesel! If you notice, all trucks plates have the same letter number sequence. The only way to get around this is to install a camper shell on your truck and have it registered as a passenger vehicle.

My 2007 2500hd Duramax that I recently sold was $400+ last year. My CTS was only $93 this year. I just bought an F250 and I think it was around $200. I think it should just be a flat fee. Both cars use the roads the same way.

...Then again, I think no registration fee should exist! We already pay taxes to build and maintain these precious roads that we are so privileged to drive on.

Yah its nuts...I agree with no registration but we know that will never happen. I was told if you have a camper or a shell, it is considered habitable therefor its not commercial??? I dont understand the logic they use.

niceguyeddie
01-24-2014, 03:31 PM
Yah its nuts...I agree with no registration but we know that will never happen. I was told if you have a camper or a shell, it is considered habitable therefor its not commercial??? I dont understand the logic they use.

From what I remember being told at Auto Club, you basically pay a tax for having the ability to haul things. Even though it's your own crap! My truck wasn't used for work, just my own personal use. Why should I be charged a tax to move a couch around when I already payed income tax to earn the money then sales tax on the truck and couch? And people call America a free country with property rights? lol

So if you eliminate the option of being able to haul a load, you'll get a passenger plate and reduced fees. If you get caught with the shell off by CHP, bend over and grab your ankles!

Slowride
01-24-2014, 03:40 PM
Want to bitch about a crazy fee? $86 for a 1974 Pinto station wagon. A PINTO! Not much better for my kid's '63 Econoline. But the weather's good.....