PDA

View Full Version : A little flying at The Wedge Newport Beach

Get Some
01-21-2014, 04:21 PM
Well here is the first video. Learned a lot.. You tube hates music . I need a gimbal and better editing soft wear.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uxENmYX3pyE

GRADS
01-21-2014, 04:27 PM
That's really cool! I'm starting to see videos like this a lot more. Can explain the set up to me. Is it a quad copter and if so what are they and how much do they cost? Are they hard to fly? Is it a GoPro camera strapped to it?

GotHalos
01-21-2014, 04:42 PM
I would say that's pretty good for your first time. :) Cool video :thumbup: Thanks for sharing.

How was the takeoff and landing on sand? I'm always worried about debris kicking up and getting into some place it shouldn't.

Did you get any funny looks while flying there?

Get Some
01-21-2014, 04:47 PM
That's really cool! I'm starting to see videos like this a lot more. Can explain the set up to me. Is it a quad copter and if so what are they and how much do they cost? Are they hard to fly? Is it a GoPro camera strapped to it?

It is a DJI phantom.. Comes with everything you need to fly. You will need a Go pro and some spare batteries. If you have the concept of R/C cars then it is pretty easy to fly just add up and down and rotating.

Get Some
01-21-2014, 04:48 PM
I would say that's pretty good for your first time. :) Cool video :thumbup: Thanks for sharing.

How was the takeoff and landing on sand? I'm always worried about debris kicking up and getting into some place it shouldn't.

Did you get any funny looks while flying there?

I had about 10 people come up too me and ask questions. It was hard pack sand but I did not have any other option. I guess you could hold it and then take off?

2manymustangs
01-21-2014, 05:14 PM
You did good!!!

My son and I are going to get set up for this when the snow melts here :)

HE wants a quad rotor big enough to put one of his DSLR's on...

Get Some
01-21-2014, 05:16 PM
You did good!!!

My son and I are going to get set up for this when the snow melts here :)

That will be like Gothalos... $$$$$$$ I would start off small and get the hang of it..

riverrunner1984
01-21-2014, 05:17 PM
That's a great place for a video. Would like to see one when the wedge is going off at 10ft+

HB Vic
01-21-2014, 05:20 PM

Get your wallet and savings account ready LOL

2manymustangs
01-21-2014, 05:28 PM
Get your wallet and savings account ready LOL

YA, AND he still owes me a bundle for camera bodies/lenses... I dont think any of his DSLR stuff is going airborn until it is paid off :)

We will be starting small and with a GOPRO...

I wanted to mount a GOPRO on one of our stunt kites...

SnoC653
01-21-2014, 05:39 PM
Some of those lenses would almost equal a year at a good University. Can't wait to see your boy flying his quad and shooting some good pictures.

GotHalos
01-21-2014, 09:26 PM
I had about 10 people come up too me and ask questions. It was hard pack sand but I did not have any other option. I guess you could hold it and then take off?

I hear ya. I've always thought about throwing a couple towels down then setting the quad on top of them. I don't think the sand would hurt it but it's better to be safe then sorry.

riverrunner1984
01-23-2014, 11:06 AM
Just saw this posted on FB. Look like someone brought the quadracopter to Pipeline and videoed a big break.
Amazing video...

http://www.businessinsider.com.au/gopro-drone-surf-video-2014-1

GotHalos
01-23-2014, 02:31 PM
Just saw this posted on FB. Look like someone brought the quadracopter to Pipeline and videoed a big break.
Amazing video...

http://www.businessinsider.com.au/gopro-drone-surf-video-2014-1

Big waves everywhere this week! :thumbup: