PDA

View Full Version : AN / JIC Fittings

WESTERNAERO
01-18-2014, 01:26 PM
So last summer I almost sunk my boat do to a AN fitting on my cooling lines becoming so corroded it overheated the exhaust tubing. Which let to the hose rupturing and allowing water to enter the boat through a 4" hole. It was going down fast but luckily, I was able to get in on the trailer as water came over the transom. It basically sank on the trailer.
Since then, I've decided not to use Aluminum fitting anymore and run only stainless. In my search for stainless fittings I've noticed the fitting I'm looking for are hard to find and the quality of them sucks. So I've started making the ones I need myself. If I make one fitting it just as easy to let the machine run and make 10, 20, 30 pieces. I'm not looking to start a new business making fittings but I figured maybe some of you HotBoat people might be interested in these and some of the other fittings I'm going to be making in the future for my boat.
Being an Aerospace parts supplier I have access to the specs that these are supposed to be made to. Not like some or most of the ones on the market that are back engineered. As I go along making different sizes and styles I will post up pics and If somebody needs some of the same send me a PM.
Mr. HotBoat, I hope you're okay with me offering this on here. If it's and issue let me know, I understand.

This fitting was feeding water to my CMI headers, its a -12, well it's supposed to be anyway. This is not from saltwater, this is from the Colorado River water.

HB Vic
01-18-2014, 01:28 PM
I have no issue with this at all. If it will help a fellow boater I'm all for it. I've seen some of the stuff you do and its pretty bad ass.

WESTERNAERO
01-18-2014, 01:34 PM
This is the first fitting I've made. -12 AN to -12 O-ring. Notice the large flanged shoulder for the hex. The O-ring style fittings I've found do not have a large enough shoulder to fully close off the O-ring. Also has a taper on the ID for better flow. In the last picture you can see how the o-ring is completely shut off, unlike some that use a standard union and the o-ring is exposed at the flats of the hex.

HB Vic
01-18-2014, 01:55 PM
304 or 316SS? out of curiosity.

WESTERNAERO
01-18-2014, 01:58 PM
304 or 316SS? out of curiosity.

316, sorry should have mentioned that.
AS-4395 spec for hose end

gn7
01-18-2014, 02:07 PM
Damn Spammer!!:spam:

Beautiful work. Excellent design. I'd order a few, but every 12 X 12 I have is used on oil.

WESTERNAERO
01-18-2014, 02:13 PM

Beautiful work. Excellent design. I'd order a few, but every 12 X 12 I have is used on oil.

Just tired of out of tolerance Chines junk.
-6, -8, -10 to follow. O-ring and NPT. And some other specials.

HB Vic
01-18-2014, 02:24 PM

Boater spam is acceptable, smoothie spam is not :D

gn7
01-18-2014, 07:33 PM
Just tired of out of tolerance Chines junk.
-6, -8, -10 to follow. O-ring and NPT. And some other specials.
You know, you could laser etch each flat with DCB and sell them for 350.00 each, 550.00 polished.
Make them of gold plated Unobtainium and sell them for 1500.00 each and they will use them on their bilge pumps that have the Official DCB logo.

WESTERNAERO
01-18-2014, 07:47 PM
You know, you could laser etch each flat with DCB and sell them for 350.00 each, 550.00 polished.
Make them of gold plated Unobtainium and sell them for 1500.00 each and they will use them on their bilge pumps that have the Official DCB logo.

Bob you must be bored tonight. Where's 2MM and his ford crap for you to pick on. :biggrin:

gn7
01-18-2014, 08:00 PM
Bob you must be bored tonight. Where's 2MM and his ford crap for you to pick on. :biggrin:

I'm not picking on you. I think the fittings are bad azz, and I am truly interested in getting a few. But the big money is in the 40 ft plus channel yachts. I'm wondering how many of those would it take to completely outfit 2 Merc 1650s. Chaa Ching!

WESTERNAERO
01-18-2014, 08:14 PM
I'm not picking on you. I think the fittings are bad azz, and I am truly interested in getting a few. But the big money is in the 40 ft plus channel yachts. I'm wondering how many of those would it take to completely outfit 2 Merc 1650s. Chaa Ching!

I was just giving you shit, I'm pretty thick skinned. I wrote that with a big fat smile.
Yeah I know that's where the money would be with this sort of thing if I were looking to market them to marine apps. Not sure I even want to go there. I'd have to start a side gig with different equipment to make worth while. I know all about these type of fitting, I've be making them for a long time for the oil/gas and energy industries. Plus all the fuel system stuff for planes ans space flight shit. To make them in a hobby fashion for guys that appreciate nice stuff is really why I put on here. If mercury approached me about making a shit pile of them, would I turn them down? Hell no. Who knows maybe someone might want a 1000 of them.

gn7
01-18-2014, 08:30 PM
Its too bad they take so much effort to pop out in limited numbers. I would think you could sell them thru boat parts houses and AN suppliers. But I doubt they would give you a large enough order at a time to justify the hassle off doing it.

Not bored, but when you can respond to a boat related thread here, you jump on it. :wink:

You ever get around whipping up -8 X 1/2 MPT, I could use a few.

WESTERNAERO
01-18-2014, 08:42 PM
Next week I'm finishing some -12 to 3/4NPT and -12 to 1/2 NPT and -12 to -10 O-ring. I was going to move on to -10's but I can do 8's first. How many do you need? I'll just send you some you can buy me a beer sometime. PM me a shipping address.

gn7
01-18-2014, 08:52 PM
Next week I'm finishing some -12 to 3/4NPT and -12 to 1/2 NPT and -12 to -10 O-ring. I was going to move on to -10's but I can do 8's first. How many do you need? I'll just send you some you can buy me a beer sometime. PM me a shipping address.

Let me count them up. It will be more than a couple beers worth, and I may have some places for the sizes you just posted. I'll send you a PM when I figure them out.

78Southwind
01-18-2014, 09:16 PM
Very Nice...:thumb:

SFV2RVR
01-18-2014, 09:19 PM
I was just giving you shit, I'm pretty thick skinned. I wrote that with a big fat smile.
Yeah I know that's where the money would be with this sort of thing if I were looking to market them to marine apps. Not sure I even want to go there. I'd have to start a side gig with different equipment to make worth while. I know all about these type of fitting, I've be making them for a long time for the oil/gas and energy industries. Plus all the fuel system stuff for planes ans space flight shit. To make them in a hobby fashion for guys that appreciate nice stuff is really why I put on here. If mercury approached me about making a shit pile of them, would I turn them down? Hell no. Who knows maybe someone might want a 1000 of them.

Can we re plumb my entire Schiada? Shit looks bad ass man!

WESTERNAERO
01-18-2014, 09:21 PM
Can we re plumb my entire Schiada? Shit looks bad ass man!

For you fucker, 1 million dollars. And don't tell me you don't have it.

gn7
01-18-2014, 09:36 PM

Straight off, all Schiada owners have to pay 99.995% of the list price the DCB owners pay. Seahorse lazer etching is double.
.00001% discount for volume purchases over 150,000 buy in.

SnoC653
01-18-2014, 09:50 PM
Those are very nice pieces. I wish I was to the plumbing stage on my boat. I am a little anal about clean and sanitary looking lines and wires. But you'd need to make some with longer threads to allow a thru transom fittings with a jamb nut and washer for the water lines.

WESTERNAERO
01-18-2014, 09:55 PM
Those are very nice pieces. I wish I was to the plumbing stage on my boat. I am a little anal about clean and sanitary looking lines and wires. But you'd need to make some with longer threads to allow a thru transom fittings with a jamb nut and washer for the water lines.

I'll be making those also. Starting with the pickups first.

gn7
01-18-2014, 10:00 PM

Stainless bulkhead fittings are as common as salt water in the pacific. Of course it might help to live near the pacific to find them,

SBS933
01-18-2014, 10:08 PM
W.T.F. can't you get those at McMaster or am i missing something. those look like the fittings I stick on Cla Vals daily.

WESTERNAERO
01-18-2014, 10:12 PM
W.T.F. can't you get those at McMaster or am i missing something. those look like the fittings I stick on Cla Vals daily.

Quick answer, NO.

Mitch
01-18-2014, 10:15 PM
When We did the Hallett a few years ago I switched to 100 percent to stainless adaptors many had be be fabbed because they didnt exist plus another issue with stainless is a 8 and a 12 adapter does not look the same even from the same mfg . It was alot of work but worth it , your custom fittings are bad ass ...

WESTERNAERO
01-18-2014, 10:25 PM
When We did the Hallett a few years ago I switched to 100 percent to stainless adaptors many had be be fabbed because they didnt exist plus another issue with stainless is a 8 and a 12 adapter does not look the same even from the same mfg . It was alot of work but worth it , your custom fittings are bad ass ...

One of the problems with the commercial ( if you can call it that ) is when you're doing exactly that. For example -12AN to 1/2NPT is necked down at the pipe thread size in the ID. Why or what is the point of increasing hose size for more flow if the adapter fitting is necked down in the pipe thread area. It defeats the propose. There are some fitting made by the so called hi-po manufactures don't have a clue. They get them all from the same place in china.

gn7
01-18-2014, 10:33 PM
I'll be making those also. Starting with the pickups first.

Cav plate pickups????

WESTERNAERO
01-18-2014, 10:35 PM
Cav plate pickups????

Yes, plate and thru hull pickups.

gn7
01-18-2014, 10:44 PM
Niiiiice!

SnoC653
01-18-2014, 11:00 PM
Stainless bulkhead fittings are as common as salt water in the pacific. Of course it might help to live near the pacific to find them,

Around these parts, I'm lucky if they know what a V-drive is when I show them a picture. Parts are definitely not something that I can go to the local marine store and pick up. The one marine store is owned by a guy that does kneel down whackers so at least he knows what they are. But they won't work on a V-drive nor the jet boat. At least they wanted nothing to do with checking the jet for clearances and if it needed to be rebuilt when I asked.

gn7
01-18-2014, 11:08 PM
Around these parts, I'm lucky if they know what a V-drive is when I show them a picture. Parts are definitely not something that I can go to the local marine store and pick up. The one marine store is owned by a guy that does kneel down whackers so at least he knows what they are. But they won't work on a V-drive nor the jet boat. At least they wanted nothing to do with checking the jet for clearances and if it needed to be rebuilt when I asked.

I mistook what Westernaero is making anyway. Pickups are a little tougher to find. I was thinking thru hull dumps. Thru hull pickups and cav plate pickups aren't used on everything. But even I/Os and roll bar boats use dumps, and SS isn't hard to find.

SFV2RVR
01-18-2014, 11:10 PM

I'm so broke I gotta jack my dog off just to feed my cat!

WESTERNAERO
01-18-2014, 11:14 PM

Whatever 2x's Schiada owner. I've got a spectra bottom, I'm low budget.

gn7
01-18-2014, 11:21 PM

Oh stop your whining. You haven't hit the skids until you drown the cat and stop buying coffee creamer.

Mitch
01-19-2014, 08:28 AM
Also on off the shelf stainless adapters the hose end side is not consistant in length one fitting lets say a straight the hose end covers all the threads and on a 45 3 threads show.

Menace Marine
01-19-2014, 09:44 AM
Those fittings are really nice. Start stocking up and I will buy them from you for customer boats. Free delivery right?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk (http://tapatalk.com/m?id=1)