PDA

View Full Version : Anybody know what this is worth?

28eliminator
01-17-2014, 01:36 PM
I paid $1800 for this thing about 7 years ago. 8' diameter. anyone know anything about this stuff?

I want to get rid of it

GRADS
01-17-2014, 01:42 PM
It's oriental ;)

28eliminator
01-17-2014, 01:53 PM
Actually I was told Persian. It was made in Pakistan...

SnoC653
01-17-2014, 02:11 PM
I paid $1800 for this thing about 7 years ago. 8' diameter. anyone know anything about this stuff?

I want to get rid of it

There are a lot of variables when it comes to Persian Rugs. Was it hand made or machine made, the type of wool that it was woven with. The richness of the colors and on and on. I do know that a lot of us brought and sent rugs back from Afghanistan because the price was dirt cheap compared to what they were going for here. As a result the prices fell considerably here in the states.

I gave a very good quality 8' X 10' to a friend and I hear she got a whole $650 for it after we broke up. Considering I paid $350 for it, it was still a good profit. The shape is unique and that will either add or detract from the value as there are only so many rooms you can put a rug like that in and have it fit properly and proportionately. I'd contact a shop and have them appraise it for you for insurance purposes. Then you'll have documentation of it's worth when you go to sell it.

ChumpChange
01-17-2014, 03:59 PM
Drive it out to Glendale where you'll get the best price!

Eli
01-17-2014, 04:15 PM
Actually I was told Persian. It was made in Pakistan...

Persian rug made in Pakistan? That's interesting.

Sent from my Bat Cave

76Bonneville
01-17-2014, 04:25 PM
It's oriental ;)
It was the Orientals who migrated to Pakistan that made the Persian rug.
Actually the Persian influence covered North Africa to Asia at one time.

Persian rug made in Pakistan? That's interesting.

Sent from my Bat Cave

Eli
01-17-2014, 04:30 PM

Wow that's interesting. You'd think I would know these things :)

Sent from my Bat Cave

76Bonneville
01-17-2014, 11:50 PM
You can take the Jap out of the Orient, but you can't Orient out of the Jap.

p.

Sent from my Bat Cave

nowski
01-18-2014, 08:43 AM

Sent from my Bat Cave Weren't you born in Persia? If so that would make you the expert. I thought I saw your B/P in a post a couple of weeks ago.

Eli
01-18-2014, 09:08 AM
Weren't you born in Persia? If so that would make you the expert. I thought I saw your B/P in a post a couple of weeks ago.

I was born in Iran (Persia hasn't existed since the 1930's) ...but I came here when I was 5. My mother would know something about it. You'd think I know where they came from considered I own a few :yikes:

I prefer to sport my $700 lowes rug over my Persians :D

Sent from my Bat Cave

28eliminator
01-18-2014, 09:14 AM
I was born in Iran (Persia hasn't existed since the 1930's) ...but I came here when I was 5. My mother would know something about it. You'd think I know where they came from considered I own a few :yikes:

I prefer to sport my $700 lowes rug over my Persians :D

Sent from my Bat Cave

Are you related to shintooo? :)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

28eliminator
01-18-2014, 09:17 AM
There are a lot of variables when it comes to Persian Rugs. Was it hand made or machine made, the type of wool that it was woven with. The richness of the colors and on and on. I do know that a lot of us brought and sent rugs back from Afghanistan because the price was dirt cheap compared to what they were going for here. As a result the prices fell considerably here in the states.

I gave a very good quality 8' X 10' to a friend and I hear she got a whole $650 for it after we broke up. Considering I paid $350 for it, it was still a good profit. The shape is unique and that will either add or detract from the value as there are only so many rooms you can put a rug like that in and have it fit properly and proportionately. I'd contact a shop and have them appraise it for you for insurance purposes. Then you'll have documentation of it's worth when you go to sell it.

I'll get ahold of a shop like you said. Thanks for the info!

Eli
01-18-2014, 09:18 AM
Are you related to shintooo? :)

Nope and we don't all look alike ;)

Sent from my Bat Cave

nowski
01-18-2014, 10:00 AM
[QUOTE=28eliminator;82814]Are you related to shintooo? :)

America, the ultimate melting pot... I have a friend from China (The most generous China Man on the planet) he use to always tell me that when he came to this country he had nothing. I finally got tired of hearing it so I finally told him that when I came to this country I had nothing not even a diaper. Typical Chinese guy he didn't get it...