PDA

View Full Version : Income Tax '13

Stainless
01-16-2014, 05:14 PM
Starting to get stuff ready, argh!
For me the painful part is organizing records. I will be using Turbo Tax premier this year...years past I've used regular TT. Last year I sold some stock and had to upgrade to Premier after the fact.

CH3NO2

GRADS
01-16-2014, 05:22 PM
I pay a CPA and then wait for the check to be deposited in my account....pretty painless.

Stainless
01-16-2014, 05:23 PM
I pay a CPA and then wait for the check to be deposited in my account....pretty painless.

Nice, but I'm a cheap bastard. :D

CH3NO2

GRADS
01-16-2014, 05:28 PM
Nice, but I'm a cheap bastard. :D

CH3NO2

My CPA and I have been friends since we were 14, even lived together a few years so I only get charged $300

28eliminator
01-16-2014, 05:36 PM
Best money spent is a "creative" tax guy/CPA. :)

Sent from somewhere on the water

Eli
01-16-2014, 05:49 PM
I've used a CPA for 12 years and it's the best. I always get a refund well worth the $300-400.

Sent from my Bat Cave

gn7
01-16-2014, 06:00 PM
The tax code is like the laws. Written to perpetuate a industry by those that benefit from it. Job security. Like owning the company responsible for fixing pot holes, and having a corner on the front end alignment business, Not only how many pot holes are you going to fill, but how many would you create in the middle of the night?

GRADS
01-16-2014, 06:12 PM
The tax code is like the laws. Written to perpetuate a industry by those that benefit from it. Job security. Like owning the company responsible for fixing pot holes, and having a corner on the front end alignment business, Not only how many pot holes are you going to fill, but how many would you create in the middle of the night?

:headscratch::signhuh:

ChumpChange
01-16-2014, 07:33 PM
:headscratch::signhuh:

In simple terms. There will never be tax reform to a flat tax as too many accountants would be out of jobs.

riverrunner1984
01-16-2014, 07:38 PM
Started using a CPA when i bought my house. Best 250 I spend a year.

78Southwind
01-16-2014, 07:51 PM
I could easily do my own taxes but if I ever get audited I want my CPA to be there for me. So it's cheap insurance...

Stainless
01-16-2014, 08:00 PM
Damn, I'm the only cheapskate here. :D
Just to take it a little farther I am perfectly comfortable doing taxes using IRS publications vs Tax software bc I've always been hands on with my income tax. I also think being able to prepare at minimum form 1040 should have been a requisite to graduate from high school.

CH3NO2

ChumpChange
01-16-2014, 08:04 PM
My EA takes care of everything. No need for a CPA. I know how those guys are! :D

Stainless
01-16-2014, 08:07 PM
My EA takes care of everything. No need for a CPA. I know how those guys are! :D

What's an EA?

CH3NO2

Napanutt
01-16-2014, 08:13 PM
In simple terms. There will never be tax reform to a flat tax as too many accountants would be out of jobs.

Would it be inappropriate to say accounts suck here? :)

78Southwind
01-16-2014, 08:15 PM
What's an EA?

CH3NO2

h&r block

Stainless
01-16-2014, 08:15 PM
Would it be inappropriate to say accounts suck here? :)

No, I don't think there are any accountants that frequent THIS site.
Accountants suck! :D

CH3NO2

Bobby V
01-16-2014, 08:16 PM
Having a rental in Havasu and a home in Yorba Linda. No way I could do it myself with all the write offs that I get. $350.00 well spent.

Wendi
01-16-2014, 08:31 PM
Best money spent is a "creative" tax guy/CPA. :)

Sent from somewhere on the water

Amen! Best money ever spent. But we always owe so I don't look forward to this time of year. Please file my extension LOL

ChumpChange
01-16-2014, 08:40 PM
What's an EA?

CH3NO2

Enrolled Agent. Tax guy. I don't need audited level financials for my personal stuff.

H&R Block? Hahahaha. I've had the same firm for a long time......and I know a lot of firms. Know a great firm for any situation in SoCal. If you have a business in the IE, Orange County, and East LA County, I probably know your firm.

Stainless
01-16-2014, 08:42 PM
Amen! Best money ever spent. But we always owe so I don't look forward to this time of year. Please file my extension LOL

Don't you pay interest on extensions if you owe?

CH3NO2

Wendi
01-16-2014, 08:47 PM

CH3NO2 No as long as you do them before October.

ChumpChange
01-16-2014, 08:49 PM

CH3NO2

You still have to pay your estimated by deadline. Extensions do not extend payment deadline.

28eliminator
01-16-2014, 08:53 PM
No, I don't think there are any accountants that frequent THIS site.
Accountants suck! :D

CH3NO2

He does more than you think I'll bet :)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Eli
01-16-2014, 08:58 PM

:lmao

Sent from my Bat Cave

Stainless
01-16-2014, 09:00 PM

Maybe we can get a post out of him? ;)

CH3NO2

GRADS
01-16-2014, 09:01 PM
We always get money back...probably not as much as in years past but this year its going straight to the boat fund.

Ziggy
01-16-2014, 09:03 PM
I'm down to 5 returns to get prepared compared to the 6 I've had for the last 7 years......at least no more Inc's that are due March15th:party-smiley-020:

78Southwind
01-16-2014, 09:53 PM
I am kind of anal but I estimate my Federal taxes every year before I see my CPA. It's pretty easy if anyone is interested.

Tax Year
Modified Adjusted Income (AGI + Taxable Int. + Taxable Refunds)

Gross Income (Box 1 on W2) +
Adjustments To Income (Taxable Int. + Taxable Refunds)
=Adjusted Gross Income -
Schedule E Real Estate Income (loss)
Total Personal Exemptions
Schedule A Itemized Deductions
=Taxable Income
Taxes Owed Based on Tax-Rate Schedule Or Tax Tables -
Tax Credits
=Final Tax Liability -
Federal Income Tax H-Withholding
=Estimated Tax Payments
(Refund to be Received) or Payment Owed

From Schedule E Real Estate Income
Rental Income -
Interest
Advertising
Taxes
Association Dues
Repairs
Cleaning Fees
Utilities
Insurance
Painting and Decorating
Mileage Per Trip @ .555 Per Mile
Depreciation Expense & Sec 179 Bonus
=Total Rental Tax Deduction +
Deferred Loss from prior year
=Profit / (Loss)
(Limited by Phase Out Limit)

From Schedule A Itemized Deductions
Home Interest
Home Taxes
Donations
Personal Property Tax
State & Local Taxes (Box 14 & 17 on W2)
Sum = Itemized Deductions

SBS933
01-16-2014, 09:59 PM
I also pay a C.P.A. she checks in with me in June so I can make adjustments. I usually pay in $100.00 to the Feds and get $500.00 back from the state. One year I payed the Feds $1.00 I would rather have my money throughout the year than struggle to yank it out of Some P.O.S. hands.

78Southwind
01-16-2014, 10:09 PM
Having a rental in Havasu and a home in Yorba Linda. No way I could do it myself with all the write offs that I get. $350.00 well spent.

I am sure your CPA tells you this (I am not one and this is not tax advice :wink2:) but if you ever have any problems with your Adjusted Gross Income being to high causing you to hit the Phaseout Limit (limiting your Real Estate Losses) if you do a little planning through you and your wife's 401(k) plans or other retirement plans you may be able to get your AGI low enough to stay under the Phaseout Limit.

78Southwind
01-16-2014, 10:26 PM
78Southwind that is exactly why I pay a CPA!. My taxes are fairly simple now but the past decade has been a little different. My CPA got me back over 6 figures between '09-'11.

It doesn't sound like you need a CPA ....it sounds like you need some protection. I think I have the perfect guy for you his name is Pizzo.

GRADS
02-20-2014, 09:35 PM
Well, we met with our CPA today and for the first time in a long time we owe. :( At least it's not too much.

SBS933
02-20-2014, 10:51 PM
I forgot to call my C.P.A. in June. I have to pay in because I don't have alimony write offs (which kicked ass) and I streamlined my house so I gotta pay in. WHATEVER no prob. And GRADS if your C.P.A. is your buddy and he or she is Boning you for $300.00 you are getting screwed.

GRADS
02-20-2014, 11:09 PM
And GRADS if your C.P.A. is your buddy and he or she is Boning you for $300.00 you are getting screwed.

That's okay, I charged him 50K for a pool. ;)

ChumpChange
02-21-2014, 06:58 AM
Well, we met with our CPA today and for the first time in a long time we owe. :( At least it's not too much.

Will that come out of the boat fund since a refund would have gone in it?

That's okay, I charged him 50K for a pool. ;)

hahahaha

GRADS
02-21-2014, 08:26 AM
Will that come out of the boat fund since a refund would have gone in it?

Actually no because at the beginning of last year we set some money aside to pay for this years taxes and it ended up being too much. :thumbup: So we will still be adding to the boat fund.

thatguy
02-21-2014, 08:27 AM
I did my own for 20 years, but when I started contracting, that stopped!

Working in different States, and having 1099 employees (back then) made it impossible for me to do them in a proficient manner.

I use a CPA that also has pro-sports clients, so she is the pro at multi State income, work related temp residencies, various State income tax rates and applications etc. and the associated expense deductibles.

returns are but a distant memory.

pvhca1
02-21-2014, 05:06 PM
I dropped mine off Monday evening, got a call about an hour ago with some bad news, I'll be reviewing my books again, I must have forgotten quite a few things, LOL!!

I go twice a year to be properly prepared!

GotHalos
02-21-2014, 05:13 PM
I just found my $11 state refund check from last year. :)

Stainless
04-08-2014, 02:01 PM
:(
Received notice this morning I was audited for '09.

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/04/09/e6atuqaq.jpg

CH3NO2

Stainless
04-08-2014, 02:03 PM
:(
http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/04/09/tusedumu.jpg

CH3NO2

riverrunner1984
04-08-2014, 04:47 PM
Thats def not fun

Eli
04-08-2014, 05:33 PM
That sucks!

Sent from my Bat Cave

Paul65K
04-08-2014, 05:43 PM
I am sure your CPA tells you this (I am not one and this is not tax advice :wink2:) but if you ever have any problems with your Adjusted Gross Income being to high causing you to hit the Phaseout Limit (limiting your Real Estate Losses) if you do a little planning through you and your wife's 401(k) plans or other retirement plans you may be able to get your AGI low enough to stay under the Phaseout Limit.Or..........if you're a "Real Estate Professional" you can also find a way around this limitation if you fall into the AMT category...........again not legal/tax advice but something to make sure you ask your tax preparer.

Stainless
04-08-2014, 06:09 PM
That sucks!

Sent from my Bat Cave

Since English and grammar are important in your profession does it not seem strange the author of the cover letter uses "I" instead of "The AZ dept of revenue" to reference the dept? He references "I" a few times in the first paragraph...almost appears fake. Idk, maybe it's just the way I read it.

CH3NO2

Boatnaked
04-08-2014, 06:09 PM
WOW! after reading what everyone pays their CPA, I'm damn lucky been going to the same place since I was 16, first the dad now the son, I only pay $45 for mine!

Paul65K
04-08-2014, 06:14 PM
What's an EA?

CH3NO2

WOW! after reading what everyone pays their CPA, I'm damn lucky been going to the same place since I was 16, first the dad now the son, I only pay $45 for mine!I have no doubt that you are getting a great deal but just out of curiosity how many schedules do you typically have along with your return each year?

Schedule C?
Schedule D?
Schedule E?
Etc.....

Depending on how many properties, investments, businesses, etc... Makes a good deal of difference on how much time it takes to prepare a return..........just sayin' :wink:

Eli
04-08-2014, 06:15 PM
Since English and grammar are important in your profession does it not seem strange the author of the cover letter uses "I" instead of "The AZ dept of revenue" to reference the dept? He references "I" a few times in the first paragraph...almost appears fake. Idk, maybe it's just the way I read it.

CH3NO2
Yea it does. You should call the narcissist and make sure it's legit.

WOW! after reading what everyone pays their CPA, I'm damn lucky been going to the same place since I was 16, first the dad now the son, I only pay $45 for mine!

It always hurts to pay $350 a year for my tax returns, then I get the call I got today with my total refund amount and I'm thrilled to pay them for their services.

Sent from my Bat Cave

Paul65K
04-08-2014, 06:26 PM
It always hurts to pay $350 a year for my tax returns, then I get the call I got today with my total refund amount and I'm thrilled to pay them for their services.

Sent from my Bat CaveI hear you........I was just hoping that I'd not have to pay in this year and went through the final numbers with my accountant yesterday. Good news is that I'm actually getting enough $$ back to buy a new boat......filed electronically and I should have the money in my account from both the Feds and the State within 10 days.....here's the boat I have my eye on :D

314joey
04-08-2014, 06:44 PM
I'm just happy to pay my ridiculous taxes to make other people happy :oops:

Stainless
04-08-2014, 06:51 PM

That sounds political Joey...you might want to re-run that post through Word Smith. :D

CH3NO2

Eli
04-08-2014, 06:53 PM

You wouldn't have that problem if you made less money ;)

Sent from my Bat Cave

Ziggy
04-08-2014, 08:43 PM
Sent from my Bat Cave
I'd trade you tax preparers fees in a heartbeat. I have three different ones handling shit:banghead::banghead:
But the good thing is I hate dodling around and I push 'em to get it done timely. All 6 of the ones I had to get done have been sent weeks ago:thumbup::thumbup: down one return since closing the dealership.:o

From my POS T-mobile thingie

ChumpChange
04-08-2014, 09:03 PM
Pay your taxes! Millions on welfare are depending on you!

HB Vic
04-08-2014, 09:06 PM
Pay your taxes! Millions on welfare are depending on you!

Now this seems at first like a pretty political statement.

However, if you remove the political overtones, its more factual than political.

For that reason I will allow it to stay LOL

ChumpChange
04-08-2014, 09:12 PM
At least there is no retroactive Prop 30 like last year. Had a client need to cut a check for $750,000 because of that prop alone!

Ziggy
04-08-2014, 09:12 PM

However, if you remove the political overtones, its more factual than political.

The exclamation point at the end sealed the deal.....without that it would've failed. :p

From my POS T-mobile thingie

ChumpChange
04-08-2014, 09:16 PM
Pay your taxes! Millions of democrats on welfare are depending on you!

lol. And to think I edited my original message for that reason. :D

HB Vic
04-08-2014, 09:19 PM
At least there is no retroactive Prop 30 like last year. Had a client need to cut a check for $750,000 because of that prop alone!

I would have tapped my CPA's E&O insurance :D

ChumpChange
04-08-2014, 09:22 PM
I would have tapped my CPA's E&O insurance :D

lol. Wasn't voted in until November. Couldn't really plan on that. He was up to date and accurate on all the other estimated. That was just the retroactive tax. Think about the amount planned. ;)

HB Vic
04-08-2014, 09:25 PM
lol. Wasn't voted in until November. Couldn't really plan on that. He was up to date and accurate on all the other estimated. That was just the retroactive tax. Think about the amount planned. ;)

That'll fuck up your net worth and maybe bump a couple of LOC covenants over the top.

Unless you're loaded, then who cares :D

ChumpChange
04-08-2014, 09:41 PM
Unless you're loaded, then who cares :D

There we have it! Still hurts though. Sure makes me feel a lot better about my measly tax payments!

Boatnaked
04-09-2014, 02:10 PM
I have no doubt that you are getting a great deal but just out of curiosity how many schedules do you typically have along with your return each year?

Schedule C?
Schedule D?
Schedule E?
Etc.....

Depending on how many properties, investments, businesses, etc... Makes a good deal of difference on how much time it takes to prepare a return..........just sayin' :wink:

well that shows how much I know about taxes, I give him all my info and he does the rest, even files it electronically, the wife tried running one of those business out of the home last year and we lost money, go figure! and I probably don't make no where near what you make being a government worker, but looking at a $45 charge compared to what everyone else is paying is great

314joey
04-09-2014, 02:15 PM
That sounds political Joey...you might want to re-run that post through Word Smith. :D

CH3NO2

Wasn't meant to be political, just telling it like it is.

You wouldn't have that problem if you made less money ;)

Sent from my Bat Cave

I'm unemployed, me got no money...........at least I'm not going to soon.

Eli
04-09-2014, 02:16 PM

What? Sexy Terri is a sugar mamma too? Man I'm doing this all wrong! I'm gonna become a lesbian!

Sent from my Bat Cave

Stainless
04-09-2014, 02:16 PM

Just yanking the chain, lol. :D

CH3NO2

314joey
04-09-2014, 02:26 PM
She's a "virtual assistant" works on the net and no, she's not a phone sex operator, dahm it...................lmao.

What? Sexy Terri is a sugar mamma too? Man I'm doing this all wrong! I'm gonna become a lesbian!

Sent from my Bat Cave

Just yanking the chain, lol. :D

CH3NO2

I know, we cool.

Paul65K
04-09-2014, 03:39 PM
I probably don't make no where near what you make being a government worker
Man that's rich :lmao

Eli
04-09-2014, 03:48 PM
She's a "virtual assistant" works on the net and no, she's not a phone sex operator, dahm it...................lmao.

I know, we cool.

Sign me up! Sounds like a good gig!

Sent from my Bat Cave

Boatnaked
04-10-2014, 02:03 PM
Man that's rich :lmao

sorry

Quote Originally Posted by Boatnaked View Post

I probably don't make no where near what you make, I'm just a government worker

Paul65K
04-10-2014, 03:58 PM
sorry

Quote Originally Posted by Boatnaked View Post

I probably don't make no where near what you make, I'm just a government workerIt's all good.....I'm actually in the same boat as Joey.......I make zero these days :grumble:..........somebody please buy a house from me :D

CarolynandBob
04-12-2014, 07:50 AM
We pay 200. She is a long time friend of my wife. Have to pay 4K this year. :thumbsdown:grumble

Wendi
04-12-2014, 08:03 AM
Did our taxes last night over the phone pick up today sign and mail with a very large check boo!

Stainless
04-12-2014, 08:28 AM
Doing mine this weekend, all the info is entered, just need to see if I can find something extra to offset the audit they jammed me with. :D

CH3NO2