PDA

View Full Version : Desert Storm, Run it, or watch it

Unforgiven
01-15-2014, 03:36 PM
We've been going to Desert Storm the past 5 years. we've always spectated..Last year we where trying to get the boat done in time so we could run it, But we didn't get a chance to dial in the boat..So this year our plans are to run it, go to the dinners and all that other stuff..So for for those who have been there..which was more fun...Running it? or sitting back partying/spectating??

HB Vic
01-15-2014, 03:40 PM
All of the above.

Run the fucker. That little 26, like mine, won't see much over 85 if you find good water, but I didn't care it was a blast!!

Wendi
01-15-2014, 03:42 PM
All of the above.

Run the fucker. That little 26, like mine, won't see much over 85 if you find good water, but I didn't care it was a blast!! Curious and it would be nice to share with others? Did you finish? and did you get all your cards during your run? Carry on.

HB Vic
01-15-2014, 03:45 PM
Curious and it would be nice to share with others? Did you finish? and did you get all your cards during your run? Carry on.

You just called me selfish in another thread, so no, I'm not going to share :tongue:

Wendi
01-15-2014, 03:47 PM
You just called me selfish in another thread, so no, I'm not going to share :tongue: Ok well it would have been better if you did, because I know the truth, would you like one more chance???

HB Vic
01-15-2014, 03:49 PM
Ok well it would have been better if you did, because I know the truth, would you like one more chance???

I will allow you to embellish. Have fun LOL

Stainless
01-15-2014, 03:51 PM
I've ran it 4 times, 2 as a guest in 39' Outer Limits, 2 times in my 24 Daytona. Truth is it was rough in both. You don't have to try and keep up with the leaders of your group as I did. :rolleyes:
You don't even have to go to the card stops if you choose not, they will give you hands at the card turn in. To me the best part was the free beer, hourderves, with band on Friday night and the awards banquet Sat night.
To summarize, I recommend running it.

CH3NO2

Wendi
01-15-2014, 03:52 PM
I will allow you to embellish. Have fun LOL Ok thanks! So he couldn't find his way, missed cards stops, didn't get all his cards, came back early, enough said. Now had WMC been in the boat, he would have finished and received all his cards. Someone doesn't have a good sense of direction and neither did his co-pilots LOLOLOL!!!!!

Eli
01-15-2014, 04:01 PM
I've done both and I say run it!!! But, keep in mind the water is ROUGH!

Sent from my Bat Cave

HB Vic
01-15-2014, 04:03 PM
Ok thanks! So he couldn't find his way, missed cards stops, didn't get all his cards, came back early, enough said. Now had WMC been in the boat, he would have finished and received all his cards. Someone doesn't have a good sense of direction and neither did his co-pilots LOLOLOL!!!!!

Well that's partially true. I really don't know the lake all that well. 1-2X a year, maybe 6-8 trips total ever. Same for my co-pilots LOL.

Truth is you don't have to make all the stops anyway, you still get your cards. So it was kind of fun getting lost a little here and there.

In my little 26, I could miss both entrances to the Channel when its rough. I'm completely focused on the water. Maybe I should install that 5 place intercom I've had for 3 years :D

Outboardguru
01-15-2014, 04:03 PM
We've been going to Desert Storm the past 5 years. we've always spectated..Last year we where trying to get the boat done in time so we could run it, But we didn't get a chance to dial in the boat..So this year our plans are to run it, go to the dinners and all that other stuff..So for for those who have been there..which was more fun...Running it? or sitting back partying/spectating??

Why don't you just stop being such a cheap ass onlooker and join in with the real boaters? Maybe you need Shannon to drive the boat?

Unforgiven
01-15-2014, 04:06 PM
All of the above.

Run the fucker. That little 26, like mine, won't see much over 85 if you find good water, but I didn't care it was a blast!!

....I can't wait...Lets go have a blast!!,,,But you'll have to go faster than 85......

28eliminator
01-15-2014, 04:07 PM
I'm gonna watch :biggrin:

HB Vic
01-15-2014, 04:08 PM
....I can't wait...Lets go have a blast!!,,,But you'll have to go faster than 85......

I can go faster than 85, just not on that day. If you can, I'll be glad to chill in your roost :D

Unforgiven
01-15-2014, 04:08 PM
Why don't you just stop being such a cheap ass onlooker and join in with the real boaters? Maybe you need Shannon to drive the boat?

Hey bitch...when will you go get your own boat and quit swinging off of...ok..I won't say it...Nice of you to join the conversation..you done giving Cole owners shit yet?

Menace Marine
01-15-2014, 04:31 PM
I won't run it. Too much pressure to try to run up front. The last thing anyone wants is my blind ass with the throttle pinned trying to make it through the pack. Plus I'm a cheap ass.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk (http://tapatalk.com/m?id=1)

Unforgiven
01-15-2014, 04:42 PM
I won't run it. Too much pressure to try to run up front. The last thing anyone wants is my blind ass with the throttle pinned trying to make it through the pack. Plus I'm a cheap ass.

why run up front? you use the big boys to find all the card stops (just in case your co-pilots suck)..Don't worry Hotboat..just follow us..the worst thing that can happen is we end up at a bar....

Menace Marine
01-15-2014, 04:48 PM
Ok fine I'm just cheap.

Unforgiven
01-15-2014, 04:54 PM
Ok fine I'm just cheap.

just have Eric drive the boat...hell, I'm doing as Tony Scarlotta suggested..Shannon's driving!.....

Stainless
01-15-2014, 05:29 PM

You picked a bad day to ask a boating question. :p

CH3NO2

Singleton
01-15-2014, 05:30 PM
Attended for 6 years watching on the sidelines. Registered last year and ran the poker run and attended all events (Thursday through Sunday). Wife said she had more fun last year then the 6 years before that. Register before Feb 1, price goes up after the first.

Unforgiven
01-15-2014, 05:31 PM
You picked a bad day to ask a boating question. :p

CH3NO2

nope..a good day...we had to change the subject material up before anyone gets mad or banned.....

78Southwind
01-15-2014, 05:44 PM
We've been doing DS for about 5 years now as a spectator. If I didn't have a small potato chip hull I would run it at least once. I say run it, especially since you have your boat all dialed in with the new engine now.

SummerO
01-15-2014, 09:15 PM
My perspective is a bit different as there is NO WAY I would tow that far and NOT run it!

That said, II have no interest in running up front during the poker run (too much testosterone and not enough brain cells), but if they have a radar run you can bet I will find out how fast she will go!

Eli
01-15-2014, 09:19 PM
My perspective is a bit different as there is NO WAY I would tow that far and NOT run it!

That said, II have no interest in running up front during the poker run (too much testosterone and not enough brain cells), but if they have a radar run you can bet I will find out how fast she will go!

They have the shootout on Saturday.

Sent from my Bat Cave

Wendi
01-15-2014, 09:54 PM

Can't wait hope the boat is ready!!!

papaletch4130
01-15-2014, 10:06 PM
I have never drove down the street to watch.

Bobby V
01-15-2014, 11:11 PM
I have never drove down the street to watch.

Not even going to the street fair on Thursday.

Slacker
01-16-2014, 09:32 AM
I've just been a volunteer for the last 3 years. I watch it and still go to all the party's, dinners,,, etc. But we have run Monster Bash.
Oh Yeah,, run it and just take your time.

Paul65K
01-16-2014, 09:40 AM
I'm pretty sure I'm going to run it this year if a friend of mine is feeling better.......we agreed that we'd run together this year after just watching last year.

We'll certainly won't run with the big boys up front but it should be a fun time regardless!!

papaletch4130
01-16-2014, 10:05 AM
Not even going to the street fair on Thursday. no sir.

Wendi
01-16-2014, 12:07 PM
no sir.
That is weird you are sure missing out on a fun time!!! The entire event is such a blast... Lakeracer knows how to throw an awesome poker run.

Unforgiven
01-16-2014, 02:54 PM
That is weird you are sure missing out on a fun time!!! The entire event is such a blast... Lakeracer knows how to throw an awesome poker run.

Shannon and I were wondering.....Do you remember the entire event from last year??

Wendi
01-16-2014, 03:57 PM
Shannon and I were wondering.....Do you remember the entire event from last year??

Every bit of it. I just missed one night because I was tired and needed rest!

Unforgiven
01-16-2014, 04:44 PM
Every bit of it. I just missed one night because I was tired and needed rest!

We remember that night...so does our friend Chris...He brings it up everytime we bring up a Havi trip..I'm sure the homeless guy won't forget you either!

Stainless
01-16-2014, 04:46 PM
We remember that night...so does our friend Chris...He brings it up everytime we bring up a Havi trip..I'm sure the homeless guy won't forget you either!

Homeless guy???

CH3NO2

Unforgiven
01-16-2014, 04:49 PM
Homeless guy???

CH3NO2

I"ll tell you about it when I see you..Wendi can tell the story..I'll fill in the blanks

Skav
01-17-2014, 10:45 PM
I've run DS and MB. The water DS was way rougher than MB! My little 27 was getting worked. Both were a blast though and I'd run again in a heart beat.

I say we get a group of regular sized boats from HB and all run together;)

Tishimself
01-17-2014, 11:18 PM
I've run DS and MB. The water DS was way rougher than MB! My little 27 was getting worked. Both were a blast though and I'd run again in a heart beat.

I say we get a group of regular sized boats from HB and all run together;)

Color me crazy, but I am actually thinking about registering in the poker run part of it. Sounds like fun, and we would get out there early so we could do the charity boat rides on Weds and party a little with whoever we run into. So the question is, would this(our) boat be a good boat to run in DS?? Or is it too small?

WMC
01-18-2014, 07:50 AM
Color me crazy, but I am actually thinking about registering in the poker run part of it. Sounds like fun, and we would get out there early so we could do the charity boat rides on Weds and party a little with whoever we run into. So the question is, would this(our) boat be a good boat to run in DS?? Or is it too small?

You can do it. Also win some good cash.

Sent from my XT907 using Tapatalk

Eli
01-18-2014, 08:02 AM

Keep in mind the water is very choppy. Last year I was in a 33 foot boat and we felt the chop.

Sent from my Bat Cave

Singleton
01-18-2014, 08:21 AM
Run my 26 deck in the run. Yes it is choppy, but I have seen worse chop on other weekends. Last year was first year ruining the poker run and IMO it was not that bad. Only a couple spots were really choppy, but those spots are always choppy.

Skav
01-18-2014, 09:32 AM

YES! It looks about the same size as my boat. The biggest mistake I made last year, was that I screwed up and registered I the wrong (too fast) class. I was with 40'+ outerlimits, and other giant boats. I got the hole shot and had smooth water all the way to site 6. That's about when the big guys caught me... After that, it was like the perfect storm;) if I was smart, I would have chilled for a bit and let the water calm back down, but I just went for it.

Last year for MB, I ran with Throttle (Cameron) and a few other similar sized boats.

That's why I thought it would be fun to do it this year as a group with similar sized boats. Maybe we could get HB stickers made up, or something like that.

Who's down?

Tishimself
01-18-2014, 09:37 AM
YES! It looks about the same size as my boat. The biggest mistake I made last year, was that I screwed up and registered I the wrong (too fast) class. I was with 40'+ outerlimits, and other giant boats. I got the hole shot and had smooth water all the way to site 6. That's about when the big guys caught me... After that, it was like the perfect storm;) if I was smart, I would have chilled for a bit and let the water calm back down, but I just went for it.

Last year for MB, I ran with Throttle (Cameron) and a few other similar sized boats.

That's why I thought it would be fun to do it this year as a group with similar sized boats. Maybe we could get HB stickers made up, or something like that.

Who's down?

Well, it's more than that...I have never done anything like this before. Is there a class for folks who just want to run the course and get cards but not haul ass? I would like to be in it, but I am not about speed, just about having fun and collecting cards...is there a class for that??? Also, the boat is a 25' bowrider....not sure this is the thing for a bowrider if the waves are that big....hmmmm.....

Skav
01-18-2014, 09:42 AM
Well, it's more than that...I have never done anything like this before. Is there a class for folks who just want to run the course and get cards but not haul ass? I would like to be in it, but I am not about speed, just about having fun and collecting cards...is there a class for that??? Also, the boat is a 25' bowrider....not sure this is the thing for a bowrider if the waves are that big....hmmmm.....

Just sign up for the 45-65 class. Don't give it another thought! My tube is a 27' open bow, and it did great. Never had water in the boat/nothing over the bow. I may have over exaggerated. It was rough, but because we were trying to run fast. I've been on Mojave and Meed in way worse. The difference is that I didn't have it pinned the whole time. You'll be fine, and have a blast.

Tishimself
01-18-2014, 09:57 AM
Just sign up for the 45-65 class. Don't give it another thought! My tube is a 27' open bow, and it did great. Never had water in the boat/nothing over the bow. I may have over exaggerated. It was rough, but because we were trying to run fast. I've been on Mojave and Meed in way worse. The difference is that I didn't have it pinned the whole time. You'll be fine, and have a blast.

Does anyone know if there are still room available at the Nautical inn and how much they are going for??

Slacker
01-18-2014, 10:21 AM
As stated before it does get real choppy out there but thats why we love the Tri-Toon for spectating. My friends don't spill a drop while underway! It's perfect for spectating the Poker Run and Shoot Out.

Singleton
01-18-2014, 10:23 AM
Does anyone know if there are still room available at the Nautical inn and how much they are going for??

You have to be a registered DS participant to book a room at the Nautical. Once you are registered you can call and find out. Last year they were sold out by Feb 1. As with last year I ended renting a Condo with a RV garage and will taxi over to the Nautical to drink at night.

Class A and B are we're you want to run. I was in B last year and had a blast.

Skav
01-18-2014, 06:52 PM
You have to be a registered DS participant to book a room at the Nautical. Once you are registered you can call and find out. Last year they were sold out by Feb 1. As with last year I ended renting a Condo with a RV garage and will taxi over to the Nautical to drink at night.

Class A and B are we're you want to run. I was in B last year and had a blast.

That was my mistake. I ended up in group G.

28eliminator
01-18-2014, 06:54 PM
Don't dare ask what it cost to register for the poker run?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Singleton
01-18-2014, 08:14 PM

Price goes up Feb 1

Stainless
01-18-2014, 08:21 PM
Price goes up Feb 1

Besides the fun factor, some of the money goes to Havasu Youth charity?

CH3NO2

Singleton
01-18-2014, 09:36 PM
Besides the fun factor, some of the money goes to Havasu Youth charity?

CH3NO2

Portion goes to a few charities. I think the lake racer site goes into those details.

Tishimself
01-18-2014, 10:49 PM

I was playing on the website last nite, and the reg for the stuff I wanted to do came out to 650 bucks....so if it goes up from there on the first...I might say screw it...

28eliminator
01-18-2014, 11:02 PM
I was playing on the website last nite, and the reg for the stuff I wanted to do came out to 650 bucks....so if it goes up from there on the first...I might say screw it...

Just for the poker run??? Or more, holy crap!!!!

Singleton
01-18-2014, 11:06 PM
Just for the poker run??? Or more, holy crap!!!!

Poker run is currently 400, extra hands are 50 and I think extra people are 50 (you get 2 passes to everything in initial registration). If you want to display in street show it is extra and running the shoot out is extra.

28eliminator
01-18-2014, 11:12 PM
Poker run is currently 400, extra hands are 50 and I think extra people are 50 (you get 2 passes to everything in initial registration). If you want to display in street show it is extra and running the shoot out is extra.

This makes more sense... Thanks. Guess I'll consider it :)

WESTERNAERO
01-18-2014, 11:17 PM
This makes more sense... Thanks. Guess I'll consider it :)

Whatever! You know know you'll be watching the poker run on your phone from your hot tub. :happy:

28eliminator
01-18-2014, 11:22 PM
Whatever! You know know you'll be watching the poker run on your phone from your hot tub. :happy:

Bullshit... Already booked for this year pal.... Let's go

WESTERNAERO
01-18-2014, 11:27 PM
Bullshit... Already booked for this year pal.... Let's go

Lies, lies..... :lmao

28eliminator
01-18-2014, 11:32 PM
Lies, lies..... :lmao

I meant I have a room booked..lol. But thinking about the poker run...