PDA

View Full Version : Picture showing how bad our drought really is...

GRADS
01-14-2014, 12:18 PM
Folsom Lake can hold over 1,000,000 acre feet. To put it into perspective for you SoCalers, surface area wise it's over five times the size of Castaic. It's about 10 miles from the dam to pastie cove. Here's a side by side picture of the lake how it normally looks and how it looked last week at 17% capacity. This supplies the drinking water to a good portion of the Sacramento Valley. Our boating season will be over before it begins unless we get some serious water.

riverrunner1984
01-14-2014, 12:22 PM
Holy cow that is crazy low....

Unforgiven
01-14-2014, 12:25 PM
I guess we'll be boating at Tahoe or the Delta this year...

GRADS
01-14-2014, 12:28 PM
I guess we'll be boating at Tahoe or the Delta this year...

Most likely Tahoe....The Delta will be salt water now.

Unforgiven
01-14-2014, 12:32 PM

Tahoe it is...we'll meet you and the wifey up there...

Ziggy
01-14-2014, 01:26 PM
Our reservoirs here in Socal start like ponds and end up as slews. Time to relearn taking Navy Showers:thumb:

Eli
01-14-2014, 01:30 PM
Okay, but I already told Mrs.Daytona I'm not getting in the water ;)

Our reservoirs here in Socal start like ponds and end up as slews. Time to relearn taking Navy Showers:thumb:

I already take Navy showers! But, I'm not getting in until the water gets hot. I know that's a waste but I just can't do it.

Sent from my Bat Cave

3queens
01-14-2014, 02:12 PM
that's not good at all
some may remember the saying

if it' yellow let it sit a be mellow
if it's brown flush it down-----(not that brown)

boat will be selling cheap real soon

Wendi
01-14-2014, 02:16 PM
I hate Navy showers. But this is a serious issue. It's over 80 degrees in January and very little rain. Our Sierra's don't have enough snow to fill up our reservoirs. Get ready for water rationings in a city near you.

I want to go to Tahoe! It's so pretty up there but the lake is frigid.

314joey
01-14-2014, 02:45 PM
That's crazy, that's one reason we moved to Florida, we love going to Vegas and knew we had to be around water so we could boat, but it had to a whole lot warmer than the Midwest, we looked in the Southwest, but everything I looked at scared me about the water, all the people I knew out there always told me about not being able to water their grass or wash their car, then I heard the stories about the lakes drying up, that was it, Florida it was and never have regretted it, I hope you guys get lots of rain for the next ten years, I'm thinking you're going to need it.

GRADS
01-14-2014, 02:54 PM
that's not good at all
some may remember the saying

if it' yellow let it sit a be mellow
if it's brown flush it down-----(not that brown)

boat will be selling cheap real soon

Yep, I remember that saying....we're not to that point yet, but very soon.

We are thinking if the boat does sell soon(I have a couple buyers looking at it now) we might take the money and invest it for a year or until the lake recovers and buy a new boat at that point. In the mean time I'll pick up a paddle board for Mrs. Daytona. ;)

GRADS
01-14-2014, 07:16 PM
And FYI SoCal..... If NorCal has a drought you're super fucked.

Stainless
01-14-2014, 07:19 PM
And FYI SoCal..... If NorCal has a drought you're super fucked.

From what I've read about water treaties, so is AZ. CA and NV have more right to Colorado river water than AZ.

CH3NO2

icb1
01-14-2014, 09:44 PM
One of my customers lives in New Mexico, he said there lake is 100 vertical feet lower than normal. He also said you can see a hospital in a town that was flooded

Tishimself
01-14-2014, 10:19 PM
To give an idea of nutty this season is, lets talk about fog. Tully Fog, to be exact.

See this link if you don't know what it is.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tule_fog

When I lived in SoCal, we had fog, then I moved to Norcal and met Tully Fog. Trust me, that's FOG.

The point of all of this, is that there is a fog season up here. Usually gets started in November-ish, and ends in Feb-ish. When we know we are going to encounter fog, we double up the engineers on the head end, one being a "fog engineer" a second set of eyes to help the regular guy. At 80mph, we get less than one second to see and identify a signal and act on it. This is because the fog is so thick you literally can not see the rail in front of the engine. You are in a cloud so thick nothing is identifiable from Bakersfield to Fresno. Over one hundred miles. When I first started doing it, it terrified me, to an extent, it still does. But I do it, somehow.

Here is the deal. We have not called one, no, not one fog job this year so far. There has been no rain(the reason for the fog) at all this year. It is the strangest winter I have seen since moving up here. More like a light summer. Which makes it ever stranger that the rest of the fucking country is buried in snow and and freezing temperatures.....if we do not get some rain soon...we are fucked on a level most of these NorCal dumbasses cant imagine. I will hang up the boat for the summer. Fuck it. I'll hang out at Havasu and drink everyone's beer and mooch off their BBQ and crash out in their backyards and sneak my boat into their slips while they are gone.... ;)