PDA

View Full Version : Cali Boat Tax Question

Cigalert
12-31-2013, 01:49 PM
I got a letter a few weeks back from San Bernardino County tax assessor questioning my boat, where it's stored and where I live. It's stored in Havi full-time in the garage of my house. It's registered to Cali (previously registered in cali and previous owner lived in San Bernardino when I purchased it). I kept it registered in Cali since the value plus reg fees should technically be less expensive then non-resident AZ reg.

I get a letter yesterday stating I owe San Bernardino my tax money.

My question is, why am I getting a San Bernardino tax assessment when I live in Orange County and the boat isn't in either county? I have paid for a previously owned cali boat taxes but they were for OC and that boat was also purchased in San Bernadino. I'm not questioning the tax...I know what's involved. I'm wondering why OC isn't taxing me...or should I be expecting a letter?

Wendi
12-31-2013, 02:11 PM
You need to register it in Az with your havasu address and call it a day. And it's cheaper!

Cigalert
12-31-2013, 02:16 PM
You need to register it in Az with your havasu address and call it a day. And it's cheaper!

For your magic it's cheaper. For my toon it was cheaper. For an $11k boat it's not even close.

niceguyeddie
12-31-2013, 02:18 PM
For your magic it's cheaper. For my toon it was cheaper. For an $11k boat it's not even close.

True. They charge by the foot.

If you have a house in AZ not only should your boat be registered there, but all your AZ vehicles. Get yourself an AZ DL!

I register as a non resident in AZ (trailer in CA for towing purposes) and I pay around $230 a year. A little more than the $38 bucks or whatever it is for the other boat I have registered in CA, but no $200 luxury tax bill and my insurance is about $100 less for the AZ boat.

I also look at it this way. At Lake Havasu they're a ton of picnic/bbq areas on the AZ side and there is NOTHING on the CA side. CA doesn't contribute to the areas I like to boat so fuck em. Same reason I don't register my dog. It's a waste of money and gives me nothing back in return. Does the city come over and pick up the shit once a month or bring me a bag of food? Nope so piss off. :)

Wendi
12-31-2013, 02:18 PM

Oh really? Didn't know that. Ill have to check when I register the Campbell.

Cigalert
12-31-2013, 02:30 PM
True. They charge by the foot.

If you have a house in AZ not only should your boat be registered there, but all your AZ vehicles. Get yourself an AZ DL!

I register as a non resident in AZ (trailer in CA for towing purposes) and I pay around $230 a year. A little more than the $38 bucks or whatever it is for the other boat I have registered in CA, but no $200 luxury tax bill and my insurance is about $100 less for the AZ boat.

I also look at it this way. At Lake Havasu they're a ton of picnic/bbq areas on the AZ side and there is NOTHING on the CA side. CA doesn't contribute to the areas I like to boat so fuck em. Same reason I don't register my dog. It's a waste of money and gives me nothing back in return. Does the city come over and pick up the shit once a month or bring me a bag of food? Nope so piss off. :)

Can't register the cars out of state and have fastrack so that idea is out...I can't live without the toll road. Now the dog registration thing has my pissed because I got a visit a few months ago since they came looking for previous tenant who hasn't lived there for 4 years. His dog died 3 years ago. They tried mailing me a bill plus late charges for $400. Since my wifes first and last name is incorrect I'm not sure who they intended would get that letter. Based on history, I got another 4 years till they come back...I'll be long gone.

Oh really? Didn't know that. Ill have to check when I register the Campbell.

Cali is 1% of value plus some random odds and ends (I actually would like to know what the registration fees are going to be...still haven't received my DMV love letter). I got my truck registration (due today...LOL) and my DL renewal....no boat registration. I need to figure something out soon.

gn7
12-31-2013, 02:32 PM
There has been a couple law suits against the state about personal property tax on boats registered in AZ, stored in AZ and only used in AZ, and as far as I know, the state can still tax you for the boat if your work in Cal, your income is Cal, and your PRIMARY residence is Cal.

However, if the boat is registered in Cal, your are already paying that personal property tax thru the registration fees, and it makes no difference where you store or use the boat.
If you think you can dodge the tax by registering it in AZ and only using it in AZ, just hope they don't find out. And they are actively looking.

Ziggy
12-31-2013, 02:37 PM
This is the luxury tax you're talking about? From a county assessor you do not live in?
:confused::confused:
That makes no sense.:o

From my POS T-mobile thingie

niceguyeddie
12-31-2013, 02:42 PM
Can't register the cars out of state and have fastrack so that idea is out...I can't live without the toll road. Now the dog registration thing has my pissed because I got a visit a few months ago since they came looking for previous tenant who hasn't lived there for 4 years. His dog died 3 years ago. They tried mailing me a bill plus late charges for $400. Since my wifes first and last name is incorrect I'm not sure who they intended would get that letter. Based on history, I got another 4 years till they come back...I'll be long gone.

Cali is 1% of value plus some random odds and ends (I actually would like to know what the registration fees are going to be...still haven't received my DMV love letter). I got my truck registration (due today...LOL) and my DL renewal....no boat registration. I need to figure something out soon.

Woah you can't have a Fast Trak with AZ plates? Now that does suck. I couldn't go without having a transponder either!

I can't believe they sent you that bill. Animal Control came to my door about a year ago and said, "we know a dog lives here and you have 1 week to register him or else". I said, "I don't have a dog". They said, "yes you do". I said, "what evidence do you have that proves I have a dog to prosecute me for not paying?" As I stared at the city worker's stupid dumbfounded face I said, "you don't and without a warrant to search my property you never will. Now please leave." ...I then shut my door. They never came back :)

gn7
12-31-2013, 02:43 PM
This is the luxury tax you're talking about? From a county assessor you do not live in?

I agree. I'd tell SB to take a flying fuck.

CampbellCarl
12-31-2013, 03:03 PM
I found a notice under my front door mat (that I've used twice in ten years) collecting dog tag fees. The notice said to put the check where the notice was found. That check and envelope was under that door mat for about 2 years until I threw it away.

Cigalert
12-31-2013, 03:19 PM

I agree. I'd tell SB to take a flying fuck.

I guess that answers my original question. Not trying to dodge the tax....I know its coming. But getting it from a county that I have nothing to do with seems like someone is reaching.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk

gn7
12-31-2013, 03:27 PM
I guess that answers my original question. Not trying to dodge the tax....I know its coming. But getting it from a county that I have nothing to do with seems like someone is reaching.

47 million people sitting on their asses collecting welfare. States and counties are all trying to get the money anywhere and everywhere they can. Those 47 million sure as fuck aren't paying any taxes. And I imagine SB county has their fair share of the dead beat POS.

niceguyeddie
12-31-2013, 03:35 PM
47 million people sitting on their asses collecting welfare. States and counties are all trying to get the money anywhere and everywhere they can. Those 47 million sure as fuck aren't paying any taxes. And I imagine SB county has their fair share of the dead beat POS.

Well they had the worst real estate market in the USA from 2008-2011. Many of there politicians got busted for fraud and they're bankrupt.

Paul65K
12-31-2013, 03:43 PM

Cali is 1% of value plus some random odds and ends (I actually would like to know what the registration fees are going to be...still haven't received my DMV love letter). I got my truck registration (due today...LOL) and my DL renewal....no boat registration. I need to figure something out soon.All three of my AZ registered cars have Fastrack transponders and I use them when I travel back and forth......this is NOT a show stopper at all. I even manage them on the website and it will ask you which state the vehicle is registered in when you add or delete a car......think about it all the military personnel are not required to register their cars in CA so they have to do this.......the biggest issue is if you get pulled over and have a CA drivers license with a AZ registered vehicle or vice-versa. It;s not illegal by any means but it get the cop asking a lot of questions and he may give you a ticket for of all things tax evasion and you're pretty much guilty until proven innocent.....not fun.

It's the same thing with your boat.....if you register in AZ as a resident and when pulled over as asked for ID you have all the same questions going on as has been documented by LEO personnel on many boating websites......again it is technically legal if you truly do reside in AZ but who needs someone writing you a ticket and then having to provide tax returns to prove residence....for some people it just not worth the risk.

Cigalert
12-31-2013, 03:52 PM
I did the same thing. Got a new car....went on the website and it asked for state. 3 months later I got pulled over by a chippy on the 241. Cited me an actual violation #. I checked with the toll roads and sure as shit the code is there clear as day The chippy that got me said az plates were a problem because of no front plate...I mean....a Chevy truck is a rocket ship and nothing vertical on the front of the vehicle to reflect radar. This state is fucked.

Paul65K
12-31-2013, 04:06 PM
Weird....when I got notice in the mail of a violation after changing to AZ from CA plates I called them on the phone and they changed it to AZ for me right there on the phone as well as waiving the violation.....at least I got that going for me if I get pulled over :D

Singleton
12-31-2013, 04:29 PM
California resident. Boat is stored and insured in Az, but registered in Ca. Back in 2009, I submitted all paperwork (proof of Az insurance, Az storage contact and invoice to show current) to San Diego county and got a letter back stating I was exempt from the SD tax. I have had no issues registering boat in Ca since that date and no tax invoices either.

gn7
12-31-2013, 04:43 PM
California resident. Boat is stored and insured in Az, but registered in Ca. Back in 2009, I submitted all paperwork (proof of Az insurance, Az storage contact and invoice to show current) to San Diego county and got a letter back stating I was exempt from the SD tax. I have had no issues registering boat in Ca since that date and no tax invoices either.

That's because its paid in your CA registration. No different than a car.
But if you live in Cal, and make your income in Cal, they don't give a shit where the boat is registered, or stored, or used. You owe the tax.

Cigalert
12-31-2013, 06:25 PM
But if you live in Cal, and make your income in Cal, they don't give a shit where the boat is registered, or stored, or used. You owe the tax.

Right....but taxes to what county? Any county in the state is allowed to pool for taxes?

240Hallett
12-31-2013, 06:33 PM
Hey Cig, How much are they asking for? Just wondering, I have the same boat around the same year. Currently reg in AZ. Thanks

Cigalert
12-31-2013, 06:50 PM
Hey Cig, How much are they asking for? Just wondering, I have the same boat around the same year. Currently reg in AZ. Thanks

San bernardino is asking for $115.81

Mitch
12-31-2013, 07:06 PM
San bernardino is asking for $115.81

Its a State tax that is collected by the counties .....

240Hallett
12-31-2013, 07:11 PM
Thanks

240Hallett
12-31-2013, 07:12 PM
Its a State tax that is collected by the counties .....

County "Property tax"

Andy01
12-31-2013, 07:30 PM
You can mail a letter with prof of storage, no need to pay the tax.

Andy

Singleton
12-31-2013, 07:35 PM
You can mail a letter with prof of storage, no need to pay the tax.

Andy

X2. Have a letter from San Diego county saying that is right. Tax is only needed if boat is stored and used in Ca.

Ziggy
01-02-2014, 01:33 PM

Right....but taxes to what county? Any county in the state is allowed to pool for taxes?

Yeah, I can't quite get around the fact that you don't live in SB County yet they are taxing you:headscratch:. Maybe let your county know SB is stealing their tax revenue:rolleyes:P
Sure seems like a cluster to get someone smart enough in the assessors office to fix it properly.